Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
toastnjam
Earning My Ears

What adult rides are best to focus on?

Planning a trip in January with 6 adults.

I haven't been to Disney since my kids were little.

What rides/attractions do you suggest or avoid because they are meant for younger kids?

I was glancing at the map at MK and didn't realize how many the familiar rides were probably something that my family in general would not be interested in. I'm not as familiar with the other parks though.
toastnjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
funkdot
Earning My Ears

Even the kiddy rides are mostly fun, but I'd steer clear of stuff like Dumbo, the Carousel, etc.. Sticking with the mountains is a good idea, they're always exciting. Tomorrowland has mostly adult rides. You should be able to tell based on the demographic waiting in line what's considered a kiddy ride or not.

Duff-a-day!

Pirates was better before the movie. GO SOX.
funkdot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

I meet up at WDW with adult friends several times a year. We ride anything and everything. Nothing is off limits. . .with the exception of rides my VERY TALL adult friends do not fit in. . .Dumbo and Los Tres Caballeros come to mind. . .however, even my very tall friend will squeeze himself in a ride if he wants to go on it. We just laugh and have fun with the kiddie rides. . .reminds us all of why we love WDW so much.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
SarahFarra
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastnjam View Post
Planning a trip in January with 6 adults.

I haven't been to Disney since my kids were little.

What rides/attractions do you suggest or avoid because they are meant for younger kids?

I was glancing at the map at MK and didn't realize how many the familiar rides were probably something that my family in general would not be interested in. I'm not as familiar with the other parks though.
You will be most at home probably in Epcot of all the parks! It's a park that people grow up to love; meaning kids think it's kind of blah but adults generally call it their favorite! World Showcase hosts the best from many different cultures and make sure to take the time to walk into your favorite ones as they have cool shops, rides or shows for some, and mini museums for some. All are unique and different in their own way. And not to mention the variety of foods and drinks! Future World is also amazing as you have some "grown up" rides such as the MUST DO Sorin', Mission Space (a whimpy version for those with weak stomachs ), and Test Track! Another must do but is great at any age is Spaceship Earth (the big ball). They've changed this in the last couple years and I love it more than ever!

That's just one park, I could go on and on! Enjoy!!

Engagement: 11.8.12
Wedding: 11.8.13
Marriage: Infinity and Beyond

www.markandsaraheverafter.com
www.chasingfairytales.com

PJ: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3035908
SarahFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Businessgypsy
Curiosity fed the dog

Location: Naturally beautiful SW Florida November-June *** Portland, Oregon June - October *** Exploration in between

I really like the Architectural Details maze, the Color Theory spin and the Space Management coaster. Always up for a whirl on the Landscape Design ride, and the Beers of Many Lands contest is a fun challenge. Animal Kingdom is where you'll find the Backstory Express. The Sign Design Spectacular is at Hollywood Studios.

Like all things Disney, it's more fun if you let your imagination out of the cage. Try not to have a blast, I dare you. You will not succeed. Resistance to pleasure is futile.
Businessgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

As an adult, I don't really enjoy The Pooh ride or the various dumbo-type rides (aladdin, astro orbiter, etc.). Mostly I avoid the kiddie rides that have the longest lines due to just impatience alone. I stick with the mountains, Haunted Mansion, Mickey's Philharmagic and Small World because those are the staples for me. But I always do the Carousel because it is sentimental to me. But who says you have to avoid anything in particular?! Someone may want to go on Peter Pan and someone else might HAVE to ride Dumbo. Just go with the flow of the group
Oh! And I never miss the Carousel of Progress due to its historical Disney relevance.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
McDubbs
Disneyphile

I like to wander around and people watch, shop, and eat. But I have a list of rides at each park that are a must ride for me (in order of importance):

DAK
1. Expedition Everest
2. Kilimanjaro Safari (If I feel like taking pictures)
3. Dinosaur

MK
1. Haunted Mansion
2. Thunder Mountain
3. Pirates

Epcot
1. Soarin
I find Epcot to be mostly a drink, eat, and shop kind of place...

DHS
1. Star Tours
2. Rock N Roller Coaster
3. Tower of Terror
4. Muppets 3D (Still funny!)
5. Stunt Show - Would be #1, but my timing is usually off so I either just miss it, or have to wait several hours.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
ariellover3
Earning My Ears

Tower of Terror at night is THE best adult part of the park .
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Businessgypsy View Post
I really like the Architectural Details maze, the Color Theory spin and the Space Management coaster. Always up for a whirl on the Landscape Design ride, and the Beers of Many Lands contest is a fun challenge. Animal Kingdom is where you'll find the Backstory Express. The Sign Design Spectacular is at Hollywood Studios.

Like all things Disney, it's more fun if you let your imagination out of the cage. Try not to have a blast, I dare you. You will not succeed. Resistance to pleasure is futile.
My friend, I love your take on this stuff. Had me laughing heartily. You do realize that someone is actually going to look for rides with these "new" names. . .lol.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
pixie08
DIS Veteran

We used to do every ride, but as we do visit at least twice a year, we find ourselves doing less and less rides and relaxing about and enjoying more of the details, shows etc. Sometimes we like to do the ones we haven't done before etc. It is usually dh and I, or sometimes we go with family, or another couple but no kids yet. There are some that we love and some to avoid and it depends on the trip what we feel like doing..

MK
Must:
Splash
Space
Buzz
tea Cups
Philharmagic
tiki room

Avoid
Pooh
Dumbo
Aladdin

EPCOT

Must:
Drinking and eating around the world
test track soaring
Innoventions house

Avoid
Seas with Nemo
Figment

AK

Must

All the shows (festival, nemo, birds etc)
Forest trails
Safari
Everest
Dinosaur

Avoid
We find this to be the most adult park after EPCOT in terms of rides so there is little to avoid imo.

HS
Must
Tower of terror
Toy Story
Rockin Roller Coaster
Star Tours
Indian Jones
Stunt Show
Muppets

Avoid
American Idol
Little Mermaid (unless you like the movie sooo much)

There are a lot of other great things here too to check out but it depends on priorities.

pixie08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Rebekkap
Australian Mouseketeer!

I dunno why everyone's saying to avoid Dumbo - I LOVE Dumbo!
Rebekkap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: