Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Um, Where's the Ice?! - A July 2012 European and DLRP Adventure*UPDATE 12/15 Pg.29*

Oh my dear friends. My absence from these boards has been horrible. If you've followed along on my other TR's or my PTR, you'll know what has been going on. But, I am back! And I'm ready to get this party started.

This is a retelling of my trip with my Mom and Dad to Disneyland Paris, Belgium, the Netherlands, and London. There were ups and downs (the down mostly being the fact that I suffered from a perforated ear drum 9ish days into the trip), but dangit, I don't care! Introductions? Don't mind if I do!

Me - Danielle.....goober extraordinaire. Trying to look all cool here in my sunglasses. Ppppfffffttttttt. I am thirty *cough*. Sorry, forgot the second number.....

Mom - Jackie. She's not extremely goobery....at least not in a way that I can actually capture on camera very often. She's our Belgian guide, as that's her home country. It's always handy to have someone along who speaks the language.

Dad - Rick....the genes behind my gooberness.

A.K.A the sleeping goober.

A.K.A the man behind the title of this TR. I'll fill you in now. It will be easier.

My Dad is an iceaholic. Like, he needs to go to ice eaters anonymous, because this man eats it non stop. I ask him constantly if he wants any soda with his ice, because his cup is all ice, no soda. He even has a cup of ice next to his bed at night, just in case he gets a hankerin'. Really.

So Europe. Well, it's not the land of ice, in a similar manner it's not the land of free refills. So about two days into the trip, he was ready to have a meltdown. Hence.....

Um, Where's the Ice?!

So come along for the party. I hope you'll have a good time.

Last edited by IheartDDuck; 12-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Chapter 1: Remind Me to Send Out Another Memo About Personal Space

Chapter 2: Who Takes a Sleeping Pill and DOESN'T Sleep? Oh, Right.....ME!

Chapter 3: Dear God Will This Day Ever End?!

Chapter 4: Dude, There are Tollways Everywhere

Chapter 5: What....Bell Services DOESN'T Expect a Tip?!

Chapter 6: Best Haunted Mansion EVER!!!!!

Chapter 7: Let's Shop.....MeMom Style!

Chapter 8: Finally.....A Disney Place That Doesn't Serve NesCrappe!

Chapter 9: Tiny Update

Chapter 10: Captain Hook....Screaming in French

Chapter 11: That Bride is........Scary!

Chapter 12: Espana! Espana! Espana!

Chapter 13: Crush my Coaster!

Chapter 14: Yzma, Put Your Hands in the Air!

Chapter 15: We Are From Antwerpen, So We're Automatically Cooler Than You

Chapter 16: Food!

Chapter 17: More Antwerp

Chapter 18: More Antwerp Continued

Chapter 19: Well I Fried My Hair.....

Last edited by IheartDDuck; 12-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

I'm here Danielle! Love the title! (: Can't wait to hear all about the trip!
PlutosRHM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
burly
DIS Veteran

I'm here....
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Remind Me to Send Out Another Memo About Personal Space

Departure Day Thursday June 28 and Friday June 29, 2012

Yes, departure day can span across two days. Especially when you’re flying to another country, that flight takes eight hours, and you don’t leave your home country until 6pm. But that’s just a tiny detail.

I woke up bright and early on Thursday June 28th. Work was to commence for me at the ungodly hour of 6am. Yup. 6am work arrival, 6pm flight after that. Thus began the longest travel day of life.

I haven’t actually had a 2 week vacation in about 5 years, so this was super exciting for me. Although, I’m not going to lie, I was a little bit apprehensive about being gone for two weeks. I didn’t know if my team would stage an uprising, or if my boss would have a meltdown. Whatever. Not my concern for two weeks. LOL.

Neither of my parents had to work, lucky ducks. So they took me to work that morning, so that I didn’t have to bother with my car at all. Jason, my brother, would be taking us all to the airport straight from our work.

I am a firm believer that any good vacation starts with food. Mine started with McDonalds. Not great food to some, but their breakfast is my favorite thing EVER! However, I just don’t understand why they can’t serve breakfast all the time. Is a McMuffin that much harder to make than a Big Mac? I think not.

So Egg McMuffin, hash brown, and Coke Zero in hand, it was off to work. Ooooo, ooooo, I do have a funny story to tell though. It was from my trip to work the prior day (not relevant to this, but it was humorous, so go with it people!!!!). So, I go through the Dunkin' Donuts drive through for some coffee (because we all need it. It is the coffee of life), and this lady in front of me angles herself at the drive through like so (drivethrough \). Imagine the backslash is the woman’s car. So, when she collects her goodies, she proceeds to drive her car forward and RAM IT IN THE SIDE OF THE DRIVETHROUGH! Seriously. And then she's all like "did I do that?" Urkelesque. When I pulled up there, I asked my poor Dunkin' Donuts guy if he was afraid for his life. He said "nah, I have the building to protect me." The moral of this story. No moral, just that there are stupid people everywhere, but I think you knew that already.

Now that that little anecdote is out of the way, the workday just flew by. I said my goodbyes to my peeps and it was out the door at 2:30pm, with Jason driving my parent’s Armada (they had come to work with the truck and the luggage). Remember, Jason works with me so it was the perfect scenario. Plus, we’re cheap, so if we can avoid paying for parking dagnabbit, I’m going to!
The trip to the airport was uneventful. But you could totally tell my Dad was super excited to get where we were going. Why? Because he totally felt that every person on the road was an idiot. Because he was yelling at them constantly, sounding more like me than him. “Seriously?! Can you drive?! You JACKWAGON!!!!”

We reached the airport by 3:15pm. Pretty good timing. We said our goodbyes to Jason, and Dad promptly told him that if he dented the Armada, he would have to make his car payments for him.

Oh, and random? Here is my pedicure for the trip. LOL.

And my gel manicure. Did it last two weeks? We’ll see!

We found the Virgin Atlantic desk, and my first (of a few) surprise of the trip happened. Apparently, they weigh your carryon luggage.

Um……what?

I’ve never had that happen in my life. Not that our carryons were overfull, but that carryon was supposed to be my saving grace for bringing things home! And to boot, their weight limitation? 6 kilos...or 13 pounds?! Seriously? Seriously.

So, Mom and I had to pull a few things out of our bag and throw it in our backpacks. Souvenir plan. Shot!

Which brings me to:

International Travel Tip #1 – Make sure you check the weight restrictions on baggage. As I just found out and wasn’t aware of, they may limit the weight on your carryon as well.

On to…..the atrocious TSA line. This is why we arrived almost 3 hours early. It took us almost 45 minutes just to get through the ticket and passport check. All the while, there was a group of people close by that kept on getting all close. Personal space folks. Personal space. I just sent that memo out last week! And, we had record breaking like over 100 degree weather in Chicago that day. I thought I was going to melt. It could have been because people were transferring their body heat to me by being so FLIPPING CLOSE!!!

Don’t I look melty?

International Travel Tip #2 – Remember to give yourself ample time at the airport, as passport control can be unpredictable. We gave ourselves almost three hours, and we reached some nervous points.

Mom was grateful to be out of TSA too.

So we found our gate and settled in.

And did what any self respecting traveler would do…take the items that we had to stuff into our backpacks and put them back in our carryons. Take that Virgin!

Sorry, I just found the restriction a little ridiculous.

Finally, boarding began. And we were in the last boarding group. Wah wah wah.

So we get up to the gate, Mom gives her ticket, and it doesn’t scan. She’s told she needs to go to the desk and get reticketed.

Wwhhhaaaaatttt?????!!!!! Oh dear lord……

And mine does the same thing, and Dad’s. Dear God, please let us be on this flight. I am never booking through Vayama again if it’s all screwed up. OMG OMG……You suck Vayama!!!

This is my brain at that exact moment. I was so confused.

So then we give our tickets to the lady at the counter, and she says “oh, looks like you got a complimentary upgrade”.

*silence* *epic silence*

Upgraded? That never happens to me when I don’t pay for it! We were upgraded to Premium Economy. Good thing I wore clean clothes. Look out people, because I’m a beer drinking, burping contest chick! Dad is convinced that they upgraded us because he’s so cute.

We got settled in.

And some gooberiness came out to play.

Only mildly better.

Pre-flight champagne? Don’t mind if I do.

Up next: How was the flight? How was London passport control?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

I'm here!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm here! YAY I'm glad you finally started.

First of all, I must say that I'm like your dad... in that I have an addiction to water. (Ice is just frozen water, after all. ) But I totally get it. Hahah.

They seriously weigh your CARRY ON? What on earth? That is ridiculous, but yall are hilarious. Good thing they don't weigh it again once you board! "Just double checking."

UPGRADES!!!!!! I'm a fan.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
loladelorean
The Disney Pro!!!

Really enjoying this! Looking forward to reading your DLP section. Being Scottish, I need to ask, what's a goober? I suspect it's similar to a Glaswegian "dobber"...
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to read more. Even though I was there I am still excited to read your TR.
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
Can't wait to read more. Even though I was there I am still excited to read your TR.
And I'm more than happy to share it.

P.S. *stage whisper* You need to update your ticker. *end stage whisper*

Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

I have missed your TRs (totally my fault since I haven't logged on all summer! ) So while I am hideously behind on all TRs, I am signing up now to this one in the vain hopes that I will stay somewhat up to date with it.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!! What an awesome start!! I just love the goobernish of your family! How awesome for the upgrade too!! Can't wait for more!!

About the Dunkin Donuts anecdote: I was once in a Wendy's drive-thru and a lady hit the yellow pole next between the drive thru and building. Only she nailed it and glass shattered only to back up, straighten her car slightly and then rammed it again. She backed up again and straightened her car correctly and drove off. Seriously!? I could just see explaining that to my husband!
TinksThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
Loving your trippie! Think yourself lucky you weren't flying an economy airline
We were very fortunate to be able to fly Virgin. However, for us it was the cheapest airline if you can believe that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladelorean View Post
Really enjoying this! Looking forward to reading your DLP section. Being Scottish, I need to ask, what's a goober? I suspect it's similar to a Glaswegian "dobber"...
Glad you're here and I can't wait to talk about DLP. I will try my best to describe a goober. Essentially it's just someone who is a big dork that has absolutely no shame. That pretty much describes my whole family. We don't often take regular pictures, because we're all making faces. Hence, no shame.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #15
LookinUp
Mouseketeer

First, I'm so glad your grandma is doing better and your dad wasn't having heart trouble. Not that diabetes is anything to sneeze at. I hope for him it can be reasonably well controlled by diet. Every body is different.
That's some snazzy gear for "economy," my dear. With your last update, I was thrilled when I thought the upgrade just gave you leg room & champagne. I'm too short to need extra leg room myself, but I do love champagne. What a lovely way to start your big trip!
Oh and then comes the swag bag. Too fabulous that it's full of functional items *and* they're color-coordinated with your ab-fab nails! New favorite thing. Just sorry your sleep mask was malfunctioning. At least you had yummy brekkies and a fresh face to start the new day. Such a smart traveler. Can't wait for more!

LookinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: