Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Wilver
Mouseketeer

Adventures by Disney - Is it worth the price

Admittedly I have never been on an Adventures by Disney trip before, so I was shocked when I saw the price of a trip to Machu Picchu. I understand that Disney does a very good job in the hospitality business, but need some help understanding what makes Adventures by Disney worth the extra cost.
Wilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilver View Post
Admittedly I have never been on an Adventures by Disney trip before, so I was shocked when I saw the price of a trip to Machu Picchu. I understand that Disney does a very good job in the hospitality business, but need some help understanding what makes Adventures by Disney worth the extra cost.
It's kind of hard to describe. Before going on my own ABD trip, I wondered about the cost and whether it was worth it. I guess the best way I can describe it is that, if you go to WDW and never leave the site, that Disney bubble is kind of how ABD is but you are in a foreign country.

For the price, you deserve to and are getting luxury accommodations (with some exceptions, but that is a different story, http://www.disboards.com/showthread....817546&page=46). I suggest you price out the cost of the accommodations and food.

But what made the trip worth the cost for me were the tour guides, 2 from Disney and 1 local guide in each locale. At the end of the trip, the tip we left exceeded the "recommended" amount for each.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Judyat
Mouseketeer

ABD is worth the price if you can afford it. If not there are some great alternatives out there that also offer great guides and airfare at a fraction of the price. I have done many including ABD. I enjoyed all and when it came down to it depending on where you want to go you can find many trips that are wonderful. Price does not guarantee a great trip. You make the trip what you want it to be. So if you can afford ABD great. If not don't feel bad there are some great aternatives out there. I frankly like a trip that includes airfare and is reasonable. And I have found some great companies that provide that and have great guides as well. So if you want your trip with a disney twist and pixie dust and can afford it great. If not there are many great choices out there.
Judyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
sandhya
Earning My Ears

I agree and disagree with Judyat, agree, if you can afford the price this will be the best vacation you will be taking to that place, any place. Best possible guides, centrally located hotels, all 5 STAR, and best possible food and surprises galore. I disagree, because there is nothing Disney or Pixie dust about these trips except they are the best. You will never feel you are on a Disney trip. You are pampered, period. We did Viva Italia and I can't imagine doing it any other way.
sandhya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

As my DH likes to say, our ABD trips are expensive and worth every penny!
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEB
As my DH likes to say, our ABD trips are expensive and worth every penny!
After our trip this past May, we totally agree! Can't wait to pick next summer's ABD trip! :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
huntergreen10
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhya View Post
I agree and disagree with Judyat, agree, if you can afford the price this will be the best vacation you will be taking to that place, any place. Best possible guides, centrally located hotels, all 5 STAR, and best possible food and surprises galore. I disagree, because there is nothing Disney or Pixie dust about these trips except they are the best. You will never feel you are on a Disney trip. You are pampered, period. We did Viva Italia and I can't imagine doing it any other way.
So, other than the excellent service that Disney provides, I won't feel any other Disney elements on an ABD trip? Even though I am in a foreign country, I would still like to feel that Mickey is with me from time to time.

Past Disney Trips:
Oct 2008- Grand Floridian; June 2011- Grand Floridian
Dec 2012- Contemporary Resort; Jan 2013- DCL Wonder- Royal Suite
Aug 2013- All-Star Music; Dec 2013- Grand Floridian
Jan 2014- DCL Fantasy- Royal Suite
Apr 2014- AK Kidani Village
huntergreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen10 View Post
So, other than the excellent service that Disney provides, I won't feel any other Disney elements on an ABD trip? Even though I am in a foreign country, I would still like to feel that Mickey is with me from time to time.
Each day of an ABD has a theme, and you will get a special Disney pin that matches each day's theme (only available on that particular ABD). That and the "Adventures by Disney" sign you follow (and the Guides' name tags) are really the only physical Disney touches.

Oh, and on occasion (like on long bus rides) they may show Disney movies...

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen10 View Post

I would add that there is some sort of Disney magic, in the sense that most guests are Disney fans. We found that it brings a common thread to some conversations and activities.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyat View Post
ABD is worth the price if you can afford it. If not there are some great alternatives out there that also offer great guides and airfare at a fraction of the price. I have done many including ABD. I enjoyed all and when it came down to it depending on where you want to go you can find many trips that are wonderful. Price does not guarantee a great trip. You make the trip what you want it to be. So if you can afford ABD great. If not don't feel bad there are some great aternatives out there. I frankly like a trip that includes airfare and is reasonable. And I have found some great companies that provide that and have great guides as well. So if you want your trip with a disney twist and pixie dust and can afford it great. If not there are many great choices out there.
Perfectly said.. Too many times people feel like they can't get a great vacation unless they go 'full' Disney. I get so annoyed when people on here tell others tat they should not go to WDW unless they stay on-site.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Familygoboston: you said it PERFECTLY!!!

I still can't get over how much I enjoyed this trip after being worried about going to Europe. I can be a " Nervous Nellie" when I travel, especially when I am not in "total control". Our ABD guides Frankie and Francesc were angels! They made the trip a magical experience for all of us on the tour.

My daughter said it perfectly.... During some "on your own time" in London, even with perfect directions from Francesc, I got us lost for an hour. (Oops!).
DD said, " Thank goodness we booked the ABD tour, or this would have been how we spent the entire week in London & Paris...wandering aimlessly with an upside down map! ". LOLOLOL

Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

familygoboston, that's just perfect! I think from now on, I may just link to your post when folks ask "Is it worth it?" In fact, I wonder if I can make your post a sticky without removing it from this thread... Research time!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello
familygoboston, that's just perfect! I think from now on, I may just link to your post when folks ask "Is it worth it?" In fact, I wonder if I can make your post a sticky without removing it from this thread... Research time!

Sayhello
Great idea, Sayhello! :-)

Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
Familygoboston: you said it PERFECTLY!!!

I still can't get over how much I enjoyed this trip after being worried about going to Europe. I can be a " Nervous Nellie" when I travel, especially when I am not in "total control". Our ABD guides Frankie and Francesc were angels! They made the trip a magical experience for all of us on the tour.

My daughter said it perfectly.... During some "on your own time" in London, even with perfect directions from Francesc, I got us lost for an hour. (Oops!).
DD said, " Thank goodness we booked the ABD tour, or this would have been how we spent the entire week in London & Paris...wandering aimlessly with an upside down map! ". LOLOLOL

This is exactly what i think whenever I have a good guide; that and we'd be fighting about where we should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

Sayhello
I'd be honored! It comes from the heart!! I do see these "value" threads every so often and it's a valid question...we only considered our first ABD because we had a "kids travel free" deal; but after that first trip, we did see the value.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
kristilew
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=familygoboston;46796437]This is exactly what i think whenever I have a good guide; that and we'd be fighting about where we should be

This is what happens to us....we make a plan, but always things end up taking longer or are harder to find than we think. So we end up looking for food about an hour too late, or we end up backtracking when we're already tired... and someone is always feeling snippy and defensive. We end up squabbling on vacation more than we ever do at home!

I love that with ABD, someone has all that stuff figured out. Food is put in front of you exactly when you are hungry. The best ways to get around are already known, and no one in my group is responsible for anything but having a good time. Worth every penny!
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: