Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
pocomom
Brr.....

What do you spend for Valentine's Day ?

Interesting discussion with friend today, got me wondering what do you spend for Valentines? When kids were in school they would do little treats for friends, and a small gift for teacher such as homemade treat, mug with hot cocoa, plant we planted in a handpainted pot, maybe $5 worth. My husband buys each of the kids a little chocolate, maybe $5 and he and I exchange candy, maybe I might get flowers. This year we decided to exchange no more than $20 dates along the lines of dvd and popping corn, groupon to restaurant, etc. I'm actually making him some massage oil among other things, since we don't want the candy in the house.
My friend is getting her husband a $500 watch. He buys her equally expensive jewelry. I have no desire to make V-day a stressful, expensive holiday for us, but was just wondering if this was the trend?
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
Interesting discussion with friend today, got me wondering what do you spend for Valentines? When kids were in school they would do little treats for friends, and a small gift for teacher such as homemade treat, mug with hot cocoa, plant we planted in a handpainted pot, maybe $5 worth. My husband buys each of the kids a little chocolate, maybe $5 and he and I exchange candy, maybe I might get flowers. This year we decided to exchange no more than $20 dates along the lines of dvd and popping corn, groupon to restaurant, etc. I'm actually making him some massage oil among other things, since we don't want the candy in the house.
My friend is getting her husband a $500 watch. He buys her equally expensive jewelry. I have no desire to make V-day a stressful, expensive holiday for us, but was just wondering if this was the trend?
For as long as I remember people have been known to give expensive jewelry or other gifts to their SO on Valentine's Day.
I don't spend a lot on V-Day gifts, maybe $50 on dh and under $20 on each of the kids.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

We aren't big on Valentines Day here. I spent about $20 on a bunch of candy for DH and both kids. Dh took me out to dinner last night (going on Valentines Day is too crazy and extra expensive), but we do that about once a week anyway. So our budget, about $20.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

It's not a big-budget holiday for us eother. Just mushy cards, or maybe a small, sentimental gift.

Look for the good in people. Make rainbows. Play the glad game.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

we go pretty low-key for v day- trying to avoid candy because both of us plan to be in "swimsuit" shape for upcoming May Disney trip, so maybe a card- my wife specifically told me not to waste money on flowers (but I frequently get them for her "just because" when not V day). and we are a family that gives lots of gifts, just not on this day.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

My kids are older so they don't have any in school activities. I bought them each a costume for their Duffy bear, a movie size box of candy and a book. DH and I don't usually do anything - we are spending 3 nights at AKL in August and that will be in lieu of any holiday/birthday gifts this year.

Oct 2013 The Fort***Aug 2013 POP/POR***Dec 2012 ASMo ***Aug 2012 ASMo/POR *** 2011 The Fort ***2010 Wilderness Lodge***2009 & 2007 The Fort ***2006- POFQ***1993- Poly Honeymoon
DH/myself the twins: DS14DD14
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

We've never been big Valentine's Day people. We give our girls a bit of candy and a small gift, around $10 each. We always do belgium waffles with fresh strawberries for dinner. Very simple here.
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
For as long as I remember people have been known to give expensive jewelry or other gifts to their SO on Valentine's Day.
I don't spend a lot on V-Day gifts, maybe $50 on dh and under $20 on each of the kids.
I know I have ocassionally recv'd jewelry or something, but in general we make it cheap and easy- My friend said the expensive gifts are the norm now in her circle of friends (different city), and she felt like it was a status thing for her dh... we have similar annual incomes and similar spending habits otherwise.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

I bought my 2 year old a Mylar balloon

I got my husbands copy of sky fall 007 movie

All in $22
akcire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
BelleMaria
Earning My Ears

The longer my DH and I have been together the less extravagant the gifts have gotten. Not because we don't care about each other, but we realize the day is really not that important and we have so many birthdays and holidays around this time of year. I did however get him a nice card ( Mickey of course haha) and we will make sushi for dinner and watch wall e and a horror movie.... I know we are weirdos. I also bought him some candy and he payed a graphic artist to paint me as a disney princes bahaha it was only 5.00 I'm curious to see how it looks.
BelleMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Misti315
Mouseketeer

I bought each kid a Disney shirt and a Reese's candy and my hubby a card and candy. We just splurged on ourselves last month so decided that would be our gifts. Plus we are going out for dinner on.Friday.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
mcuoghi
Mouseketeer

It's steak and lobster at home for us. We don't really celebrate. It was never important to us. The only reason we do special dinner is because the steak and lobster are on sale this week lol. I did buy each of our kids a small chocolate for the big day though.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

Dh and I will exchange cards. I held over two movies and a few small toys.... Transformers and cars... From Christmas when I realized I had gone overboard on the gifts. The boys' teachers will get a gift card to a local ice cream store and a bouquet of flowers.
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
#1hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I am 27 and have been with my boyfriend for 10 years! We normally don't do anything besides dinner. Is that bad??? Two years ago I bought him a big present and he bought me one but we don't do anything anymore besides maye a card. We live together so we feel bad spending money for this silly holiday.

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

Year to year it changes for DH and i . Some years extravagant , this year we will not be doing much , but nice dinner for us and some chocolates. DS10 will get a card and $ tree balloons and a bag of MnMs. DH and I bought a large piece of art work a few weeks ago and have a Disney trip coming up in April, we agreed that is our Valentines lol. He will get me flowers though, he always does not matter what . Our local grocery is family owned and has a lovely floral department.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: