Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals - Updated 4/10

We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What...?
Stories from New DLR Locals

Greetings readers!! Welcome to a trip report unlike any I've attempted (or even read) before. Well, perhaps even calling it a "trip report" is a bit of a misnomer. For lack of a better term, I guess you could call it a "life report." It's the story of how my wife and I decided to make a change in our life and start anew somewhere else. It's the story of how we decided to move to Disneyland.

Now, before I get way ahead of myself, some introductions are in order. Perhaps I should start off by saying that you'll probably get to know Tracy and I a bit better if you read the other two trip reports I've been writing. Both of them are still works in progress, though I'm getting closer to wrapping up one of them. Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish was my first trip report and relives our May 2012 trip to Walt Disney World. The entire trip was a prize from the WDW Radio Show and Mouse Fan Travel, we stayed in a Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room and had all kinds of awesome experiences, including being parade Grand Marshals. Can We Move Here and Be Pancho's Handlers? A Throwback Trip Report is the prequel that I began writing more recently. It takes you through our first trip to Disneyland in September 2011. Everything that we learned in that trip report was very influential as we planned our move and our new life in California. If you'd like to read those reports first and then come back here, this report will still be here when you're done!

For those of you who chose not to read the other reports, here are some brief introductions:

I'm Taylor. I'll be your narrator through this report. I love everything Disney! A lifelong WDW junkie, I got to know Disneyland on our trip last year and fell in love with it too. Here are some of my Disney stats. I'm trying to avoid duplicates from the previous reports, so they're getting a little more obscure:

Favorite Disney Snack: Mickey Pretzel, Pineapple-Vanilla Swirl Dole Whip Float
Favorite Nighttime Spectacular: Fantasmic! at Disneyland, Wishes
Favorite Attraction Theme Song: Soarin'
Favorite Extinct Attraction: Skyway, ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter

This is my wife Tracy. She and I have been together for almost eight years, have been married for two and a half, and have been going to Disney together since 2008. Here are her stats:

Favorite Disney Snack: Tigger Tail, Dole Whip Float, Red Velvet Cake Pop
Favorite Nighttime Spectacular: Wishes and World of Color
Favorite Attraction Theme Song: Haunted Mansion
Favorite Extinct Attraction: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

In the past, I've posted a few pictures from our past to introduce you to Tracy and me a little better. This time, I figured I'd kick it up a notch and show you our proudest YouTube moments (entirely non-Disney related). Click here to see mine, and then click here to see Tracy's.

So this is the trip report about how we ended up where we are now, and what we'll do now that were here. I don't want to give too much away, but six months ago we lived in the heart of New York City, and now we're currently living about ten minutes from Disneyland. This report is also going to be unique because we have no idea what's going to happen next! It will be a journey through our new life as Disneyland locals who will HOPEFULLY soon be able to get into the parks. It might become the story of new cast members or Disney vacation planners or people who do something we haven't even dreamed of yet. One thing we can be certain about, however, is that Disney will play a huge role in our future.

While a lot is still up in the air, what we do know is what has happened so far, so I can promise you the stories of: a three-month layover in Colorado; a car named Dumbo; a dog dressed as a pumpkin; the proper feeding of giraffes; e-mails from Tom Staggs; a three day, five-state road trip; wearing bathing suits in 17-degree weather; a haunted hotel; a Las Vegas room upgrade; losing eight dollars gambling; Disney phone interviews; an apartment that's straight out of Port Orleans; a Fantasmic audition; Christmas decorations at every Disneyland hotel; exploring Downtown Disney; Earl of Sandwich holiday sandwiches; riding teacups with Goofy; relaxing by the fire at the Grand Californian; several treats from Marcelines Confectionery; and most recently, a Disney New Years Eve that included two sets of fireworks and a World of Color viewing without setting foot in the parks.

It's been a crazy adventure already, and in most ways the adventure has only just begun. I hope you'll enjoy reading along and joining us in our new life experiment. One of the most exciting things I've found about trip reporting has been reading and responding to your comments as you follow along, so please let me know you're here, ask me your questions, or share your own anecdotes! I hope you enjoy the wild ride.

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals

Last edited by tayalltheway; 04-11-2014 at 01:21 AM.
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

Prologue
Welcome

Part I: June-October 2012
Chapter 1: Exposition
Chapter 2: Be It Ever So Humble...
Chapter 3: Pills, Wings, and Automobiles
Chapter 4: A Trial Road Trip
Chapter 5: Impressed/Not Impressed
Chapter 6: Please Feed the Animals
Chapter 7: Wake Up, September's Ending
Chapter 8: Elk in the Field, Book in the Freezer
Chapter 9: True Love Week
Chapter 10: Decisions
Chapter 11: Spooky Scary

Part II: November 2012-Mid-February 2013
Chapter 12: Let’s Get This Show…
Chapter 13: …On the Road
Chapter 14: Reverse Polar Bear Plunge
Chapter 15: Sometimes Nature is Boring
Chapter 16: Time Change Blues
Chapter 17: Viva Las Vegas
Chapter 18: Vegas, Baby!
Chapter 19: Going Home?
Chapter 20: A Taste of Disney
Chapter 21: Ain’t It Grand?
Chapter 22: Apartment Hunters: Orange County
Chapter 23: Moving. Is. The. Worst.
Chapter 24: Moving In
Chapter 25: Your Guide to How to Not Get a Job at Disneyland
Chapter 26: Learning Curve
Chapter 27: The Lay of the Land
Chapter 28: Give Thanks
Chapter 29: Haul Out the Holly
Chapter 30: I Feel It in My Fingers
Chapter 31: There’s a Tree in the Grand Hotel
Chapter 32: We’re Going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo
Chapter 33: Christmas Once More
Chapter 34: We Wish You a Merry Christmas…
Chapter 35: …and a Happy New Year
Chapter 36: Christmas is Over?
Chapter 37: Celebrating a Quarter-Century
Chapter 38: Kitties
Chapter 39: Odds and Ends
Chapter 40: Branching Out
Chapter 41: Large and Powerful Dragons: A PSA
Chapter 42: Desperation Days
Chapter 43: The Calm

Part III: Mid-February-May 2013
Chapter 44: What’s Different About Today?
Chapter 45: Disneyland Is Your Land
Chapter 46: Disney Food at Last
Chapter 47: A Timeless Journey Through Lands of Fantasy
Chapter 48: To All Who Come to This Happy Place, Welcome
Chapter 49: DCA 2.0
Chapter 50: Get Your Kicks on Route 66
Chapter 51: American Experiences
Chapter 52: Fly, My Pretties
Chapter 53: Evening Hopping
Chapter 54: Surprises, Introductions, and Reunions
Chapter 55: Ups and Downs
Chapter 56: We Have Liftoff
Chapter 57: Fall into the GAC
Chapter 58: A New Normal
Chapter 59: After-Hours in the Kingdom
Chapter 60: It’s a World of Laughter (and Color)
Chapter 61: DISers in Real Life
Chapter 62: A Reason to Celebrate
Chapter 63: Spontaneous Fun
Chapter 64: And It Rained…
Chapter 65: Don’t We Look Darling
Chapter 66: Just a Casual Day in the Park?
Chapter 67: New Lands to Explore
Chapter 68: Eating Disney Food (and My Words)
Chapter 69: So Long, Farewell
Chapter 70: Maximum Efficiency
Chapter 71: Putting All My Eggs in One Basket
Chapter 72: Disappointments… and Cats
Chapter 73: Enjoying Our Freedom
Chapter 74: Ch-Ch-Changes
Chapter 75: Stars—They’re Just Like Us
Chapter 76: Spring Has Sprung
Chapter 77: In My Easter Bonnet
Chapter 78: A Foolish April
Chapter 79: Angels in the Outfield
Chapter 80: Hello, Goodbye
Chapter 81: New Friends
Chapter 82: Workin’ Hard
Chapter 83: Horse Feathers
Chapter 84: Mark Three, Quarter Left Three
Chapter 85: A Taste of Heaven
Chapter 86: Always Something New
Chapter 87: Dude, Love Is in the Air
Chapter 88: I’ve Got a Bad Feeling About This
Chapter 89: A Scavenger Hunt
Chapter 90: Willy Nilly Silly
Chapter 91: How Rude!
Chapter 92: Simply Monstrous
Chapter 93: The Best Food
Chapter 94: Denver

Part IV: June-September 2013
Chapter 95: Goin’ Home
Chapter 96: Near Death
Chapter 97: Comfort Food
Chapter 98: Anticipation
Chapter 99: Bucket List
Chapter 100: Mental Pictures
Chapter 101: Characterpalooza
Chapter 102: Natural Beauty
Chapter 103: Rocky Cliffs and Sandy Beaches
Chapter 104: Three Years
Chapter 105: We Built Soak City on Fried Chicken
Chapter 106: Frumps and Snakes
Chapter 107: In-Laws
Chapter 108: Baby, You’re a Firework
Chapter 109: Back to Our Routine
Chapter 110: Let’s Dance!
Chapter 111: Arabian Oasis
Chapter 112: Return of the Bratswurth
Chapter 113: Overcoming Fear
Chapter 114: Going Bananas
Chapter 115: You Don't Look a Day Over 57
Chapter 116: Opening Day Fun
Chapter 117: Wonderful Day for a Fair
Chapter 118: All the Pretty Horses
Chapter 119: Some of My Best Friends Are Goats
Chapter 120: Impromptu Road Trip
Chapter 121: Beware of Tree Snakes
Chapter 122: Tour Guides
Chapter 123: I’m Among My People
Chapter 124: Legends and Celebrities
Chapter 125: Journey into Imagineering
Chapter 126: That Was Just Day One?
Chapter 127: Going to the Dogs
Chapter 128: It’s a Jolly Holiday
Chapter 129: Tuppence a Bag
Chapter 130: The Soundtrack of Our Lives
Chapter 131: Koko Selga
Chapter 132: An Uneventful Homecoming
Chapter 133: This Is (Almost) Halloween
Chapter 134: It’s Getting Hot, Hot, HOT
Chapter 135: So Long, Farewell
Chapter 136: Limited Time Darkness
Chapter 137: Travel Woes
Chapter 138: The Deluge
Chapter 139: And Now for Something Completely Different
Chapter 140: Lions and Tigers and Bears—Literally
Chapter 141: Home for Halloween
Chapter 142: La La La La La
Chapter 143: It’s a Ghooooooost
Chapter 144: Sugar and Spice
Chapter 145: One Last Farewell
Chapter 146: Jane

Part V: October-December 2013
Chapter 147: What About Bob?
Chapter 148: DAS Good
Chapter 149: Thirteen
Chapter 150: Get Into the Spirit, Let Everyone Hear It
Chapter 151: It's Duffy Mania
Chapter 152: Final Boarding Call
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 04-11-2014 at 01:21 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
wiscbugs
Loving everything Disney!

Can't wait for all of the updates! Did either of you get jobs yet out there?
wiscbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
EliS15
Earning My Ears

With an introduction like that how could I not follow along!

I think it is great that you are writing about this portion of your lives, it might come in handy if anyone else is looking to make a journey similar to yours!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Part I
June-October 2012

Chapter 1
Exposition

I’ll start off the story of how we got where we are with a decent amount of exposition. If you’ve read my previous reports, you already know some of this, but I feel like a refresher never hurts.

Tracy and I grew up in Colorado, but until recently we had been living in New York City. I had gone to school there starting in 2006, and Tracy joined me there after she graduated in 2009. Our life there was interesting, but not exactly what we had hoped for. We both found ourselves getting burnt out on living in the big city by mid-2011, so we had been planning how to make a change for about a year before we actually made one.

Our plans evolved over the year leading up to the actual move. Part of it was impacted by the fact that my health went a little south toward the end of 2011. I won’t bore you with all the technical details, but basically I have dysautonomia, also known as a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system. Since that system controls everything from breathing to blood pressure to digestion, the slightest problem with it can throw your whole body off. There are a whole slew of symptoms but it most often manifests itself in me as an inability to stand for long periods of time without almost passing out. I also will have episodes of severe brain fogs where I feel dizzy and generally unable to think very well. Consequently, our lives have been more than slightly disrupted since this has been a part of them.

The original plan that we devised for ourselves stemmed from our visit to Disneyland in September 2011. We realized that we enjoyed California—at least what we had seen of it—and that it seemed like the polar opposite of New York, which we were ready for! Hence, we started devising a plan to move to the L.A. area once our lease was up at the end of August 2012. We started doing our research about California living over the first half of 2012, all the while saving as much money as we possibly could to prepare for the move. This would have meant that we wouldn’t have been able to visit Disney at all in 2012, but amazingly, we won our trip to Walt Disney World during Lou Mongello’s fifth anniversary podcast of the WDW Radio Show. That trip, in May 2012 was absolutely amazing. Everything about it was as close to perfect as I can imagine a trip being.

Unfortunately, our luck seemed to run out soon after we returned from WDW. I had a major flare up of my health issues at the beginning of June, which lasted much longer than we would have hoped. I was left unable to do much of anything for our last two months in NYC. We hoped it would pass and I would be ready for our move to California, which we had tentatively planned for early August. We were going to fly to Colorado and stay with Tracy’s parents for a week or two. We planned to buy a car there—you don’t need a car when you live in New York City—and then drive out to California.

As June turned to July and I still wasn’t feeling better, we realized we needed to rethink the plan a bit. Tracy’s parents very kindly consented to host us on a more open-ended basis while we saw what would happen with my health and tried to devise the best possible plan for when to complete our move. This brought us to the beginning of August, and our last week in NYC. We had both finished up with our jobs and had turned our complete focus to the move.

We found U-Haul’s moving service called their “U-Box.” It’s basically the same idea as the PODS moving containers where you load up your box with all of your possessions and then the company moves it for you. Luckily with U-Box, they also simply give you the option to store your possessions in the box locally before they ship them off to your destination. Since we had no real idea where exactly we were going to end up (or when), it made the most sense for us to have our box stored in the New York area until we knew where to tell them to send it.

Knowing the dimensions of the U-Box in advance, we found ourselves the night before our move with all of our worldly belongings packed up into boxes—or thrown together in other ways—while we prepared to load up the next day. We mapped out these dimensions on the floor of our apartment and then piled everything together in a mass that emulated the U-Box. We had to be as sure as possible that we weren’t going to exceed the space limits.

The next morning, the moving company that we were using to transport and load up the box arrived at our apartment. The movers came upstairs, saw our pile, and asked exactly the very last question we wanted to hear from them: “So what are your high priority items in case everything doesn’t fit?” Balking for a second, we regained our composure quickly and asserted that we were pretty sure everything would fit fine. After the pair of movers made more trips than I care to remember down to the box, we luckily found that we were right. Everything fit no problem, and we closed up the box really hoping that we would someday see our stuff again in one piece.

We spent our last twenty-four hours in New York doing what I think any logical set of people in the middle of a move would do—we ate a lot and went to the zoo! Okay, we also did lots of cleaning and grunt-work to turn our apartment around before vacating, but we knew that finishing everything in time to make one last trip to the Central Park Zoo before flying out was the most important.

We had to bid farewell to the animal friends we had faithfully visited at least monthly during our last year and a half in the city. First, there was the disgruntled llama named Frankie. Frankie was the biggest brat ever. There is a petting zoo at the Central Park Children’s Zoo, and he became our biggest frenemy on all of our visits there. Refusing to be pet but loving to be fed, he always stayed strategically out of reach at any given moment. Then on this last trip, suddenly Frankie was friendly. He seemed to know that this was goodbye, because he let both Tracy and I pet his afro several times without pulling away. I think it was his last act of spite.

We were also sad to bid farewell to the sea lions we loved visiting at the zoo. Sea lions are my favorite animals, and we loved watching the crew here.

Finally, we had to pay one last parting visit to the area of Central Park by our apartment where every night there was a raccoon witching hour. There were tens if not hundreds of raccoons living in the trees and sewer lines in this area, and every day at dusk we would take a walk around to see them all as they came out for their nighttime wanderings. There were several sets of babies, and they were all just adorable.

These goodbyes accomplished—yes, the fact that most of the goodbyes we had to make as we prepared to leave New York were animals may give you an indication why we weren’t too torn up about leaving the place—our time for departure officially came. Exhausted from our days of moving and cleaning, we took a last look at our 500 square foot studio apartment and headed out.

It only makes sense that our last cab ride to the airport was as fraught with terror as every cab ride we took in the years of living in the city. Despite having our lives in the hands of a typical cabbie, however, as we got off the island of Manhattan and pulled up to JFK, I could already feel my stomach unclenching. Between our hellish last few months in NYC and the stress of moving, this was the moment when we finally felt like we could start breathing again. Phase one of the move was almost successfully complete.

Our bags were full to bursting—two pieces of checked luggage, two rolling carry-ons, and two backpacks held everything we would be living out of for the next indefinite amount of time. Amazingly, however, the entire flight went off without a hitch. We took one last look out the window as we took off from New York, and three hours later we landed in Denver. Even in the airport, the air felt more breathable—though of course much thinner—as we made our way to the exit. Both of our bags getting spat out of the baggage carrousel was another moment full of relief as we hauled everything out to the curb. When Tracy’s parents pulled up to the arrivals area to pick us up, I knew in that moment that while there was still so much up in the air, we were at that moment right where we needed to be. Some time at home would definitely do us some good!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 01-15-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Hi, Taylor!

From one detailed writer/storyteller to another (and I think that what you've written so far is absolutely great, by the way!), I wanted to point out something (a weird glitch which you may or may not have noticed) before you get too far into sharing your journey.

I find that when I compose my trip report installments, many of which include some sort of story or narrative, in a program such as MS Word and then copy/paste the text into the box here on the DIS, everything is fine.

However - and this has been happening repeatedly in recent months - if I, for example, spot a typo in my text or something I would like to change and I proceed to make the correction directly in the post itself, a lot of the punctuation goes awry. If I have used ellipses or hyphens or apostrophes, they suddenly disappear - and sometimes they are replaced by mysterious ampersands. I literally end up having to go through the entire post and correct each mistake, and there may be dozens of those occurrences.

This glitch does not appear to happen when the text is (originally) typed directly in the message box, rather than copied/pasted from another application.

I am to the point now where if I see something I want to change in my post after it has already been posted, I end up leaving it alone because I am so afraid of messing up the punctuation in the entire post! I hate leaving a typo uncorrected, but the idea of having to sit there and go through my entire post looking for punctuation glitches is daunting.

I think the only way that I have found to bypass this problem is to go back to my original text in MS Word or wherever it was originally created and correct the typo (or whatever word/phrase I want to add/edit) there, and then re-copy/re-paste the whole thing into the message box. Either that or just create the entire post directly in the message box. It's a pain, but it seems to prevent the punctuation from going awry!

Anyway I thought I'd point it out to you because I noticed that this kooky problem was happening with your very first post (the punctuation changed or disappeared in many cases) after you edited it and I didn't want it to happen with your subsequent posts!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12

Last edited by Sherry E; 01-07-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
Luisa
Mouseketeer

Love it! Subbing
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - both coasts!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
Love it! Subbing
Same!

I wish we could pack up across the pacific and move to DL

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Love it! Subbing
Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
Same!

Me three.

Can't wait to see what you get up to! And congratulations on the move.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbugs View Post
Can't wait for all of the updates! Did either of you get jobs yet out there?
Glad you're here. That's a complicated question, haha... I currently am working from home for the company I was with in New York. Hoping it will be a short-term gig and that I can find something I actually enjoy doing, but for now it's fine. Tracy has applied to a few things with Disney that it seems like they're just taking forever to get back about. Hopefully good news will be on the horizon soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliS15 View Post
With an introduction like that how could I not follow along!

I think it is great that you are writing about this portion of your lives, it might come in handy if anyone else is looking to make a journey similar to yours!
Welcome!! I hope the report can serve in the future as a guide as to what to do (and probably some of what not to do) in making this type of move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Hi, Taylor!

From one detailed writer/storyteller to another (and I think that what you've written so far is absolutely great, by the way!), I wanted to point out something (a weird glitch which you may or may not have noticed) before you get too far into sharing your journey.

I find that when I compose my trip report installments, many of which include some sort of story or narrative, in a program such as MS Word and then copy/paste the text into the box here on the DIS, everything is fine.

However - and this has been happening repeatedly in recent months - if I, for example, spot a typo in my text or something I would like to change and I proceed to make the correction directly in the post itself, a lot of the punctuation goes awry. If I have used ellipses or hyphens or apostrophes, they suddenly disappear - and sometimes they are replaced by mysterious ampersands. I literally end up having to go through the entire post and correct each mistake, and there may be dozens of those occurrences.

This glitch does not appear to happen when the text is (originally) typed directly in the message box, rather than copied/pasted from another application.

I am to the point now where if I see something I want to change in my post after it has already been posted, I end up leaving it alone because I am so afraid of messing up the punctuation in the entire post! I hate leaving a typo uncorrected, but the idea of having to sit there and go through my entire post looking for punctuation glitches is daunting.

I think the only way that I have found to bypass this problem is to go back to my original text in MS Word or wherever it was originally created and correct the typo (or whatever word/phrase I want to add/edit) there, and then re-copy/re-paste the whole thing into the message box. Either that or just create the entire post directly in the message box. It's a pain, but it seems to prevent the punctuation from going awry!

Anyway I thought I'd point it out to you because I noticed that this kooky problem was happening with your very first post (the punctuation changed or disappeared in many cases) after you edited it and I didn't want it to happen with your subsequent posts!
Thanks so much for pointing this out! I'd noticed it happening a few times in one of my other reports, but hadn't caught it in this one yet. What a pain to fix, but at least doable. I think in the future I'm going to correct my typos in Word like you suggested. At least then I'll have a record to go back to and probably speed up the process if it happens again. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupikgal View Post
I'm enjoying every word of your move! I love that you started from the beginning in NY and even showed your belongings stacked in the tiny space where they would be living until delivered! Good job making us hunger for more! Can't wait to tune in later and read all about the CO part of the journey! My niece lives in Erie, btw, and I finally visited her and her family last year (now I can say that, even if we are only a week into 2013) I actually did a train trip from Vegas, but in that case, it was booked via Amtrak, but I had to take a van, train then bus to get to Denver (my choice) I prefer the long way around, and at that time I was unemployed and decided to take advantage of the time I had to explore the countryside! When I left, we flew out of Denver back to Anaheim, so I did get to see the circus top airport!

Looking forward to the rest of your adventure!!
I figured I might as well draw it all out as long as possible! I'm glad that you're reading along and enjoying. Your trip from Vegas to CO sounds fun to me. It was probably the reverse route of part of what we did on the move out here. So much pretty scenery along that whole trip. And you were right by our neck of the woods being in Erie since we're from Boulder! Isn't our airport just the... weirdest? Actually, of all the airports I've ever flown to/from, it's my favorite. It just always feels so much more clean and open compared to most airports. I think they were actually onto something with the tent design, because it sure makes it feel spacious in there! Hope you continue to enjoy reading about our journey.

Quote:
Love it! Subbing
Great! Glad you're here

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
Same!

As difficult as our move was to maneuver, I imagine that yours would be a whole lot harder... Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Me three.

Can't wait to see what you get up to! And congratulations on the move.
Triumvirate achieved! Thanks for reading! Hopefully all of our shenanigans won't disappoint.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #11
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

I've been looking forward to you starting this report so glad you posted the link in your last TP. I can't wait to hear all about your new adventures and hope to hear you both get your dream jobs in Disney. The YouTube videos were great xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

Hi Tay, just finished both your other TR's and really enjoyed them.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures in California and hope you both are able to find your dream jobs.

I really have to compliment you on your writing style, as you really had me hooked to read all about your trips. I really appreciated your views on WDW and also on Universal's Harry Potter World (whatever it is called!). One day we hope to visit both. We have only been to Disneyland (1977, 1993, 1995 & 2011), and love it with a passion. I remember the Aladdin parade vividly too!

Good luck with your endeavours and I look forward to hearing all about them!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum View Post
I've been looking forward to you starting this report so glad you posted the link in your last TP. I can't wait to hear all about your new adventures and hope to hear you both get your dream jobs in Disney. The YouTube videos were great xx
So glad to have you here! I hope that the tales of all of our latest adventures won't disappoint And you're the first person to comment on the YouTube videos! I'm glad you enjoyed, I just thought it would be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
Hi Tay, just finished both your other TR's and really enjoyed them.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures in California and hope you both are able to find your dream jobs.

I really have to compliment you on your writing style, as you really had me hooked to read all about your trips. I really appreciated your views on WDW and also on Universal's Harry Potter World (whatever it is called!). One day we hope to visit both. We have only been to Disneyland (1977, 1993, 1995 & 2011), and love it with a passion. I remember the Aladdin parade vividly too!

Good luck with your endeavours and I look forward to hearing all about them!
Thanks for reading along with this report and the others! I'm glad you enjoy reading them, because I've been having so much fun writing them. Hope you'll enjoy this one as I finally start to roll it out.

You definitely need to make it out to Florida some day! It's such a different experience from Disneyland, but one that I'm sure you'll love. That Aladdin parade is such a funny memory. They went ALL OUT promoting that film. I can't remember there ever being an entire parade devoted to one movie before or since...

Anyway, thank you for the compliments and the well-wishes. Can't wait to share more of our stories with you!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #14
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 2
Be It Ever So Humble…

I’ve found that returning to my hometown, no matter the circumstances, always offers a sense of comfort. Our lives have been in a pretty constant state of flux over the last several years, and in New York, I don't think there was ever a sense of us being able to ground ourselves and put down roots. Perhaps that’s why we weren’t destined to stay there. But even though we knew our return to Colorado was only temporary, that sense of homecoming was present from the first morning we woke up there and knew we could, technically, stay as long as we needed.

Our lives acquired a rather routine rhythm pretty quickly—I won’t bore you with lots of the everyday details—but there were several days there that were, in some way, out of the ordinary, so I’ll share some of those with you.

First off, however, there are a couple introductions to be made when describing our life in Colorado. The city of Boulder seems like a good place to start. For anyone who has never been to our hometown, I can’t recommend it highly enough that you pay a visit someday.

The second, extremely important introduction is Tracy’s parents’ dog Sophie. She’s a twelve-year old miniature dachshund, and she’s probably the most adorable dog I’ve ever known. When we’re in CO, we fawn over her beyond belief. The problem is—well, there are several problems. First off, she really doesn’t like us much. I guess that’s not totally true; she just doesn’t really like people that much. She’s not mean or anything (she’s one of the most docile dogs I’ve ever met), but she’s more like a cat than a dog. She generally doesn’t care about being pet, or about getting attention, or about playing, or really about anything much. Except food. She loves food—quite literally—more than life itself. Hence, her dinner time was one of our favorite times out of every day. The minute you ask, “want to eat?” she goes crazy. It’s the one time each day when she was guaranteed to show some interest in us. The other thing about Sophie is that she’s really dumb. Like dumb as a brick. Because of this, we usually call her Stupey Doodle (or just Stupey). That name has also morphed over time into such nicknames as Stewy Monster.

Here’s the little angel now.

Tracy and my families, of course, also played a major role in our stay in CO. We stayed at her parents’ house, but made frequent visits to my mom’s house where she lives with my grandma, as well as visits with my dad, my stepmom Beth, and my half-siblings Emma and Ben. Tracy also has quite the local extended family. Her mom is one of nine siblings, most of whom still live in the area, so we spent a lot of time catching up with all the relatives.

But anyway, on with some highlights of our first month in CO. When we first arrived there, Colorado was just getting some relief from the string of forest fires that seemed to be burning everywhere. That meant a constant haze of smoke hovering around the usually crystal-clear mountains. It was almost like a precursor to what the mountains in CA would look like on a smoggy day.

One of the first things we did just a couple days after arriving was to finally see Brave at the movie theater. We had really wanted to see it when it came out, but we had sworn off seeing movies in NYC. It was just way too much of a hassle there. In New York, you arrive at a movie an hour before it starts, and you are met with a line very much resembling one at a Disney park. You subsequently wait in said line until about twenty minutes before the movie, and then you are admitted into the theater. The movie theater we lived nearest to in New York was one of the biggest, most popular theaters in the city, yet for some reason I will truly NEVER understand, they never took the time to install stadium seating. Now, I have been to movie theaters in some pretty Podunk places, and in this day and age, EVERY theater has stadium seating. Our problem with the theater in NYC not opting to join the late twentieth century and install this “perk” is that Tracy is a relatively short person. Therefore, it could be all but guaranteed that no matter how early we tried to stake out a spot at the movies, or how strategically we planned our sitting situation, someone with a giant head would always swoop in at the last minute, sit right in front of her, and block her view.

My rebellious nature kicking in, the last time we ever saw a movie at that theater in New York, I came prepared. I printed out a sign that said, in large letters, “Seat Out of Order! Do Not Use!” And I taped that sign on the seat in front of the one in which Tracy sat. The movie was packed—as all movies are in NYC—but no one wanted to risk sitting in that chair, and Tracy enjoyed her only unobstructed view at a movie in New York.

But I TOTALLY digress! The other reason we wanted to see Brave in CO was that the movie theater was dirt cheap. By going to the first showing of the day, our tickets were only $4.00 each (a.k.a. a full ten dollars cheaper per person than they would have been in NYC). Anyway, we enjoyed Brave a lot! It may not have totally lived up to the Pixar standard of greatness, but I thought it was really well-done, and had a lot of heart. After the movie, we went to the mall for lunch, and ventured into the Disney Store. It was during one of their “Twice Upon a Year” sales, and we picked up this plush for just $5.00.

August continued to chug along, and our routine at Tracy’s parents’ house solidified further. We took some turns cooking, and we also got to go out to some of our favorite local restaurants. One restaurant that I wouldn’t typically count among our favorites, but which we had the... pleasure(?) of trying out anyway, was Chuck E. Cheese. Tracy’s cousin was turning six years old, so we attended a little party for her there. Having not been to Chuck E. Cheese in probably almost twenty years before this occasion, this is what I gleaned from the experience:

1) The food isn’t as bad as you might expect as long as you play it safe. Our initial inclination was to steer clear of the pizza, because we knew that gross pizza pretty much always tastes the same. After looking at the menu and discussing it with one of Tracy’s cousins, however, we decided to split a Veggie Pizza. This turned out to be a good option because all the veggies disguised the taste of gross pizza, so it wasn’t that bad. Some of the other people in our group decided to branch out and try the Buffalo Wings, and they quickly regretted it.

2) The “audioanimatronics” are terrifying. I didn’t even realize there was an audioanimatronic type show at Chuck E. Cheese, but it was scary in how awful it was. It was all mostly unintelligible gibberish being "sung" by monsters. I’m quite sure that several of the songs were about how to correctly apply sunscreen. The one that stuck in my head the most for the rest of that day was called “SPF.”

3) You’re never too old for a souvenir cup. We all got our drinks in these sweet Chuck E. Cheese cups, and since we opted for that upgrade, we were informed that if we brought them back, we could get free soda in them EVERY time we came to Chuck E. Cheese in the future. Talk about a bargain.

The rest of August honestly flew by. We met up with lots of family, both immediate and extended, and also a couple friends. Tracy’s best friend from her childhood dropped the unexpected bomb on us that she was pregnant, so that threw us for a loop. She actually just had her baby yesterday, so it’s amazing how time flies!

The last weekend of August, Tracy went up to her aunt’s cabin in the mountains with a few of her aunts and cousins for one of their “girls’ weekends.” I was jealous that they got to see lots of animals while they were up there.

And it looks like Tracy played a mean game of horseshoes.

At least I got to hang out with Stupey Doodle back at home. One of the best moments was when she didn’t realize I was home, and I caught her up on the couch (where she is very much not-allowed). Her look of anger at being discovered was priceless.

And speaking of pets, we also found a couple new ones in Tracy’s parents’ backyard in August. Three different toads decided to make themselves at home in the yard, and we thought they were a fun addition. Unfortunately, we found out that, while they’re generally not harmful to humans or dogs, if a dog eats a toad, the dog will die. We didn’t think Stewy would ever be smart enough to accomplish eating a toad, but she also just might have been dumb enough to try. Therefore, we had to relocate the toads to the park down the road. I was sad to see my friend go.

We also went miniature golfing. I don’t really have any fun stories about this excursion, but here are some pictures.

Before we knew it, we had almost spent an entire month in Colorado. We were possibly getting a little over-comfortable, but in the next month we would make a few decisions that would kick our planning for the rest of the move into slightly higher gear.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 01-23-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 AM   #15
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Lovely pics from Colorado. Looks like you have a great time visiting.

Where did you let that toad go? He looks like a friendly sort.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: