Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

"Don't Forget to Say Thank You for the Beach!" HHI October 2012--Final Updates 11/18!

Welcome to my trip report from our trip to Disneys Hilton Head Resort! When we were planning this trip, I couldnt find a lot of trip reports on this resort, so I thought I would share ours!

We were there October 5-12, 2012, and it was WONDERFUL! If you've ever considered going, I hope you will follow along with us on our adventure, and we'll talk you into trying it!

Chapter Links:

Intro
Planning the Beach Trip!
Getting Ready to Go!
On The Road to Hilton Head!
We're At The Disney Resort!
Lunch at the Resort!
Dalton Meets The Beach!
A Great Breakfast and A Visit to HarborTown!
Checking Out The Pool and Dinner!
A Night At The Beach!
Starting The Day Off At The Beach!
More Beach House & Lunch At Signals!
Meeting Shadow, Exploring the Pier, and Dinner at Kingfisher!
Monday in HarborTown!
A Chilly Tuesday!
The Start to A Wonderful Wednesday!
Lunching Again At the Salty Dog!
No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems!!--Wednesday Afternoon at the Beach!
Dinner on the Deck & Exploring the Resort!
Last Day At The Beach!
Last Night Out!
It's Early. . .Can't We Just Stay Another Week? Leaving Out!

Last edited by StitchIsOurHero; 11-18-2012 at 06:22 AM.
StitchIsOurHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
StitchIsOurHero

Intro:

A little about our cast of characters:

This is me:

I’m Brooke, and I’m 36 years old. I am a high school guidance counselor, and I love my job! I LOVE LOVE LOVE all things Disney! I am one of those people who is usually in a constant trip-planning state. I am the planner of our family—I love ADRs, park hours, spreadsheets, and all of that good stuff!

This is my wonderful husband:

He’s Brian, and he’s 39 years old (yep, my next pre-trip report will be for his BIG birthday!!). He works in banking, and I really don’t have the first clue what he does. At least I’m honest about that, I guess! He LOVES all things Disney, too! We will have been married for 13 years this December, and we are definitely a team—if we’re not at work, we’re usually always together. We’re a dorky little couple like that!

We are both born and raised East Tennesseeans with the accent to prove it! I am a small-town girl, and we met at The University of Tennessee (GO VOLS!!). I love East Tennessee, and I can’t imagine living anywhere else!

Last, but most important, is DS:

This is Dalton—usually known as D. He is four, and he is the light of our lives! He is ALL about Disney, too! He took his first trip to WDW when he was 14 months, and he’s been in love with it since then!

These pictures of us are all from our June 2012 trip to WDW. At that time, D was all about the “cheesy” face. . .just in case you think I only take pics of him with his eyes closed! :rofl: He has since stopped making the cheesy face, which sort of made me sad, but at least he looks like he has actual eyes now!

My parents also were in Hilton Head at the same time we were, but they didn’t stay with us. More about that later!

We are all 3 big Stitch fans!! If you’ve read my other trip report (in my siggie), you know that Stitch is sort of our family mascot! The year that “Lilo & Stitch” came out, we had a miscarriage. The part where Stitch says, “This is my family. I found it all by myself. It’s little and it’s broken, but it’s still good” was sort of a little mantra for us at that time, since we were unsure that we would ever be able to have kids. Since then, we love all things Lilo & Stitch!

A few years after that, we went to WDW with some friends who were DVC members (we were not). We stayed at Beach Club in a 2BR villa and fell in love. After that trip, I convinced Brian that we should buy in to DVC. We bought points at SSR in June 2006, and a small add-on at AKV in February 2007.

Wouldn’t you know it? In November 2007, I found out I was pregnant, and D was born in August 2008! Funny how the pixie dust works like that!

Ok, I know that was a lot of wordiness, and I promise the other posts will have pictures! I hope I haven’t bored you to tears! Thank you again for joining us!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

Woohoo! I'm the first one here!!!
Now back to read!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

Love the intro....Can't wait to read more!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
StitchIsOurHero

Love it!! Thanks for reading along, Nan! Another update coming!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
StitchIsOurHero

Here’s how this trip came about:

In September, we started talking about wanting to go somewhere for Fall Break. We don’t usually do that, but Brian had gotten a bonus at work, and we thought that would be fun to use for a getaway!

I started looking at WDW during the Free Dining time, but we couldn’t stay the right number of nights, and they didn’t really have a place we wanted to stay. We had already used our points in June 2012, so we weren’t looking for a DVC stay, and the cash price for a Deluxe room was over my planned budget for this trip.

One day, I was looking at Expedia and I decided to price the Hilton Head resort. Now, I have never had any desire to do a beach trip (I would MUCH rather go to WDW!), but it was within our budget. Add to that the fact that D had never seen the ocean or the beach, and I was pretty much sold!

Brian was excited too! He was ready to try a non-WDW trip, but he was like me—we wanted the Disney service and themeing! One Sunday, he called Member Services and asked what the cash price was for the Hilton Head resort. When she told him we would get a discount (I don’t know how I didn’t know that—Bad Dis’er!!) we were definitely set!

Now, I did have a day when I waffled and thought that D would like WDW better. I actually called, switched it to WDW, and then called 30 minutes later and changed it back. They thought I was crazy that day! (who knows. . .that might not be too far off!) After all of my changes, though, we ended up with a 2-Bedroom Villa at Hilton Head!

So finally, it was all set, and we were ready to countdown! Look out, Hilton Head, here come the Stitchs!!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

Enjoying your report. This is the exact week we plan on visiting next year. How was the weather, and how crowded was the resort?

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
StitchIsOurHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelty View Post
Enjoying your report. This is the exact week we plan on visiting next year. How was the weather, and how crowded was the resort?
Thanks for reading along!! We had pretty good weather overall. It was chilly two days and also rained some on one of those, but the other days were great! The resort didn't seem crowded at all! There was never anyone at the beach house when we were there, and the resort pool was only busy (but not overly crowded) one day!

If you go that week in 2013, we will probably see you there!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
StitchIsOurHero

After a nap, we were ready to go out for the evening. I had seen on the Activities list that Shadow was out that afternoon, and I knew we would want to meet her. We got ready quickly, and set out for our evening!

We went to see Shadow first. D is allergic to dogs (if he has a lot of physical contact), so he didn’t actually pet her. I petted her for him with D saying, “pet her again, Mommy! Pet her again!” Then we sat him down to take pics. He enjoyed talking to her and to B’lou Crabbe (the guy with her). That is the most well-trained, well-behaved dog I’ve ever seen! She was beautiful!

After their visit was done, B’lou gave D a postcard from Shadow! He told D that Shadow COULD write, but she couldn’t spell, so he had to write for her! D thought that was so cool!

I wanted to take some pics around the resort, so I knew I’d need to bribe D (and Brian) to get them to do that before dinner! No problem! We went through the Main Lobby area, and as they do every afternoon, they had fresh cookies and lemonade! Once D figured this out, we had to go every afternoon!

D enjoying his cookie on the boardwalk:

The sugar rush helped my guys be ready for some picture-taking!

Looking back toward our room from the boardwalk:

Hidden Mickey:

I loved this DVC sign. . .how far are we from the different resorts??

D enjoyed running up and down the pier:

I thought the pier was beautiful. I was a little skeptical before this trip of whether I would like the marsh, but I loved everything about this area!

A little more “real”:

I love this one, too:

At this point, they were finally over my picture-taking, so we decided to go to dinner!

We were planning to go to Kingfisher, which is also in Shelter Cove, so we could walk. What I didn’t count on, though, was that they didn’t open until 5. It was about 4:30 by that point, so we decided to check out the stores in Shelter Cove.

D was fascinated by the map of the area, so he spent a lot of time showing me where we were on the map and where all we could go!

We played around there for a while, and then went to the restaurant. When you check in at the resort, they give you a list of restaurants that offer a discount to people staying at the Disney Resort. This restaurant was on there. That’s not why I picked it—we had heard it was good—but the discount wasn’t a bad plan either!

This was the restaurant that I was not thrilled with. Our food was just *fine*. Not bad, not good. Our waiter was not happy to be there, and he was very robotic. They also had a guy who came around and did little magic tricks and told jokes. That was ok, too, but it was all a little much.

When the waiter brought the bill, he hadn’t taken off the discount. I asked him if we still got the discount (I thought maybe the sheet was wrong). He said he would take off the 10%, and then he was gone forever. When he came back, he had taken $1 off of the bill. Now, I am not a math genius, but I’m thinking that was a little on the low side.

By that point, though, it was raining very hard, and I was just ready to get out of there. Brian actually ran back to the resort and got the car so D & I wouldn’t have to run back in the rain!

We came back in and relaxed for the rest of the night! Kingfisher wasn’t BAD, but I don’t think we would go back. We ended up having a good night, though!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report on the fabulous HHI. We have so fallen in love with it that it is now our all time favorite resort. We went down for a day and a half at the end of last week for our anniversary. It was nice but we didn't spend much time at resort like we have before. I really wanted to get out and explore the whole island. We still love it!! Did you happen to go to Roastfish and Cornbread? We went friday night and it was fabulous! My DH said they have the best fish tacos EVER. It will definetely be one we take our kids back to.

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
StitchIsOurHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks "SS" View Post
Loving your trip report on the fabulous HHI. We have so fallen in love with it that it is now our all time favorite resort. We went down for a day and a half at the end of last week for our anniversary. It was nice but we didn't spend much time at resort like we have before. I really wanted to get out and explore the whole island. We still love it!! Did you happen to go to Roastfish and Cornbread? We went friday night and it was fabulous! My DH said they have the best fish tacos EVER. It will definetely be one we take our kids back to.
Thanks for reading along!! I'm so glad someone else is in love that with that resort, too! We didn't try Roastfish and Cornbread this time, but I really want to! I didn't do a good job planning our meals this time because I wasn't really sure of anything in the area, but I am already compiling a list for 2013!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
StitchIsOurHero

Just a couple of last day pics (remember, these are at 3 am):

D had to go say “bye” to the marsh:

Sad face pics (please ignore the scary, no makeup face):

I cannot convey how much we loved this resort and everything about it! There were lots of activities, and we really didn’t take part in everything the resort had to offer—we were too busy soaking in the relaxation and letting D enjoy it all!

Next time, there are several other restaurants I want to check out, and he’ll be old enough for some of the craft activities.

I had read on the DIS before we went where someone said this was “more like an old-fashioned family vacation”, and for us, that was EXACTLY what it was. I felt like we connected more on this trip, just relaxing together.

Did I like it MORE than WDW? No. I love the compulsive planning, ADRs, hustle-and-bustle, and magic of WDW. But given that it is a completely different type of vacation, I liked it in its own way just as much. I always try to con Brian into 2 WDW trips per year (one on fall break, one on spring break), and I am more than willing to switch one of those weeks to HHI now!

I hope this report helped convince you that it’s definitely worth it! Thanks for reading along and helping me re-enjoy our trip!

I will be starting our Pre-Trip Report for our March 2013 WDW/Cruise Birthday Bash Trip soon (probably over Thanksgiving Break!). I will post a link here, if you would like to read along with us!

Have a Disney Day, everyone!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
StitchIsOurHero

Duplicate post

Last edited by StitchIsOurHero; 11-21-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
chum
Your island buddy!

Thanks for the trip report. Some great photos in there. Next time you visit, do a dolphin cruise. It gives you such a different perspective of where you are while out on the water. The dolphin are always around and many times will come so close you can touch them.
chum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
peekies722
Mouseketeer

ahhhh Hilton Head....

What a great trip report! Thanks for all your time in posting and sharing some special looking memories. We were there in October as well, the 21st-28th. It was such a great time to visit.

We too, LOVED the resort, everything about it. We liked the theme, we loved the marsh smell, the location was great, but what really made this resort special for us were the Cast Members, they were so lovely. Tiana, Genevieve, Will, Mike, "Boo" and TJ, were all just awesome people. How some of them have the energy to do the campfire a couple times a week, or Goofy bingo is beyond me. I cannot say enough good things about them!

We did every activity with the resort's naturalist, TJ, and we loved the job he did. He was the best, my kids(ages 8,10,12) learned a lot while having a good time, all because he was a great teacher. We didn't have too many other children in those kinds of activities, perhaps because some families might shy away thinking it would be a little too boring, but no way, this was Disney, it was fun mixed with learning. I hope you got a chance to check him out and I hope other people will give those kinds of activities a shot.

Glad to hear someone else had as great of a time as we did, it certainly is a magical place. Your pictures were also a lot of fun for me to look at and say" oh hey, that's were we stayed" & "Oh, I miss walking on the boardwalk to get to the Lodge, and grab a cookie".

Can't wait to go back! We were thinking of going back in October again next year, maybe we'll see you around the campfire
peekies722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: