Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Really no benefit to stay "on Property" anymore

They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
They are taking away all the perks of staying at a Disney hotel. It's not worth paying the extra $$$$. Stay off site, and extend your vacation.
I disagree for now at least. We'll see what evolves in the coming months and years.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I disagree for now at least. We'll see what evolves in the coming months and years.
I totally agree, I definitely believe something big will come for those that say at Disney resorts.

To the OP: why do you feel that way?
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie

I totally agree, I definitely believe something big will come for those that say at Disney resorts.
I'm betting its tied to FP+

Lorilais_mommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Dan Murphy
We are family.

When I enter the WDW arch on my first day, I am in that Disney vacation atmosphere until I go under that arch again 7, 8 or so days later. It is a marvelous cocoon they have created for their guests.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net
April 26-May 3, see you there?

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
When I enter the WDW arch on my first day, I am in that Disney vacation atmosphere until I go under that arch again 7, 8 or so days later. It is a marvelous cocoon they have created for their guests.
Well said.

The Resorts are "part" OF Disney World to me,just like the Parks.
WEDWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
bgraham34
Wilderness Lodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I agree with you for the moment. If EMH is removed and I suspect that it will be in the coming years, there will be no one perk to benefit staying on property. Having DME would not be worth the hundreds more to stay onsite. You might have to rent a car but at least having your own car is easier to get to three of the parks. MK will take you longer but at least no more waiting for a bus.

bgraham34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

It will be interesting to see what happens 'when' (if) EMHs are discontined. I'm not at all sure that it will mean fewer people staying onsite. I stay onsite (have never, ever stayed offsite) and I don't usually go to EMHs!
But, what will happen if people start leaving WDW resorts and begin to stay offsite?? Better discounts for those that choose to stay onsite. I would be happy with that.
I have to wonder if parking fees will go up if Disney sees more people staying offsite and driving themselves to the parks.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
sydneysmom
Always dreaming about Cpt Jack Sparrow

The great thing is, there's something for everyone and if it doesn't suit you, there's always "off property". For us, we'll never stay off property. I've done it once and hated it. For us, we like to be immersed in the whole Disney experience. It's part of going to Disney. Now, everyone views it differently... but we don't venture out or eat out past Disney, nor do we go to Universal or Sea World. If we did, maybe that's another story.

But I love that you can check in and not worry about transportation or anything for a week. It's wonderful.

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

THE 2 Biggest perks are ..no renting cars..no worries about luggage if flying, IT was nice getting on ME having someone else drive us and not worry about going and waiting for luggage in the airport. and Disney transportation. Now its cheaper to stay off site for sure. But to each his own, i do both depending on my financial situation for the trip.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens 'when' (if) EMHs are discontined. I'm not at all sure that it will mean fewer people staying onsite. I stay onsite (have never, ever stayed offsite) and I don't usually go to EMHs!
But, what will happen if people start leaving WDW resorts and begin to stay offsite?? Better discounts for those that choose to stay onsite. I would be happy with that.
I have to wonder if parking fees will go up if Disney sees more people staying offsite and driving themselves to the parks.
You always have an interesting take on everything. I agree. If only more people would be disappointed with staying on property! Then there would be better pricing and availability for those of us that like staying on property.

I actually have stayed off property a few times and always miss and pine for being on property. (Stayed off when young, no money, and no idea what staying on property involved. Also stayed off for different trips where DH or I had work conferences.) I think that occasionally staying off property makes me appreciate being on property all the more. (Did it in October of 2012 and so I won't need to stay off for another 10 years or so.)

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

IMO EMH is being eliminated "for now".

Then low and behold a couple years down the road-you can pay an additional $19.99 for EE and your wrist band will let you in.

Or for $29.99 you can stay a few hours after closing and your wrist band will light up the Mickey, allowing you on attractions after hours.

Or if you buy DVC, or stay Deluxe, or something along this line-again IMO.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
rdaughtery
Earning My Ears

Why do you say that? Basically, my favorite perk is the fact that the bus just drops us off right at the main gate. I couldn't imagine parking in the parking lot, and going through all the hoopla just to get in the park. Magic hours are not a good thing in my opinion anyways, because the park gets way to crowded!
rdaughtery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaughtery
Why do you say that? Basically, my favorite perk is the fact that the bus just drops us off right at the main gate. I couldn't imagine parking in the parking lot, and going through all the hoopla just to get in the park. Magic hours are not a good thing in my opinion anyways, because the park gets way to crowded!
And magical express!
These options alone is why DH will never let me book offsite again!

Unless they are offering FREE rental cars! ;-)

DH drives in heavy traffic everyday.. Not having to to drive anywhere HUGE perk for us!

Lorilais_mommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
DH drives in heavy traffic everyday.. Not having to to drive anywhere HUGE perk for us!
While I do not drive in heavy traffic (LOL!) I live very rural. 45 minutes to "real" stores--7 miles to the nearest gas station and during farmers market months, I drive 3 hours round trip 3x/week.

When I get to WDW I don't WANT to drive!!

Yes, I agree w/OP that room rates are getting out of hand--even the value resorts!! Or maybe I should say "especially the value resorts." Rack rates of $130+ per night are just absurd.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: