Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Minimum age of 14 to enter parks alone: Starts March 23rd

Looks like DIsney is finally worried a little about liability. What does everyone think, too young, too old?

Also, it does not say they need to be accompanied throughout the park, just that they need to be accompanied at admission...

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/disney...lone-1C8910402
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

It can't hurt, but as stated in the article, they will have no way of really knowing the ages-- unless they have it encoded in the pass-- which still could be misinformation given at the time of purchase--or unless the kid is like 8--
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

I personally think that the policy should be based on the age that adult tickets are required. Bottom line is if someone has to pay the adult price, they should be treated as an adult.

So I see two viable options, lower the minimum age to match the current ticket policy or raise the child ticket age limit to 13 and under.

I can honestly envision some lawsuits if they don't match. I don't know who would win, but they cost money to defend, which in turn raises prices for everyone.

I can also see some issues, say that a 13 year old is at Disneyland with Mom and Dad. Mom decides to go DCA and Dad stays at DL. Now Dad has to leave to go to work, so the kid wants to join Mom, does that mean that Mom must now leave the park to come get the 13 year old, who is perfectly capable of switching parks?

Or what if this same group needs a locker and all of the lockers inside the parks are full (happens a lot during the summer). Now, lets say Mom and Dad have mobility issues or get hurt and are in first aid, but the kid needs to get something out of the locker. What happens in cases like this?

I can see this causing a lot more problems than just these. Additionally, I know many 14 year olds that shouldn't be left on their own and many 9 year olds tht would be perfectly fine.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I can honestly envision some lawsuits if they don't match. I don't know who would win, but they cost money to defend, which in turn raises prices for everyone.
Disney would win, it would be a frivolous suit.

Disney can set ticket prices where ever they like, they could even charge more for a child's ticket than an adult ticket if they wish.

Or, they could simply charge the same for all tickets without regard to age. That is exactly what they've done with annual passes.

Ticket pricing has nothing to do with at what age a minor can enter the park unaccompanied.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post

Disney would win, it would be a frivolous suit.

Disney can set ticket prices where ever they like, they could even charge more for a child's ticket than an adult ticket if they wish.

Or, they could simply charge the same for all tickets without regard to age. That is exactly what they've done with annual passes.

Ticket pricing has nothing to do with at what age a minor can enter the park unaccompanied.
I don't think it would be (see my perfectly legitimate examples of problems that could happen) and as I said, even if they win, they cost a lot to defend.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I don't think it would be (see my perfectly legitimate examples of problems that could happen) and as I said, even if they win, they cost a lot to defend.
The loser could be ordered to pay the legal fees for the winner, costing Disney nothing.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post

The loser could be ordered to pay the legal fees for the winner, costing Disney nothing.
That rarely happens in the U.S., unless the courts consider it completely frivolous and in this situation I could see legitimate legal arguments being made, making it not frivolous, but still might not hold up.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
tubtruck
Tubtastic

Quote:
I personally think that the policy should be based on the age that adult tickets are required. Bottom line is if someone has to pay the adult price, they should be treated as an adult.

So I see two viable options, lower the minimum age to match the current ticket policy or raise the child ticket age limit to 13 and under.

I can also see some issues, say that a 13 year old is at Disneyland with Mom and Dad. Mom decides to go DCA and Dad stays at DL. Now Dad has to leave to go to work, so the kid wants to join Mom, does that mean that Mom must now leave the park to come get the 13 year old, who is perfectly capable of switching parks?

Or what if this same group needs a locker and all of the lockers inside the parks are full (happens a lot during the summer). Now, lets say Mom and Dad have mobility issues or get hurt and are in first aid, but the kid needs to get something out of the locker. What happens in cases like this?

I can see this causing a lot more problems than just these. Additionally, I know many 14 year olds that shouldn't be left on their own and many 9 year olds tht would be perfectly fine.
Sounds like a great idea, so long as they change all the E ticket rides from a height restriction to an age restriction of over 14 years old

tubtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am 100% in agreement with this. If 11-13 cannot be allowed in as adults, then they shouldn't be charged like adults. Bring back the Junior ticket. Any behavioral/safety issues out there are not addressed by a policy that simply requires an adult to enter the gate (who then could leave and never return). The only thing this policy can realistically accomplish is padding revenues by making it twice as expensive for someone that age to enter the park.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
cleverclovers
Mouseketeer

I think it's a great idea to make the parent accompany the under 14 crowd into Disney! What happens if a child is injured at Disney and the parent is not at the park (work, shopping, etc)? Who is liable? What if the parent claims that they did not give the child permission to go to the park? What if the child needs to be removed from that park and the parent is nowhere to be found? Better for Disney to err on the side of caution.

As for asking the child's age, I always make my nieces get a state ID before flying. What's wrong with them carrying their ID in the park? ID in case of emergency. ID if they have to cash traveler's checks. You never know what can happen.
cleverclovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Require the parent buy the ticket and declare the age. If something happens to the child and there is no parent then that should relieve Disney of responsibility.

Let's start cranking in more parental responsibility.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Tekneek
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
Require the parent buy the ticket and declare the age. If something happens to the child and there is no parent then that should relieve Disney of responsibility.

Let's start cranking in more parental responsibility.
There is already a waiver of general liability attached to the use of the ticket. Only through negligence by Disney as a company do they become liable, and that would have to be proven in court. That would still be true regardless of the age of the ticket user and whether or not anyone of the required age entered the park with them.

All this policy does is require an adult enter the park with them. It doesn't require them to stay.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I am 100% in agreement with this. If 11-13 cannot be allowed in as adults, then they shouldn't be charged like adults. Bring back the Junior ticket. Any behavioral/safety issues out there are not addressed by a policy that simply requires an adult to enter the gate (who then could leave and never return). The only thing this policy can realistically accomplish is padding revenues by making it twice as expensive for someone that age to enter the park.
It is not an "adult" ticket. It is a "guest ages 10+" ticket. It is based on the average age at which most people reach all ride height requirements, thus giving them full access to all rides within the parks. The "adult" reference is for the dining plan, which again is the average age that most children stop eating kid's meals.

There is no need to create a ticket for juniors. Last year we aged up our daughter so she could have mor options on the dining plan. It costs a whopping $19.17 between her guest 3-9 ticket and her guest 10+ ticket for a 9 day hopper. The current tickets are fine, IMHO. The only thing a 10-13 year old can't do is enter the park alone, but once they are in, they have full access to everything. Creating a ticket for the very few kids this new rule could affect is a bit over the top.

Personally, I think 7 is way too young to be riding alone. With ride break downs and evacuations, a 7 year old could be afraid or not understand instructions well, but since it is Disney's rule, there is nothing any of us can do to change it. You either accept their rules or you spend your money elsewhere.

Last edited by smitch425; 03-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Would it make people happier if Disney didn't call it adult admission? The admission price is XXX. We are pleased to offer a discount to guests age 3-9.

Full price is charged to guests able to enjoy most attractions. Nothing to do with the age you're an adult or allowed to enter the park without a parent.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Would it make people happier if Disney didn't call it adult admission?
It isn't an "adult" ticket. See my post above.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: