Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,353

First CARS @ AoA-Now CARS LAND @ DHS!?

wdwmagic has the most "confidant" report today I have seen on this "possibility" in the last few months.

OF COURSE,only time will tell.

"It has been speculated about for a couple of years now, but sources familiar with the situation tell us that the massively successful $200 million Cars Land from Disney's California Adventure will indeed be heading to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Speculation points to the 'Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show' area as the location, with Cars Land taking over that entire space.



Adding further weight to the talk of Cars Land heading east is the fact that veteran Imagineer Kathy Magnum has recently relocated to Florida. Kathy spent the last few years in California overseeing the Cars Land project there. Nothing has been announced by Disney at this point, so as always, this information should be treated as speculation and is subject to change."
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
notnothin
A Pirate's Life For Me
 
notnothin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: BHM
Posts: 1,672

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
wdwmagic has the most "confidant" report today I have seen on this "possibility" in the last few months.

OF COURSE,only time will tell.

"It has been speculated about for a couple of years now, but sources familiar with the situation tell us that the massively successful $200 million Cars Land from Disney's California Adventure will indeed be heading to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Speculation points to the 'Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show' area as the location, with Cars Land taking over that entire space.



Adding further weight to the talk of Cars Land heading east is the fact that veteran Imagineer Kathy Magnum has recently relocated to Florida. Kathy spent the last few years in California overseeing the Cars Land project there. Nothing has been announced by Disney at this point, so as always, this information should be treated as speculation and is subject to change."
OP on that thread is very much in the know. I think this pretty much confirms it.
__________________
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

notnothin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,353

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnothin View Post
OP on that thread is very much in the know. I think this pretty much confirms it.
I agree totally!

Things can always change,but that site is very "in the know"!
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
JetsetJAK
Mouseketeer
 
JetsetJAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 193

I wonder what kind of time frame there would be on a project like this. Would Disney really work on this at the same time as Avatarland over at AK?
__________________


Fall '89 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Spring '94 - offsite (Orlando Twin Towers)
Fall '00 - offsite (Delta Orlando Resort)
Fall '10 - All-Star Movies
FALL '12 - ALL-STAR MUSIC
JetsetJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,012

I dunno. I think that if they were going to do this, they would have been building two of everything from the start, like they did with the Little Mermaid ride. Otherwise, it ends up being more costly to duplicate stuff.
__________________
Last visited Walt Disney World 11/27/12 - 12/03/12
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetJAK View Post
I wonder what kind of time frame there would be on a project like this. Would Disney really work on this at the same time as Avatarland over at AK?
Likely not.

Which means, even if it happened...you'd be looking at 2016 or later.

I still remain unconvinced Disney would take the exclusive, tourist inducing, attraction they spent 3/4 of a billion on for the west coast, and move it east. It's contrary to the entire reason they built DCA (to create a destination resort, rather than the locals, passholder filled, theme park they have/had).

Not to mention Iger has said they're scaling back on significant domestic park expansion and capital investments (and this would definitely qualify).
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)

Last edited by pilferk; 08-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: An awesome little place just outside Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
wdwmagic has the most "confidant" report today I have seen on this "possibility" in the last few months.

OF COURSE,only time will tell.

"It has been speculated about for a couple of years now, but sources familiar with the situation tell us that the massively successful $200 million Cars Land from Disney's California Adventure will indeed be heading to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Speculation points to the 'Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show' area as the location, with Cars Land taking over that entire space.



Adding further weight to the talk of Cars Land heading east is the fact that veteran Imagineer Kathy Magnum has recently relocated to Florida. Kathy spent the last few years in California overseeing the Cars Land project there. Nothing has been announced by Disney at this point, so as always, this information should be treated as speculation and is subject to change."
There was a huge thread about this a few weeks back, it was very interesting. I will try and dig it out
Phatoomch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: An awesome little place just outside Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,832

DHS Expansion

Phatoomch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
DAZY3BYZ
DIS Veteran
 
DAZY3BYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatoomch View Post
Thank you for this link. DHS is so desperately in need of a major overhaul and if all this were to come true..that's a BIG "if" I know...it would be amazing and just what DHS needs!!
__________________
(DH) (ME) :(DS 21)(DS 19) (DS 14)

1999-ALL Star-sports; 2003- POR; 2004- POR; 2006 POR-POLY; 2007 POLY; 2009 POR-BC; 2010 POR-AKL
DAZY3BYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
bryon
I want to work at Disney...But do my own thing.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 133

I just got back from a California trip and experienced cars Land and the top attraction Radiator Springs Racers.....Visually the land was amazing.

I question though if they would bring Radiator Springs Racers to Florida since the attraction's technology is just like Test Track. I may be in the minority, but I like the ride of test Track better (but I did like the visual aspect of Radiator Springs better)

Makes me believe that if they brought Cars Land to Florida they may have a new/different main attraction.....but that is just a guess.

Same reason why the Indiana Jones ride at DisneyLand probably hasn't come to Disney World....The ride would be similar to Dinosaur.
bryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Daisy-J&D
DIS Veteran
 
Daisy-J&D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryon View Post
I question though if they would bring Radiator Springs Racers to Florida since the attraction's technology is just like Test Track. I may be in the minority, but I like the ride of test Track better (but I did like the visual aspect of Radiator Springs better)

Makes me believe that if they brought Cars Land to Florida they may have a new/different main attraction.....but that is just a guess.
I'm wondering the same exact same thing. We have Test Track so would they really bring Radiator Springs Racers to WDW?
__________________
1982 - Off Site , 1984 - Off Site, 2002 - Off Site Sheraton Safari, 2004 - Pop Century/Off Site, 2004 - Disney Wonder, 2007 - Pop Century, 2008 - Pop Century, 2011 - Pop Century, 2012 - POFQ, 2015 - Disney Fantasy, 2015- Art of Animation.


Jess , Dee and DD4
Daisy-J&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryon View Post
I question though if they would bring Radiator Springs Racers to Florida since the attraction's technology is just like Test Track... Makes me believe that if they brought Cars Land to Florida they may have a new/different main attraction.....but that is just a guess.
A great point. I watched the Dis Podcast Video of the Point of View tour of Radiator Springs, and it did appear to be too similar to Test Track to warrant replicating at WDW. So something else might be needed.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting
 
Sweettears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryon View Post
I just got back from a California trip and experienced cars Land and the top attraction Radiator Springs Racers.....Visually the land was amazing.

I question though if they would bring Radiator Springs Racers to Florida since the attraction's technology is just like Test Track. I may be in the minority, but I like the ride of test Track better (but I did like the visual aspect of Radiator Springs better)

Makes me believe that if they brought Cars Land to Florida they may have a new/different main attraction.....but that is just a guess.

Same reason why the Indiana Jones ride at DisneyLand probably hasn't come to Disney World....The ride would be similar to Dinosaur.
I disagree. Disney has used similar ride systems in many rides before. Think HM, Little Mermaid, Nemo etc... Also Dumbo, Aladin Carpets. I think that as long as the themeing is unique they would not hesitate to repeat a ride system.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
rabbitroger
Mouseketeer
 
rabbitroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 200

I will be surprised, not because DHS doesn't need some love, becuase it clearly does.

But Cars Land is the only big hitter DCA has to offer, if Cars land is duplicated then why would anybody bother going to DCA?
rabbitroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
newdeal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 976

They have plenty of room to add it without dropping lights motors action. I dont like that show but if they change it to cars lamd how will it affect the backlot tour
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.