Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Having a "Me Party" - a Disney trip by myself! June 2013 update 9/9

Hey everyone! I'm very excited to share my trip report about my solo trip to Disney! This trip was planned a bit last minute - I only booked it about a month before I went. All the pieces sort of fell in place for it to happen. I already had an annual pass, and a family member offered me a DVC reservation that he wasn't going to use for free. So all I really had to pay for was my flight and food. Considering I had a $200 Disney gift card from my graduation that should cover food, I was in! It was also timed so that I could attend the wedding of two of my friends getting married down there, and I was super excited to be there for that.

Table of Contents

The Wedding
Checking in and the Fantasmic Dessert Party
Magic Kingdom Morning and Cape May Cafe
Animal Kingdom Afternoon
Epcot Morning
Epcot Afternoon
Animal Kingdom morning and Splitsville
Magic Kingdom Evening
Hollywood Studios Morning
The Best Way to End a Disney Trip
The End

About Me

My name is Becky, and I'm 25 years old. I've been married for almost two years, but I had to leave my husband at home for this one since he couldn't get the time off from work. I was actually really excited about trying a solo trip. I would get to do things that I wanted to do at my pace, and I would also be able to meet up with some of my friends down there. I currently work as a tutor, but I recently finished my degree in library science and I'm looking for a job as a children's librarian. I also do theater (currently in a production of Jekyll and Hyde), and I like to write (just finished a children's novel that I'm sending out to agents now).

The Trip
I was in Orlando from Wednesday, July 26th-Tuesday, July 2nd.

The Accommodations

I was super stoked to be staying in Animal Kingdom Lodge for this trip with a Savannah view. It was in Kidani Village since it was through DVC. I'd never stayed there before (the only on property places I've actually stayed is Port Orleans Riverside, Old Key West, and Caribbean Beach), and I was really looking forward to it!

The Schedule

The highlight of the trip was definitely going to be the wedding. Other than that, since I was flying solo some things were up in the air. It was also the first time I wasn't limited to one park per day - before I had the AP we never got park hoppers, and even with mine I always travelled with people that had one day one park tickets. But I had a basic plan in my mind before the trip:
Thursday - wedding stuff all day
Friday - Animal Kingdom
Saturday - Epcot
Sunday - Magic Kingdom
Monday - Hollywood Studios

Things definitely got shaken up a bit thanks to plans changing, but it all worked out really well for the most part! (Except for Hollywood Studios. That was not the best experience, but I'll get to that!)

Thank you for anyone joining in! I can't wait to tell you about the amazing time that I had!

Last edited by librarygeek; 09-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
rcroke
Mouseketeer

Oh fun!!! Subbing!
rcroke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Hi Becky, I too had a solo trip earlier this year, so I love to read about other's experiences. Solo trips are so unique.

Can't wait to hear about yours.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Carable
Mouseketeer

Sounds fun, I'm in! Congrats on your new degree, I'm a elementary school librarian and it is an awesome job.

DL - '85, '91, '94
WDW - '93, '95, '09 (1st time for kiddos)
May '13 - BLT
April '14 - CBR Pirate Room
Aug '14 POR Royal Room & Cruisin' on the Fantasy

Current TR: Mortimer Walt! A Spring Break Success Story
My 1st PTR/TR...My Deep Descent into Disney Madness...May 2013
Carable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
tiggerfan77
I clearly do not make it to WDW enough

Solo trip! Sounds great!
tiggerfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
lovelygirl1975
Mouseketeer

Subbing! Great pictures and the wedding looked beautiful. I was so concerned for luggage. Thank goodness that was worked put in a couple of sentences.

ASMu-2007, CSR-2012, CSR-2013, AKL-1/2014, CSR-10/2014
Offsite: 1991, 1993, 1996, 2005
lovelygirl1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePin Princess View Post
Great update! I loved that picture of the castle! I haven't met Merida or Tiana either and I've wanted to for a while.
Thank you! I was lucky to meet both of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelygirl1975 View Post
Subbing! Great pictures and the wedding looked beautiful. I was so concerned for luggage. Thank goodness that was worked put in a couple of sentences.
Welcome! Yes, even though the description was only a couple of sentences, and it was really only an hour and half that my luggage was missing, it did feel like forever! I was on the phone with my husband for a potion of it and he was keeping me calm, but then my phone battery was dying and with the charger in my luggage, well... but all's well that ends well!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Love you pics!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Hahaha, too funny that after all that you still went to Splash. Which is what I totally would have done as well.

Wait, did you copy my Bucket List? I had the same goal of a photo with every Princess, and Tiana was the last on the list. Of course then Disney went and coronated Merida, so now I'm back to missing one. I think I'll wait until she's in a Fastpass location though, hehe.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
klacey1
DIS Veteran

What a fun morning! You got some great character shots-- I love the ones with Chip & Dale and Tiana!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
rcroke
Mouseketeer

Your own private safari ride- fabulous!

So sorry about your friends Dessert party. Thats so disappointing to spend that much long and have family & friends travel for your wedding and for several handicapped guests to not be able to even enter the building- terrible!

Really enjoying your trip report! I have "me party" stuck in my head every time I read it lol.

-Dee
rcroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Just started reading!

I collect Beauty and the Beast vinylmations too!!! How COOL that you got the variant from a blind box!! Did you get the red or yellow?? the only one I need still is Belle!! I also started collecting Monsters U vinylmation.

Umm-- a private safari ride!!!?? That is awesome!! So jealous!

You got some really good pictures of the animals on both safaris. I love the male lion standing up and I love the giraffes on your private ride.

Wow that wedding is amazing! My dream wedding! I would love to get married there! I am so worried about the cost though

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation

Last edited by rachel09985; 07-20-2013 at 09:21 AM.
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroke View Post
Your own private safari ride- fabulous!

So sorry about your friends Dessert party. Thats so disappointing to spend that much long and have family & friends travel for your wedding and for several handicapped guests to not be able to even enter the building- terrible!

Really enjoying your trip report! I have "me party" stuck in my head every time I read it lol.

-Dee
lol I know, I am always singing that song now that I've been working on my trip report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Just started reading!

I collect Beauty and the Beast vinylmations too!!! How COOL that you got the variant from a blind box!! Did you get the red or yellow?? the only one I need still is Belle!! I also started collecting Monsters U vinylmation.

Umm-- a private safari ride!!!?? That is awesome!! So jealous!

You got some really good pictures of the animals on both safaris. I love the male lion standing up and I love the giraffes on your private ride.

Wow that wedding is amazing! My dream wedding! I would love to get married there! I am so worried about the cost though
Yeah! I got the yellow one. I really want Belle and the Beast but haven't been able to blind box them! So I'll probably have to end up buying them on ebay or something.

And thanks! I absolutely love taking pictures of the animals. I'm doing the Wild Africa trek tour next trip and I can't wait for that!

I'm friends with a number of DisBrides from the boards here, and I do know that it's expensive. They do have cheaper packages but then you don't get as much and can't invite as many people. For me it was much cheaper to do it at home, but hopefully someday when we have more money we can do a vow renewal or something
Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Epcot Morning

I had no real plans for the day other than to go to Epcot, but I made sure to get there right when it opened! I decided to head straight for Soarin' and get on that first, since the two "big" rides I wanted to do were that and Test Track, but I know that Test Track has a single rider line. So I rode Soarin' and had a pretty good time, though I had kinda the worst seat (third row and all the way on the end - I think it really does affect the enjoyability of the show and being in the front row is way better!).

As I was getting off I saw the sign to sign up for the Behind the Seeds tour, and on a whim I decided to do it. It seemed like good timing - it wasn't something I thought my DH would really be interested in, so it would save me money by doing it now on my own and not having to pay to bring him along. Plus I didn't have any real plans for the day and I thought doing a tour would be fun!

I still had some time before the tour started, so I headed over to Test Track and hopped on the single rider line. The only thing I don't like about it is that you don't get the chance to design your own car as a single rider. They have a very basic version but it's not nearly as fun and detailed as the regular one. After Test Track I stopped in at MouseGear, especially since I had gotten a 20% off coupon after buying my Behind the seeds tour admission! I bought a laptop case since I just got a new laptop and wanted to get a Disney one

Then it was back to the Land for the tour! It was a really interesting experience. I'm not a gardener or anything, but I enjoy learning about many things. We started out by going backstage and learning/observing some of the pest control methods that they use.

We then headed into the greenhouses and our guide gave us some in depth information about how they grow the plants there. There are many methods, including hydroponics.

There was also one really cool plant whose leaves shrivelled up when you touched it! Here's the before picture of the plant:

And the "after" picture, after the guide had shaken it up a bit!

Crazy to think it's the same plant! And then after about half an hour the leaves go back to normal. We also got to taste the cucumbers they grow there, and we released ladybugs into the greenhouses.

We learned some interesting things (I won't talk about all of them here in case anyone plans on taking the tour and wants to be surprised!) and it was neat to walk around backstage and get a closer look at everything.

Hidden Mickey!

The tour ended around 11:30 and I was getting a bit hungry for lunch. I wanted to eat somewhere in the World Showcase so I headed that way. I also wanted to try and meet Mulan in China, since she was the last princess I didn't have a photo with! (I know it's debatable on whether or not she's technically a princess, but I consider her one!). I didn't want to sit around in China waiting til noon, so I stopped in Norway and hopped on Maelstrom.

Then it was time for China!

And sure enough, I only had to wait a few minutes until Mulan came out! Very happy to have gotten this picture

I decided to go to Japan for lunch and visited the Katsura Grill. I had the tempura shrimp and noodles, which was very good. And I had good timing, as it started raining while I was in there! I took my time eating and just waited the rain out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: