DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,976

Anyone really turned off by the DVC "pitch"?

My husband and I went on the DVC tour at Saratoga Springs the other day. We were told that the entire thing would take 60-90 minutes and would be "no pressure." We were very disappointed to find out that was not going to be the case.

Our "tour" took a little more than two hours, and the guy who we were assigned to, Joe, gave us a VERY hard sell at the end. He left the room to give us time to think and write down questions, and when he came back, he kept asking us why we hadn't signed yet. We told him we needed a few nights to think about it, and he essentially called us stupid for not having already signed up, given how much money we spend on Disney vacations.

He was essentially asking us to fork over $500 immediately of our savings, having only been introduced to the idea of DVC two hours before.

Anyway, it completely soured us on even the idea of DVC. We just felt it was completely unprofessional to be accosted like that at Disney.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2 miles north of the Castle!
Posts: 21,418

That's surprising Amy. We've never had a hard-sell from DVC, but then again we've been members since 1995 and our last add-on was in early 2012.

You're wise to do all your research before signing anything.
__________________
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o
 
dianeschlicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lakeville, Minnesota
Posts: 39,925

That is NOT the way we have been treated when we have toured DVC. We have had multiple guides over the years, and while one of them was certainly a harder sell guy than the others, I would not call them hard sell at all compared to other timeshare presentations we have been to.
__________________
dianeschlicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer
 
MickeyFan612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 416

I'm 37 years old and have never been to a timeshare presentation nor do I plan to! I remember as a child my parents attending several which lasted hours netting them only cheap gifts! I've always figured anything that you must to be compensated through gifts and in some cases money to sit through could not be worth it- scams! Of course timeshares are not scams but their tactics often appear like!


My best friend is a DVC member and after she purchased direct and added on resale she introduced me to DVC! Now I own 14 contracts (13 resale-1 direct)!
Timeshares can seem complicated when you are first learning and the guides feel very strongly that once you are taught the system you should be ready to sign! My advice is for you to do your own research and contact them when you are ready to buy! In fact do this w/ every purchase no matter how big or small! A new purchase should make you feel good- if it doesn't walk away as you did!
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,976

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyFan612 View Post
Timeshares can seem complicated when you are first learning and the guides feel very strongly that once you are taught the system you should be ready to sign!!
Right, I totally think that was it, but what he was saying felt so completely condescending. He kept repeating that we obviously "didn't get it" and that he would explain the system to us again. I have been a DIS'er for a long time, I understand points and the DVC system. We were never prepared to sign away our savings that afternoon, and it felt terrible to have that pressure on us on our vacation.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
disneybaker
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyFan612 View Post
I'm 37 years old and have never been to a timeshare presentation nor do I plan to! I remember as a child my parents attending several which lasted hours netting them only cheap gifts! I've always figured anything that you must to be compensated through gifts and in some cases money to sit through could not be worth it- scams! Of course timeshares are not scams but their tactics often appear like!

My best friend is a DVC member and after she purchased direct and added on resale she introduced me to DVC! Now I own 14 contracts (13 resale-1 direct)!
Timeshares can seem complicated when you are first learning and the guides feel very strongly that once you are taught the system you should be ready to sign! My advice is for you to do your own research and contact them when you are ready to buy! In fact do this w/ every purchase no matter how big or small! A new purchase should make you feel good- if it doesn't walk away as you did!
How do you manage 14 contracts, how much are you paying in fees yearly, all same use year?
disneybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,068

We had 25 contracts at one time, at 6 resorts, most are 50 pointers, a 240, and 200. We recently sold 8, working towards 1 UY instead of 2. We were paying over $10 grand per year in dues, but we would vacation around 30 to 40 days per year at WDW. Now we are scaling back a bit.

We use Caskbill's DVC Tracker software to manage our points.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
My husband and I went on the DVC tour at Saratoga Springs the other day. We were told that the entire thing would take 60-90 minutes and would be "no pressure." We were very disappointed to find out that was not going to be the case.

Our "tour" took a little more than two hours, and the guy who we were assigned to, Joe, gave us a VERY hard sell at the end. He left the room to give us time to think and write down questions, and when he came back, he kept asking us why we hadn't signed yet. We told him we needed a few nights to think about it, and he essentially called us stupid for not having already signed up, given how much money we spend on Disney vacations.

He was essentially asking us to fork over $500 immediately of our savings, having only been introduced to the idea of DVC two hours before.

Anyway, it completely soured us on even the idea of DVC. We just felt it was completely unprofessional to be accosted like that at Disney.
Disney is a business and DVC is a cash cow. If you don't buy, The Guide doesn't get paid for the sale and poor performance could result in termination. He was probably a newer Guide under pressure to sell. Most Guide aren't as pushy.

If you vacation at Disney at least once a year at deluxe resorts or if you need larger accommodations, DVC may make financial sense and the buying process shouldn't be an issue. Buying resale is a huge cost savings but it has delays and other issues.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,976

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney is a business and DVC is a cash cow. If you don't buy, The Guide doesn't get paid for the sale and poor performance could result in termination. He was probably a newer Guide under pressure to sell. Most Guide aren't as pushy.

If you vacation at Disney at least once a year at deluxe resorts or if you need larger accommodations, DVC may make financial sense and the buying process shouldn't be an issue. Buying resale is a huge cost savings but it has delays and other issues.

Bill
That's interesting. He told us he was on salary, not commission, and had been there six years.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
That's interesting. He told us he was on salary, not commission, and had been there six years.
They may not call it a commission but they get more money for selling more. I also know of a Guide who was let go for not selling enough.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
That's interesting. He told us he was on salary, not commission, and had been there six years.
It's not "commission" per se, but there are sales expectations for every staff member.

They do receive a fixed salary. However, those who cannot meet expectations do not last long. Those who exceed expectations are eligible for bonuses and other rewards which accompany good performance.

Disney trains staff members but they cannot oversee every sale. Some DVC reps come from other sales positions--some selling other timeshares--and bring habits which are not necessarily in line with Disney philosophy.

Fortunately, your experience is reflective of a single DVC sales guide--not the philosophy Disney tries to instill in its employees.

If you want to have a positive impact on the situation, I would recommend speaking with a DVC sales manager. Briefly explain your interaction and how you were put-off by the Guide's actions. The manager can use that information to determine if additional training is necessary or perhaps--combined with feedback from others--determine that the individual is not a good fit for the organization. And they can also assign you to someone who is a better match for your own needs.

Good luck.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
jodifla

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Florida & Motown
Posts: 10,649

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
It's not "commission" per se, but there are sales expectations for every staff member.

They do receive a fixed salary. However, those who cannot meet expectations do not last long. Those who exceed expectations are eligible for bonuses and other rewards which accompany good performance.

Disney trains staff members but they cannot oversee every sale. Some DVC reps come from other sales positions--some selling other timeshares--and bring habits which are not necessarily in line with Disney philosophy.

Fortunately, your experience is reflective of a single DVC sales guide--not the philosophy Disney tries to instill in its employees.

If you want to have a positive impact on the situation, I would recommend speaking with a DVC sales manager. Briefly explain your interaction and how you were put-off by the Guide's actions. The manager can use that information to determine if additional training is necessary or perhaps--combined with feedback from others--determine that the individual is not a good fit for the organization. And they can also assign you to someone who is a better match for your own needs.

Good luck.

Yes, I agree with reporting him. This is not the way DVC should be sold! Ours was NO pressure, but we did buy 17 years ago.
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,068

You are buying a product, the Guide is there to convince you to buy the product.

Either the product saves you money or it doesn't, you will probably never see your Guide again unless you buy direct. I wouldn't let the experience put you off on the product.

Bill
__________________


Last edited by disneynutz; 08-17-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: sp
disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney is a business and DVC is a cash cow. If you don't buy, The Guide doesn't get paid for the sale and poor performance could result in termination. He was probably a newer Guide under pressure to sell. Most Guide aren't as pushy.
If this is the case, then blame DVC, not the guide. People respond to incentives and employers should be held accountable for setting up ones that lead directly to an undesirable behavior. Interesting though that this doesn't seem to be the norm.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,976

Thanks for all the responses. I sent an e-mail over to DVC today.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.