Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

getting fit for your trip - a place to share & ramble

as per bec's suggestion, here is a lovely new thread just for us disers who are interested in getting a little more healthy, a little bit fitter etc.

feel free to rant, complain, share, encourage, motivate, support, fall off the wagon, get back on, get dizzy spells, experience the endorphin rush etc. this thread is for those of us who want to share & support each other with our fitness and health journey

so...

hi. my name is alicia and i'm an emotional eater.

(hi alicia)

i've hit rock bottom and am determined to get myself in shape. it's a long battle, but i wanna make it work. i have my bike and some willpower. i'm fine giving up carbs and sugar and fat and carbs and good stuff like cheese.

the thing i struggle with the most is soda. soft drink. coke. omg. the awesomeness that is the rich brown joy that is really chilled coke. it's hideously addictive, and probably most of the reason my butt and thighs are in the shape that they're in...

so my aim is to cut out soda as well. and if i can't cut it out altogether, to at least switch to coke zero (zero calories, zero fat, zero sugar) in the meantime to wean myself off the sugar & caffeine and to get to a water intake of approx 2 litres per day.

so... who else is with me??

Last edited by alicia1506; 06-17-2012 at 02:01 AM.
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
kyl
DIS Veteran

O.k I am in...but I have to share something with you first. I had a lap band for four years and had it removed 3mths ago. It worked really well at first but as the years got on it caused me more and more problems until it moved yikes. Anyway to cut a long story short the surgeon that did it, is a lovely guy and has been really supportive along this journey has offered to do another procedure called a gastic sleeve. I am having this done in 4wks!!! So I will be only 15wks post op when we leave, which he said will be fine. As I am a registered nurse I have really done my home work with this and know about 10 other nurses who have had it done with no complications and great outcomes. So some people say its cheating....yeah hello its cheating a early death thats what! I had high blood pressure, high sugar levels etc etc and my father died at age 53yrs from a heart attack. So since the band has been out my hunger has returned and then some....o.k 12kgs in 3mth! But I know there is light at the end of it...Sorry alicia hope I haven't crashed your thread.
WDW Art of Animation resort Nov 2012
WDW SSR one bedroom villa 2012
WDW Coronado Springs Resort Sept/Oct 2010
Disneyland Hotel Oct 2010
Disneyland Grand Californian Resort June 2009
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
kyl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post

hi. my name is alicia and i'm an emotional eater.

(hi alicia)

i've hit rock bottom and am determined to get myself in shape. it's a long battle, but i wanna make it work. i have my bike and some willpower. i'm fine giving up carbs and sugar and fat and carbs and good stuff like cheese.

the thing i struggle with the most is soda. soft drink. coke. omg. the awesomeness that is the rich brown joy that is really chilled coke. it's hideously addictive, and probably most of the reason my butt and thighs are in the shape that they're in...

so my aim is to cut out soda as well. and if i can't cut it out altogether, to at least switch to coke zero (zero calories, zero fat, zero sugar) in the meantime to wean myself off the sugar & caffeine and to get to a water intake of approx 2 litres per day.

so... who else is with me??
I'm in

My name is Bec and I am a sugar addict/food addict, full stomach addict

I love anything bad for you that tastes amazing.

Yoyo dieter, weight watchers escapee etc

I am attempting this after watching 60Minutes the other night and being shocked by the amount of sugar they said the average Aussie would consume per year (around 45kg)
My sister has PCOS and I have many of the symptoms although not officially diagnosed, when my weight fluctuates so do my cycles with anything up to 75 days, although at the moment sitting at 36 (now thats a nice normal number ) anyway TMI

So, I am cutting the sugar, the fat (not all of it), the carbs and will eat most of my daily intake as close to it's natural form, cutting out most importantly I think white sugar and high GI (am I leaving much LOL?)

So, tonight the spin bike kicked my butt, but I did a bit then came inside and did some cross trainer and floor exercises, it's better than sitting on the couch eating icecream (which is what I would normally do )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
O.k I am in...but I have to share something with you first. I had a lap band for four years and had it removed 3mths ago. It worked really well at first but as the years got on it caused me more and more problems until it moved yikes. Anyway to cut a long story short the surgeon that did it, is a lovely guy and has been really supportive along this journey has offered to do another procedure called a gastic sleeve. I am having this done in 4wks!!! So I will be only 15wks post op when we leave, which he said will be fine. As I am a registered nurse I have really done my home work with this and know about 10 other nurses who have had it done with no complications and great outcomes. So some people say its cheating....yeah hello its cheating a early death thats what! I had high blood pressure, high sugar levels etc etc and my father died at age 53yrs from a heart attack. So since the band has been out my hunger has returned and then some....o.k 12kgs in 3mth! But I know there is light at the end of it...Sorry alicia hope I haven't crashed your thread.
You know what, you do what you need to do, nobody lives your life, and who are others to judge?
I have contemplated looking into lapband further, but my problem is when people see me although I am overweight, others tell me I don't "look" huge, and I am obese (as far as numbers say) but i'm proportionally large (large all over), size 16-18 but at 5ft4in I look short and wide.
I am strong but unfit, but once I get in the zone I feel great.

This is a start for us, my aim is to not get my butt stuck in the airplane seat and have armrest marks in my hips

The more the merrier people, bring it on, we can do it!

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
BemaniAK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So some people say its cheating....yeah hello its cheating a early death thats what!
I can't say I'd enjoy having half my stomach stapled to replace good food and exercise but I totally get that the majority of people simply don't have the same amount of time or energy to put into it as others do, so I wouldn't call it cheating.
I'll just leave some points:
1. Read this: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh...heet_%28WIP%29

2. Try your hardest to find fun in the challenge, never try and find a comfort zone, always try and push yourself in your workouts, and try and get in the state of mind where you enjoy pushing yourself.

3. Never restrict yourself to pure Cardio if you're planning on losing a lot of weight, if all you do is cardio you'll be left with excess skin and you won't feel good about it, always try and fill that skin with muscle, tone it up, looking great and weighing 70 than going a few dress/shirt sizes down and feeling bad about excess skin.

4. Even the ladies should follow this rule, don't worry, you won't come out looking like a roided bodybuilder just by lifting weights.

5. Natural>Machines, the best case scenario for lifting and cardio is running, and lifting barbells and dumbells in an open space, part of the workout is keeping form, and machines do that for you, as far as running is concerned, you'll simply be doing longer workouts for the same turnout if you use a bike, if you have knee conditions or something that restricts running, bike is one of the best alternatives, however, always run if you can run.

6. Remember if you're in it for the long haul, your first month or so of working out is almost exclusively building up endurance, do not be put off if progress is slow at first.

7. Chuck the Coke away, Soft Drink is one of the worst things to consume as far as energy:fat ratio is concerned.

That's about all I can think of at the moment, might pop in again if any others pop into my mind.
BemaniAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Hi all

First, thanks so much for starting this thread, in fact, you must have read my mind. I had only been thinking how nice it would be to have others that understand and somewhere to share those thoughts.

So, without further ado......

My name is Sue and I am an over eater with bad habits. I eat the wrong foods and most of the time, at the wrong time! I work full time and like so many others out there, am flat out in my work. So it's a cup of tea for breakfast, no lunch and then by the time I get home, I am sitting down to my dinner at 7pm. Then, I will get something to snack on later which is usually around 10pm
I also suffer with an immune disorder called Lupus. I manage this most of the time with medication, but that in itself can be a problem. I try to avoid steroid medication where I can, but sometimes to carry on any sort of day to day activity, I have little choice. I never use that as an excuse for my bad eating habits though, that simply is my fault alone.
I am however, very active as I find this helps keep me moving easier. By active, I mean active and quite fit to boot although I just don't look it at all
I do at least 1 hour on the treadmill every day and alternate jog/walk. I have increased the distance a number of times and now am slowly increasing my speed. This has low impact on the old joints and I feel really good after I have completed a session!
I am limited to what I can do, as weight bearing exercises are out of the question! I have enough trouble lifting the shopping bags, let alone anything like a dumbell.
I have always been overweight, then got to obese and then morbidly obese. I find that term just horrible, but at 109 kilos, I suppose there is no other way to put it. My DH and I have been together for 24 years, and in all that time I have never been under the 100 kg mark. At my heaviest, I was 132 kilos...............happy to have shed some of that let me tell you!!!
My aim was to get under the 100 kilo mark before we went to Disneyland in October. I still hold out some hope.................I will just have to see how I go.
BUT, with you guys out there to help me along, I am hoping to make the journey for myself a little less painful!

So, here's to a new attitude, a new look, and new friends to share the highs and low along the way
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
kyl
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=BemaniAK;45178472]I can't say I'd enjoy having half my stomach stapled to replace good food and exercise but I totally get that the majority of people simply don't have the same amount of time or energy to put into it as others do, so I wouldn't call it cheating.

No having my stomach reduce is going to give me back my life. It is a tool to help, its not the total answer. They actually cut away the part of the stomach that produces hunger its called "ghrelin". They have done alot of research into this and found that yes some people do have more than others. The way to tell, look at your family tree. I know in my family many of us have struggled with our weight. Not everyone but about a third. I have put the "time and effort" in put I always feel hungry. I never feel full and if I do its for a very short period. It is something I have struggled with for most of my life. My grandmother, my cousin and my father all struggled with it. I just don't want to end up in an early grave like my father at 53yrs So yes I will still need to eat "good food and exercise". Its just that I will be satisfied with a smaller amount. Its not for eveyone I know that, but its also not a time saving or lazy way out. I think if you can lose weight though diet and exercise alone great, I wish I was could do that as well I have tried weight watches, naturapathaic treatements the list is endless. I am 5ft 3inc. And 100kg. I am classed as morbidly obese, its not something I am proud of and I hate that its not something that I can keep to myself. Every one sees it....they see me and I am over feeling self concious and living a half life. When I was a teenager I starved myself to 68kg so that I could "fit in" at school. I can't tell you how hungry I was all the time, I would wake up hungry it was awful more awful than being big. Needless to say I only lasted a couple of years like this then I started to pack it all back on. Thats my little story....I am really happy for those like I said who can do it the other way, I just wish it was me as well
WDW Art of Animation resort Nov 2012
WDW SSR one bedroom villa 2012
WDW Coronado Springs Resort Sept/Oct 2010
Disneyland Hotel Oct 2010
Disneyland Grand Californian Resort June 2009
(Me DW) (DH)(DD13) :
(DD9) (DS5)
kyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Hello my name is Bec and I snack a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
the thing i struggle with the most is soda. soft drink. coke. omg. the awesomeness that is the rich brown joy that is really chilled coke. it's hideously addictive,
Yes! This exactly.

However while I might cut it down I'm not going to cut it out. My weight is very manageable and if that changes then this might too, but I feel the amount of endorphins it releases outweighs the sugar intake. Sorry, I know this doesn't help with this thread, but I've said my piece!

I'm trying to cut back on the crap I eat to help clear up my complexion. I have worse skin now then what I did when I was a teenager

My "excuse" is that I have ulcerative colitis and while there's little I love more then fruits, salads, yoghurts, etc. I can't eat too much of them without my stomach playing up. Plain bland food (read: carbs) are great for me though - luckily I love them, and there's nothing I enjoy more then getting home from the gym to eat a potato packed meal One of my favourite cold weather meals is a beef casserole with many chunks of potato served over a bed of pasta! I love to carbo load...

Before my wedding I had this amazing diet - round meals with no snacking, no added sugar (except coke) - doing everything right - really a nutritionist's dream. Except I found out that I lack salt, so I had to start drinking sports drinks - or having the occasional packet of chips to stop myself from getting excruciating night cramps.

Then I went to WDW and my old habits came creeping back... I snack on chocolate and chips and biscuits very regularly. Last weekend I made a batch of brownies and topped it with chocolate frosting and mini m&ms (still not helping am I?) and then proceeded to eat the whole thing over the 3 days...

My problem is not having enough healthy options for lunch. I can't eat enough fruit to fill me up, or I'll get sick. So I have to have maybe a piece of fruit, and then a tin of tuna, the next day I need to have something plain, so maybe chicken noodles , the next day I could have a tuna salad, but then the next day I'd need something plain again... This is where I start snacking, I'd pick up a pack of chips and munch on them while I stare into the pantry Then I'd realise the saltiness of these chips would go really well with some chocolate

Lately I've started having the alfredo etc. single serves, which are really yummy, but again I can't have them 2 days in a row or the dairy in the wrecks havoc

If DH lived at home during the week and not just of a weekend I'd have left overs to enjoy, but because he doesn't I usually eat dinner over at my mum's and therefore don't get any.

What does everyone else eat for lunch?

I have a confession - I've already eaten a twirl this morning, and now I'm eyeing off a sour strap...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

OK... I had the sour strap...

Well it was more like 3...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
CairnsGirl
Earning My Ears

Hi all!,

I'm am an avid reader of the disboards, even through I do not post very often.

I too have been on the diet treadmill all my life and could have shares in weight watchers by now!

I am a walker and enjoy a brisk walk for an hour every morning.

I have tried to shed the weight for years. I got hold of the Davis Gillespie book 'Sweet Poison" and weaned myself of sugar. I have also dropped 10 kilos with no major hunger pains.

I no longer crave the sweet things I used to and have got rid of my headaches. I feel fantastic and hope to lose another 10 kilos by next year for my USA holiday.

I do indulge occasionally on a dessert or chocolate but find I don't crave it any more. I love being sugar free!

The USA holiday will be a time to splurge on all the goodies in the USA. After I get back I will keep up my sugar free diet.

Good luck to everyone trying to shed the kilos, I know how hard it is!!
CairnsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
BemaniAK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
words
I can already tell where this thread is going to be in 5 pages.
BemaniAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
LizfromOz
Mouseketeer

I've been a yoyo dieter all my life. I have no medical reasons, I'm just a guts-ache. I eat when I'm happy and when I'm sad. I also tend to eat when I'm bored. At my lightest I was 62kg and 112kg at my heaviest. Last January I started to eat less and move more and have gone from 108kg to my current weight of 94kg, which is still too heavy for my 5ft 2 inch body.

Ideally, I would like to drop another 5-10kg before our trip in mid September, but I am getting more excited by the day and I eat when I'm excited too

Like MinnieSue, I am quite active ( i work as a teacher's aide with special needs kids and in the office at a school), and also try and get to the gym 4 times a week, so stamina is not a problem. I can only imagine the size I would be if I didn't move my butt

I just love yummy food!! Beignets, churros, In and Out burgers...aaarghh

To borrow a phrase from Marjorie Dawe, I'm a fat cow, fat cow, lol.
LizfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BemaniAK View Post
I can already tell where this thread is going to be in 5 pages.
Maybe i am reading this wrong but this sounds kinda snarky and judgemental ... This really is not the place for judgements...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

Well, not so much noticing a change on the scales but can definately tell im slowly loosing weight. My tummy's looking flatter and im no longer getting the horrible bloating that I used to!! Can't wait for the scales to catch up and get to my goal weight for summer! Woo!
KiwiMouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMouseGirl View Post
Well, not so much noticing a change on the scales but can definately tell im slowly loosing weight. My tummy's looking flatter and im no longer getting the horrible bloating that I used to!! Can't wait for the scales to catch up and get to my goal weight for summer! Woo!
If I'm lucky I'll be at my goal weight next winter...

I'm shrinking too, I should do what Bec said and take measurements

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
5ofus
DIS Veteran

I took measurements last year when I was edging up to my fatty-boom-bah weight. If the kids hadn't played lasoo with my tape measure, I could measure myself to see the difference :lol: Guess it's time for a new one

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: