Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Spinning
Give me a chunk of something and hot glue/no sew glue and I "create"
The Tag Fairy loves the dog costume I made! Do you do one with wing holes?
Needs tiny bandaids for holes in fingers

By mistake I bought butter made with olive oil and sea salt

I was going to return it right after I put away the food. But then got busy. Now I feel it is too late. Bought it on Friday. If it wasn't butter sticks and something in a sealed container I would.
I bought the butter for baking. Do you think it would still be ok in pie crust or cookies? I usually buy salted butter. We could use it for toast and cooking. But I have 8 sticks.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning View Post
I was going to return it right after I put away the food. But then got busy. Now I feel it is too late. Bought it on Friday. If it wasn't butter sticks and something in a sealed container I would.
I bought the butter for baking. Do you think it would still be ok in pie crust or cookies? I usually buy salted butter. We could use it for toast and cooking. But I have 8 sticks.
I've never heard of it. I wouldn't use it for pie crust or sweet baking -- I would think that the olive oil would have too strong a flavor. Could you use it for a pot pie or something savory (biscuit, etc.), or for sauteeing veggies?

You can freeze it for later, and then get the regular butter for your baking.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
VickiV
DIS Veteran

Just letting you know that if you return the butter, the store will likely get rid of it. Many stores defect food and some health and beauty products that get returned whether it's been opened or not. Also, where I work, if you were to bring a refrigerated/frozen product up to check out, and decide you didn't want it, we would not restock it. It would get thrown away. You may be thinking that it's ridiculous. However, there are many reasons for it. Among them are not knowing how long a customer has had something out of a refrigerater/freezer and potential tampering. At my store, we would accept the return from you, but we would then throw it away. I would not be allowed to tell you all of this at work either. I work at a major retailer. My sister works at a different major retailer. Both have similar policies.

On the other hand, I would not use it for anything sweet either. However, I would probably use it spread on regular bread. You can use it for any vegetable or meat cooking. If you would use olive oil in something, you can probably use the butter.
VickiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
DeborahA
DIS Veteran

I have bought this kind of butter before--"on purpose"
Taste it--it is really very good and I don't think you will notice a huge difference, the olive oil is not strong at all, not like evoo taste.
I freeze my butter, when I buy a lot of it to keep it fresh. If you don't like the flavor enough to use it up right away, pop it in the freezer.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I can't help but think that butter would taste really good on fresh bread.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

An update -- I just did the same thing -- accidentally bought the olive oil and sea salt butter (4 pounds' worth)....Grr.

I was knee deep in making caramel corn for church, so I went ahead and used it. It worked out really well, and there was no olive oil flavor.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: