Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Shana & Sean's PJ - 7/5/13 Swan/Fultons *Wedding TR - Updated 9/1*

Hi Everyone!!!

I am so excited to finally start my planning journal. Honestly, this wedding has been in the works for the past 14 months and I have finally passed our one year mark!!!

**Now that I have a few posts I will place links in here so you can jump ahead at your leisure:
Tentative Wedding Weekend plans
Wedding Colors/Dress Ideas/Venue
Photo/Video Choices and a Mini-Meltdown
Ceremony Music
Save The Dates
Photographer is Booked/Package Details
Disney On Ice Mini TR
Hunt for Just Married buttons and a stop in France
Wedding Dress Success!
Slight Change of plans...
E-Shoot Recap and Preliminary Budget
Engagement Shoot Sneak Peak
Revised Wedding schedule
Engagement Shoot Pictures
Wedding Registry Party at Crate & Barrel
Guestbook, Officiant, and other mini-updates
Sisterly Drama and I picked out my flowers!!
Less than 6 months to go!
Bridesmaid dresses, floral, cake, and other little things
Secret Honeymoon and other mini updates
Reception Lunch Menu picked!!!
Tuxedos for the boys, table signs for the guests, and Disney fun for me!
60 days to go and not enough time

WEDDING TRIP REPORT:
First up, Vendor Reviews!
Quick Recap of the weeks leading up the wedding
July 4th - Welcome Party Drama - EPCOT - Part 1
July 4th - Drinks, Drinks, and more Drinks - EPCOT - Part 2
July 4th - Beauty sleep?? I think NOT! - EPCOT - Part 3

A little back story first:
I'm Shana. Grad Student, Customer Service Rep, full-time goof-ball and Disney fanatic . I am 24 years old and I just started grad school for a masters in psychology. I moved to Florida almost 6 years ago from Germany. My father was in the military and my mother is German so we moved back and forth a lot. Anywho, I have always loved Disney but didnt realize how much until I moved to the Disney Capital
I would say my favorite movie is Cinderella (which comes out on Blu-Ray on my birthday... Coincidence? I think not!) and my favorite characters include Remy, Woody (because thats my last name), Minnie and Daisy. The newest addition to my favorites is Merida, as I just saw BRAVE at the movies last night.

Sean is 29 and currently works as an Office Manager at a university. He is a gamer, Star Wars fan, and amateur foodie. He didn't really care for anything Disney until he met me. He said that he always thought Disney was strictly for kids but I showed him otherwise. Needless to say, he was the one who bought us our first set of annual passes and we go to Disney, at least, one a month.

How we met:
Simply put, online! I never really thought much of online dating but one day, I just decided to try it out. I tried eHarmony during one of their "free weekends" and didnt really think much would come of it. On the last day of the free weekend nothing had sprouted so i decided to give it an extended try and signed up for a one month membership. On my birthday, I had about a week left on the membership and I got a message from a guy that was, honestly, the opposite of anyone I had ever met or eve dated before but I was very intrigued. I didnt write back until the day after my birthday and from that point forward we couldnt stop talking. We spent the next week emailing back and forth. From there it went to Skyping, texts, and phone calls. After about 3 weeks of this we went on a date. We have not been apart since!!

By the end of our second month of dating we went on two mini-vacations together, by the end of the third month we said I LOVE YOU to each other, and by our 6 month dating anniversary he flew all the way to Germany with me to meet the rest of my family.

The proposal:
Being that the way we met wasn't traditional, neither was the proposal. We had talked about getting married before but just sort of in passing. We knew we would get married eventually but had no intent of doing so any time soon... or so I thought! It was two weeks before Valentines Day and I had been throwing hints at Sean that I would like jewelry (he always asks me exactly what I want because he thinks he is a bad gift giver and that I will not like what he gets). He asked me what kind of jewelry and I said "I don't know... be creative". After a day or so of back and forth I told him that, if he does get me jewelry, that I would like a necklace or a bracelet, since I didnt have a lot of those. Next think I knew was him asking me to get dressed on a Friday evening and that we were going somewhere. When I asked where, he said to the jewelry store since he was too overwhelmed with the choices and that I should show him the style I like. We arrived at Kay's about 45 minutes before they closed and were the only people in the store. As i was browsing for something big and sparkly he pointed to a case and said "What about something like this?". He was pointing at the case with wedding bands and engagement rings and I looked at him and asked "You know what you are pointing at, right?". He laughed and said yes. All of the sales assistants (all ladies) were smiling and looking at me waiting for me to say something. Then... the unexpected! He took my hand and said "I know you wanted something special, something that you would have thats memorable and would last forever; you wanted me to be creative..." By this time i knew what was coming. He looked at the case of sparkling diamond engagement rings and asked me if I would marry him! Obviously, I said yes!!!
Now, remember when I said that he wanted me to go with him and show him what style of jewelry I liked best? That's right, he pointed at the case and said I can pick out any ring I wanted. I asked if he was kidding and he said he wasn't but I shouldnt go overboard
I picked out multiple rings and told him that these are rings I liked but he made the final decision.
The ring was ready to be picked up on Valentine's day where we went on an amazing dinner and then headed to the Magic Kingdom where he proposed in a more "traditional" way in front of the castle.
Valentines Day 2011, almost a year and a half after we started dating, I wore my engagement ring for the very first time.

I know this isnt your typical engagement story but nothing about us is and I wouldnt have changed it for the world!

When we got engaged we initially set out to have a long engagement, but 2 months later we were in full blown wedding mode. At the time, we decided that we do not have a budget for a DFTW so we picked out a beautiful location at a country club, caterer, and photographer for a spring 2012 wedding. About 4 months later, we unexpectedly had to move as Sean had to change jobs and buy a new car, which depleted a lot of the wedding fund. Luckily, we had not yet sent out invitations, as we just decided to put the wedding on hold. Now, here we are a little over a year later planning the wedding we knew we wanted all along: a Disney wedding! I think having to "redo" the wedding a year later made me realize what I really wanted and what I didnt.

As we still didnt really have a DFTW budget we decided to go with a Swan and Dolphin wedding and I could not be happier. Sean never really chimes in when it comes to the wedding but he is ecstatic that we are having it at the Swan, as he feels like Disney is such a big part of our relationship.

Our date is 7/5/2013 at 4:00pm... LET THE PLANNING BEGIN!

Last edited by ShanaMouse; 09-01-2013 at 10:42 PM.
ShanaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Y'all are TOO cute! I love your ring and your story!

And, of course, I'm so glad you're joining our Swalphin sisterhood! Can't wait to follow along with your plans! Time will fly, promise!
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
Y'all are TOO cute! I love your ring and your story!

And, of course, I'm so glad you're joining our Swalphin sisterhood! Can't wait to follow along with your plans! Time will fly, promise!
Thank you for the warm welcome! I do have to say that every time i look at the ticker at the bottom of my signature I get butterflies because I am just so excited that we have passed the one year mark and it is actually becoming real. I told myself I wouldnt start planning any specifics until we got to that point!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Tentative Wedding Weekend Plans

Okay, now that I have gotten the introduction out of the way, its time to get down to business.

We are getting married on 7.5.13, which is a Friday, at 4:00pm. There were a couple of reason as to why we chose that date.
1. It's summer time!
2. As I have family living in Europe, we needed a date at which my niece and nephews had vacation so they could come along.
3. Going hand in hand with number 2: i am still in school and this is a time where i have an extended vacation without interfering with any school time.

So, here is what I have so far:

Thursday, July 4th:

Welcome Party/4th of July celebration - as we are local, we are thinking of possibly renting out a venue in Winter Park, Fl (about 30 minutes from Disney) and having an informal BBQ to celebrate that everyone has come to see us get married and watch the fireworks.

Friday, July 5th:

10 am - 12 pm: Bridal Breakfast, possibly at my favorite breakfast place at Disney: BOMA
12:30 - 3:30 pm: Spa with the ladies getting manicures and our hair done in addition to getting dressed (not sure if this is enough time)
4:00pm - Ceremony
4:30pm - Cake and Champagne Reception and taking photos
5:00 pm - Early dinner... really have no idea where I would want this to take place just yet
8:00 or later - AFTER PARTY lol - not sure what I want to do but I am trying to decide between going to Epcot to watch the fireworks there, as most of our guests will have park tickets, or going dancing at the Atlantic Dancehall or a trip to Jellyrolls.

Saturday, July 6th:
Morning After Breakfast for all - I would like to go to 1900 Park Fare or, if I am feeling a little more fancy that day I may want to go to The Wave

For those still staying past that point I want us to do something together, especially because my family from Europe will be here and I do not get to see them very often.

Honeymoon:

Sean and I have decided to go on our honeymoon a month after the wedding once school is over. This way we have the stress of the wedding behind us and we can just enjoy being with each other. Currently we have a few things on the table:
1. California Adventure:
Sean has never been to CA and I used to live there but mainly stayed in the San Fran area. I have always loved it there and we just want to explore the west coast with a trip to Disneyland for about 10 days.
2. France and Italy:
do I need to say more? I have been to France, but its been about 15 years since I was last there. I love Europe and the culture and we always dream about seeing the Eiffel Tower and then exploring the history of Rome (Yeah, we are geeks at heart )
3. Disney Cruise

There is also a fourth choice but the only way this happens is if we hit the lottery: ADVENTURES BY DISNEY! Either one of the many european trips or the one to Africa so we can go on safari.
A girl can dream, right?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

That's a sweet engagement story! I had someone come to my room to do my hair and makeup and that took almost 2 hours so you may need to rethink the times for the day off. Can't wait to read more!

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
sarahb01
Mouseketeer

Hello to my fellow Swalphin!

Your engagement story is so cool! I bet it really took you by surprise. Your plans sound wonderful do far!

I too love Europe and I (we) are planning to go there for a one year anniversary/honeymoon. That is if/when I get my way

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Janice2013
Earning My Ears

Janice & Terry July 1, 2013

Hi Shana

I love your story - and we'll be at Disney at the same time as Terry and I are getting married July 1, 2013. Good luck with planning and keep us posted

a>
Janice2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice2013 View Post
Hi Shana

I love your story - and we'll be at Disney at the same time as Terry and I are getting married July 1, 2013. Good luck with planning and keep us posted
YAY for July Weddings
Where at Disney are you getting married?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Photographer has been booked!

Okay, so today I finally pulled the trigger on a photographer. Funny enough, it was no one on the list I had.

I asked around in the FB group as to which photographer everyone is using or used and one fellow Swan bride brought up Regina Hyman.
I went to her website, browsed through her work, looked up reviews, and filled out one of those "contact me" forms. Within a couple of hours she responded with numerous different packages for every budget!
She has intimate ceremony packages as well as all day coverage, that's a little more extravagant.
I went with the Platinum Intimate Ceremony Package and added an engagement shoot. Here is what our package includes:
  • 2 hour engagement shoot
  • 2 hour wedding ceremony coverage
  • all images from the engagement and ceremony on disc with printing rights
  • all images edited and/or enhanced
  • 16x20 canvas or metal print
  • 26 page custom designed wedding album
  • Webposting of wedding and e-session
  • DVD slideshow
  • digital album

For all of the above she quoted me at right around $1000, which is fine with me. Her works looks amazing and it includes an engagement shoot with all of the images, as well as a wedding album. This is probably the best package I found for photography that I felt hit all of the things we wanted. She does have even cheaper packages that start around $500, if memory serves me right. Technically our package is only $750, but I wanted to add the engagement shoot along with the disk of the images.
Another thing that's really neat about her is the fact that she is actually part of the Disney Fine Art Photography team, so she has done tons of Disney weddings!
If anyone's interested, here is a link to her page http://reginahymanphoto.com/

We scheduled our engagement shoot for 9/29/12 at 9am
I am really excited for the next couple of weeks:
9/8 - Disney On Ice
9/22 - Wedding Dress shopping
9/29 - Engagement shoot/Epcot's Food & Wine
10/6 - Birthday Party
10/13 - Mythbuster's LIVE

I'll be back soon everyone!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaMouse View Post
Okay, so today I finally pulled the trigger on a photographer. Funny enough, it was no one on the list I had.

I asked around in the FB group as to which photographer everyone is using or used and one fellow Swan bride brought up Regina Hyman.
I went to her website, browsed through her work, looked up reviews, and filled out one of those "contact me" forms. Within a couple of hours she responded with numerous different packages for every budget!
She has intimate ceremony packages as well as all day coverage, that's a little more extravagant.
I went with the Platinum Intimate Ceremony Package and added an engagement shoot. Here is what our package includes:
  • 2 hour engagement shoot
  • 2 hour wedding ceremony coverage
  • all images from the engagement and ceremony on disc with printing rights
  • all images edited and/or enhanced
  • 16x20 canvas or metal print
  • 26 page custom designed wedding album
  • Webposting of wedding and e-session
  • DVD slideshow
  • digital album

For all of the above she quoted me at right around $1000, which is fine with me. Her works looks amazing and it includes an engagement shoot with all of the images, as well as a wedding album. This is probably the best package I found for photography that I felt hit all of the things we wanted. She does have even cheaper packages that start around $500, if memory serves me right. Technically our package is only $750, but I wanted to add the engagement shoot along with the disk of the images.
Another thing that's really neat about her is the fact that she is actually part of the Disney Fine Art Photography team, so she has done tons of Disney weddings!
If anyone's interested, here is a link to her page http://reginahymanphoto.com/

We scheduled our engagement shoot for 9/29/12 at 9am
I am really excited for the next couple of weeks:
9/8 - Disney On Ice
9/22 - Wedding Dress shopping
9/29 - Engagement shoot/Epcot's Food & Wine
10/6 - Birthday Party
10/13 - Mythbuster's LIVE

I'll be back soon everyone!
You will LOVE Regina! She did my engagement shoot, wedding, MK Bridal Shoot, and we just had her again in June for our 1 year anniversary shoot. She's amazing!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Yay! Regina's pics are some of my FAVORITES!
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
Tonyaandnate2013
Earning My Ears

I am catching up on all your updates. Things are coming along nicely.
Tonyaandnate2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
ShanaMouse
Mouseketeer

Reception Venue Update

Oh man, I am so excited to be working with Regina. I often find myself google-ing her work and I am so excited that my pics are going to look that awesome! I am glad all of you have positive feedback about her. We have our e-shoot later this month and I just wish it wasn't that far away.

I also put our save the dates in the mail so within the next week or so people will have them in their hands! I'm so excited because I finally feel like it's official with the actual save the dates mailed out.
--------------------------------
Now, I do have a bit of a reception venue update.
After looking into numerous restaurants for our reception (Il Mulino, Rainforest Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Garden Grove, etc) I think we have chosen the one we want and I am just waiting on the group dining manager to get back to me.
Oddly enough, this was never a restaurant that was on my list because I assumed we wouldn't be able to afford it, but after seeing the menus I was pleasantly surprised.
We chose to go with Todd English's Bluezoo restaurant at the Dolphin.
Liz emailed me numerous packages, drink options, minimums, and pictures, so if anyone wants info on the different dining menus with price i would be happy to post them.
They have private dining options and semi-private areas. We chose to go with the semi-private area, as the food and beverage minimum ($2000) is much lower than for the private one ($3600). Also, the private dining rooms hold a maximum number of 54 guests, and we are inviting about 74 at this time, so it's really not an option. I don't mind that the area isn't complete private, so it's all fine with me.
We chose to go with private dining menu 5, which includes a first course, main course, and dessert, but we are actually going to take off the dessert, as we will have a wedding cake. Here is the full menu:
First Course: Beet Salad... Walnut vinaigrette, goat cheese fondue
Main Course: Simply Fish... Warm dijon crab sauce, silky potatoes, hearts of palm OR heritage chicken... farro verde, english peas, eggplant parm puree
Dessert: Chocolate molten cake... raspberry ice cream chocolate cream and raspberry sauce

The price is $52.00 per person, but without the dessert its $45.00. She said if we bring in our cake they will provide a table, silverware, and plates and there is no cake cutting fee.
Of the 74 people we are inviting, we are expecting about 60. At $45.00 per person plus tax and gratuity we are looking at $3445.00, which is right up my alley
Additionally, as far as drinks are concerned, we are going to be including sodas, water, coffee, and tea, as well as the first alcoholic beverage of their choice (just a way to keep cost down). I'm still waiting on Liz to get back to me with the non-alcoholic beverage pricing.

TTYL
Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

Just caught up with your PJ. I think those save the dates are awesome! Also, I checked out the link for the harpist and she was amazing. She is definitely going to be an unique touch to your wedding. I don't have any personal experience with Regina, but in all my years of lurking here, I have never heard of anyone having a bad thing to say about her, and all the pictures I have seen were gorgeous!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Summer Daydream
Mouseketeer

I love your update. I made DF take me to Princesses on Ice a few years ago. He said never again, because we were literally the only couple there without kids and everyone kept looking at us a little bit oddly. I will try to convince him to go again because I'm a sucker for anything with Belle! I am so jealous that you can go to Disney just like that....and even more jealous of those pins! I stalk eBay religiously but only see ones for Disneyland. The only plus is I have a year a half to find them! Can't remember if I told you but I love the STDs!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: