Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
FlyingBelle
Official Tag Fairy Underwear Designer
"MacGyver's" her bras with duct tape and toilet paper
Frutty Pebbles doesn't taste the same with ranch dressing!

I'm 40, I'm pregnant, but I got my DH on a Disney Cruise! 12/2/10 *Photos Added 12/30

OK - my first attempt at a trip report!

Our Trip Plans: 2 nights at All Star Music, 3 nights on the Disney Wonder, 1 night in Cocoa Beach

Who we are:
Me - Well, the title of this trip report says it all, right? Never in a million years when I booked this trip a few months ago did I think I'd be pregnant, but surprise surprise! So much for tropical drinks on the beach! I'm a working mom at an airline, so we fly for free (don't be jealous, it's very stressful!) and with my sister living in CA this year, we purchased the Disney Premier Passport - which is the annual pass that gives entrance to both DisneyWorld and Disneyland. I record year for us - 2 trips to Disneyland, 2 trips to DisneyWorld, and 1 Disney cruise in 2010!

DH - Stay at home dad (by choice) who takes care of our DD (3). He's become a Disney fanatic because of me, but has been TERRIFIED of cruising! I've begged him since the day we met to go on a Disney cruise - but he has a million excuses - rouge waves, pirates, stomach flu, claustrophobia(sp?)... you name it... he found a reason not to cruise... until now! For my 40th birthday I said all I wanted was for us to go on a Disney cruise. He relented!

DD - My darling 3 year old who loves Snow White, Buzz Lightyear (Bit-year), and Mickey Mouse. Need I say more?

Also on our trip - my parents (who are Disney fans and avid cruisers) and my in-laws (who like Disney, but have never been on a cruise before).

Day 1:
Tuesday, November 30th - we all arrived at O'Hare Airport bright and early to stand-by for an early flight. With 7 of us flying stand-by, you never know if we'll get on or not... but given it was the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, I figured our chances were good. I was right! We all got on, and all got to sit together. The flight was a little more turbulence than we've had in awhile, but overall very smooth.

Once we arrived at MCO - my dad went to get the rental mini-van (we decided it was cheaper than paying for the cruise transfer for all 7 of us), while the rest of us went to the food court for our traditional lunch of Chik-fil-a (we're just starting to get these in the Chicagoland area - so it's still a novelty for us to get them at MCO!)

We had our GPS with us, so we figured we'd be able to get around ok. We had to make a stop at Walmart for bottled water and stuff and thanks to the Disboards I was able to locate the one near Downtown Disney.

However... it then took us over an hour to get to our resort!!! For some reason the GPS led us round and round Disney property until we reached our destination... a gas station across from Downtown Disney... what???? This doesn't look like the All Star Music??? A little bickering from all 5 of us back-seat drivers, and my mom popped into one of the shops at Downtown Disney to get a resort map. OK - now we know where to go. There was a round of cheers when we arrived at All Star Music!

My folks and I had checked in online, so we stood in the "short" line - while my inlaws went to the extremely long regular check-in line. My mom checked in first, and fortunately I looked at the map where her room was located - Broadway section - Yay! I love Beauty & the Beast! My turn to check-in... hmmmmm... I'm in the Jazz section - that doesn't seem right. The great cast member quickly got on the phone, called my inlaws over to the desk and got us all straightened out. Somehow I was located in a different building from the rest of our party. After quite a looooongg phone call, she got it fixed and we were all in the Broadway building 7.

We had originally planned to go visit the monorail resorts to look at the decorations, but it was already 3pm and the two Grandpa's were ready for a nap. Since it was pretty nice out and the weather forecast was to be chilly the next few days, DD & I decided to take a dip in the pool. First the piano pool, which was nice a quiet, but not so easy for a toddler to swim in since she kept wanting to jump off the steps to where it was over her head. So, we headed over to the main pool and where there's a kiddie pool and let her swim for an hour or so.

After much bribing to get out of the pool, we got dressed and headed in the van to Downtown Disney.

I had ADRs at Raglan Road Irish Pub. We've never eaten there before, but DH and his dad had a few beers there last year and liked it.

The food was good, and seemed not too pricey (about $18 for fish & chips), but each of us added a side ($5 each), and some added 2 sides (ahem, Dad!) and a few beers. DH kept saying he'd like to add this place to our list of places to eat again, but he didn't see the bill! Just for DH & I (and a milk for DD), it was over $70. I guess for Downtown Disney that's not too bad, but both my parents and inlaws bills were over $100. No one wanted to listen to me to wait to add on the extra food (apps & desserts) until we're on the cruise where it won't cost extra!

After dinner we walked over to the World of Disney store... nothing inspired me (a first!), so we walked over to the pavillion while everyone finished shopping. They were having a dance contest with kids - pairs of 2. They randomly picked a number, which determined what song they had to dance to. There was a set of siblings, a pre-teen boy and a young girl, that got All the Single Ladies - boy did he do his best! Got quite a few laughs. Unfortunately they were beat out by their brothers who did backflips and stunts. The little girl was so sad, but her older brother was sweet at trying to console her.

By now it's around 10pm. We're all tired from a long day of travel... so back to All Star Music (this time it only took us a few minutes to find it!) and off to bed for a fun day tomorrow!
Many times as a child | Fort Wilderness Campground 1996 | Off-Property Mar 1999 | CS May 1999 | ASSp Aug 1999 | Dixie Landings Jan 2000 | Dixie Landings Feb 2001| WL Feb 2002 | Disney Wonder Cruise Jan 2003 | WL Sep 2004 | Swan Feb 2005 |WL Oct 2005 | POR - Aug 2006 | WLV - Jan/Feb 2007 | WL Family Trip - Sep 2008! Bella's first trip to Disney! | Buena Vista Suites - Dec 08 | Disneyland - Nov 2009 | Disneyland - June 2010 | POP - July 2010 Disneyland - October 2010 | ASMu & Disney Wonder December 2010 | ASMu Jan 2011| Disneyland Sept 2011 | ASMu Jan 2012 | No Kids Trip! Pirate room at CB - Mar 2012| Disneyland - April 2012| Disneyland - July 2012| Disneyland - August 2012 | ASSp - September 2012| Disney Dream 3 night cruise - Nov 2012 | Split-Stay: AKL - Feb 2014/ASMo - March 2014

Last edited by FlyingBelle; 12-30-2010 at 11:49 AM.
FlyingBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Great fun to read!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
FlyingBelle

Day 2: Magic Kingdom

Wednesday is our only day planned for a theme park. So, we're going to the Magic Kingdom!

Our day started out a little rocky, just due to miscommunication. We had agreed the night before that we would meet for breakfast at the food court by 9:30am, and then head out to the park.

Well, I woke up at 6:30am and since I'm pregnant, I need to EAT! I stumbled around the room for a while, then decided to go get breakfast and bring it back for DH and DD. I know my mom gets up early, so I texted her what I was doing. Sure enough, she was up, so we met up at the food court and had our morning meal together.

I should pause here for a moment because I made a decision that morning, that the value resorts aren't all that bad. You see, a few months back we stayed at Pop Century, and vowed we would never stay in a Value resort again (admittedly, we're Wilderness Lodge snobs). We had paid extra for a preferred room, which we found out was overlooking the main pool. Although it was close to the main building, we weren't able to get any sleep the entire stay - because there were people in the pool literally all hours of the night yelling and screaming. 2am, 3am, I finally called the front desk and asked them what time the pool closed - they told me midnight - I told them they might want to take a walk out by the pool because there are at least 2 dozen people swimming! It happened every night. We probably should have switched to a quieter section, but I hate switching once I'm unpacked. Also, we didn't like the food court because it was such a mad house. Now... compare that with the All Star Music, it was such a different experience! The resort was quiet, and the food court, while busy, wasn't a madhouse. We ended up at the Music because it was all that was available when we booked last minute that was under $300/night. We'll definitely stay there again!!!

Ok, so back to the misunderstanding.... my mom & I both brought breakfast back to our rooms for the sleeping beauties, but somehow my inlaws totally misunderstood what we did and sat in the food court from 9am until 10am WAITING for us before they even got their food. Whoops. A few phone calls straightened it out, and by 10:30am we were in the van headed to the Magic Kingdom.

We arrived at the Ticket & Transportation Center, it's the first time I've driven there from a resort, so it was the first time on the tram in the parking lot - very much like the one in Disneyland. While we waited for our folks to purchase their 1-day pass (my mom was able to use her Disney Give a Day), DD decided she wanted to take the monorail instead of the boat.

Didn't take us long to get in the park - and we noticed right away the entrance to main street was setting up for the Christmas Day parade. Whew... they're not filming today! We marched up main street and made a quick stop at the Baby Care Center (DD is still potty training, and I know they have the little potties there), then around the castle to head into Fantasyland.

There was a show going on in front of the castle, so I was trying to get us quickly to Fantasyland before the show ended so we could get on Peter Pan without a huge wait. DH didn't quite understand my strategy, and had to stop to watch musicians playing in front of the Hall of Presidents. Come on!!!

Finally, in line for Peter Pan, only a 20 minute wait - not bad! It's my mom's favorite ride. DD was mopey, because she could see Small World and wanted to go on it NOW! So, after Peter Pan, walked over to Small World for a 10 minute wait. They've reversed the line from when we were here in the summer, you go in the exit now. I kinda wish they'd do the holiday overlay like they do in Disneyland - it almost seems plain. But DD can't get enough of it - she sings the whole way along (sorry to those who share a boat with us) and then begs to go again!

It's lunchtime now, so we head over to Adventureland and our favorite lunch spot - Pecos Bills. I just love their chicken ceasar wraps! We get our food and head up to our "secret" seating area - past all the tables to the ramp on the left - to the upstairs seating where noone seems to know about! Everytime we go there, the downstairs area is jam-packed, and the upstairs is empty (and dark and cool on a hot day). Shhhh, don't tell anyone about it!

After lunch, we head over to Pirates of the Caribbean. Goofy is taking pictures and DD freaks out because he's "too big". I don't even try to get her in line for photos with the characters anymore. On to the pirates ride, DD is "scared", but she loves pirates. Once we get past the drop, she is loving it. when the ride ends she says "can we do it again?"

Sorry DD, we've got things to do! On to the Jungle Cruise. Just a 10 minute wait for this one too - not bad today! We actually have a really great cruise director who has a ton of "what do you call a guy with no arms, no legs, and..." jokes (which I know a ton from junior high school).

Then, even though it's on the chilly side, we do our manditory stop for Dole Whips!

More to come....
Many times as a child | Fort Wilderness Campground 1996 | Off-Property Mar 1999 | CS May 1999 | ASSp Aug 1999 | Dixie Landings Jan 2000 | Dixie Landings Feb 2001| WL Feb 2002 | Disney Wonder Cruise Jan 2003 | WL Sep 2004 | Swan Feb 2005 |WL Oct 2005 | POR - Aug 2006 | WLV - Jan/Feb 2007 | WL Family Trip - Sep 2008! Bella's first trip to Disney! | Buena Vista Suites - Dec 08 | Disneyland - Nov 2009 | Disneyland - June 2010 | POP - July 2010 Disneyland - October 2010 | ASMu & Disney Wonder December 2010 | ASMu Jan 2011| Disneyland Sept 2011 | ASMu Jan 2012 | No Kids Trip! Pirate room at CB - Mar 2012| Disneyland - April 2012| Disneyland - July 2012| Disneyland - August 2012 | ASSp - September 2012| Disney Dream 3 night cruise - Nov 2012 | Split-Stay: AKL - Feb 2014/ASMo - March 2014
Old 12-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
FlyingBelle

Day 2: Magic Kingdom, continued

So, after our Dole Whip break, we decide to head over to Tomorrowland. That is usually our first stop, but today I was concerned with the construction at Fantasyland that area might be more crowded later in the day.

First stop (after a photo of the Mickey/Minnie topiaries with the Castle in the background) is Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. My folks haven't done it before, and sure enough my Dad ends up on the big screen and gets lots of laughs.

Next stop, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. Now, I've mentioned before that DD LOVES Bit-year, but for some reason she's scared to death of that ride! I think because the queue line is a little dark and loud. So, my darling mother took DD out of line, and went to find her a sucker. A GIANT sucker. Whatever it takes to keep a kid who won't nap happy at DisneyWorld!

After my dad smokes us all at Buzz Lightyear, we decided to calm down and sit through the Carosel of Progress - it was one of my favorites as a kids (I was a strange kid).

Then, the two grandpa's wanted to go on Space Mountain, so the rest of us went on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Paging Mr. Morrow. Mr. Tom Morrow!

A coffee break (it's getting chilly now that the sun is starting to set) and we have discussion about what to do for dinner. DH wants to go to the Polynesian to get their awesome pork sandwiches. I'm afraid we won't have enough time to get back in time for fireworks.

In the meantime, DD sees the cars and wants to drive. DH lets her drive, I doubt he'll be so willing in about 13 years. She absolutely loved it!

Now we're headed to the train station in ToonTown Fair. I thought more of this was closed, but it looks like not until February. We take a ride around the park hoping DD will take a nap. Not successful, so we exit back at Toontown and decide where to eat dinner.

The inlaws are freezing (she has 2 coats on), so we went to Pinocchio's House because I remember they have soup there. Creamy tomato soup, chicken parm (which is actually pretty good), pizza. That warms us up. DD notices that we're right by Small World and talks us into another boat ride. Grandpa's decided to sit this one out and have another cup of coffee.

It's about 7pm, fireworks are in an hour, so we head over to the Haunted Mansion. I haven't been on it since they refurbished it. Love the new effects! DD did NOT like it at all. It was the first ride she didn't ask to go on again.

I wanted to pop into the Christmas shop in Liberty Square, but we get stopped by the nightime parade. DD has to sit on Grandpa's shoulders to see, but it ends and we cut across into the shop and purchase 4 Mickey/Minnie Christmas stockings (preparing for our unexpected new one!)

We inch our way past the castle, and find a spot outside Casey's Corner to watch the fireworks. So worth it! Wishes!

We make our way to the boat that will take us back to our car (the first time I've ever been on it), and soon we're back at the All Star Music.

DH does a small load of laundry, while I repack our stuff and try to get DD to sleep.

Good night Magic Kingdom, see you next year!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
FlyingBelle

Day 3: Time for the CRUISE!!!!

Boy am I excited! I've been waiting for 6 years to go on this cruise!

We started our day by heading over to the Wilderness Lodge for breakfast. It's almost torture for us because we love that resort so much!

We had breakfast at Whispering Canyon - most of us had the all-you-can-eat skillet. A little pricey, but I can never make up my mind for breakfast. I don't see any of the usual servers here today. And super disappointed they didn't do the hobby horse races. I don't know if they stopped doing it or if we just weren't there at the right time.

After breakfast we admired the tree, and then stopped into the Mercantile. This is where I always spend money! We bought a sand paid and shovel for DD (I didn't know if they'd have them on Castaway Cay), some Mickey woodsy-themed ornaments, 2 sweatshirts (my dad found them - on sale for just $18 each!), and the blanket for $15 w/ purchase. How am I going to make room for this in my bag??

After taking some photos in the lobby, we're back in the van to pick up our stuff and head to the port!

We all kinda nap on the drive to the port (except my dad, the driver). Boy do I get excited when we come over the hill and I see the ship!!!

Dad drops us off at the curb while he parks the minivan, then we're in line to get our id's checked and go through security.

There is quite a bit of construction here - I guess they're getting ready for the new Dream ship to come into port.

Doesn't take us long to get through security, then we're in line to check-in. Well, a line of US! It's about 1pm, so there aren't too many people in the terminal. At check-in, I'm given a silver Castaway Club lanyard, since this is my 2nd Disney cruise. My first reaction is, "Hmmmm, I hope this isn't the stateroom gift I was told about when I booked". But on to the ship!

I love how they welcome us onboard! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself! DH keeps telling me to calm down and take it easy

Once onboard, we head up to Deck 9 to see what's for lunch, we're hungry!

Out of the elevator, I make a potty stop - and by the time I'm out everyone has their drinks! No fun alcohol drinks for me this trip. Oh well, it's chilly out, so I'm more interested in some decaf hot tea!

We can't even make it over to Beach Blanket Buffet, and DH has stopped at Pluto's to get a brat. Boy did this make his day! You see, we can't make a trip to EPCOT without stopping in Germany for a brat. And we just didn't have enough time this trip to go to EPCOT. I've been hearing about it for weeks now. And now... DH thinks the brats are exactly the same as EPCOT! I know what he's having for lunch, snacks, dessert everyday!

The rest of us get food from the buffet. DH loves that they make everyone wipe their hands (remember, he's paranoid of getting sick on the cruise!)

We relax on deck 9 for awhile, and then head down to our rooms to see our new home...
Old 12-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
FlyingBelle

Day 3: Time for the CRUISE!!!! Continued

Our room...

Ah, room 2058 was very good to us. Mid-ship, right off the elevators. We were concerned it would be noisy being so close to the elevators, but it was quiet.

And, sitting on our bed, is the promised stateroom gift! A great black & red Castaway Club drawstring bag (heavy duty) with 2 aluminum waterbottles, 2 rice krispy treats shaped like sandals, and a nice ships wheel keychain. Now that's a welcome!

DD loves the room, immediately starts looking out the window and spots some dolphins! DH is inspecting every inch. He's actually impressed. I think we're going to be ok!

It's almost time for the safety drill, so we hang out a bit more until we hear the signal. We grab our lifejackets and head on up. The safety drill goes fine, and we're released to go have fun! Back to our room to put away our lifejackets, and then get ready for the party!

We head up to deck 9 and DD gets a red pompom.

It's chilly, we all have our sweatshirts on, and the entertainment crew tries really hard to get us moving and warm up. DD lights up when she sees Mickey & crew come down the steps a few feet from us! See, I told you Mickey would be on our boat!

After the party we hang out on deck 9 in at a wind protected table and watch as we pull away from the dock. For some reason (I suspect they needed some certification), we do a 360 spin. Then we're headed down the canal and out to sea! Sailing, sailing, over the bounding waves! Hmmmm, it's a little wavy. Let's hope DH doesn't get sea sick!

On to the show - the Golden Mickeys! We have 2nd seating for dinner, so the show is first. DD likes it a lot, but she's getting tired. I wonder how dinner is going to go?? We really feel the motion of the boat in the theater. I don't remember this from previous cruises.

After the show, we change our clothes and head to Triton's for dinner. DD is all dressed up, and I gave her a surprise - a Cinderella purse full of little goodies to keep her busy at dinner (stickers, toys, jewelry, etc).

We get to dinner and the 7 of us have a table to ourselves. DD has her own spot all ready for her with a booster chair and a water cup with her name on it. Our servers make her feel like a princess

DD ordered fruit cup, which came in a silver compote. She sat like a little angel and ate it all up like a grown up. My dad kept laughing and wanted to know when she turned 10 all of a sudden!

I ordered the lobster pasta. Not a huge fan of lobster, but almost every other entree/app had mushrooms in it, and I can't stand mushrooms. I'm a bit of a picky eater, so I adjust.

The boat is really rocking now, and my mother in law can't take it anymore. Poor thing, I was worried about this! She went to lay down in her room. We had her food kept warm and brought it to her. fortunately it was just her head that was bothering her, once she laid down she was fine.

After dinner, DD started getting restless. She ate her icecream with sprinkles (every drop) and then I took her out for a walk while everyone else had their dessert (being pregnant, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so the desserts didn't look good to me).

So here's the magic moment of the trip...

We walked out of Triton's and Snow White and Tiana were just outside taking photos. DD adores Snow White. We sat and watched and waved to her. DD finally got up the nerve to want to hug her - so we went to get in line. Oh no, they were just closing the line! I gave the sad eyes to the lovely young man who was working the line - and he whispered to me "go upstairs, when Snow White is done, she is going to go up those stairs. If you're at the top of the stairs, I'll make sure she stops and takes a photo with you!"

So, we did, we went to the top of the stairs and sat in a chair and waited. Suddenly, we saw Snow White ascend the stairs... and.... DD totally freaked out! She started crying and burried her head in my arms! Oh no!
Snow White stopped, as promised, and tried to coax her out. DD did turn and wave to her, and Snow White said "Good night princess, sweet dreams!" DD beamed with joy!

Just then, we saw DH and my folks running up the stairs behind Snow White yelling "Stop! Stop!" See, they didn't realize we knew she'd be coming up the stairs, and DH was trying to set up the meeting with Snow White. Very sweet of him!

We're all tired, and feeling a little woosey from the motion, so we all call it a night and head to bed. I love how the ship rocks us to sleep!

Last edited by FlyingBelle; 12-30-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added photos

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: