Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Does This Ride Go Upside Down? Sloshing Thru Hurricane Isaac - Pop Century Aug 2012

Hi!! And welcome to my first Trip Report on the Dis Boards. I'm so glad that you clicked on this post and I hope that you decide to stick around for the journey. I took 599 photos on this vacation, and it’s a lot to sort through. I’ll try to post as many as I can for sure… and let you know how we toured and planned and made it from rope drop to park closing every day for 6 days… PSHEW!!!

If you would LIKE to read more about how this trip came about and all of the obsessive and crazy pre trip planning... feel free to read my Pre Trip Report which is in my signature I’m one of those annoying over thinkers and WAY over planners, but sometimes I do have some good ideas and we did not forget to pack ANYTHING because of all of my lists everywhere… Oye.
There are a lot... and I mean a LOT of 'firsts' on this trip for my family and it was just such an awesomely (is that a word???) amazing and fantabulous vacation that we are already planning our next trip for June 2013 for 8 nights at CSR

Well I guess I'll get started.................. so I’ve always heard that the best place to start a story is always at the beginning... right? In that case, I suppose I better introduce ourselves to you (in case you havn't read our pre trip report ) and tell you a bit about our trip.

The important stuff:
When?? August 25-30, 2012
Where?? Pop Century with Disney Dining
Who? Myself, my husband, my 2 sons, and my father & stepmother
Why? Uhhhhhh…. Because WE LOVE WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!! xoxo

This is my family. We like photos. .... and we apparantly like to match our outfits

I'm on the left I normally am the vacation photographer so there are rarely any photos of me by myself. Ever.

Aimee: This is me. I've been to WDW many times and I'm quite obsessed with all things Disney. My dad took my brother and I on our first trip to WDW during Christmas Week when I was 9 yrs old and we instantly fell in love with the entire place, even though back then it was only Magic Kingdom and Epcot I've been so dang lucky to go back many times since that first magical trip I love love LOVE Disney Food!! I love Classic Disney Rides!! I love Disney clothing!! I love Disney busses, monorails, the smell of Pirates of the Caribbean, and I love watching Tinkerbell fly out of Cinderellas Castle at night. I totally want to retire and get a job in Magic Kingdom greeting smiling faces every day for the rest of my life... that would be AH-MAZ-ING !! I’m currently in Sales and Marketing for a Major Furniture Manufacturer and have worked in their corporate offices for 12 years.

Favorite WDW Park: Epcot
Favorite MK Ride: Space Mountain
Favorite Epcot Ride: Spaceship Earth
Favorite HS Ride: Rock N Roller Coaster
Favorite AK Ride: Expedition Everest
Favorite World Showcase Country: Morocco
Favorite WDW Character: Pluto
Favorite WDW Nighttime Show: Fantasmic
Favorite WDW Show: Beauty and the Beast
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Wolfgang Pucks (The Dining Room Upstairs)
Favorite WDW Snack: Popcorn on Main Street
Favorite Disney Movie: Pocahontas

Kevin: My husband of 2 years and this was his FIRST TRIP EVER EVER EVER to Walt Disney World!!!! Can you believe it? More on that later and his reactions or lack of reactions to experiencing WDW shows and rides for the first time. Oh… by the way….a sidebar just to let everyone know that….. Today is actually our 2 year anniversary!! …..and I am sitting here on my laptop typing a Walt Disney World Trip Report hahaaaa. We did go out to dinner tonight already … so I’m excused. Kevin agreed to go on this trip without having previously watched barely any Disney movies (GASP!!!). My kids and I for 5 months prior to the trip had Disney Movie Nights until we watched every single Animated (and some non animated) Disney Movie to catch Kevin up to speed so that he would know what was going on while we were on rides, parades, nighttime shows, etc… I am pretty sure that he liked most of them actually because I saw him laughing in all of the right places. We also submerged him into the Disney Music CDs every single time we were in the car together…. I know our belting out “A Whoooooooooooooooooole Neeeeeeeeeeeeew Wooooooooooooooooooooorld” and “Hakunaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Matadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa What a Wooooonderful Phraaaaaaaaaaaaaase….” Over and over and over again was slowly sinking into his head because over the months leading up to our vacation I caught him singing along. Kevin is the Extension Agent, the Agricultural Agent, and 4-H Agent for our city so I kept telling him how much he was going to LOVE The Land in Epcot to keep him interested and not try to back out of the vacation. How do you even explain to an ADULT who has never gone to WDW… that its not just for kids? Will he like it? Will he hate it? Will he leave early? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… you’ll just have to wait and see!!!!!!

Favorite WDW Park: Epcot
Favorite MK Ride: Splash Mountain
Favorite Epcot Ride: Living With The Land
Favorite HS Ride: Tower Of Terror
Favorite AK Ride: Kilamanjaro Safari
Favorite World Showcase Country: United Kingdom
Favorite WDW Character: Donald Duck
Favorite WDW Show: Indiana Jones Stunt Show
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Rose And Crown
Favorite WDW Snack: Beer
Favorite Disney Movie: The Jungle Book

Zack: This is my 17 year old son. He is obsessed with Halo, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Competitive Paint Ball. He also runs track for his High School. Zack has absolutely been obsessed with all things Disney since he was a toddler…. I trained him right! While he is a Thrill Ride Junkie, he also can appreciate the finer details in Disney Attractions such as exploring the countries in World Showcase or in searching for Hidden Mickeys.

Favorite WDW Park: Hollywood Studios
Favorite MK Ride: Space Mountain
Favorite Epcot Ride: Mission Space
Favorite HS Ride: Star Tours
Favorite AK Ride: Expedition Everest
Favorite World Showcase Country: Japan
Favorite WDW Character: Mickey Mouse
Favorite WDW Show: Festival Of The Lion King
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Sci Fi
Favorite WDW Snack: Frozen Lemonade
Favorite Disney Movie: Mulan

Ethan: This is my 9 year old son. He is my little obsessive planner who loves to watch Disney attraction videos on Youtube, scour park maps, and plan dining ADRs with me. Ethan is still at that magical age where he still sits on the sofa rewatching his favorite Disney movies over and over and over again. While he is NOT up for riding ANYTHING scary or anything that goes upside down… he absolutely surprised me on this trip by riding all 3 of MK’s Mountains!

Favorite WDW Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite MK Ride: Thunder Mountain
Favorite Epcot Ride: Ellens Energy Adventure
Favorite HS Ride: Star Tours
Favorite AK Ride: Kilamanjaro Safari
Favorite World Showcase Country: Mexico
Favorite WDW Character: Abu
Favorite WDW Show: Flights Of Wonder
Favorite WDW Restaurant: Crystal Palace
Favorite WDW Snack: Mickey Ice Cream Bar
Favorite Disney Movie: Aladin

My Dad and my Step Mother also came along on this adventure with us. We were able to have adjoining rooms at Pop Century. We stuck with them some of the time… and then other times we split up went our different ways during the day. We ALWAYS met up for dinner each night though because I had made ADR’s for all 6 of us, so they had no choice but to eat with us

Again, thank you for joining in, and please say “Hello” !! Also if you have any WDW Park questions, WDW Restaurant / Disney Dining questions, or any Pop Century Questions be sure to ask and I hopefully will be able to offer some advice.

:d ance3:
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
deedee2177
Disney Darling

Yay!! I have been anxiously hoping you would do a TR. I followed your PTR so I can't wait to see how your trip went especially with the hurricane coming along for the ride!!

April 2014 PTR - Trip with the Grandmas http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3164112 - COMPLETE
April 2014 TR - Different type of trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post51308062 - In Progress
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
MEK
DIS Veteran

Welcome Back. Can't wait to hear all about your trip! Sounds like you had a blast and shared some pixie dust with your DH.

Oh - and congrats on already booking next years return trip!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Hi I'm joining in. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Dreamsdocometrue9112
"hang onto your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

joining in!! I came across your PTR a few days back, and was waiting for your TR to pop up!! Looking forward to reading along about your trip

Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hello! I'm joining in for your story!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsdocometrue9112 View Post
joining in!! I came across your PTR a few days back, and was waiting for your TR to pop up!! Looking forward to reading along about your trip
Awesome!!!!!!!!! Its nice to 'Meet' you! Thank you for reading along
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
Hi I'm joining in. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.
Thank you... its so great to have you along for the ride
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Welcome Back. Can't wait to hear all about your trip! Sounds like you had a blast and shared some pixie dust with your DH.

Thank you SO MUCH for joining along with me... I hope this trip report doesn't disappoint... lol
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post

Oh wait... I just realized from your signature that I had read your 'Will You Chill Out..." TR and I LOVE LOVE LOVED it!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee2177 View Post
Yay!! I have been anxiously hoping you would do a TR. I followed your PTR so I can't wait to see how your trip went especially with the hurricane coming along for the ride!!
Awwww... YAY! So glad you're here to follow along... I'm going to continue my story tonight. Its hard to find time because I work full time... and kids... and kids homework... and dinner... and housework..... I'm sure I'm not the only one though so I need so Suck It Up Buttercup and get my Trip Report Rolling along
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan

Loving all the photos! 3:15? Zack looks sleepy-sleepy in every single one of them! Totally *love* your ears! (Goodness, only a DISer would understand that comment! )

Can't wait to read more!
Awww thank you!! I had ordered the ears online before we left from Ebay!! They were cute...but kind of dug into my head a bit.

We were ALL exhausted...but we kept chugging along
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

Cannot wait to read more. You have a beautiful.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
VACamm
DIS Veteran

I'm back from my hiatus...

When we left off, Ethan was taking a nap in the Liberty Tree Tavern, but of course he woke up for Dessert Dinner was delicious as always at LTT... our family absolutely always has a terrific meal each visit. We highly recommend this dinner

After dinner we went back to Adventureland where we walked through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. Wouldn't it be so fun to live in a Treehouse?

And then we went to ride Aladdins magical mystical and super fun carpets where Ethan and I got spit in the face by the camels

Here is where I took one for the team, and I volunteered to head over to Main St to reserve 6 curbside spots 2 hours early for the Electrical Parade / Magic Memories and You / Wishes. I got everyones backpacks and said goodbye to my family and headed over to Main Street....

My ideal spot was already taken as tons of people were already grabbing spots. I found a good spot (more on this 'good spot' later... ) at the corner at the end of Main St where it turns left around the hub. I put everyones backpacks on the curb to reserve our 6 spots and I sat. And sat. And sat. And sat. While I was sitting I saw this:

I love balloons.

Some CM's came by and marked the pavement right in front of me and my backpack collection with masking tape for the parade route. I chit chatted with them about the parade and the heat (OMG it was HOT!). They assured me I had found great viewing seats for the parade

My butt started hurting so bad from sitting there on the curb for so long. I couldn't get up because more and more people were coming and looking for spots to sit. I was getting so frustrated because people were trying to squeeze me out! People were moving my packs further in and there literally was a family behind me sitting on the sidewalk with the mothers feet touching my back! I was about to go crazy on some folks! I cannot begin to tell you how many times I said "Excuse me, someone is sitting there". I mean... would YOU move someones personal backpack so that you could sit there??? I would never think to do that... and it was quite obnoxious.

It started to get a bit darker, and I called Kevin to come over because it was getting harder and harder to hold the spots. They came quickly in about 10 minutes and brought me an iced coffee However, it wasn't REALLY an iced COFFEE... it was one of those iced coffees that they used instant coffee in instead of brewed coffee. HUGE difference to coffee addicts. Anyway, I appreciated it because I was so hot and thirsty.

As the sun was going down, and before the parade we decided to take a few cute pics:

Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
VACamm
DIS Veteran

The parade was about to start!! How exciting!!!!!!!! We could hear the music coming and ............................................

.............................people started literally walking OVER US and sitting IN FRONT OF US ON THE PAVEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so I got there 2 HOURS EARLY to save our seats, and you literally just got her about 3 seconds ago and think you can get front row???? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm we all took turns asking them to move, but I guess they all had their hearing turned off and completely ignored us . It was so beyond rude and I was so ticked off it was all I could do not to kick them It was very un-Disneylike.

The parade was right in front of us... Holding my camera up high to get pics OVER PEOPLES HEADS of the parade...

As soon as the parade ended, the entire street began to fill up with people and we couldn't see a thing... I completely missed Magic Memories and You Wow this is just not working out the way we planned... but you know what? We are in Disney and we're just happy to be here

I could see some of the Wishes fireworks that were up high, but I still missed a lot of it. Here are a couple of pics with my camera held up over my head

Note to self: Never ever ever sit in that spot for nighttime shows at MK. Also, make sure to have Wishes Dessert Party ADR's.

Once Wishes was over, it was a nightmare trying to get out of MK. Myself, Kevin, Zack, and Ethan took off and left my parents to fend for themselves We made our was through the crowd and out the entrance to the busses. The line for Pop was ridiculously long. We ended up waiting total about 45 min for our bus (there were busses coming and going the whole time, but the line was very long and lots and lots and lots of electric wheelchairs to load). Busses were very crowded... Ethan sat on my lap while Kevin and Zack stood.

We made our way to Pop.... and went to our room for the first time. We didn't know what to expect because this was our first time at a Value Resort (only Moderates previously). Our luggage was in our room as promised We had cute little towel animals waiting for us And we could NOT WAIT to get into bed. We were exhausted from getting up at 3:15am.... but we had an absolute amazing first day.

I forgot to take room pics... sorry. Time for bed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: