Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 151

Bed bugs at Bonnet Creek :(

Ok, I have thought about this for several days...whether or not to post anything at all, but I decided that I need to tell my story in hopes that it won't happen to anyone else...

I, like many, adore Bonnet Creek. We stayed there this past May and returned again for out trip in January. Both times we had the EPCOT view and it was beautiful. Sadly, this trip started out a lot rougher than the last. We arrived at BC at 12pm on Friday, and they checked us into tower 4 by 1:15pm or so, which was sooner than we expected. We had driven through the night from IL, so we hurried to unload. We unloaded everything onto the baggage cart and then got to the room. Upon entering the room, I did my customary bed bug check on the kids' beds (it was a 2BR) and didn't see anything. Then I somehow got distracted...very easy with 4 kids...and realized later on that I had missed checking our bed. We unpacked and quickly laid everyone down for naps...I was laying on top of the bedspread and my husband was on the couch. At 5pm we woke up and showered and hurried off to EPCOT to eat. When we returned home, it was late and we all went to bed. When we got into bed it was dark in the room...for fear of waking up my son in the crib. Woke up the next morning early and started rushing around to get ready. Put my son on the bed to put on his clothes and a bug crawled out from under where I had set him. I immediately freaked and said to my husband...is that a bed bug? We pulled back the covers and they were EVERYWHERE. Big ones, little ones...it was like nothing I ever would have expected. Even worse, there were both old (dried) and new blood spots on the sheets...that is pretty scary to both of us because we wonder whose blood that is???? There was also bug feces all over the bed skirt and mattress. Had we checked, we wouldn't have missed it. Housekeeping SHOULD have caught it too (which leads me to believe they never did change the sheets in that bed from the last guest). The infestation of that bed was so bad that the bugs didn't even bother hiding because there really wasn't any place!!!

Anyway, we called the front desk and they told us just to throw our clothes in the dryer and someone would be up at some point. We waited for 30 minutes or so (trying to quarantine everyone), and then my husband called and asked for a manager ASAP. He arrived after 1 hour from the original call. He told us that we shouldn't be concerned because it was only in that one bedroom since we didn't see any anywhere else. And I mentioned to him that we had found dead ones on the kitchen floor while we were waiting and that my kids had carried blankets and other stuff between the two rooms. He claimed that wouldn't be a problem and that we could take anything that wasn't a food source for them like our electronics and that they'd take all of our clothes and wash/dry them for us. He said that everything else needed to stay in the room to be treated. They did give us some replacement diapers/wipes, some food credits for the restaurant, and a rental stroller because we couldn't take any of it. They said they'd get us a new room and we'd have our clothes once we returned, which they did. Then they told us that the place would be heat treated the next day so we'd have to wait on everything else. Well they did heat treat, but only the one bedroom...not the kitchen and not the living area. Further more, they never moved our belongings into the bedroom where they treated stuff so some stuff never got treated and sat there for 24 hours in an infested room. Upon talking to a person who has experience treating bed bugs when I arrived home, I found out that they gave us serious misinformation and did not treat the room as they should have. Given what we told them...the WHOLE condo should have been treated. Aside from our luggage, they left everything out in the main room and never treated it. So, we traveled home with belongings that were never treated...because they said since they weren't by food sources we shouldn't worry. Wrong...too bad I didn't know all this then. I've tried quarantining stuff in our garage, but now I freaked that we'll have them in our home. I did find eggs on the outside of my purse, which never came in the house, but it rode in the van all the way home. So every morning and evening we check out beds and I even wake up in the middle of the night to check my bed. It really is mentally damaging when something like this happens to you.

Oh and the manager told us we would see bites in about 2 days...we didn't see any bites and we were hopeful that we didn't have many or didn't react. Wrong again...on the way home (9 days later) we developed large welts all over. My husband's were mostly on his back and stomach. Mine were on my stomach, back, face, neck, hands and legs. They are so itchy it is unbearable. The welts turned into a bunch of tiny bites in clusters. I stopped counting at 100...and that's just on me. It has now been two weeks and I'm still itching and I have scabs everywhere. I will only wear long sleeves out, and for the 1st week I rarely went out because my face looked like I had pox. I cried yesterday because the stress of continually checking and hoping you didn't bring them home is terrible.

Anyway, I KNOW this can happen anywhere, and I still think BC is a nice place to stay. However, it is unforgiveable that we slept in a dirty bed that obviously had never had the sheets changed. Furthermore, the misinformation that they gave us isn't right either. They've dealt with this many times, I'm sure, and they should give the right information.

Learn from my mistake...check and double check everything. You CAN see bed bugs...even the little ones. Don't take anything in the room until you do. If you have to do something to remind yourself...make a check-list...which we should have since we so easily get distracted with the kids. Lastly, no need to worry about it and let it ruin your trip, but know your information about these bugs before you ever leave. Had I done a simple check, I would have saved myself a whole lot of stress and trouble.

I post this here because if you stay and BC and encounter this issue, please make sure they treat EVERYTHING so that you don't take it home. Because of this...I'm not sure we'll be taking any vacations for a LONG while...I'm way too paranoid.
__________________
Me DH DD- 9 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 3
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
lilasmom
DIS Veteran
 
lilasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 532

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. How do you check for them? I will definitely be checking from here on out.

I hope you find peace soon, good luck.
lilasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Momma2PrinceNPrinces
DIS Veteran
 
Momma2PrinceNPrinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 593

Omg ewwww! I would be exactly the same as you! Who did you book the resort through? Any chance they can help be your advocate to get something for your troubles?? Man I am so sorry you had to deal with this
__________________
DD(7) DS(4)

WDW '81, '90, '98,'02, '06 (US day trip after Carnival Cruise),'11 ,'13, '14

Momma2PrinceNPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2PrinceNPrinces View Post
Omg ewwww! I would be exactly the same as you! Who did you book the resort through? Any chance they can help be your advocate to get something for your troubles?? Man I am so sorry you had to deal with this
We booked it through a timeshare owner on ebay. It isn't his fault, so I wasn't sure that I wanted to trouble him with what happened.
__________________
Me DH DD- 9 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 3
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilasmom View Post
I'm so sorry that this has happened to you. How do you check for them? I will definitely be checking from here on out.

I hope you find peace soon, good luck.
Thank you. I know that there are some good sites for finding checklist for bed bug inspections. For us, we pull off all the sheets and check those and then we check all the corners/tufts of the mattress to see signs of blood, feces or the actual bugs. Then we lift up the mattress and do the same for the boxspring. We also normally do a good check around the headboard and open up any drawers nearby. I know there are WAY more things you can do, but this is what we do on our initial inspection. It helps to have a flashlight for the dark areas, but trust me in most cases you can see the bugs if they're there. Especially if they've had a meal recently...gross but true.
__________________
Me DH DD- 9 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 3
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
BelleMaria
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nor.Cal
Posts: 48

Ok when you say bonnet creek do you mean Wyndham bonnet creek? The regular hotel or the timeshare? I only ask because that's where we stay ( hotel) and I would NEVER stay there again if this was true because I am deathly afraid of bugs. Especially biting ones... Ugh. Sorry this happened to you, if it was me I would have lost it.
BelleMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
1mama2three
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleMaria View Post
Ok when you say bonnet creek do you mean Wyndham bonnet creek? The regular hotel or the timeshare? I only ask because that's where we stay ( hotel) and I would NEVER stay there again if this was true because I am deathly afraid of bugs. Especially biting ones... Ugh. Sorry this happened to you, if it was me I would have lost it.
Sorry about that. It was Wyndham Bonnet Creek the Timeshare. Tower 4 to be exact. I don't think we'll be back ever. I realize it can happen anywhere, but I get a sick feeling thinking about going back. The idea of the bed bugs being on me really makes me nauseous. Ugh...I hope someday I go back to sleeping normally, but right now that isn't in the cards. My brain just doesn't want to accept it.
__________________
Me DH DD- 9 DD- 7 DD- 4 DS- 3
Sept/Oct 2004...our honeymoon @ POP!, Disneyland off-site: July 2005, POP: Jan/Feb 2010, POP: Jan/Feb 2011, WBC/POP: May/June 2012WBC/CR GW: Jan. 2013, AKV/BLT: Jan. 2014, POR: July 2014, VGF/Old Key West: Nov/Dec 2014
1mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
BelleMaria
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nor.Cal
Posts: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mama2three

Sorry about that. It was Wyndham Bonnet Creek the Timeshare. Tower 4 to be exact. I don't think we'll be back ever. I realize it can happen anywhere, but I get a sick feeling thinking about going back. The idea of the bed bugs being on me really makes me nauseous. Ugh...I hope someday I go back to sleeping normally, but right now that isn't in the cards. My brain just doesn't want to accept it.
Yah we normally stay at the hotel but that totally skeeved me out. I just texted my husband and his response was " ***....noooo... Gross.... I'm never not checking beds again first." To be honest I'm not totally surprised it was the timeshare we always noticed it looked dirty compared to the hotel as far as housekeeping and towels and such. But I can say at least now you will be hyper-vigilant when it comes to this. If I were you I would raise a stink with the timeshare. Maybe even start emailing/ calling people higher up in the chain, that's what my husband does when lower level people don't listen. Because they would usually rather refund you money then have you letting people know they have bedbugs.
BelleMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
smj2610
Ready for my theme park fix
 
smj2610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: indiana
Posts: 160

I would still notify the owner they need to be aware of this and the lack of care that is being taken of their unit by the staff
smj2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,350

Check the bedbug registry before you book.

But if you do check, where will you stay? Nearly every hotel and resort near Disney is listed.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
BonnieA
I don't need no stinkin tag
 
BonnieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Living in the Sweet Virginia Breeze
Posts: 2,093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Hill View Post
Check the bedbug registry before you book.

But if you do check, where will you stay? Nearly every hotel and resort near Disney is listed.
Where I stay, wyndham cypress palms is not listed. Yay
__________________
It's only funny until someone gets hurt... then it's hilarious.
BonnieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
tstidm1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 622

I didn't even realize I had Bed Bugs at a place (Clarion LBV) until after I got home. It cost me several hundred dollars to treat this issue. I always look in the room before I put my luggage in the room at any hotel (even Disney World). Stand up for yourself and let the owner know of the Timeshare, so he can also take action.
__________________
Four trips when I was a kid.
Christmas 1987,91 and 93 Off Site in Kissimmee and on I-Drive
Christmas 1989 CBR
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
wdwgirl100
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 118

Is it possible to have only 3 or 4 bites? We just got home from WBC yesterday and were in tower 4. I have a 4 little red "bites" on one leg, it never occured it might be bed bug bites. Now I am really worried about our luggage and clothes etc. which we have already put away!
wdwgirl100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
PGHDisneyfan
Im a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk
 
PGHDisneyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 218

I travel about 100 days a year for work and only found them once. This is absolutely unforgivable! You were way nicer than I would have been. That being said it is Florida and Orlando at that but beg bugs should be part of the weekly bug control spraying. So sorry you had to go through this. I would call my credit card co and refuse to pay Bonnet Creek
__________________
HAKUNA MATATA!!

(me) (DW) (DS)(DS) (oscar)
PGHDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side
 
BadgerGirl84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,976

UGH--I am so sorry this happened to you.
__________________
Me: (29) DH: (31) DD born July 2013 Minnie and Eve the Frenchtons: (2)

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.