Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
leftaslide
NW GA. DDC #751

Kids + Expedition Everest??

My daughters, ages 6 and 4, want to ride this ride. I've shown them the videos on youtube, and tried to explain that it goes a bit fast and could be a little scary. They really want to ride this ride when we go at the end of Feb. Thoughts? They both meet height requirements, I just don't want to be "that dad" who took his kids on a ride like that, only to end up having them crying and screaming. I've never ridden it. Is it bad? Looks pretty tame for a coaster.

Dragging the Kids Back to WDW, a Sept. 2014 PTR!
leftaslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

I say let them go. They can always chicken out at the last minute. If they don't like it, its only for a few seconds. My son did it (he was 5 and a bit of a weenie). He didn't like it, but didn't scream and cry. When we got off he said "i am NOT doing that again!" haha, but he was super proud that he did it once. He made sure to take a picture of the mountain so he would remember that he did it!

JavArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

I would take them. They may never ride again after they get off or they may love it. Either way it is over before you know it. Hopefully they will love it and you will have them on other thrill rides before you know it. Also I think the only way you could be "That Dad" is if you forced them to go on which you are not doing.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Let them do it. It's a big coaster by Disney standards, but not compared to other parks.
My DD was afraid of yeti for a long time, but now that she's gotten over that she loves EE.
And you won't be "that Dad" because you're not pushing them to do it, you're just letting them.

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

I would let them go. It really isn't that bad of a coaster compared to other theme parks, but is one of Disney's biggest thrill rides. It doesn't last long, and who knows they may like it.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
PAGAS
Mouseketeer

I compare it to BTMRR. If they like that, I would take them.
Disneyland March 2014 * Coronado Springs May 2014 * Port Orleans August 2014 * Disneyland October 2014
PAGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

If you kids want to ride it I say go for it. I have a 9 year old DD that is still a chicken and will not do any of the coasters. I also have an 8 year old DD that has been a thrill seeker since our first trip when she was 5. I also have a 5 year old that although he was tall enough at 3/4 years old he does not like even the simple rides like Dumbo... So it really depends on your kids.

FW March 2010 ~ ASMu May 2011 ~ BWI Deluxe CL May 2013 ~ ASMu March 2014 ~ AKL Villas October 2014
Jasperann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue

If they want to, I would let them try it. My 6 year old was determined to go on Space Mt., but we weren't sure because of the speed, it's so dark, etc. I showed him YouTube videos (as best as I could since it was all dark), we told him several times it's fast and dark and took him on the People Mover so he could get an idea. He still insisted on it, so we took him on it and he loved it. Loved it so much he went on it 6 times!

Same DS rode EE for the first time this past December and he didn't like it. He had already ridden Space Mt., BTMRR, Splash Mt, so we thought EE would be no problem. He didn't mind the speed, but going backwards and seeing the Yeti really freaked him out. Of course, he is also the kid who is afraid of puppet faces and doll faces.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGAS View Post
I agree. It's a similar train-themed coaster. Everest is more intense because it goes backwards and has one big (not huge) drop.

I would definitely let them try it if they want.

When my DS was 4 I was expecting that he couldn't ride. (We had measured at home and he as almost 2" too short.) When I asked the CM for a rider switch pass he said that DS was tall enough if he wanted to try it. He rode about 10 times that trip.

My DD (6 at the time) did not enjoy it because she said it made her a little sick, so she sat out. She did try it again once more on our last day at AK and has done it several times since that trip, so it certainly didn't traumatize her too much.

That said, I have seen older elem/young teen age children crying and screaming in fear after riding the Haunted Mansion. I certainly didn't think their parents were horrible for allowing them to ride and I'm sure no one will judge you if your kids are scared after Everest.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I'd let them try any rides they feel up for, as long as they are tall enough!

I don't like the big drop on that ride, but I'm kind of a ride weenie. I'm sure there are tons of 6 year olds who are more adventurous than me.

Also, if it were me, I'd sit mom with one kid and dad with the other. That way, if they do get scared, they'd have the reassurance of a parent sitting next to them.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
OhioDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

I too showed my kids the YouTube videos of EE and they wanted to ride it. Once they rode it (of their own free will mind you) I somehow became THAT DAD because they hated it and blamed me! Just make sure your kids know that there is part of the ride where it goes backwards and in the dark. That's the part my kids REALLY didn't like (and neither did my wife for that matter). Your mileage may vary.
OhioDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGAS View Post
Yep, I pretty much agree. IMO, it's actually a bit faster and more exciting then BTMRR. (You'll notice that BTMRR has just a lap bar, and EE has full-on shoulder restraints, so it's definitely a little faster!)

Test them out on Thunder Mountain first, to see how they do, then let them watch EE from the ground. If they want to try it, go for it!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

I would let them go.

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
jahber
DIS Veteran

I agree. Let them try it!

My DD was 7 when she went for the first time (last year). She's tall but so so skinny and fragile-looking. When we got to the top of the backward hill, I felt like the worst mom in the world. It was scarier than I remembered! (Bearing in mind that it was my first time on the ride in years and when I rode it before I wasn't thinking about my precious little girl being afraid ). Well. I was holding her hand and asking her if she was ok and telling her it was almost over. It's so dark and loud I had no idea if she was sobbing or paralyzed by fright.

At the end, she's smiling the biggest smile and asking to go again. In the photo I look like I'm dying and she's laughing!!!! Now she makes a point of yawning or pretending to sleep on all thrill ride pictures (she's learned where the cameras are because she LOVES roller coasters!). It's pretty hilarious to see me and my sister looking afraid for our lives and my tiny daughter yawning. She lives for the day she'll be tall enough to ride the rollercoasters at Sea World. My DS (5), however, cries on Star Tours. I got him to ride Dinosaur once and I WAS "That Mom." Oh well. I know better now. . Live and learn!

ETA: my point was, my DD would have loved EE when she was younger! We just didn't have passes until last year.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
leftaslide
NW GA. DDC #751

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback! I'll let them ride it if they want. Can't wait!

Dragging the Kids Back to WDW, a Sept. 2014 PTR!
leftaslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: