Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West > Southern California
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Zakery
Earning My Ears

Los Angeles at Night

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a silly question as I imagine there is tonnes of stuff to do in LA at night but I would like to see what people have to say still.

I am going to the Adobe Max Conference on May 5th through 8th and I am trying to decide what I will do during the evenings. I will be by myself and I am not a big bar person (I do like pubs with friends). I do love movies and I am thinking about trying to do some movie runs to various movie theaters but I also won't have a car. The conference should be done each evening around 6 so I won't have any afternoon's free. I also do not have any problem with doing things by myself.

I am staying right down by the LA Convention Center.

Oh I am also not a big celebrity watcher. I love movies (I actually run a film festival in my hometown) but the whole gotta see celebrities just holds know interest.

I will also down before the conference and I am hitting Disneyland and Universal Studios prior to the start so I will have my theme park fixes filled and we will also hit one of the outlet malls and I will probably wander up to Chinatown also before.

Any suggestions for things to do is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Are you into sports? The Staples Center is right next to the convention center. The Lakers, Clippers, Sparks, etc. might be playing while you are there. There is the Nokia Theater (check online to see who will be playing there) and the Grammy Museum at L.A. Live which is also close to the convention center. Wolfgang Puck's W24 is at L.A. Live -- great nighttime views of the city. There is a movie theater at L.A. Live, too. Many restaurants run free shuttles to the Music Center nearby. If you like live theater or opera, this is the place. Check the schedules at Centertheatregroup.org (I think) -- the theatres are the Ahmanson and the Mark Taper. L.A. Opera is at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (the 3rd theater in the complex). Disney Hall is across the street from the Music Center. Designed by Frank Gehry -- a fabulous building with great acoustics. Check out the schedule there, too. It's worth it just to walk by to see how beautiful the building is. The Museum of Contemporary Art is close by. Check their evening hours. Also, the DASH shuttles (inexpensive) run regularly downtown. Go to Little Tokyo for great food, the Japanese American museum (again, check for evening hours), live jazz, etc.
Hope this helps! Have a great trip!
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Zakery
Earning My Ears

very cool. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep all this in mind. I'll mostly play it by ear but we'll see as the trip gets closer.

Thanks again
Old 01-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

I forgot to add that the Convention Center/Staples Center/L.A. Live area is on the metro line (www.metro.net -- go to system maps and click on the map of downtown). Even without a car, you can get to Hollywood or other areas by connecting at Union Station (main train station downtown). This opens up your field of options quite a bit. The front desk/concierge at your hotel should be able to help you with this as well.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
mr.bungle
DIS Veteran

Yardhouse in L.A. Live is pretty good.
mr.bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Zakery
Earning My Ears

cool, the YARD House is near the hotel where I am staying. I'll check it out.

I am trying to also decide if it is worth taking the Metro from near downtown out to Hollywood to check out Graumans <sp?> Theater after I'm done at the conference one evening. I'd only have 3 or so hours so it might be too much of a rush to get there and back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: