Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
Oath
Pusher Love Girl

Rejected Cast Member (racism)

Hello everyone. I'm Cassie.

I always wanted to work at Disney (Land/World).

So like many of you I applied to college program and I haven't been accepted my three times of trying to get in.

My mother suggested that I just apply to the regular park since I live in Buena Park which isn't that far from Disneyland.

I did. Long story short, I was scheduled for an interview to be a retail sales clerk.

When I showed up to the casting building, there were about five other people there. I was the only black person. The group was mostly white. There was one Hispanic girl but she could pass as white.

When it was my turn to speak with a recruiter (This ugly ***** named Veronica)

, I thought it went well. I answered all the questions accurately and with a smile. Very perky and cheerful. She then told me to wait outside. She then called me back into her office and said she was going to hire me as a Retail Sales Clerk. She showed me a paper of job duties (which I wasn't allowed to keep) and then said she would call me the next day as she had a big list of people to consider.

Everyone else in my group was hired on the spot. They were told to sit at the opposite end of the casting building. I was told to go home.

She called me earlier today and told me that I wasn't hired because "I didn't smile enough." Which isn't true. I was very bubbly throughout the interview.

That is so ********. I don't know about Disneyworld, but Disneyland is so racist. I hardly ever see any black people working there period.

So mad. Just wanted to vent.

I have to wait 6 months if I want to be a cast member.

I'm thinking about filing some sort of legal dispute. I just need proof and I will get it.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
surferdude
Mouseketeer

nm

Last edited by surferdude; 03-17-2013 at 11:54 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

Cassie, please be careful what you post, especially with your picture attached Companies do look at internet posts and consider those things in a hiring process. I wouldn't want to see you lose out of a dream because of past anger. Good luck getting the job you want, and maybe some of those other hires won't work out and they will call you in and discover what a blessing you are to the company!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

You're the person who was not hired and closest to the situation. I've read and re-read your post and I can't see any racism in there at all. Perhaps you were bubbly, but not as much as the other candidates. And even you admit that there was a hispanic person being interviewed and they were hired on the spot. So where's the racism?

Typically people don't get hired because they're not as good as the other candidates. And with the attitude you've displayed in your post it looks like the hiring manager made the correct call.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
tiggerfied
#1 Disney Mom!

I haven't been to Disneyland lately so I can't speak to their hiring practices, however, daughter is a cast member at Disneyworld, and I would estimate that maybe 25% of the cast members are African American (I guess it's possible that some of that 25% are Latinos, but if you count Latinos and African Americans, I would estimate that they comprise at least 30 to 40% of the workforce at Disneyworld). In other words, judging by that factor alone, you shouldn't have a problem being treated equally at WDW. (which is not to say that you were at Disneyland.) Good luck and don't give up!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
AliSW
\

Disney is probably one of the most diverse places to work there is hah. When I did my CP I remember one time in the break room with a bunch of people and I was the only white person (and I only realized it because they were talking about something haha).
Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
jordanri
i am disgruntled in every childhood photo from disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oath View Post

So like many of you I applied to college program and I haven't been accepted my three times of trying to get in.

My mother suggested that I just apply to the regular park since I live in Buena Park which isn't that far from Disneyland.

I did. Long story short, I was scheduled for an interview to be a retail sales clerk.

When I showed up to the casting building, there were about five other people there. I was the only black person. The group was mostly white. There was one Hispanic girl but she could pass as white.

, I thought it went well. I answered all the questions accurately and with a smile. Very perky and cheerful. She then told me to wait outside. She then called me back into her office and said she was going to hire me as a Retail Sales Clerk. She showed me a paper of job duties (which I wasn't allowed to keep) and then said she would call me the next day as she had a big list of people to consider.

Everyone else in my group was hired on the spot. They were told to sit at the opposite end of the casting building. I was told to go home.

She called me earlier today and told me that I wasn't hired because "I didn't smile enough." Which isn't true. I was very bubbly throughout the interview.

That is so ********. I don't know about Disneyworld, but Disneyland is so racist. I hardly ever see any black people working there period.

I'm thinking about filing some sort of legal dispute. I just need proof and I will get it.
i wouldn't waste time with a legal dispute as disney not hiring you had nothing to do with your race. however disney does in fact look at these forums and you're hurting your chances by insulting cast members and playing the blame game. take from it, and maybe next time smile more when not speaking and be exactly what they're looking for if you apply again in six months

2012 Disney College Program Children's Activities Hostess • 2012 Disney's Contemporary Resort & Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2012 Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort • 2012 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2011 Disney College Program Attractions Hostess • 2011 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2008 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2004 Off-Site Band Trip • 2001 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1999 Disney's Port Orleans Resort • 1997 Disney's Dixie Landings Resort • 1995 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1994 Disney's Port Orleans Resort
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
leeg229
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oath View Post

I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but perhaps instead of blaming someone else for you not getting the job you could ask yourself how to better improve yourself to excel in the interview. Maybe the other interviewers had better resumes or better answers to the interview questions. Whatever the reason you were not selected, filing suit against Disney would be a monumental waste of time and money on your part. Disney has a long history of diversity and no judge would allow an Equal employment case without evidence.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

Do you know what specifically all the other people there were applying for? They might not have been applying for retail positions, and their positions could have been ones that were open to hire on the spot. And despite how you feel you came across, you may not have come across in the way you believe you did. Our own perception of ourselves isn't usually as accurate as we'd like it to be. Even if you feel you were smiling enough, perhaps the smile was coming across as fake or a sarcastic smile. I also can't believe that a recruiter told you that you weren't smiling enough and that's why you weren't hired, I would call recruiting and file a complaint about that response. That's ridiculous to be told that, joking or not.

While I'm not going to say that each individual recruiter for Disney doesn't have their own prejudice, the company as a whole hires a great deal of African-American employees at both DL & WDW. We just went to DL 2 weeks ago and met a large number of African-American CMs. I understand that you are angry now and you are very entitled to your anger at not getting a position that you want so badly. But based on the story you provided, I feel that your not being hired has less to do with your race and more to do with the position you applied for having more applicants than number of positions available. You might have been a good fit for the job, but other applicants could have been better.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
dairylives
Mouseketeer

You may have had a bad interview. Sometimes ( many many times) most people who give bad interviews don't even realize that they are doing poorly. Honestly,sometimes what you may thing is "good", is simply not what the interviewer is looking for. I've conducted many interviews, and I've seen plenty of people like you: coming in with an inflated ego, unwilling to interview on anyone's terms but theirs, and predisposed to blaming others for their mistakes. They are often blind to silly mistakes and poor word choice. They NEVER get hired. Honestly, to me the " you didn't smile enough" sounds like a nice way of letting you down after a poor interview(keep in mind, they don't need to, and often don't, explain to you why you didn't get the job). It just sounds like they were trying to be nice. Unfortunately, it appears that you were ungrateful for that as well.

Sorry you didn't get hired, but to accuse others of racism is a very serious accusation . Your post here pretty much outlines why you didn't get the job. Its not because of your skin color.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oath

You go, girl. Get that proof. That'll show that ugly *** Veronica.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
dairylives
Mouseketeer

I think some of you people are giving this girl far too much benefit of the doubt. we seem to be forgetting that in her original post, shes calling people "ugly *****" and throwing around accusations of racism like its no big deal.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
jordanri
i am disgruntled in every childhood photo from disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
I think some of you people are giving this girl far too much benefit of the doubt. we seem to be forgetting that in her original post, shes calling people "ugly *****" and throwing around accusations of racism like its no big deal.
me thinks someone didn't like what they heard anyway as they never came back

2012 Disney College Program Children's Activities Hostess • 2012 Disney's Contemporary Resort & Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2012 Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort • 2012 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2011 Disney College Program Attractions Hostess • 2011 Disney's Pop Century Resort • 2008 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 2004 Off-Site Band Trip • 2001 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1999 Disney's Port Orleans Resort • 1997 Disney's Dixie Landings Resort • 1995 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort • 1994 Disney's Port Orleans Resort
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
disneylove69
DIS Veteran

Working in the retail industry we offer jobs pending background checks. State law is very picky. Something could have come up or like others said, attitidue probably got in the way. I would definately get your picture off as someone else said employers check the internet for postings and if you are threatening potential lawsuit they are not going to take a chance with you since you might accuse them of something. l would try Knotts if you want to work in the industry.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
You go, girl. Get that proof. That'll show that ugly *** Veronica.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: