Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Talking Vacation Potpourri - Disney Dream, Kidani Village, and more! - Vacation Wrap-Up 4/24

Vacation Potpourri

Vacation Potpourri???

Yes, but not the smell-good kind, the miscellaneous collection kind! Because thats what our Disney trip was this year - all little bit of this and a little bit of that!

Here we are:

Allison (12), Davis (42), Bridget (me-32), Luke (10)

Weve been going to Disney since 2003 as a family, with the exception of 2007 when Davis & I left the kids at home (well, with Grandparents!) and went by ourselves.

This years trip included our very first cruise ever: 3 nights aboard the Disney Dream!

We stayed at Kidani Village (another first!) after the cruise and did our fair share of theme-parking during that time, however, it wasnt all Disney&

Those kids of ours wanted to do two days at Universal Studios this year. Last year we went to Islands of Adventure for the very first time to experience the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The kids loved it, of course and felt the urge to go back and do more!

Another thing we wanted to do while Luke was still fairly young and into Legos was to visit Legoland. But could we survive without a visit to a Disney park on our vacation?

Of course not!

We decided to throw in a Disney day, too. Preferably one with Magic Kingdom Evening Extra Magic Hours, so that we could get Park Hoppers and visit Epcot in the morning, and Magic Kingdom in the evening. It just so happened to work out that the only day that was possible was May 27 - the day we disembarked the Dream.

Crazy? Maybe!

Our travel dates were May 21 - June 2, 2012. We cruised May 24 - 27, checked in at Kidani Village May 27 and out on June 1.

I hope youll read along with me!

I'll be posting chapter links in this area as I add them.

Chapter 1: Highway Man
Chapter 2: Fish N' Chips N' Vinegar
Chapter 3: A1A - Beachfront Avenue
Chapter 4: Southern Cross
Chapter 5: Back in Time
Chapter 6: I don't know any songs about staterooms
Chapter 7: Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away
Chapter 8: Secret Agent Man
Chapter 9: The End of Embarkation Day
Chapter 10: Bermuda, Bahama.....
Chapter 11: Nassau
Chapter 12: I Wanna Know, Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Chapter 13: I Would Walk 500 Miles
Chapter 14: On an Island in the Sun...
Chapter 15: Castaway Continued
Chapter 16: It's the Best Day Ever!
Chapter 17: Epcot, in a blur
Chapter 18: Kidani Village
Chapter 19: Magic Kingdom, at last!
Chapter 20: A Rainy Universal Studios
Chapter 21: More Universal Monday
Chapter 22: Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head
Chapter 23: Pool Day begins.
Chapter 24: Pool Day continues.
Chapter 25: Off to Neverland -- I mean Legoland!
Chapter 26: Cypress Gardens
Chapter 27: Making the rounds
Vacation Wrap-Up

2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West

Last edited by Bridora; 04-24-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I just saw your link! I'm here to read all about the fun you had!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I just saw your link! I'm here to read all about the fun you had!
Yay! I'm glad you saw it - I just started today, obviously!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
Old 08-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridora View Post
Yay! I'm glad you saw it - I just started today, obviously!
I'm looking forward to seeing how your thoughts and our thoughts of the cruise match up.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Bridora
DIS Veteran

“Highway Man”

You Tube link to the music video:"Highway Man" - The Highway Men

Or Highway Family, you know…But we aren’t highway robbers, sailors, dam-builders, or star-ship pilots. Ok, so maybe that wasn’t the best choice of song/chapter title, but it is a good song. And “On the Road Again” seems kind of obvious.

We live in central Arkansas and make our way to Disney World each year on the road. We’d love to fly, but I don’t want to pay for those airline tickets! We’ve had several different game plans for the drive throughout the years, but this year we broke it up like this:

Leave after school May 21 (kids’ last day)
Drive to New Albany, MS and stay the night
Drive all day May 22, stopping in Ocala, FL for the night
Arrive fairly early in Cape Canaveral on May 23

Usually, stopping at Ocala works out well for us. It’s only about an hour and a half away from Disney, so we can get there pretty early the next day and have that day for Downtown Disney, resort exploring, etc. We should have thought it out a bit better this year, though, and maybe driven a little further on the 21st and gotten into Cape Canaveral on the 22nd instead of stopping in Ocala.

I had been looking into renting a minivan for our trip this year. Since we were going on the 3 night cruise, we packed differently this year and were going to have more bags. We drive a Prius and while we’ve taken it to Disney the past 3 years, it can only hold so much!

Yeah, renting a van for our vacation would be expensive!

Luckily for us, my Father-in-law was kind enough to let us borrow their minivan for vacation!

Allison had been whole-heartedly against the whole van idea from the start. Did you know only old people drive vans? Apparently so.

Luke, on the other hand, was thrilled to be sitting away from his sister and riding in luxury!

Our goal was to be on the road by 5:00.

Once we had loaded the van, dropped off the dog at FIL's house, and made a pit stop at Chick-fil-A for drinks, we were ready to hit 67-167:

at:

5:15 - Not too shabby!

A few pics from the road:

Memphis, TN

Love bridges!

And we were glad to be passing through, TN!

I was trying to capture the sunset…

Mississippi - our home for the night.

If you have read any of my previous Trip Reports, we were staying at the same Hampton Inn as we have in the past. The past two years, I think. I don’t know much about New Albany, MS, itself, but the hotel is nice. They have a pool and continental breakfast, which makes the kids happy! Davis could do without both, though!

May 22 dawned and we slept until a normal time before eating some breakfast and loading the van for our full day of driving.

We didn’t get on the road without my must have road trip drink, however:

I remembered to check the date!

And then we drove through some other states which are all equally great before arriving in:

Florida!

Excited to be in Florida! Must have been killing time while Davis fueled up the van.

Yep, that's my son!

And at the end of the day we were at the Comfort Suites in Ocala, eagerly awaiting Cape Canaveral the next day!

Last edited by Bridora; 08-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Hey, you old folks you....what you doing in that van? Seriously, we loved the extra room when we took my Mama's van to Disney a few years back.

Looks like ya'll made some good time and had fun while getting there.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing how your thoughts and our thoughts of the cruise match up.
Me too! I keep thinking they'll be pretty similar.

Quote:
Hey, you old folks you....what you doing in that van? Seriously, we loved the extra room when we took my Mama's van to Disney a few years back.

Looks like ya'll made some good time and had fun while getting there.
Yep - just bein' old - pokin' down to Florida - in a van!

We had as nice of a 900 + mile drive as one could ask for, I suppose! I'm always thankful when we don't have problems getting there!

How's the plans for Hot Springs this weekend? Looks like we are not going to make it. We'll most likely be dragging the kids through the mall shopping for school clothes. Arkansas had tax free weekend last weekend, but I didn't brave the crowds!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
chica622
Mouseketeer

Subscribing, can't wait to read about your adventures!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica622 View Post
Subscribing, can't wait to read about your adventures!
Yay!

More adventures coming up!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Bermuda, Bahama…….

You just knew this Beach Boys song was coming, didn’t you?

I was the first one awake that morning. I couldn’t wait to get out on that verandah and take in the view. What would be out there this morning? We had spent some time out there the night before. We spied some mysterious lights in the distance that we decided must be another cruise ship. Maybe they had docked somewhere for the night? It was fun watching the ocean at night. It’s so dark out there!

- Story break -

I’m putting this in here, out of sequence. It makes the most sense to me to just add it in here, as I’ve just now remembered that I left it out of my previous chapter. Oops!

While the rest of us had gotten over our seasickness feelings, poor Allison had not. After returning to the stateroom from dinner the night before, Allison and I headed down to Deck 1 to pay a visit to the Health Center. We found our way down there to that creepy, plain hallway that leads to the Health Center. I didn’t know what to expect down there, but the Health Center was already closed. Fortunately, there on the wall in a plastic bin were the little magic guys we were looking for, along with an information/instruction page. I took one page and 4 or 5 packets of tablets and we headed back to our stateroom. I’m happy to report that while Allison had to take about one tablet a day, those tablets really did work for her!

Continuing on with Friday morning, here’s what it looked like outside:

Pardon the condensation on the lens, I couldn’t wait to start snapping pictures!

You can see Atlantis off in the distance.

I soon had some company:

And then there was more company on the water:

What’s that?! A little boat, heading toward us…

What’s he doing?

He went toward the back of the ship and then turned and came right up alongside us while Luke and I discussed the likelihood of his being a pirate ship.

Getting closer!

I loved this lighthouse, as you will see when viewing these next pictures.

…Continued in next post…
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Bridora
DIS Veteran

…Continued…

This is not even all of them!

Should I keep going?

Just one more lighthouse picture, I promise this is all!

Coming in to the dock.

Allison was not interested in going to the DVC Members’ event.

But I was! And here’s a good real-life shot of our stateroom.

Luke was all smiles, but not very interested in the DVC Members’ event either.

While I was getting ready, Davis went out on the verandah and took some more pictures:

Since Allison was still asleep, I offered to just run down to the DVC thing and see what it was all about while the rest of the family stayed in the stateroom. I double-checked the location: Evolution, Deck 4 Aft, and set out to find my way there. I knew how to get down to Deck 4, but wasn’t sure just where Evolution was. After walking past the shuffleboard place, I saw a set of doors and figured those were as good a place as any to start looking. I walked in and right in front of me was a Castmember standing right outside Evolution. Hooray! After chatting just a bit and mentioning how I’d left the others in the stateroom, he handed me this nifty little dude:

and 4 baseball caps, one for each family member. How nice! The folder wasn't stuffed with all that paper in the left pocket, though. I added that later.

Evolution is one of the night clubs onboard, by the way. It was a fairly big space with a bar, several tables, and a small dance floor. The tables near the dance floor were low and the seating was on booth-like couches. Hard to describe, but pretty neat - I didn’t take any pictures! I took a seat at one of those low tables. A Castmember was already doing his thing, talking about the cruise and getting the event started, and soon another came by with a few mimosas on his tray. He offered me one, but I declined. “Are you sure? They’re complimentary”, he said.

Complimentary?

Well.

I was on vacation. I took one and sipped on it while I listened to the speaker talk up Aulani and explain to us all the point specials they had going on. I didn’t win any door prizes, but I was happy with my little folder and the ball caps. All in all, I spent about an hour in there and had just one more mimosa. Ah, the life of luxury!

When I got back to the stateroom, everyone was starving and ready for breakfast. We went down to Cabanas and filled our plates.

We returned to the stateroom after breakfast and got our things ready to go ashore and see a little bit of Nassau. I had read in the Navigator that we didn’t need to take our Passports with us when we left the ship. So I left those in the stateroom. It was a dreary, cloudy day outside, so I also left the big camera in the stateroom and took my small Olympus Tough. But did I accidentally leave something else of importance in the stateroom?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Great pictures of the approach to Nassau! It really is so pretty from far away. If we ever cruise again (which is a big IF), I may have to splurge on a verandah room.

Oh no! You're worrying me with your talk of leaving something of importance in the room! You know how my hubby did something that sounds quite similar to what you are hinting at.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

So I was going through the TR section and saw you had a new trip report! I am very late but joining in. Subscribing to catch up! Oh, and I love your link to the Epcot music. I think I may have ripped that exact video and put it on my ipod...
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
So I was going through the TR section and saw you had a new trip report! I am very late but joining in. Subscribing to catch up! Oh, and I love your link to the Epcot music. I think I may have ripped that exact video and put it on my ipod...
Glad you found me! I've been so slow posting updates lately. And I'm way behind reading the TRs I'm subscribed to.

Yay - glad you liked the music. I think Future World has some of the best music in all of Disney!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Sunday, May 27, 2012: Part 4.
Magic Kingdom at last!

By the time we made it to Magic Kingdom, it was around 7 pm.

We saw a rainbow as we headed into the park:

Even with that late arrival hour, we still had 8 magical hours to spend before Evening Extra Magic Hours ended. The only question: would we make it?

The first order of business was supper.

Columbia Harbor House is one of our favorites, and was our choice for the night!

I think I took this picture after eating.

Im not really sure why I took these next two pictures, but since I did, Ill share them with you:

This is the stroller parking for the Haunted Mansion.

Maybe I was going for a pic of the Yankee Trader, but Titleist guy was in the way before?

My notes say we walked over to the new Storybook Circus area next and did a bit of exploring before backtracking to the Haunted Mansion. I dont think anything was open over there yet, maybe one of the Dumbos? It was strange being there after Mickey and Minnie had moved out of the neighborhood.

Here are some pictures from our walk:

This was just a few days before Snow Whites Scary Adventures closed for good. While we enjoyed it, we chose not to ride it that night.

My pictures are a bit out of whack at the moment. I think its a combination of time thats passed since then and trying to figure out this new Photobucket layout thats got me a bit lost right now.

I do remember popping in to the store there behind the castle, and finally seeing the giant for myself.

Apparently, my family did not see me go in and I was momentarily lost. I found them wandering near the castle looking in all the little nooks and crannies to see if I might have been hiding. This was on the way back to Liberty Square, before we had ridden Haunted Mansion.

After paying a visit to Master Gracies abode, we found ourselves following the end of the parade toward Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. As soon as we could, we hit the hidden river walk path and bypassed a lot of the parade traffic.

We waited in an updated queue for the fastest ride in the wilderness and just missed watching the fireworks from a run away mine cart.

Instead, we stopped to watch somewhere between Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Pirates:

The fireworks inspired us to become pirates, and as luck would have it, we were able to board a sailing vessel right away!

Upon exiting our Pirate adventure, Davis contemplated changing his hairstyle:

What do you think?

Luke was begging to ride Space Mountain, so we made our way there via Jungle Cruise Fastpasses and a drop in visit to our dear friends, the Robinsons.

They are a Swiss family with a very unique home, you may have seen it the last time you flew over Agrabah on your magic carpet.

Continued in the next post, here

Last edited by Bridora; 02-04-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: