Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

Liquid question for flights

Is there a limit as to how much water you can pack in your checked luggage?

I'm not sure if this would work or how well it would travel but I was thinking about packing one suitcase with 24 bottles of water since SW has bags fly free. I would of course try to pack it as tight as possible with lots of plastic around it.

Has anyone done this and how did it turn out?
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

abk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Weight limit is 50 pounds.
A half liter bottle of water weighs a little over a pound.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
abk96
Remember the true heroes, our police, firefighters, and the brave men and women in the military. Thank you for keeping us safe.

I know weight limits. I was wondering if they restrict you like they do with carry on liquids.
July'09 BWV--June'12 BC-CL--July/Aug'13 BWI-CL--July/Aug'14 GF-SL and BWI--Feb'15 Sports

Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

No, not if it is water and factory-sealed. Please double-bag it with something absorbent between the inside and outside bags, such as wads of paper towels. If the pressure change causes a seal to break, you could soak someone else's luggage unless you have some way to reliably contain the leak within your bag.

FYI, there is a limit on personal transport of alcoholic beverages in most cases, but not because of any terrorism issue; it is because of tariff limits on transporting alcohol over state lines without paying state excise tax on it -- also known as bootlegging.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
No, not if it is water and factory-sealed. Please double-bag it with something absorbent between the inside and outside bags, such as wads of paper towels. If the pressure change causes a seal to break, you could soak someone else's luggage unless you have some way to reliably contain the leak within your bag.

FYI, there is a limit on personal transport of alcoholic beverages in most cases, but not because of any terrorism issue; it is because of tariff limits on transporting alcohol over state lines without paying state excise tax on it -- also known as bootlegging.
Never thought about the pressure changes. Maybe this wouldn't be a great idea after all.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post

Baggage compartments of airliners a pressurized as part of the same system as the passenger compartment. If you experience pressure changes sufficient to mess with a commercial container, you probably have bigger problems.

OP might want to consider a "Brita" bottle with filter to carry as an option. Just refill as necessary. Cheaper in the long run and environmentally friendlier.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Baggage compartments of airliners a pressurized as part of the same system as the passenger compartment. If you experience pressure changes sufficient to mess with a commercial container, you probably have bigger problems.

OP might want to consider a "Brita" bottle with filter to carry as an option. Just refill as necessary. Cheaper in the long run and environmentally friendlier.
But wouldn't it be the same as packing large bottles of shampoo,conditioner, mouthwash (most like water), etc like we do every trip and never have a problem.

I put them in a large plastic bag just in case. But never had any leakage ever in 10 trips.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk96 View Post
I know weight limits. I was wondering if they restrict you like they do with carry on liquids.
No, they don't restrict it, however, we do have water here in FL. Not very expensive either.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
No, they don't restrict it, however, we do have water here in FL. Not very expensive either.
Ha Ha!
Disney does charge a lot for a bottle of water.

We used to get our water sent from Costco but the last time Disney charged us $10 per box. Crazy.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ha Ha!

We used to get our water sent from Costco but the last time Disney charged us $10 per box. Crazy.
Overweight charges are a lot more than $10

If you are in the area, we went to the Hess across from BWV for a few things and it was great.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Ha Ha!

FWIW not all Disney resorts charge to receive packages, only the convention resorts because they receive so many. So depending on the resort your staying at this time you may or may not be charged.

I use a grocery delivery service for water, soda juice, snacks, cold breakfast and some sandwich items - IMHO well worth the $14-18 delivery fee for them to shop and deliver! I use wegoshop but garden grocer gets good reviews as well.

I wouldn't pack liquids in my checked bag for fear of damage to luggage - mine and other passengers.

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ha Ha!

Yes, Disney does charge a lot for water, however, we have stores here too.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
The TSA website and asking the actual questions for which one is seeking response result in the most accurate replies.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
abk96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
The TSA website and asking the actual questions for which one is seeking response result in the most accurate replies.
What?

Never mind. I'll decide myself.

Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: