Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Emetophobia (fear of vomiting) Support

Anyone living in fear of being sick?? If you are a vomit phobe this is the place to be. Share your stories and concerns here.

I'll start.....I am a 38 yr old Mom of 2 and I am phobic of vomiting. I cannot handling someone else doing it or myself. I live in constant fear of catching the stomach bug and try to stay home all winter when it is at its worst. I make my kids wash their hands as soon as they come in my house from anywhere they have been, and have taught them never to put their hands in their mouths EVER! I have also taught them to use caution in public bathrooms and never flush the toilet with their hand. They use their foot and then use a paper towel to touch sink faucets and door handles when leaving the bathroom. I rarely let the kids have a playdate at my house in the winter and forgot sleepovers! Anyone else as OCD or worse than me??? There is more to my story..........
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been living with a form of Emet for years that is not the norm, and no one understands it. My family is sick of me constantly worrying about them vomiting, and I get made fun of all of the time for the habits I've formed because of this phobia/OCD. Once you started that other thread about movies that show people vomiting, I could see a bunch of other "emets" coming on to comment. Hopefully they will find their way over here.

I'm a 39-yr old mom of 2 boys, ages 10 & 13. My sons are big pukers. They catch every stomach bug and worse than that, the older one gets motion sick, car sick & has moderate reflux that causes him to vomit about an hour after he falls asleep, if he's eaten too close to bed, or has eaten too much junk. The younger one gets migraines that make him vomit. So I am quite used to vomit. It happens every month here. I'm fine seeing them vomit (I can eat while they do it, hold their heads, etc) and I'm fine cleaning it up (well to the extent that anyone can, I certainly don't enjoy it). I'm have no emet issues about myself vomiting.

My strange form of emet is that I have severe anxiety that my kids are going to vomit. I have no idea if it stems from them doing it so frequently or not. I'm worried when they're home, when they're at school & especially if they're at a friend's house. I try to avoid sleepovers at all costs. If they do go to a slepover I'm so anxious that I barely sleep - I'm just waiting for the phone to ring that they threw up. I am mega anxious on a plane, a long car ride or a Disney bus - so anxious that I carry zip lock bags in my purse & have them within reach at all times in case I need to act fast. Isn't that nuts? I don't know anyone else that does that, and I get made fun of all the time about it. I will say though that the ziplock bags have saved a nasty accident many times from one of them being sick. I also have ziplock bags in the seats of the vehicles in case they need them.

I'm not sure if mine is more a phobia or OCD. OCD does run in my family. I watch all these OCD shows & just feel so bad for the people suffering. Sometimes their form of OCD seems so absurd - then I realize mine seems absurd to most as well. OCD is real, it's stuck in our brains, and it just won't go away. A good word for it is "consuming." My thoughts are just consumed with the fear of my kids throwing up for a good part of the day (and all of the night).

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
I'm in!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been living with a form of Emet for years that is not the norm, and no one understands it. My family is sick of me constantly worrying about them vomiting, and I get made fun of all of the time for the habits I've formed because of this phobia/OCD. Once you started that other thread about movies that show people vomiting, I could see a bunch of other "emets" coming on to comment. Hopefully they will find their way over here.

I'm a 39-yr old mom of 2 boys, ages 10 & 13. My sons are big pukers. They catch every stomach bug and worse than that, the older one gets motion sick, car sick & has moderate reflux that causes him to vomit about an hour after he falls asleep, if he's eaten too close to bed, or has eaten too much junk. The younger one gets migraines that make him vomit. So I am quite used to vomit. It happens every month here. I'm fine seeing them vomit (I can eat while they do it, hold their heads, etc) and I'm fine cleaning it up (well to the extent that anyone can, I certainly don't enjoy it). I'm have no emet issues about myself vomiting.

My strange form of emet is that I have severe anxiety that my kids are going to vomit. I have no idea if it stems from them doing it so frequently or not. I'm worried when they're home, when they're at school & especially if they're at a friend's house. I try to avoid sleepovers at all costs. If they do go to a slepover I'm so anxious that I barely sleep - I'm just waiting for the phone to ring that they threw up. I am mega anxious on a plane, a long car ride or a Disney bus - so anxious that I carry zip lock bags in my purse & have them within reach at all times in case I need to act fast. Isn't that nuts? I don't know anyone else that does that, and I get made fun of all the time about it. I will say though that the ziplock bags have saved a nasty accident many times from one of them being sick. I also have ziplock bags in the seats of the vehicles in case they need them.

I'm not sure if mine is more a phobia or OCD. OCD does run in my family. I watch all these OCD shows & just feel so bad for the people suffering. Sometimes their form of OCD seems so absurd - then I realize mine seems absurd to most as well. OCD is real, it's stuck in our brains, and it just won't go away. A good word for it is "consuming." My thoughts are just consumed with the fear of my kids throwing up for a good part of the day (and all of the night).
Tara...I dont think you have emetophobia at all. I think what you suffer from is the fear of public embarassment. Sounds like you worry about the humiliation that goes with it if it happens anywhere other than the bathroom toilet. Do I make sense? There is no way on this earth I could ever be in the same room with anyone vomiting. I would just FREAK out! I tend to have the flight response and its completely out of my control. The terror I feel when someone vomits is compared to being hung upside down over the edge of a sky scraper. Kind of crazy huh?? If I have to throw up, I will take anti nausea meds and pace my house praying til it goes away. I will NOT let it happen. The whole act just completely grosses me out to the point of fear. I wish I could handle someone else doing it, would make my life a lot more free.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
TaraPA

lukenick1 -hmmmm you may be on to something there because I'm also not convinced I have emet - not the traditional emet anyway. Whatever I have is definitely related to vomit thought - I have zero fears of my kids getting hurt or sick in any way other than vomiting. I can't say it's totally "in public" related because I worry every night. Every....single....night. And during the day too - but as it gets closer to bedtime I'm watching them like a hawk - if they seem pale or they're not acting right I'm starting to panic that they're going to throw up. I know, it seems unreasonable, but it's stuck in my head.

I would do anything to make it go away. You can't understand the anxiety (well - maybe YOU can!) - it's so real that it causes me to do odd things because of it - for example, I make excuses to go check on the kids 10 times before I go to sleep, just to see if they seem "ok." This drives DH nuts. I also make sure the TV volume is super low after they go to bed, so I can hear if anyone throws up or calls for me. If DS13 is at a sleepover I make excuses to call or text him at night, just to hear that he's ok & hasn't thrown up. I make excuses to have towels over their pillows when they sleep so clean-up will be easier. Here's the habit that gets the most ridicule from friends & family - I make sure they have a bowl (just a medium Tupperware bowl) and their garbage cans right by their beds. The bowl I actually put above their pillow. Just in case. The bowl has saved me 3 times already from having to strip a bed in the middle of the night full of vomit. There's not much worse than that. So I continue to keep the bowls there even when they're feeling fine. I'm giving my kids a complex, I know it, but if that bowl isn't there when I tuck them in, I can't sleep. That must seem bizarre to people. But to me, it's real. So maybe I have a phobia of cleaning up vomit that makes me do these odd things? I've cleaned it up hundreds of times though, and it doesn't phase me.

But I think you're right, if it's Emet I have, it's not the normal emet. There's some other phobia, or like I said before, OCD or anxiety, that is there too. It just plain sucks!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
acejka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
lukenick1 -hmmmm you may be on to something there because I'm also not convinced I have emet - not the traditional emet anyway. Whatever I have is definitely related to vomit thought - I have zero fears of my kids getting hurt or sick in any way other than vomiting. I can't say it's totally "in public" related because I worry every night. Every....single....night. And during the day too - but as it gets closer to bedtime I'm watching them like a hawk - if they seem pale or they're not acting right I'm starting to panic that they're going to throw up. I know, it seems unreasonable, but it's stuck in my head.

I would do anything to make it go away. You can't understand the anxiety (well - maybe YOU can!) - it's so real that it causes me to do odd things because of it - for example, I make excuses to go check on the kids 10 times before I go to sleep, just to see if they seem "ok." This drives DH nuts. I also make sure the TV volume is super low after they go to bed, so I can hear if anyone throws up or calls for me. If DS13 is at a sleepover I make excuses to call or text him at night, just to hear that he's ok & hasn't thrown up. I make excuses to have towels over their pillows when they sleep so clean-up will be easier. Here's the habit that gets the most ridicule from friends & family - I make sure they have a bowl (just a medium Tupperware bowl) and their garbage cans right by their beds. The bowl I actually put above their pillow. Just in case. The bowl has saved me 3 times already from having to strip a bed in the middle of the night full of vomit. There's not much worse than that. So I continue to keep the bowls there even when they're feeling fine. I'm giving my kids a complex, I know it, but if that bowl isn't there when I tuck them in, I can't sleep. That must seem bizarre to people. But to me, it's real. So maybe I have a phobia of cleaning up vomit that makes me do these odd things? I've cleaned it up hundreds of times though, and it doesn't phase me.

But I think you're right, if it's Emet I have, it's not the normal emet. There's some other phobia, or like I said before, OCD or anxiety, that is there too. It just plain sucks!
There is NO sleeping in this house without a clear path to both bathrooms, the front door, a liner in the big trash can, the sink clear and cans with liners by the bedside. I don't think its freaky, just prepared, I mean really, who wants to get up and clean up puke when a trashcan could have left it all avoided.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
TaraPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejka View Post
There is NO sleeping in this house without a clear path to both bathrooms, the front door, a liner in the big trash can, the sink clear and cans with liners by the bedside. I don't think its freaky, just prepared, I mean really, who wants to get up and clean up puke when a trashcan could have left it all avoided.
Hmmm ok so it's not just me that likes to be prepared - I like to be a step ahead of a puker!

Another odd thing I do is that I make sure both the washer & dryer are empty before I go to bed - in case I have to wash bedding during the night.

I agree - why take the chance of a mess when it can be avoided? We go to our family's cabin a few times a year. There are anywhere from 10-20 other family members there, and we all share the same room to sleep. It's the whole 2nd floor of the cabin, with beds all over the place. This causes me SO MUCH stress & anxiety that I've either not planned to go, or have left early because I can't take it. I DO take the bowl - and get ridiculed every time about it - but seriously - with the history of puking my kids have - would they want to have to deal with it in a room where they are sleeping??? DS13 did throw up in bed there once when he was 3 - so to me it's very very real. I don't sleep while we're there unless I nap during the day - I just can't get settled at night because of the anxiety - waiting for one of them to vomit. Waiting....waiting....waiting.....it's so CONSUMING!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes maybe its the anticipation of the mess that worries you or maybe even that they may choke on it? From what your telling me, maybe you feel more in control of the situation when your are there with them. With you not being in the same room, or when they are out of the house you are not in control of the situation. Make sense?? Are you a control freak??? I know I am
Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
TaraPA

Am I control freak....

I am the BIGGEST control freak! And I have zero control over them vomiting...it's just not right!! I should be able to control that!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
acejka
DIS Veteran

Hi guys,

I'm along for the ride. I'm emetophobic too. It sucks. Life sucks living like this.

I'm currently doing my own version of exposure therapy-if it is on tv or a movie I will force myself to watch it, sometimes even rewind the scene and watch a couple times to force my mind to know that it is "ok" If we are in public and my husband sees any he will reroute my attention, I feel like everytime we go to wdw (we are local) the first thing I spot is puke or a puker. UGGGH.

I've come a long way, I used to not be able to even go to the movies but now I'm like ehh whatever. If his old dog (she was 15 and on her way to passing) gagged I would flip out, after she passed and we got married we got our own dogs-one of which is a puker. It doesn't bother me at all with them, I guess because they are my "babies" she even puked on my head once, my first thought was damn in now i have to shower, and i didn't want to go to bed with wet hair-no freaking out, crying or anxiety attacks I just hit the shower-I've even gotten up in the middle of dinner to clean up after her with no issues. This is BIG for me.

I still always wear headphones in a public bathroom in case anyone is yakking in there, and I got through wet ones at warp speed. I'm terrified of the stomach flu.

I haven't had kids yet-I'm still too scared of morning sickness yet, and I am still terrified of puking myself. I want to be done with this horrible crippling condition, I'm sick of having my life controlled.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejka View Post
Hi guys,

I'm along for the ride. I'm emetophobic too. It sucks. Life sucks living like this.

I'm currently doing my own version of exposure therapy-if it is on tv or a movie I will force myself to watch it, sometimes even rewind the scene and watch a couple times to force my mind to know that it is "ok" If we are in public and my husband sees any he will reroute my attention, I feel like everytime we go to wdw (we are local) the first thing I spot is puke or a puker. UGGGH.

I've come a long way, I used to not be able to even go to the movies but now I'm like ehh whatever. If his old dog (she was 15 and on her way to passing) gagged I would flip out, after she passed and we got married we got our own dogs-one of which is a puker. It doesn't bother me at all with them, I guess because they are my "babies" she even puked on my head once, my first thought was damn in now i have to shower, and i didn't want to go to bed with wet hair-no freaking out, crying or anxiety attacks I just hit the shower-I've even gotten up in the middle of dinner to clean up after her with no issues. This is BIG for me.

I still always wear headphones in a public bathroom in case anyone is yakking in there, and I got through wet ones at warp speed. I'm terrified of the stomach flu.

I haven't had kids yet-I'm still too scared of morning sickness yet, and I am still terrified of puking myself. I want to be done with this horrible crippling condition, I'm sick of having my life controlled.
Welcome!!!! You are definitely not alone! I was also ok with my dog being sick. Guess because it's not human it was safe for me . I took antidepressants 2 years ago and I do think it helped with my panic. I remember seeing someone vomit on TV without warning and I didn't get that panic feeling inside, it was more like....eeew gross and changed the channel. Since I am not taking them i do notice that acute panic with rapid heart rate and butterly sick feeling in my stomach when I see it. I stopped taking the med because it made me soooo exhausted all the time, I was like a Zombie.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
NixiePixie
Earning My Ears

I never knew there was an actual name for this!! I have been scared of people vomiting my whole entire life. I went to school to be a nurse (LOL), but have put it on hold because I have yet to find an area I can work in that doesn't involve people vomiting. I wanted to be a lactation consultant , but was warned that I would come across women that were sick from the meds after a csection. I am not sure I will continue the certification process. I have tried to desensitize myself by watching videos of people vomiting on Youtube. Hasn't worked. It practically gives me a panic attack. I cannot be around someone who is going to vomit. I completely panic. I have to get away. If I couldn't get away from the situation, I am sure I would completely freak out. I go to great lengths to make sure I am not in that situation. I don't go to bars. I don't go to amusement parks. I refuse to ride in a car with people who say they get carsick. We do have an up and coming Disney vacation planned. I am completely nervous that I will be around someone that gets sick. I am not letting my family ride rides that I think could cause motion sickness like the teacups or Mission Space. Just thinking about this is starting to get me panicky. My family thinks I am crazy and makes fun of me, but I truly can't help it.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixiePixie View Post
I never knew there was an actual name for this!! I have been scared of people vomiting my whole entire life. I went to school to be a nurse (LOL), but have put it on hold because I have yet to find an area I can work in that doesn't involve people vomiting. I wanted to be a lactation consultant , but was warned that I would come across women that were sick from the meds after a csection. I am not sure I will continue the certification process. I have tried to desensitize myself by watching videos of people vomiting on Youtube. Hasn't worked. It practically gives me a panic attack. I cannot be around someone who is going to vomit. I completely panic. I have to get away. If I couldn't get away from the situation, I am sure I would completely freak out. I go to great lengths to make sure I am not in that situation. I don't go to bars. I don't go to amusement parks. I refuse to ride in a car with people who say they get carsick. We do have an up and coming Disney vacation planned. I am completely nervous that I will be around someone that gets sick. I am not letting my family ride rides that I think could cause motion sickness like the teacups or Mission Space. Just thinking about this is starting to get me panicky. My family thinks I am crazy and makes fun of me, but I truly can't help it.
Welcome!!! I am just like you. I am petrified of someone vomiting. I automatically get that flight response and I run! I have no control over it. Its just my immediate reaction. I feel horrible that I run away from my own children if they are sick. I think my oldest has developed this fear from seeing my reaction. I have tried so hard not to let them in on my secret but my body language alone is a dead give away . I will eventually tell my son who is now 10 about my phobia so he understands why i am not able to comfort him when he is vomiting. Can you handle yourself being sick? I have shear panic when I feel like vomiting too. I also avoid amusement parks, emergency rooms, car pooling, boats, etc. Not a good way to live because I become a hermit all winter long while the stomach bug is out
Old 02-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
NixiePixie
Earning My Ears

I am not too bad if I am sick myself. Of course, I will do everything in my power not to get sick because I hate the feeling of vomiting. I will repeat in my head over and over "mind over matter", take big deep breaths, try and convince myself I am not sick, etc. to try and not get sick. In the end, I probably end up making myself sicker.

I know the feeling of being "on high alert". My oldest son had/has a very weak cardiac sphincter (top valve on stomach that keeps it closed). If he eats too much or too fast, it can all come back up. There have been numerous times where I have sent him to the bathroom "just incase" because I thought he looked slightly green.

I wish I didn't want to run everytime my kids get sick. I wish I could be one of those moms that hold their heads or bring them a cool, wet rag. I just can't.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
TaraPA

Welcome to our club Nixie Pixie LOL!!!!!

While we were watching The Grammy Awards on Sunday as a family my sons were looking at the huge theater & said wow wouldn't it be fun to be there....I swear to you my VERY FIRST thought was "OMG no way one of them would throw up in that huge crowded theater."

I also have anxiety on buses, in crowds (YES especially at WDW!) at kid's birthday parties, sporting events, etc. I am constantly watching and scoping everyone out to see if they look funny, are eating too much junk, etc. I make sure I know where the bathroom is, where the nearest garbage can is, etc. It's like my mental ritual. It's draining.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
NixiePixie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Welcome to our club Nixie Pixie LOL!!!!!

While we were watching The Grammy Awards on Sunday as a family my sons were looking at the huge theater & said wow wouldn't it be fun to be there....I swear to you my VERY FIRST thought was "OMG no way one of them would throw up in that huge crowded theater."

I also have anxiety on buses, in crowds (YES especially at WDW!) at kid's birthday parties, sporting events, etc. I am constantly watching and scoping everyone out to see if they look funny, are eating too much junk, etc. I make sure I know where the bathroom is, where the nearest garbage can is, etc. It's like my mental ritual. It's draining.
I think I am going to make it very clear to DH that if he notices someone getting sick at Disney to make sure I and the kids are distracted. Hopefully, I will be soo tied up in what my fams is doing, I won't notice anyone else. I know I am gonna freak out on the kiddos after they go on Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc. They are gonna get the barrage of questions: "How do you feel?" "Do you feel okay?" "How is your stomach?" "You aren't gonna be sick, are you?" My poor kiddos!!
It was a thread on here that freaked me out. Something along the lines of how many people have seen other people get sick at Disney. I guess the biggest hot spot is Epcot because of people trying to drink themselves around the world. I shouldn't have read the darn thread. I upped my own anxiety twenty fold. :P :P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: