Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
danda22
Earning My Ears

Question need creative ideas for telling kids we are going to WDW

We will be going to WDW the first week of June 2013 for our first time. It is our first big vacation. We have talked about it and the kids think it may be in our future as we tell them we are saving money for it. We have booked our resort and are set on the time and now we would just like to tell them. I was thinking of telling them on Christmas. They are 9 & 10. Only thing I could come up with was letting them open the plane ticket or event ticket.... want something a little more creative I think. welcome to ideas!!
danda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
jcof616
Earning My Ears

When I took my nieces and nephews we let them know on Christmas with a call from Mickey Mouse. It was funny because when my sister handed the phone to them instead of hitting the speaker, she hung up on him. Of course being the great mouse he is he called back.
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
gelebean2
Earning My Ears

Mayb make a scavenger hunt game with clues they need to solve the clues to find that last christmas present(s) n let them find airline tickets, pass, brochure whatever all in a box. Mayb mickey stuffies for each.
gelebean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
welshybird82
Earning My Ears

Maybe get a big box with their names on with a helium balloon of Mickey Mouse in with the words were going to Disney world on, it will float up out of the box when they open it xx
welshybird82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
myzel
Mouseketeer

What we did was make a sort of scrap book with Disney pictures, add copies of your reservation/ plane tickets/ what ever you want. Just make sure you have your camera ready, it takes a couple seconds for them to understand what it all means.
myzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
micahwumbo
Earning My Ears

Dang, telling them early will be torture! I know it's torture waiting for my Disneyland tickets to come!
micahwumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
djblu883
DIS Veteran

If you want to surprise them wait til much closer to time. For a child that wait may as well be years!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
jnhjlh
Earning My Ears

hello

we are going in Feb and it will be a xmas gift to my 11 & 14 yr old.
We are making them do a scavenger hunt around the house for disney items lastly they will find a key to a suitcase that will contain a ticket to disneyland. that is how we announcing our trip
jnhjlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhjlh View Post
we are going in Feb and it will be a xmas gift to my 11 & 14 yr old.
We are making them do a scavenger hunt around the house for disney items lastly they will find a key to a suitcase that will contain a ticket to disneyland. that is how we announcing our trip
Love this idea as well
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
serene56
DIS Veteran

i let my grand daughter help me plan without telling her we were going.
but we always read books about disney and talk about the rides.
we watch youtube for attractions and shows.

we often talk about what she would like and not like.
we look at food pictures and i read menus to her.

she found out she was going when we were waiting for the magical express.
watching the video i think she did not believe us until we were getting on that bus.

after the trip i asked her was it better to be surprised or would she preferred to know so she can help plan.

she said she wanted to be surprised.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Axel
Introduce a Little Anarchy. 1979-2008
Pi a la ModeJack, I swear…

We're taking one of my younger cousins and my nephew with us on our next trip in January and while he knew he was going, she didn't until we told her at her birthday in October.

My parents had agreed with her parents that the trip would be her birthday present, but unfortunately my parents were unable to attend the party (why? They were enjoying their fall getaway to the World! ).

What I did instead was make a card for her on the front which said (Front): "Aunt ---- and Uncle ---- wish they could be here to celebrate with you, but they're attending to some very important business...", (Inside on left): "things you'll need to help them out: *insert standard packing list of clothes and toiletries* followed by 'a spoonful of sugar, your imagination, a handful of faith, a dash of trust, and one more thing... what was it... OH! PIXIE DUST!" (Inside on right): "Mickey can't wait to see you in January!"

Her scream was SO. LOUD. We got it on video, thankfully, so my parents could watch it when they got back from the parks at the end of the day. Everybody was in on it, all of our other aunts/uncles, my older sister and nephew, our grandmother (who gave her spending money for the trip which my cousin just thought was a rather generous birthday gift ), even her teacher at school!

For Christmas, she and my nephew are getting pressed penny books with a roll of quarters and a roll of pennies.
September 1996::WDW 25th Anniversary::Fort Wilderness\\October 1999::Millenium Celebration::FW\\November 2001::WDW 30th Anniversary and 100 Years of Magic::FW\\December 2004::Purchased DVC::FW\\ November 2005::WDL 50th Anniversary::Saratoga Springs Resort\\December 2006::Year of a Million Dreams::SSR\\August 2007::Pirate and Princess Party::Boardwalk\\November 2007::YoaMD::SSR\\February 2008::with Lissy::Villas at the Wilderness Lodge\\August 2008::with Nora::Old Key West\\December 2008::with Shianna::SSR\\February 2009::What Will You Celebrate?::Beach Club Villas\\January 2010::Un-Birthday:::Animal Kingdom Lodge\\May 2010::Dad's 65th/With Molly::OKW\\January 2011::Un-Birthday::Bay Lake Tower\May 2011::With Nora::BCV\\May 2012::One More Disney Day::OKW\\January 2013::Damon's First Trip::OKW\\March 2013::Spring Break with Sarah::OKW\\May 2013::College Grad!::VWL\\July 2014::ACTUAL BIRTHDAY TRIP!!!::Villas at the Grand Floridian\\October 2014::Food and Wine Festival::OKW\\December 2014::Christmas with Dan and LouAnn::OKW\

You must always remember to smile.

restaurants eaten at: 143/251
my blog
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
rebeccalb10
Mouseketeer

You may want to save this for Easter. Also see if you can get park maps and let them create a tour plan after you tell them.
rebeccalb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
disneyjes
Earning My Ears

I love the idea of a scavenger hunt! Super cute.

We're thinking of telling our son while he's playing the Disneyland kinect game. Not sure yet how we'd do it though! We were going to wait until the day we are leaving but we really want him to be part of the planning process too since I find that to be just as fun as going on vacation.

Good luck! <3

disneyjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Males1011
Earning My Ears

Don't tell them.

Imagine their reaction when they're getting ready to board a plane, being shuttled around, and ending up in WDW. I think that would be pretty priceless.

Jonathan (29)~! Cheryl (DGF24)
Males1011 is offline   Reply With Quote