Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
disney david
DIS Veteran

Family get their car broken into at mk and their gun goes missing

They lost their GPS computer and gun plus the x mas gifts in the theft I still don't understand why they had their grandfather gun but that for ocso to figure out. But they are in their law suit mode because heir claiming a Disney security cm told them they shouldn't have called 911 to report it but to wait for them. That makes no sense since when you call 911 in Disney they let Disney security know along with ocso. It is upset in how they broke into the car and I guess they have been doing this enough to show a pattern. Hope they catch hem so they can retrieve the gun before it winds up in the wrong hands which of course the family is so worried now not when they decide to cross state lines and enter a theme park.

http://m.wesh.com/news/Family-says-c...i/-/index.html

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Very interesting. No cameras? Really?

I guess I am of a suspicious nature. I do not feel my belongings are safer on Disney property. It isn't like there is an invisible barrier that keeps out bad guys. I'm the person that not only hides the Garmin, but also tries to wipe off the circle on the wind shield left by the suction cup bracket. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

Hope they had good insurance.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

If you have a gun, the parking lot of a business geared towards children is not the place to keep it.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiondad View Post
If you have a gun, the parking lot of a business geared towards children is not the place to keep it.
Why would these people even have a loaded gun IN their car with children? Is that even legal?
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
sea nymph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Why would these people even have a loaded gun IN their car with children? Is that even legal?
Why not if it's legal! Law abiding citizens are allow to protect their families and that includes children!
Disney World is not insulated from the wackos of society! It could actually be a draw if they know it's a gun free zone!
sea nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea nymph View Post
Why not if it's legal! Law abiding citizens are allow to protect their families and that includes children!
Disney World is not insulated from the wackos of society! It could actually be a draw if they know it's a gun free zone!
Actually, without getting too political, Florida law prohibits leaving a gun accessible to a minor. I would think that would include being in the same car with one, but maybe not.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
disney david
DIS Veteran

The gun belong to the grandfather not sure if he was with them but if he was not them if not then be bad no legal reason to have the gun.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

It's just careless to leave all that stuff in the car. Why would you be driving around with a gun and a computer and Christmas presents... I don't get it. I also never leave anything valuable or visible in my car. I can't imagine these thieves (if this even happened, which I'm questioning) just randomly picked this car and happened to hit the jackpot -- they had to have seen something inside that made them break in.

Not trying to blame the alleged victims... but jeez, use some common sense!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
It's just careless to leave all that stuff in the car. Why would you be driving around with a gun and a computer and Christmas presents... I don't get it. I also never leave anything valuable or visible in my car. I can't imagine these thieves (if this even happened, which I'm questioning) just randomly picked this car and happened to hit the jackpot -- they had to have seen something inside that made them break in.

Not trying to blame the alleged victims... but jeez, use some common sense!
The article says:

Quote:
Also, according to the Orange County Sheriff Office and Disney security officers who talked with the family, car thieves are cruising the parking lots at local attractions with a handful of keyless entry devices until a car's lights or alarms go off. That allows for an easy in and out for the thieves.
So it looks like they were just unlucky. And foolish.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
SarahC73
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=SA mom;47120493]

I'm the person that not only hides the Garmin, but also tries to wipe off the circle on the wind shield left by the suction cup bracket. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

QUOTE]

I do this too! I don't leave the Garmin in the car, but you don't want people thinking you might!
SarahC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Why did someone call 911?

Was the gun bleeding profusely? Did the gun have a heart attack? Did it collapse? Was the car on fire?

This sounds like a non-event. And whoever called 911 should be forced to write "I will not call 911 unless there is an emergency" one thousand times.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal
Why did someone call 911?

Was the gun bleeding profusely? Did the gun have a heart attack? Did it collapse? Was the car on fire?

This sounds like a non-event. And whoever called 911 should be forced to write "I will not call 911 unless there is an emergency" one thousand times.
The car was broken into they have to report it and get a police report for insurance. Plus they need to get on record they reported the gun just I case they didn't and it got used in a crime and they tracked it back to them.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
The car was broken into they have to report it and get a police report for insurance. Plus they need to get on record they reported the gun just I case they didn't and it got used in a crime and they tracked it back to them.
Exactly and here where I live you are told to call 911 now for everything. Some kids were throwing rocks at cars getting onto the highway one night and our van window was one that they hit. I tried calling the local police number about it and was told to dial 911 instead. Probably has to do with the calls all being recorded there.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1

Exactly and here where I live you are told to call 911 now for everything. Some kids were throwing rocks at cars getting onto the highway one night and our van window was one that they hit. We tried calling the local police number about it and were told to dial 911 about it. Probably has to do with the calls all being recorded there.
Yeah a couple yeas ago someone backed into my moms car and left a dent she didn't call 911 because they left before we got their but after trying to go through insurance they said we had to have a police report. Then thankfully are neighbor is a police officer and was able to do a report for us but he did say next time to call when it happens because they be able to help us better because if he didn't help us we have to go to the station and wait for an officer to do it. So we now call 911 or the non emergency number and take care of it that way.

Just a note for people saying you shouldn't call 911 in Disney for car break ins when you call 911 you get reedy creek emergency services they ask you police fire or medical you tell them then they send the proper service towards you. Plus for every all they call Disney security and they respond to so you get both by calling 911 if you wait for Disney security then they have to call so your just cutting the middle man out.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
911 is for emergencies.

"I need to fill out paperwork for my insurance company" is not an emergency.

911 lines are overloaded to the point that people sometimes have to wait. People who cannot breathe - 20 seconds can make all the difference in the world to these people.

Clogging 911 lines with bullcookies is a rotten thing to do.

Heart attacks, choking, strangers breaking into your house...those things are emergencies. "Someone stole stuff from my car" is the kind of thing that can wait while you call 411 for the non-emergency number to the police department.

The reason we have 911 is so that:
1) people can remember the emergency number
2) emergency calls can be given priority and jump to the head of the line, saving seconds for people to whom seconds means the difference between life and death

If you think that someone else who has an intruder in their home or a kid who cannot breathe should wait while your "I need to fill out paperwork" call is routed, you are wrong. I don't mean you, personally - I mean the general "you."

Whoever told them that they shouldn't have called 911 was correct.
Fantasmic sucks.

Last edited by kaligal; 01-08-2013 at 08:13 PM.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: