Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
ariamac
Mouseketeer

I think I'm ready to book my first solo trip!

Hi Everyone!

... It's been about 14 months since I've visited Disney World and I feel like I'm in withdrawl lol... especially after seeing how fantastic Fantasyland looks! Last week I was thinking about booking a week trip in June in order to attend a scrapbooking convention @ Coronado Springs but I feel I can't wait until June.

I found awesome airfare for the end of January and I think I'm gonna take the plunge and book it!! (Tomorrow though, I have to make sure I can get the time off work).

I've only ever been to Disney World twice, the first time was at the young age of 22. Both times I went with my then boyfriend, but we recently broke up (after 5 years) and I think I need to create some Disney memories I can call my own!

I'm not a very "solo" person, at least I haven't been for the past 5 years so I think it'll be very hard for me to go on vacation alone but it's Disney World! How can I not have a great time! I'm also hoping that it will cement that I can have fun by myself

Any advice???

"Never look back. If Cinderella went back to pick up her shoe, she wouldn't have become a princess."
ariamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Hi and welcome. You will have a great time. Your at Disney! Plus, you never know if there are people that are gonna be there at the same time as you and want to meet up! My friend is staying late Jan as well (27th-29). SO I will be down during that time to see her. I'm sure you can join us if you go during that time! There are ton of other locals as well on the board and I think there are even a few on here going late January.

Even if you don't want to meet up or cant; you will have fun! Being solo might seem bad when you first think about it. But, you can go at your own pace. Ride whatever you want as often as you want. A lot of the times, you might get to jump ahead in line because they need a single rider! Happens a lot on Toy Story Mania.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
TheoDawg
Mouseketeer

Solo Trips can be FUN

I had a blast when I did a solo trip one year at Thanksgiving, although eating alone was a bit boring, but only at the sit down restaurants.

I got up and was out the door in 15 minutes instead of 50-70 minutes.

Sometime I would just sit and people watch or ride the same ride over and over again, without the whining of "we already rode that".

I say Book it!!!
TheoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
ludari
DIS Veteran

I say do what you heart tells you. Personally, I am more relaxed and enjoy doing what I want when I go solo. If you have some reservations about going alone what about asking a friend to go with you? You can also post the time you are going solo on this site and possibly meet up with others to hang out. 14 months is too long to be away from the WDW.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

definitely go - but might go with Pop century instead of any of the moderates.

It is well lite at night - and it has more people so feel less alone. and look around unless the single person you see is bringing coffee or tray with food back to his room - they are also traveling alone.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
ariamac
Mouseketeer

Well, I took the plunge and booked my airfare yesterday... so I'm going to WDW solo!!! So excited!

"Never look back. If Cinderella went back to pick up her shoe, she wouldn't have become a princess."
Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
Bee2u
ImJustBeeNme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariamac View Post
Well, I took the plunge and booked my airfare yesterday... so I'm going to WDW solo!!! So excited!
Grats! I'm getting very excited about my upcoming solo trip, too.

My WDW trips: July 1972; Summer 1980; Honeymoon - June 28th - July 2, 1986; Summer 1999; March 2000 (kids sang @ Magical Music Days); Our 25th Anniv. - June 24 - 28th, 2011 WL; Nov. 20 - 24, 2012 POR; Jan. 2 - 5, 2013 WL (My first Solo trip); Jan. 26 - 29, 2013 WL; birthday trip: Apr. 5 - 8, 2013 BC; June 3 - 8 2013 WL; First trip to DLR July 5 - 7, 2013; Sept. 19 - 22, 2013 WL; Nov. 23 - 29, 2013 POR; Dec. 6 - 9, 2013 CS; Feb. 1 - 3, 2014 Poly; Mar. 8 - 12, 2014, AoA; Apr. 3 - 7, 2014 POR; June 3 - 10, 2014 POR, WL; July 31 - Aug. 3, 2014 Disney Dream; Aug. 3 - 5, 2014 Poly
Bee2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
~Tonga Wingo~
A.K.A Mrs. Dale

I dine solo all the time so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for me to do it at Disney. I'm taking my first solo trip next year and dining is one of the things I'm excited about. I always have a book or two I want to try to read, but reading never works out at Disney (although I may read more while waiting in line instead of talking this time). But I can definitely read a book while eating which is what I normally do anyway when I go out. I can eat fabulously and also catch up on my reading. So if dining alone seems daunting, I say take a book or magazine or even some paper (you can outline scrapbook designs) and then you have something to do while you wait. Good luck with your trip. Coronado is on my list of possible places to stay. It looks beautiful.

WDW Commando Member #143
-----------------------------------------------
Latest Trips: June 2010 ASMo / May 2011 Pop / June 2012 Music / Oct 2013 POR

Upcoming trip!! POR - Nov 2014
~Tonga Wingo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
ariamac
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tonga Wingo~ View Post
I dine solo all the time so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for me to do it at Disney. I'm taking my first solo trip next year and dining is one of the things I'm excited about. I always have a book or two I want to try to read, but reading never works out at Disney (although I may read more while waiting in line instead of talking this time). But I can definitely read a book while eating which is what I normally do anyway when I go out. I can eat fabulously and also catch up on my reading. So if dining alone seems daunting, I say take a book or magazine or even some paper (you can outline scrapbook designs) and then you have something to do while you wait. Good luck with your trip. Coronado is on my list of possible places to stay. It looks beautiful.
Thanks so much for your suggests Tonga Wingo! I was thinking about bringing a journal... so I can track my adventure so I thought dining and writing about my day fit well together. Also love your idea about scrapbook layouts, I'm considering scrapping this trip so any ideas I have I can jot down AND.... I have the hidden mickey book which I didn't use last time I was in WDW so I'll be reading that too

Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
~Tonga Wingo~
A.K.A Mrs. Dale

Quote:
Thanks so much for your suggests Tonga Wingo! I was thinking about bringing a journal... so I can track my adventure so I thought dining and writing about my day fit well together. Also love your idea about scrapbook layouts, I'm considering scrapping this trip so any ideas I have I can jot down AND.... I have the hidden mickey book which I didn't use last time I was in WDW so I'll be reading that too
No problem at all. And just remember if you end up feeling weird, just keep in mind that it's probably only you feeling weird or out of place. No one else is probably even noticing you at all by yourself or thinking it's out of the ordinary at all. As long as you enjoy yourself, that's what matters. Have a good time!

WDW Commando Member #143
-----------------------------------------------
Latest Trips: June 2010 ASMo / May 2011 Pop / June 2012 Music / Oct 2013 POR

Upcoming trip!! POR - Nov 2014
~Tonga Wingo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congrats!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

I too am thinking of a solo trip at the end of Jan. I will be solo only for 2 days at which point DH will meet up with me. I am mental thinking of what I can do to occupy me while being solo.

I think I will grab dinner at Olivia's one night. It seems like a tame place to dine alone.

Will rent a bike and ride around the campgrounds one afternoon.

Plane to visit a few resorts - since we have already been to WDW twice in the last 12 months we will skip going to the parks.

It will seem really weird to go to sleep all alone in a hotel. But at least this is one place I feel safe being alone.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
FLDisneyCouple
Earning My Ears

Congrats on booking your trip! We are close to the parks so you want a couple to hang out with at the parks let us know!
FLDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: