Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Epcot Rumors...

Anyone else heard? Posted on another site.

""2015 - New Attraction - Rumor - (3/22/13) In a new interview on the Season Pass Podcast with Disney Parks Dir. Jerry Rees, he mentions a new mystery project is in the works for Epcot that will open in 2015. Iíve yet to hear anything solid on what this could be just yet, but Iíll make a couple of guesses.
Iíll be surprised if they are working on any new ride or major attraction in World Showcase, so lets leave that half of the park out for now. There are two obvious points that should be address in Future World at the moment however... either a new attraction to replace Captain EO once and for all (which is always a benefit, as they can clone it out to the other Disney parks who also have the same need), or to finally put something new into the old Wonders of Life pavilion. Itís got to drive Disney management crazy to have a big pavilion like that just sitting there empty, along with the fact that it was once home to a couple of popular attractions: Cranium Command and the Body Wars simulator ride. Since Body Wars was based on the Star Tours hardware, Iíd love to see it get upgraded and put to use again as well... assuming any of the cabins are still in there and werenít scrapped for parts long ago. As a third guess... Iíd throw a much needed upgrade or transformation at the Universe of Ellen...err... Universe of Energy into the mix as a possible concept too. Anyone else know more?""
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

According to Wikipedia:
On September 11, 2012, Walt Disney Imagineering filed a notice of commencement with the Orange County Comptrollerís office indicating the intentions for a Ďselective demolitioní to take place at Epcotís ĎWonders of Lifeí pavilion, making the theory of re-opening even more unlikely. The notice came a few weeks prior to the theme parkís 30th anniversary. There were no specifics given on what was going to be demolished at the pavilion.

Don't know what this does or does not illuminate.

I wondered where Cranium Command disappeared from. I visited in 1991, but then wasn't back until 2009.

Wished I had the chance to visit more frequently before now. 2009, 2011, 2012, ?2013?, much better
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
CtinaDitty
Disney Fanatic

Updates to Epcot would be great. I'd be sad to see the Pavilion go. I have a lot of good memories from there and would love to see it turned into something new! It'd be nice for Epcot to have another major attraction, but as you said, it could seem a little far-fetched.

Maybe a new country in the World Showcase?
CtinaDitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

Maybe it's about rumored Brazil pavilion?
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Lets hope is India!!!!
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
MATTinNH
Mouseketeer

Filing for the Demo work could actually be good news for a possible refub of that area. WDW and Uni sometimes have to do that even if they are just demo'ing the inside of astructure, meaning maybe its being gutted.

I wouldnt be completely surprised to see them retofit this into more of an heath type pavillion. Much more ativity based. Health and exersize is a very hot new trend, between the Nike fuel band, the fit bit, all the new apps and software, the gaming options like xbox kenect, Samsung made health, and diet and healthy living a big part of the new Galaxy S4.

It is future world, it would be intersting to see them team up with Nike, Apple, Samsung, whomever, and show us how Tech will influence health in the future.
MATTinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Disneykidsdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWA2 View Post
Maybe it's about rumored Brazil pavilion?
Just what we need. Another reason for more people from Brazil to visit.

Disneykidsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
Anyone else heard? Posted on another site.

""2015 - New Attraction - Rumor - (3/22/13) In a new interview on the Season Pass Podcast with Disney Parks Dir. Jerry Rees, he mentions a new mystery project is in the works for Epcot that will open in 2015. Iíve yet to hear anything solid on what this could be just yet, but Iíll make a couple of guesses.
Iíll be surprised if they are working on any new ride or major attraction in World Showcase, so lets leave that half of the park out for now. There are two obvious points that should be address in Future World at the moment however... either a new attraction to replace Captain EO once and for all (which is always a benefit, as they can clone it out to the other Disney parks who also have the same need), or to finally put something new into the old Wonders of Life pavilion. Itís got to drive Disney management crazy to have a big pavilion like that just sitting there empty, along with the fact that it was once home to a couple of popular attractions: Cranium Command and the Body Wars simulator ride. Since Body Wars was based on the Star Tours hardware, Iíd love to see it get upgraded and put to use again as well... assuming any of the cabins are still in there and werenít scrapped for parts long ago. As a third guess... Iíd throw a much needed upgrade or transformation at the Universe of Ellen...err... Universe of Energy into the mix as a possible concept too. Anyone else know more?""
~Wow, thanks for the update! I bet it's Oz!!! Future World needs help, it needs to be redefined and the Land of Oz, could do it! Plus, Epcot featured a fabulous OZ themed garden, so it could be a sign of things to come!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

I would also be happy if they brought back Jeremy Irons
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

two things... firstly the source of the original post was screamscape incase anyone was wondering.

secondly, strangely, right below that post on screamscape is a post from october last year about a rumour of a major renovation to France in world showcase possibly with the inclusion of DLRP's Ratatouille dark ride coming to Epcot. Not sure why screamscape arent considering that as the possible new attraction in this latest rumour.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

My understanding of the "selective demolition" at Wonders of Life was that it was mostly about Food & Wine offerings there. There seems little chance of actual attractions returning there, especially as Disney progresses more toward the idea of perpetual F&W/F&G at that park.

At this point, Epcot is just a generic theme park. Further reinforcing how Disney has lost the plot with it, recently I watched a Disney issued planning video purporting to be about Epcot. It consisted of some woman walking around talking about how much she loves World Showcase.

The easy choice would be a replacement for EO. Little real investment required, beyond a refurb/update of the theater and the production costs of a new 3D/4D film. Nothing like the cost of a brand new, from the ground up, attraction. If I wanted to really go out on a limb, I'd say they're putting in a new ride at one of the World Showcase pavilions. I don't expect it to be happening though.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Wow, thanks for the update! I bet it's Oz!!! Future World needs help, it needs to be redefined and the Land of Oz, could do it! Plus, Epcot featured a fabulous OZ themed garden, so it could be a sign of things to come!
What possible tie in does OZ have with Future World? I mean even Avatar land has the conservation tie in with DAK
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post

What possible tie in does OZ have with Future World? I mean even Avatar land has the conservation tie in with DAK
And fantasic creatures...
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb

Nothing...

Drdisney has fallen into the biggest trap/delusion on the Internet this time:

The statement that there is anyway possible that Disney is looking to sink a half billion in construction costs and employee commitments in perpetuity to a movie that has done decent to well the past couple of weeks and will fade quickly once the next flick comes out...if it hasn't already.

Ok...pet peeve time...
Disney does NOT build rides based on new movies...nor does anyone else really for that matter.

This doesn't happen.
The last ride or show based on a new movie was its tough to be a bug...and that was at an animal
Park that had its plans brutally slashed during construction and needed SOMETHING on opening day.

Not just in Orlando...anywhere in disneydom.

The rule of theme park tie ins is this:
Wait five years and if its still selling junk at target, the Disney store and world of Disney...then it might be considered.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
momof2intx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

Ok...pet peeve time...
Disney does NOT build rides based on new movies...nor does anyone else really for that matter.

This doesn't happen.
The last ride or show based on a new movie was its tough to be a bug...and that was at an animal
Park that had its plans brutally slashed during construction and needed SOMETHING on opening day.

Not just in Orlando...anywhere in disneydom.

The rule of theme park tie ins is this:
Wait five years and if its still selling junk at target, the Disney store and world of Disney...then it might be considered.
What about Toy Story and Cars? They built a whole land in CA based on a movie....

1989-1990 AP Holder, 5/1994- offsite, 10/2002 - Disneyland, 5/2003- Buena Vista Palace, 5/2005-Hyatt Grand Cypress, 5/2006- Universal Studios,7/2007- POP , 2/2009 - CBR , 7/2009 POR, 6/2011, AKL, 6/2013 - CBR!!!

momof2intx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: