DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
karebear06
DIS Veteran

How many people buy resale?

How many people do you think own resale vs direct through disney? We are here now and wanted to see the model rooms to aulani. I thought the model rooms were open for members during certain times (at least they were in the past). Well instead we had someone take us to look at them. He was our new guide since our old guide had not contacted us since 2009. He was telling us everything about us as well as when we bought resale and for how much. He then said not to be embarrassed about buying resale. So that makes me wonder. How many people do you think buy resale vs direct? Do they always look you up to see if you bought direct? Are resale dvc members treated differently? Our new guide is super nice, and I really wanted to add on points, but I can't justify paying $40 more a point buying direct. We might wait and see what incentives they have through VGFR.
karebear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

We bought resale and I can't really understand why anyone would buy directly from Disney. I bought at BWV for about half the price of Disney's original asking price. I know we can't apply our points to crusies, Adventures, etc., but everyone says to not use points on those anyway. I can't say we've ever been treated differently by Disney -- in fact any of the salesmen we've run across (in parks, resorts) have commented that we did the right thing.
We don't have a guide and honestly, I don't know what they're supposed to do for a member. Sell you more points? I basically do everything online and if I have any questions, I call MS.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Sometimes direct makes sense, but not usually.

I bought direct 2 1/2 years ago and heres why:
I wanted BLT and resale prices were only $15 or so below direct prices
BLT contracts had a 160 point minimum at first, but i wanted around 100. They lowered the minimum direct, but you couldnt find a 100 point blt resale
We made the decision to buy dvc after committing to a vacation, so we didnt have time to go through the resale process or else we would have dropped 3K on a hotel on that trip. We wanted that 3K to go towards our dvc principle.

In todays market though, unless you want to hold out for grand floridian, i would imagine resale would almost certainly be the way to go.
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amypetecar View Post
Sometimes direct makes sense, but not usually.

I bought direct 2 1/2 years ago and heres why:
I wanted BLT and resale prices were only $15 or so below direct prices
BLT contracts had a 160 point minimum at first, but i wanted around 100. They lowered the minimum direct, but you couldnt find a 100 point blt resale
We made the decision to buy dvc after committing to a vacation, so we didnt have time to go through the resale process or else we would have dropped 3K on a hotel on that trip. We wanted that 3K to go towards our dvc principle.

In todays market though, unless you want to hold out for grand floridian, i would imagine resale would almost certainly be the way to go.
I think this post illustrates a great point that isn't talked about very much on here. Up until recently, the gap between direct and resale was not that large, thus making the resale/direct decision a lot more difficult. However, with the steady decline in resale prices and the enormous increases in direct prices, the decision (for many) has become a lot clearer. Buying direct a few years ago was not the same purchase as buying direct now. I think it is important to remember that and for the direct buyers of years past to consider this when people today talk about the reasons why they would not buy direct. Those discussions pertain to direct purchases in today's market, and not your direct purchase of 2+ years ago. Maybe considering this could spare some hurt feelings in the great debate.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I think this post illustrates a great point that isn't talked about very much on here. Up until recently, the gap between direct and resale was not that large, thus making the resale/direct decision a lot more difficult. However, with the steady decline in resale prices and the enormous increases in direct prices, the decision (for many) has become a lot clearer. Buying direct a few years ago was not the same purchase as buying direct now. I think it is important to remember that and for the direct buyers of years past to consider this when people today talk about the reasons why they would not buy direct. Those discussions pertain to direct purchases in today's market, and not your direct purchase of 2+ years ago. Maybe considering this could spare some hurt feelings in the great debate.
Good point. It's only been in the last couple of years that the spread between direct and resale costs has become so large.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG

Good point. It's only been in the last couple of years that the spread between direct and resale costs has become so large.
Indeed. When I first went to a DVC presentation, in 2007, I think, one of things they commented on was how well DVC had (up until that point) held it's value, that resale prices were not so very far from from direct pricing. Early buyers, often enough made money when they sold their DVC contracts. How times change, eh?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
Indeed. When I first went to a DVC presentation, in 2007, I think, one of things they commented on was how well DVC had (up until that point) held it's value, that resale prices were not so very far from from direct pricing. Early buyers, often enough made money when they sold their DVC contracts. How times change, eh?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.
I still believe that Disney is shooting itself in the foot with resale restrictions.

It seems that more people bought direct before the resale restrictions came into play and lowered the value of resales. I believe that more people would prefer to buy from Disney if the price discrepancy were not so great. I know I would prefer to deal directly with Disney for a reasonable price difference. It would also be nice to know that my "investment" would not be worth half the minute I signed on the dotted line. It is nice to know that there is a reasonable after market for your contract. Right now, it is only reasonable if you buy resale!!!
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by karebear06 View Post
How many people do you think own resale vs direct through disney?
probably most people are resale buyers. disney has to sell all the pts directly the first time. after that, they pick up inventory from ROFR and foreclosures to resell as direct pts...but aside from a handful of BCV owners who accepted a lowball offer from DVC a few years ago, most of the time when an owner decides to sell they do so through resale channels.

the only time i talked to a guide, they didn't realize i was a resale buyer (i guess they didn't track it at that point). i doubt they would treat you differently (except if you tried to book a cruise or disney collection hotel).

since disney decided to get more adversarial with owners with the new resale rules, i have a difficult time recommending buying direct...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Chic
DIS Veteran

I purchased my first DVC contract direct while taking a Disney Cruise. The remaining 4 contracts I purchased were all resale. Why did I purchase my first contract direct? Because I didn't know resales existed! I also bought all of my resales before Disney added the restrictions so I was Grandfathered in and have full benefits. How would I buy now? I would absolutely buy resale. The few restrictions in place now are not a good value for points anyway when you compare points versus maintenance fees costs for what you get. Simply stated, you would spend less in cash as opposed to the number of points required for the other vacation options. It's always a much better value to use your points to stay at a DVC Resort. That's okay with me because we bought so we could stay on property in Deluxe accommodations when visiting the Disney Parks.
Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Op, I think it is great that you have a nice guide. We do too. We have our contracts direct with the exception of one. Our biggest regret is not buying VGC direct when we had the opportunity. Now the direct waitlist is very long and there is a very big demand as well resale. And getting a reservation is very difficult.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

IMO there are more direct buyers than resale. According to Disney sources, half of the direct buyers are new owners and the other half add-ons with the direct buyers buying the larger contracts of course. So far in 2012 Disney has sold more than 15,000 contracts.

Most people who buy are impulse buyers and they never visit the internet to even learn about resales and Disney Guides don't volunteer the information. They are ready with several reasons why buying direct is better than resale including the March restrictions, the delays in closing a resale contract, (now almost 70 days), and the discounts and marketing perks of buying direct. (note that Disney created all of the reasons against buying resale).

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
mikron
Donald Pin Collector

We own 5 memberships through Disney and 2 on resale. Only reason we bought 5 from Disney was the price. With all discounts for SSR under construction points were as cheap as resales at other resorts.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Disjunky
New DVC Junkie

What is the best resale place. Safety wise and trustworthy.
DVC member

August 2001, August 2002, September 2003, August 2004, September 2005, August 2007, September 2008, January 2010, December 2011, October 2012
Disjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
jocin3
Mouseketeer

We purchased our first contract through The Timeshare Store (see banner at top of this page) last year-smooth transaction and we were very pleased.

We are now in the process of purchasing our second contract through them as well and are awaiting ROFR. I would highly recommend them, not just from my experience but also from others I have read on this board.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disjunky
What is the best resale place. Safety wise and trustworthy.
Any of the four major brokers are reputable, or else they would not be the four major brokers. The Internet has reduced the opportunity for businesses with national reach such as these to be scams. You do see the occasional post about a scam from some company that no one has ever heard of, but not from any of the main companies.

As to price, some have commented on these boards that TTS discourages lower offers more aggressively than the others. But I have no personal experience there, just echoing what others have reported. But certainly most of their customers seem very happy with their service level as you work through closing.

And remember the brokers are just that- they will suggest prices to the sellers, but you will see crazy stuff both on the high side and the low side of pricing. Be sure to understand that the listing price on brokers websites is asking price, just like when buying a house it is flexible in most cases. Depends on what the individual sellers bottom line is. Some have loans that they must pay off, this is probably the reason you see individual contract prices on some broker websites that are ridiculously over market price, as reflected by other same resort/same size contract listings.

I'd suggest you first figure out what resort you want for home. Then figure out how many points you need based on expected average usage. Then add a small cushion, 5-10% for possible reallocations. Only THEN should you look at the websites from ALL major resale brokers and find what fits your needs. Don't let the brokerage name sway you toward or away from the contract that is right for you.

Last edited by Msmithmd; 10-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: