Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
LisaTN
DIS Veteran

What MK rides / character ques close during thunder storms?

Right now accuweather is showing thunderstorms the Thursday of our trip (Feb 7th)

We had planned a full day at MK that day. I'd love to know what rides/charcter ques close during thunderstorms so that we can plan do to those things on Monday. We plan on being in MK Monday from RD until about 3pm, but might make it a full day and skip DHS if we have to. (DD4 is much more into MK than DHS).

Its still 2 weeks away, so I'm hoping the forecast changes for the better!!

THANKS!!!
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I don't have an answer to your question, but as a local, I just wanted to say that I pretty much don't put any faith in the forecast beyond 1 or 2 days out. Florida weather can be very fickle this time of year. When packing, be prepared for anything, and certainly gather this kind of information just in case...but don't get too concerned at this point.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
jvptravels
Mouseketeer

I don't know the exact answer. But it seems that whenever it rains at WDW, they close rides down temporarily. Certainly all outdoor rides and shows are affected. But I also noticed Peter Pan's Flight was closed during a storm last summer. Not sure why.
jvptravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Most of the MK characters are in indoor venues: Town Square Theater for Mickey and the Circus in Fantasyland for Minnie. If you happen to see characters outside, stand in line to see them as they are the ones who are ushered inside very quickly when the weather turns bad. Stitch is at Dance Party so go see him when the weather is good.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
LisaTN
DIS Veteran

I'm fairly certain I read that BTMRR closes in the rain... I'm guessing maybe barnstormer, dumbo, aladdin and jungle cruise? But those are just guesses... I'm going to try and find where I read about BTMRR and see if there are any more.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Stinky_Pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTN View Post
I'm fairly certain I read that BTMRR closes in the rain... I'm guessing maybe barnstormer, dumbo, aladdin and jungle cruise? But those are just guesses... I'm going to try and find where I read about BTMRR and see if there are any more.
If it's just rain, I don't think Dumbo closes. The only time I rode it was at Mickey's Very Soggy Christmas Party. You haven't experienced Dumbo until you've ridden it at 2 a.m. with rain pelting you in your face so hard you can't even keep your eyes open LOL.

Now, a thunderstorm I think would be different.
Stinky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
sammons70
Mouseketeer

On our first visit to MK, we arrive about 2pm. It had started to rain. The park cleared out. We had our ponchos, so we kept going. It was EMH, so from 2pm-2am, we conquered the entire park. No lines, and nothing was closed. We did many outdoor rides as well including splash MTN, teacups and Dumbo. This was back in 2006.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
LisaTN
DIS Veteran

Great! Thanks for all the info. A little rain doesn't scare me... As long as the rides stay open. If it just said rain it would be no big deal... But with thunderstorms I'm pretty sure they close some things of there's lightening.

I'm pretty sure merida's meet and greet closes as well... So I may just plan those things for our first day at MK . Thanks!!!
2005 - Coronado Springs (couples trip with my then fiance, now DH)
Nov 2011 - POR, DDs first trip
Feb 2012 - POR
Feb 2013 - POR
July 29-August 3, 2013 - Bonnet Creek
August 3 - August 6th, 2013 - Pop Century
Oct 6-11, 2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
February 2-7, AoA, Cars Suite
May 23-25 - Sarratoga Springs, Treehouses
June 6-12 Art of Animation, Little Mermaid Room
*** September 21-28th, POR
*** June 1-5 Disney Dream Cruise, First Cruise!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
KMarston
Mouseketeer

Definitely find a spot and stick it out. We had the place all to ourselves about 4 years ago Easter week after it hailed. We ducked into IASW and bummed around fantasy world for a while before the weather improved somewhat. We stayed til after midnight and rode rides over and over without even getting off. My son and I had the best time I've ever had at MK and almost forgot we were walking around in soaked shoes looking like drowned rats!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: