Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
JKeenz
Enduring the long wait until the next trip....
 
JKeenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 49

Paying cash instead of DDP?

We are heading to WDW in early May and staying at Caribbean Beach. We have made several ADRs, but at this point we have not purchased the DDP, which we have always used in the past.

We are not huge eaters, but obviously know that the food costs can add up quick. Thing is, if given the choice, we are likely to eat dessert every night (and then feel lousy afterwards). We are thinking we will keep our receipts and figure what we spend on food, so that in the future we will know for sure if the DDP is truly worth it for us.

Has anyone else done this? Thoughts on whether we should add the DDP?
__________________
Julia

Expecting our little boy in July 2014
Hoping to take him on his first trip in November 2015... Mommy & Daddy can't wait to get back!

September 2013 - Disneyland - one day during our trip to SoCal
May 2013 – Caribbean Beach
May 2012 – Coronado Springs – With Mom for Mother’s Day
October 2011 – Port Orleans French Quarter – Honeymoon!
November 2010 – Coronado Springs – Got Engaged!
July 2008 – Pop Century
April 1993 - Off-Property
February 1991 - Off-Property
February 1987 - Off-Property

JKeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,022

Our last 2 Trips we used the DxDP which we did for the convience, not to save money. Our March 2012 trip we just broke even and our Nov/Dec trip I did not even bother to add up what our meals came to since we ened up skipping a few TS Dinners, Kouzzina's and Le Cellier due to illness so I am sure we lost $

For our Fall trip we have decided to go back to paying OOP. I am in the process now of looking at menus of where we most likely will eat and estimating what the cost will be.

I plan on buying a gift card/s to pay for our meals. Right now I am thinking $500-750 should cover us for our 6 days.

The DDP would run for the 2 of us $555.90 and the DxDP $999.70, but we most likely will not be eating an App, Entree, & Dessert each time we sit down
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

We always do the DDP but thats just because we crunched the numbers and it worked out best for our family. (We like to eat alot)
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
JKeenz
Enduring the long wait until the next trip....
 
JKeenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 49

Thank you for the input! I was also thinking of putting our food money on gift cards, so maybe we will try that for this trip and crunch the numbers afterwards for future reference!

<3 JULIA <3 May 2013  Caribbean Beach May 2012  Coronado Springs  With Mom for Mothers Day October 2011  Port Orleans French Quarter  Honeymoon! November 2010  Coronado Springs  Got Engaged! July 2008  Pop Century February 1987  Off-Property, February 1991  Off-Property, April 1993  Off-Property
__________________
Julia

Expecting our little boy in July 2014
Hoping to take him on his first trip in November 2015... Mommy & Daddy can't wait to get back!

September 2013 - Disneyland - one day during our trip to SoCal
May 2013 – Caribbean Beach
May 2012 – Coronado Springs – With Mom for Mother’s Day
October 2011 – Port Orleans French Quarter – Honeymoon!
November 2010 – Coronado Springs – Got Engaged!
July 2008 – Pop Century
April 1993 - Off-Property
February 1991 - Off-Property
February 1987 - Off-Property

JKeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
sharonabe
DIS Veteran
 
sharonabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,027

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeenz View Post
We are heading to WDW in early May and staying at Caribbean Beach. We have made several ADRs, but at this point we have not purchased the DDP, which we have always used in the past.

We are not huge eaters, but obviously know that the food costs can add up quick. Thing is, if given the choice, we are likely to eat dessert every night (and then feel lousy afterwards). We are thinking we will keep our receipts and figure what we spend on food, so that in the future we will know for sure if the DDP is truly worth it for us.

Has anyone else done this? Thoughts on whether we should add the DDP?
The difficulty you may find yourself with is still ordering exactly what you WANT to eat with no regard to the cost. Since this is an "experiment" for you, I urge you to do just that even if it means you spend more than the DDP. You also need to still eat at the restaurants you want with or without DDP.

My family is a family of 4 Disney adults. There's no way we can eat 4 desserts at every meal. We prefer to drink water with the occasional soda/coffee. We don't eat 4 snacks each day. I have one picky eater that we have to work around. I've perused the menus and know we can eat all 3 meals per day, with one TS per each day (including a buffet or two) for right around $50 per person per day including tax and tip. So even though we might not get all the desserts, snacks, and drinks the DDP provides, we get what we WANT to eat, have 3 meals per day instead of 2, and spend less than the DPP.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!
 
stayhomemom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Courtice, ON
Posts: 1,310

I'm another advocate for paying OOP. At present, our family can eat quite well at Disney with an average of $120 a day...when DD turns 10 this summer that will increase a little obviously but it's still a cheaper and more flexible option for our family even with the price increase.

I like smaller portions and appetizers and I rarely eat dessert. So the dining plan doesn't really make sense for me. Though we've done the DDP and the DxDD and enjoyed them...i think in future, we'll always avoid being locked in by dining plans.
stayhomemom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
ironpig70
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,134

Since I have only been once and paid OOP I was curious also.

A couple weeks ago somebody posted an awesome spread sheet the wold crunch the numbers for you. I did that and then I did a spread sheet of likely meals and it was was close either way. Many factors would sway it one way or the other like if we drank water at every meal or no desserts.

One of the things with my situation is we would be doing several of the character meals.

Also my family is 2 adults, a teen age girl and 2 kids.

The buffets about cover a days cost for the kids so that is a big factor.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
wendow
DIS Veteran
 
wendow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,432

We've only been once and I debated big time on whether to do the DDP or just pay OOP. After going through the menus and coming up with sample meals, I decided we would just pay OOP. Part of my reasoning was I didn't know which DDP to choose. We wanted to eat a TS about every third day for dinner, a QS almost everyday for lunch and a QS the days we didn't do a TS for dinner. And eat breakfast in our room. We are water drinkers and not really dessert eaters.

Had we done the meal plan, it would have cost our family $1367.55 for the QS plan. And we would have needed to pay OOP for the TS meals we did.

I kept every single receipt including food bought at our airport here in Denver and the airport in Orlando so I would have a total of what we spent. We ended up spending around $825 for the entire time (including airport food).

Now, a disclaimer, my 10yo dd ordered off the kid's menu for almost every meal. The only time we paid adult pricing for her was at a buffet. And my almost 4yo sometimes ate off my plate rather than getting a meal of his own. But that is flexibility we had as cash customers rather than being on the DDP and paying adult prices for a 10yo that would rather have chicken strips.

We also sometimes did buy a drink but mostly drank water. We did get a few desserts. We also ordered whatever we wanted and never tried to order less or share meals (other than with the little ones).

I prefer paying OOP even if I spent the same b/c I just prefer the flexibility but I know just as many prefer the DDP b/c it's convenient to have it all paid for so it's really a personal thing. I do think you can spend less if paying OOP for the average person.

Also, I paid for all our meals with gift cards I had bought at a discount but I didn't factor that savings in b/c I would have paid for the DDP with discounted gift cards too.

Hopefully, some of that makes sense and helps
__________________


me , dh , dd14 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
bocaj1431
Mouseketeer
 
bocaj1431's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
We've only been once and I debated big time on whether to do the DDP or just pay OOP. After going through the menus and coming up with sample meals, I decided we would just pay OOP. Part of my reasoning was I didn't know which DDP to choose. We wanted to eat a TS about every third day for dinner, a QS almost everyday for lunch and a QS the days we didn't do a TS for dinner. And eat breakfast in our room. We are water drinkers and not really dessert eaters.

Had we done the meal plan, it would have cost our family $1367.55 for the QS plan. And we would have needed to pay OOP for the TS meals we did.

I kept every single receipt including food bought at our airport here in Denver and the airport in Orlando so I would have a total of what we spent. We ended up spending around $825 for the entire time (including airport food).

Now, a disclaimer, my 10yo dd ordered off the kid's menu for almost every meal. The only time we paid adult pricing for her was at a buffet. And my almost 4yo sometimes ate off my plate rather than getting a meal of his own. But that is flexibility we had as cash customers rather than being on the DDP and paying adult prices for a 10yo that would rather have chicken strips.

We also sometimes did buy a drink but mostly drank water. We did get a few desserts. We also ordered whatever we wanted and never tried to order less or share meals (other than with the little ones).

I prefer paying OOP even if I spent the same b/c I just prefer the flexibility but I know just as many prefer the DDP b/c it's convenient to have it all paid for so it's really a personal thing. I do think you can spend less if paying OOP for the average person.

Also, I paid for all our meals with gift cards I had bought at a discount but I didn't factor that savings in b/c I would have paid for the DDP with discounted gift cards too.

Hopefully, some of that makes sense and helps
Could you let me know how you purchased discounted gift cards?
__________________
bocaj1431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
Since I have only been once and paid OOP I was curious also.

A couple weeks ago somebody posted an awesome spread sheet the wold crunch the numbers for you. I did that and then I did a spread sheet of likely meals and it was was close either way. Many factors would sway it one way or the other like if we drank water at every meal or no desserts.

One of the things with my situation is we would be doing several of the character meals.

Also my family is 2 adults, a teen age girl and 2 kids.

The buffets about cover a days cost for the kids so that is a big factor.
do you have a link to this spreadsheet??

we are going in August after our Disney cruise...the last two years we purchased the dining plan but I'm thinking i'm better off OOP....i'm a big eater at breakfast and dinner, my wife and daughter barely eat breakfast and are moderate dinner eaters...

this is exactly the thread i was looking for ...
__________________
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.