Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Terapin's Journal: Couch to Goofy to DOPEY!

Hi! My name is Carolynn and I'm transforming.

I'm 39, a mother of three, I own a thriving and busy business and am a midwife who works long, long hours. I have a terrific and supportive partner.

Since having kids I have watched my weight climb, my energy plummet, and I have really struggled with fitting fitness into my life. As much as I hate to admit it, I felt like a blob. Part of my identity is as a strong and tall and healthy woman, so it was hard to face that I was now blobby.

I am a Weight Watchers drop-out (just too much work and focus for my measly .5 lb a week loss) x2. My body is clinging on to my fat like crazy (I'd be perfect in a famine - just got those 'hang on for dear life' fat cells). I think WW is a really sound and practical program - it just requires such a slow and steady burn of motivation and perseverance. I'm just not that person.

Even as a very fit little chickie of 18, where I was biking to and from work across town every day rain, sleet and snow, I struggled with weight, despite eating really well. As a teenager I experimented with anorexia and bulemia and that was the only way I could be thin - clearly self-destructive - and I was able to resume normal life.

So now, I have embraced my tall, big-breasted, little pouchy tummy, AWESOME self, and I am choosing ACTIVITY.

I love food. Good, yummy, organic food of all kinds. My favourites are Japanese and Indian. I can cook anything! I've tried to steer my kids away from my obesity by instilling great food from an early age. We eat a lot of organic and fresh foods, drink raw milk, purchase grain-fed organic beef by the side, and try to eat as much food from scratch as is practical. My career does a number on the family as far as predictability and timing, so we sometimes order pizza (from a local bakery) and eat out a couple times a month, but we try to balance. We indulge in junk food occasionally, but overall, I think we eat really well.

So how did I become 270 pounds?

Well, however it happened, I'm going to change it.

I started running (well, that is too generous. I move faster than walking, with both feet off the ground sometime in my stroke, but I don't think it's really running! But I will call it running because it is much faster than my walk!). I'm on week 7 day 1 today of the Running Room Learn to Run program. YAY! I'm doing it!

I'm now up to 5:1 intervals (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!! ME: RUNNING FOR 5 MINUTES!). It's pretty comfortable. Tonight I start 6:1s. And it is going to be about 30C/95F during class tonight. Oy Vey.

I was pretty disappointed that my weight started going up as I started to run. I gained about 5 pounds and was feeling pretty sorry for myself. But logic prevailed, I figured it was just muscle mass taking over blobbiness, and I figured I would just stick to it. Today, my lovely scale showed me down from 270 (#%@$$&) to 264. YAY! My BMI is 38. I'm going to count down the BMI as incentive. Only 4 more pounds and I'll be a 37.

Ultimately I want to be below 200 lbs. I felt great at that weight - that will make my BMI a 28. Not ideal, but where I feel good in my skin.

One of my problems (and this is a bit embarrassing) is that I got the big **** gene. I mean, like specialty-store-bra-only big knockers. I'm really hoping that losing weight will tame my lovelies into just 'buxom'. It will, right?

I have really bad feet - completely without arches. When my feet were made the arches got left out. I suck water on wet floors with my feet. AND they are size 11. So when I went to get fitted for running shoes the best pair ended up being Brooks "THE BEAST". Talk about adding insult to injury: fat woman starting to run, can't find running clothes, and has to wear shoes called THE BEAST. And they are men's shoes because my local store doesn't stock women's size 12 shoes. They are fugly. But, they are comfy. So I sucked it up and have the ugliest running feet ever.

My last thing to tell you: I signed up for a 5k September 10. Oh yes I did! With my sister. We're going to do it together. I'm so PROUD of us!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Last edited by Terapin; 03-26-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Terapin
DIS Veteran

This is me:

Last edited by Terapin; 07-19-2011 at 09:28 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Terapin
DIS Veteran

And another (this was taken January 2010 - I look the same):

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, last night's run wasn't fabulous. It was hot out. I was fine for the first 6 minute interval, did ok on the second, but the third I had to stop for a few seconds a couple of times. I felt myself getting a bit stumbly. But I finished the whole 21 minutes smiling, and felt good about my overall speed and endurance. I'm going to keep going!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I found this article summary:

Citation: Harris, G.K., Baer, D.J. 2007. Gender Differences in Body Fat Utilization During Weight Gain, Loss, or Maintenance. In: Preuss, H. G. , Bagchi, D., editors. Phytopharmaceuticals for Obesity Treatment. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. p. 239-244.

Interpretive Summary: This chapter describes how men and women are different when it comes to gaining, losing or maintaining body fat. Men and women store fat in different places and use it in different ways as an energy source. Men tend to store fat in the stomach area, while women tend to store it in the thigh area. Men burn more calories than women, even when they are resting. During exercise, women burn more fat than men, but men burn more fat than women at rest. Eating too many calories can cause anyone to become fatter, but the type of food eaten may be especially important for women. The more fat women eat, the more likely they are to have too much body fat. On the other hand, the more carbohydrates women eat, the less likely they are to have too much body fat. Exercise by itself seems to be a good way of maintaining or losing body fat in men, but not in women. In fact, women who burn more total calories (calories burned at rest + calories burned during exercise) also have higher body fat levels. Some scientists believe that women eat more when they exercise, while men do not. This has not been proven, however. Overall, the data suggest that women gain and retain body fat more readily than men, independent of physical activity level. This chapter will be of interest to scientists and health professionals interested in weight control and weight loss.

Doesn't make it sound easy for women trying to lose weight?

I bought a body fat composition scale. The good news is my visceral fat is ok. The bad news is that my overall fat percentage is gigantic. Well, I bought it to give me some better data about weight loss progress, so here I go!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, I was doubting that it would happen because my body was being stubborn, but my weight is DOWN!!!! Today my scale said 260.5. Yay! Made that BMI goal! Just 7 more pounds and I'll be a 36!

Had a GREAT run yesterday - was doing 6:1 intervals of running:walking and not only did I manage to make it through the full 6 minutes, I actually didn't hear my interval timer and went over, including by a full minute so ran 6/6/7! The run was actually pretty easy (it was nice and cool last night with a breeze) but I am so slooooooow. I am running about a 16 minute mile. My plan is to get up to 10:1s then work on my speed a bit.

Anyways, feeling good today!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
BabyTigger99
The most beautiful words in the world?
Complete Remission!!!!

I love that song!!!! But it just drips of gouda!!!

Wow!! Great job!!! Keep up the good work!!!
BabyTigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good afternoon!

Scale reading a wee bit higher, and I was surprised at the big weight loss last week, so I think I was artificially low as all this week I have been around 262. In any case, the trend is DOWN!

Had a good run last night: 8:1/8:1/8:4. Ran a 16 minute pace, ran 1.4 miles. My running class meets on Tuesday and I need to get one more run in before class to keep up with our target. Unfortunately this week it is 10:1s!

I have one more class after that one, and then I will be a graduate of the Learn to Run! I'm going to join right away into a 5k class to keep going and to help me get more ready for my 5k race in September.

I have a little group of 4 people that are running together: me, my sister, a dear client for whom I was her midwife for 3 of her kids, and her friend. It will be nice to have the company and support.

I've started to need the anti-chafe balm for my longer runs because one foot is getting chafed in one spot by my socks, even different running socks. I hope this balm stuff works.

Thank you for the reply and encouragement!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
sillylily
DIS Veteran

Just wandered over and found your journal, and read the whole thing in one sitting! You're doing an amazing job! I'm a relatively new runner, and your journal is just inspiring!

sillylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Thank you SillyLily! It is really nice to have someone post, too!

I tried stand-up paddleboarding for the first time last week on Thursday! It was super fun. I didn't fall into the water, so that is a good thing! Quite wobbly at times but I made it through! It was such a good workout for my legs - they were burning when I was done. Lots of little accessory muscles at work trying to keep balance.

I have had such a busy birth work week. Lots and lots of Mamas birthing. I managed to get in my scheduled 4k run yesterday after a few hours sleep after being up all night Friday through Saturday. I ran pretty slow, and walked the last km just because I wanted to go easy. I had been on my feet about 26 hours straight before I got some sleep, so my legs were a bit weary. Brisk walking was a nice treat.

This morning I am up nice and early for my running class run of 14k. I have never run this far! I am a bit nervous. Last week was 12k. I'm going to take it nice and easy and see what I can do. It is cool so far (16c/61f) but it will warm up. Just having a coffee. Had a breakfast of oatmeal and applesauce.

Not sure about the KT tape. I find the hill training very hard on my knees. Not sure if it helped or made it worse. Will use today for my long run and see how I feel later.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Update: 14k dooooooooooone! Knees feel much more comfortable! Having steak for dinner (yay!) then out to do 3 visits.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Terapin
DIS Veteran

So happy! Hit 210 this morning which means that I have lost 60#! It has taken exactly 60 weeks. I'm feeling super good. I'd like to get down to about 185, so 25 more to go. Perhaps 175, but I think I will stop trying to lose weight at 185 and just see where my body goes.

Here are my updated measurements with loss from 8 weeks ago:
Waist: 37.0 (down 1")
Hips: 44.5 (down .5" and I don't carry much weight here so don't expect to see much more coming off here)
bust: 46.0 (down 1.5" - yay for regular size bras now!)

Total loss: 3" in 2 months. Total loss in 8 months: 20"!!!!

Today is a rest day - yay! Got some core in after my run. Will do upper body and more core today. Happy to rest my legs though: a little stiff and sore after my long run. I hope that as I up the mileage that doesn't get worse: as of yet I don't feel any worse after longer and longer runs. Suffice to say I am stiff enough to walk down stairs needing the handrail but it isn't over the top. I could walk down without the handrail, but I feel more comfortable with it. I kinda feel like you feel when you have been in bed sick for a few days: a little sore and a little stiff.

My knees are definitely better with the KT tape for my long runs. I think that it doesn't work for the hill training though.

Any way, happy to post a happy result!

Taking the kids to see Timothy Green with my sister and her kids. Debating popcorn or no popcorn. LOL

Copied this from another post I made because I thought it would be good for my journal:
My 14k run went well. I didn't have enough water so I needed to stop off for some water at a convenience store . I am a slow runner: it took me 2 hours in total, but it was a LSD and my longest run ever, so I am just happy I finished and felt good afterwards. I usually do my LSD at about 8:00/km but this was slow even for me. It was not a flat route, and there was a monster hill that I walked briskly. Mostly I did 10:1s but did take a few longer walk breaks to fuel up as I don't like running and eating goo. I want to run comfortable, not all dripping with goo and with my mouth all sugary.

I used about half a pack of Honey Stingers gel candy thingies, one PowerBar gel, and a Nuun tablet in my water. I had three running water bottles - I needed a fourth. So I stopped at the c-store and bought a vitamin water as a treat with only 3k left to go. Was gooooooood and cold. I think that I need to get some salt tablets for these longer runs, after I do some research, although everything that I ate/drank had sodium in it. My shirt and face and grossly, my running shorts, were all encrusted with salt stains when I was done. HOTNESS! I think I did a good job of the fuelling and hydration in the end because I had a decent pee when I got home that was light (TMI?) and felt pretty good. I am recognizing the signs of being in need of fuel on a run: a little foggy brained, and my muscles feel heavy, and I feel weary. Luckily I have had no stomach upset at all so far, except a wee bit after chugging some of that vitamin water crap.

I think I need a hydration pack as the kilometers creep up. More than 3 of those little water bottles feels clunky and heavy around my waist. Yay! More money spent on running gear! Ack!

Last edited by Terapin; 08-20-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran

I just finished your whole journal and you are an inspiration! Can't wait to read more Carolynn! You rock!

Me (25)DF (33) *DF's Kids*:DSS12DSD11DSD10 DSS6
Met on the DIS, and going strong
Our Planning Journal

May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip
lyncecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

Unfortunately I have missed two scheduled runs due to work. Going to make up one tonight. I missed Wednesday hills and my Thursday steady run. I will do the steady one tonight. 7k I believe. Tomorrow is another steady run and Sunday is 16k LSD.

Work has been crazy! I got called Wednesday morning and have basically been going since. I did sleep last night which was great! I had three clients birth within 20 hours, and had a full clinic day yesterday which saw me up at 6am and not home until 9pm last night. On 4 hours sleep and a very long day I just couldn't run. However I am well slept and eager to go tonight and all weekend.

My next race is a 5k in Yorkville, which is a boutique area of Toronto where there are fancy restaurants, high-end stores, and frequent celebrity sightings. The Toronto International Film Festival is also starting up around the same time, so it looks like fun and quite different from what I have done before. I am doing it with one of my dear client friends - she also did the Energizer Night Race with mr way back last September,ber. The medal looks amazing, and the Tshirt comes in a designer gym bag. I kinda signed up for the swag and the medal - LOL. The timing is nice because it is a year from my first 5k and I know I will do much better than the 48 minutes my first 5k took. Nice for a photo of the difference in me. It is Sept 9.

Then I am doing the Toronto Zoo Oasis 10k on Sept 14. I'm trying tonget my sister to sign up for this so she can get a better corral placement for the WDW half in January.

Then it is the Tower of Terror race 16k Sept 28!

Weight is sitting (ugh) at 212. Haven't been working on it too much this week other than to make smart food choices as I can. Not too much sugar, a little carbolicious this week, but good protein and fruits and veggies. My body doesn't not shed fat easily. Even with good kilometers on my feet and a busy lifestyle with good eating I struggle to shed weight. Oh well, gotta work with what you have! My body is pretty amazing in other ways so I gotta be grateful. Looking at some of the race photos I feel a little subconscious, especially of belly fat. I know I am working on it and have come far but I am judgmental of my own body. I hope to one day better appreciate the esthetics of my own body and face. I'm lucky to have a partner who thinks I am sexy and one of the best looking people around (ain't love grand?).

Well, my coffee is almost done and I have to get ready for another day of clinic and hose visits.

Hope you have a great day!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, I didn't do my run last night. I was sooooo tired. So I am going to extend my 5k scheduled run this morning and try to run back some of those lost kilometers. Work should ease up. Tomorrow is 16k.

Weight is up a bit - can't believe it is due to just 2 missed runs. I ate a lot of salty foods in the last few days and some pretty dense foods. Thought I was doing ok but apparently not. However, I am up to about 214 so it can't be just food - I didn't eat 6000 extra calories! I am mid-cycle, so maybe it is that, too. Anyways, will do my two long runs this weekend and re-weigh on Monday, and should see everything back down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: