DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Disneymooner07
Mouseketeer

Trying to decide how many points to buy - can you help me understand transferring?

We are looking at buying a small contract via resale. I don't really know how frequently I'll be able to convince my husband to go in the long run, so I don't want to get too many points (just yet)! But I am worried that while our girls are still young, we may want more points to rent 1BR or 2BR villas to give us more space and separate sleeping rooms for naps, early bedtimes, etc.

I read on the boards that if you have a small contract, you can transfer points via the rent/trade board if you need more points for a trip. Does that mean that I would be able to use those transferred points at my home resort at the 11-month mark? Or do the transferred points retain their original resort association? And what happens to the UY of the transferred points? For example, if I buy a small 50-point contract at BCV with March UY and I want to take a trip in September, but I figure out that even after banking and borrowing, I need 100 more points to get the room I want at BCV, what do I do?

Thank you for any help!
Disneymooner07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

The vacation points retain the Use Year and Home Resort from which they were transferred in. So unless it's BCV you would not have the advantage. At 7 months points are points.

You can bank the points after they are transferred.

If you buy at BCV and transfer in the BCV points, it has the same Home Resort advantage. The only difference would be in the Use Year. You would also specify how many points you want for the transfer.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Transfered points IMO don't work well and open up the possibility of problems. We had transfered points from one of our UYs to the other, MS lost the points and it took over a week to find them. The less that you have to depend on others means less chance for errors or mistakes.

After years of ownership I recommend only having one UY, buy where you love to stay and buy several smaller contracts.

When your needs change you can either buy a small add-on or sell a contract. We just sold 8 contracts and only have 1 left in our less preferred UY.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

The other thing to note is that after the points are transferred into your account you will not see them in your account online.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Transferring points to another member can be a great way to manage the occasion where you would need a few extra points beyond the number in your contract.

As already noted, in order to get the 11 month reservation priority, you will need to have points transferred from the resort you wish to reserve as points from other resorts won't work until 7 months. It would be a rare occasion indeed for MS to truly lose your transferred points, so don't worry about that as a real ongoing concern - it is not a regular occurence for DVC members. However, they will not be listed with your own contract points online at DVCmember.com .

If you feel you will need to depend on transfers on a regular basis, buying an add-on may be the best option.

Members can purchase up to 24 points from DVC each Use Year at $15 per point to round out your needs, but if you will need more than that regularly, an add-on may be the best option.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Another few tips on transfers: You are only allowed one transfer in or out each use year per membership. And you cannot borrow transferred points. You can bank them, though.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
Disneymooner07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
Members can purchase up to 24 points from DVC each Use Year at $15 per point to round out your needs, but if you will need more than that regularly, an add-on may be the best option.
Doc, one more question about this - is this true for all members, even those who bought through resale and regardless of the number of points you own?
Disneymooner07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: