Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

We won a trip to Hawaii - Waikiki and Aulani!

We had already planned our 15 wedding anniversary trip (one week in Kona and one week on Kauai) for the first two weeks of September. In June My husband won a trip on Facebook with Expedia. It was for a flight and 4 nights at the Aqua Palms in Waikiki and we had to use it by the end of December. We own points at the BCV and decided to use some of our points at Aulani to extend the trip to 9 nights. We were able to book for the week we wanted and we later upgraded our seats to economy comfort. I didn’t do much planning for this trip until after we returned from the Big Island and Kauai.

We travel to Hawaii quite frequently and we had been to Oahu once 10 years ago for a few nights just to see Pearl Harbor and to honest really didn’t like the island that much, so I never imagined that we would be ever able to see Aulani. We were looking forward to getting out of Waikiki and seeing the sights on the North Shore and just relaxing and enjoying Disney’s newest property.

My husband “met” a guy on a message board regarding scuba diving on Oahu. He is in the Navy and stationed at Pearl. They chatted and emailed quite frequently and he said he was going to plan a tour for us. I kept asking, what kind of tour, but never really got an answer from Danny, just that the tickets to the Arizona was taken care of. Finally got the date he wanted to take us a week before we were to leave so I could finalize some plans.
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS December 7-15, 2013 - BCV Next Trip - Aulani December 10-12, 2014
kathymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
disney212
DIS Veteran

That is awesome! Hope you have a great time. DH and I plan on going for our 15th too (less than two years to go).
disney212 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Thursday Dec 6, 2012 - DAY 1

The day started early at 3:45. Thank God we checked our flights the night before because we thought we had 8:15 flight and it was actually 7:15. Left the house a little after 4:30 and got to the airport in record time. Quick check in and no first class upgrades available for the quick flight to Atlanta. Watched some tv and time flew by. Tight layover and when we get to the gate for out next leg the door is shut, but they say “Honolulu?” Yep, they say “right this way” and us and one other couple walk down the walkway. A couple of people came after us so at least we weren’t the last.

Settle in to the economy plus seats, (which I guess were worth the money) for the long 9 ½ hour flight. Watched a couple of movies (I think I watched Brave and the Odd life of Timothy Green) and had some lunch. Hubby got the roast beef sandwich and I had a cheese plate that was quite good. A couple of drinks and a couple of walks around the plane and the slightly painful flight is over.

Landed around 4 pm and luggage comes right off and we are off to Alamo. Grab our Chrysler 200 and off to find our home for the next 4 nights. And then… traffic. Not that bad, but already wondering how this is going to go all week. Missed the entrance for the hotel – Aqua Palms the first time, but a quick U turn and we get it right the next. Take the left into the steep driveway into the tight parking lot. Lug all of our luggage through the parking lot, in the elevator and into the lobby. Didn’t realize we could have pulled up right onto the sidewalk. Check into our room, and Danny’s not impressed but I think the view is pretty cool. Diamond Head in the distance and a slice of the ocean to the right and no balcony but I kind of prepared myself for that one.

Settled in a little and had a drink and then walked over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village right across the street in search of food. Went to the bar and ordered up our first mai tai. Got an order of fried onions with a spicy dipping sauce that was very tasty and some good buffalo wings and kalua pork nachos that were kind of meh. Chatted with a couple of guys at the bar. To the right, a retired cook 30 years with the coast guard and to the left a retired Lieutenant Colonel in marines who now works for the navy. Back to the room for a night cap and off to bed around 10:30.
May 5-12, 2007 POP + OKW Sept 27-Oct 5, 2008 Contemporary December 4-13, 2010 - BCV
March 14-17, 2013 SSPINGS December 7-15, 2013 - BCV Next Trip - Aulani December 10-12, 2014
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Friday Dec 7, 2012 – Pearl Harbor Day - DAY 2

Room faces a busy street which is really noisy at night so I turned up the ac as high as it could go and it didn’t bother us that much. Well that and the fact that we were just up 24 hours.

Up and out to breakfast at IHOP downstairs. Haven’t been to one in years. I got a crepe with bananas and strawberries and two eggs and bacon – way more than I ever have for breakfast. Carb loading for our hike later today. Hubby had two eggs, hash browns sausage and toast. It was all pretty good and the service was good. Walked over to the Village to check out Martin and MaCarther to see if they had the surfing Santa ornament he wanted but they weren’t open yet.

Grab the car and head off to Diamondhead. Couldn’t believe how close of a drive it was. Had to drive around the lot 3 or 4 times before we got a parking spot, which was kind of odd. Got pretty winded a couple of times and the tunnel kind of freaked me out a little, but we made it to the top and the view was fabulous. Took a bunch of photos and checked out the bunker and head back down. Cross that one off the list.

We were too hot and sweaty to do anything else so we head back to the hotel for a dip in the roof top pool. Surprisingly refreshing if not down-right cool! Chill for a few and then the dude with the case of beer by the pool asks Danny – hey bloke would you like a beer. Chatted with cute guy from Australia, who by the way is in the Australian Infantry. Too hot out and too much sun so we head back to the room and then off to lunch at the Wailana coffee shop.

Hubby got a cheese burger that was well done and had no cheese, sent it back and got another. I got a club that is hard not to screw up and we both had a mai tai (for only $3.50, what a bargain!)

Walk back over to McCarther’s but they don’t have the ornament we want in stock but they think that they do up at the Sheraton. I bought a new Keali’i Reichel CD and we chatted with the clerks for a while. I had wanted to walk the beach walk anyway so we head that way. Walk the beach all the way to Sheraton, find the ornament we wanted, had another nice conversation with a clerk, (the people that work at these stores are always so nice and we always have awesome conversations with them) and then walk the street way back to the hotel to put on sneakers and head back out for the Pearl Harbor parade.

Pulled up on the grassy knoll and waited for the parade to start. It was pretty cool with actual Pearl survivors riding in antique cars, hula dancing and fire dancing, bands and even bouncing cars.

Walking home we saw the cute Aussie crossing the street looking a little bit buzzed.

We stopped at Tony Roma’s for ribs which were decent, I had baby back and he had St Louis. Had a nightcap in the room and off to bed.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
kathymc
Dances in the kitchen
TR connosseur
Misses puppy breath

Saturday, December 8, 2012 - DAY 3

Up for breakfast at the coffee shop downstairs. Line to get in was out the door but we are seated in minutes. Hubby got the Irish omelet and I got the delicious French toast and perfectly cooked bacon but my egg was runny but with all the toast I really didn’t need it. Kind of slow service at the diner but we were in no rush. Back at the room we kept checking to see if the surfing was on or not to see if we would venture out to the North shore. Relax in the room for a few watching some of the surfers online before heading out to the east coast.

Saw Sam the Aussie trying to open a Carona at the pool so went down to offer Danny’s flip flop bottle opener. He got drunk last night and got a tattoo that says “Hawaii is Awesome” in Hawaiian on his thigh! What a riot.

Off to see the coast. Waves looked pretty high at Hanauma Bay so we were glad we decided not to snorkel it today. First stop was Lanai lookout which the blue book says technically you are looking at Molokai. Then we stooped at Holona beach and Halona Blowhole. Beach was cool but looked pretty dangerous to me. Lots of local kids jumping off the rocks.

Then to Makupu scenic lookout and then off to Lanaki Beach. We had been here 10 years ago and was the one thing we wanted to make sure we did again. What pretty beach. Jumped in the warm water and just floated around for a few taking a bunch of photos. Beautiful local family taking Christmas card photos in Hawaiian shirts and Santa hats.

Chilled for a few and then head off further North to Laie Point before turning back around and heading home. Ended up taking the Pali Highway back but it was dark by the time we got to the lookout so we didn’t stop. We should have started back earlier as now it was dark and I am trying to read maps in the dark and we miss a street getting back to the hotel but figure it out in the end. We were going to go to eat but ended up with just some cheese and crackers instead, watched a little bit of tv and off to bed.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Hi! May I follow along? we are not DVC owners but were just talking the other day about a trip to Hawaii! Very nice pics so far!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: