Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

It’s a “Wonder” I survived TR: Day 17 – Goodbye to the Wonder & Hello Poly!!!

The Cast:

Me, 34 – Disney obsessed, Shopaholic & extremely clumsy!

Lee (DH), 35 – aka the Mad Hatter….

24th September 2009 = Day 17

We woke up when the alarm went off at 7am, I had a pretty rough nights sleep again due to my heat rash.

The ship had already docked and this was our view this morning, it is not foggy but the camera lens had misted up and I hadn’t noticed!

We got showered and packed the last few bits in our hand luggage before saying goodbye to our room (well until August 2011, as I managed to get the same room for our Alaskan cruise although we didn’t know that at the time) and went down to Tritons to meet Chris & Raylyn at 8.15am for breakfast. We arrived at the same time as them so chatted whilst we queued to get in the restaurant. They gave us a gift from Hawaii, a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts & 2 x Liliko’i bars which were passion fruit flavoured cake bars, here is a picture we took later when at the Poly. It was so very sweet of them.

We were shown to our table and ordered breakfast, I had eggs, hash brown & bacon with coffee, Lee had the same plus sausage & ham. After breakfast we said our final goodbyes to Kate & Balwan (our servers) then disembarked the ship with Chris & Raylyn. We collected our luggage and went through customs, we were directed to the Polynesian bus which was also the same bus Chris & Raylyn were getting as they were staying at Shades of Green which is just opposite the Poly. The bus journey was uneventful until we got to the first drop off Port Orleans Riverside, one family got off and the driver unloaded their luggage & ours??? Luckily I was watching out the window as he started to get back on the bus to drive off, so Lee went running off the bus and told him! He was really old and I think a bit deaf as Lee had to explain to him several times that it was our luggage and we were going to the Poly. The next stop was Saratoga and a few more people got off the bus, thankfully our luggage remained on the bus this time but the driver got back on the bus and drove off with the luggage compartment doors still open! One of the bellboys chased us down the road and banged on the drivers window, thankfully no one’s luggage had fallen out. Next stop was the Poly, I was grateful to be getting off the bus as the driver was awful. We said goodbye to Chris & Raylyn, collected our cases that had amazingly survived the journey, then headed into the Polynesian.

We checked in where the cast member kindly upgraded us from a garden view to a lagoon view, which also included a lovely view of the Grand Floridian. We were given some lei’s, room keys etc and then a bell boy took us in a golf cart around to our room #2224 in the Aotearoa longhouse.

We dropped off our luggage and took some photos of the beautiful room.

Our wonderful view….

Some of the lights/lamps:

We then took a walk around the resort, starting with the Great Ceremonial House, we looked in the Wyland Gallery & the shop, Boutiki:

Continued below.......

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

We were feeling a little hungry so stopped off in Captain Cooks, I had a cheese flatbread:

Lee had a bowl of chicken noodle soup:

We bought two refillable mugs as thankfully they had HOT CHOCOLATE!!! See how happy it made my hubby! Bless him…..simple things and all that!

We also had a dole whip:

After lunch we had a walk around the upstairs of Great Ceremonial House and looked in the shop and took some photos:

We walked out and had a look around the pool and beach but it suddenly came over very overcast and dark so we went back to Boutiki where I bought a few things I’d seen earlier then stopped off in Captain Cooks for a hot chocolate refill and went back to the room.

Once back in the room I called Bell services to ask them to bring up the luggage we had transferred and stored before the cruise, that arrived shortly afterwards and we unpacked the rest of our clean clothes and repacked some of the laundry and shopping. Whilst I was doing this Lee went back up to the shop to buy some bottles of water and found some cream to help soothe my heat rash. We watched tv for a while as it was raining a little. After a while we showered and changed for dinner but first was something I had been looking forward to, we watched Wishes from Poly beach. We also got to see the Electric Water Pageant too.

Afterwards we took a few night time photos around the resort & of the Grand Floridian which looked beautiful all lit up across the lagoon.

Continued below.....

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

We quickly dropped the camera & tripod back in the room before heading off for dinner at….

We had to wait a while for our table but that was not a problem as we pulled up a stool at the Tambu lounge bar. Lee had a Corona, whilst I had a backscratcher. We were soon called to our table, which had a view of Cinderella’s Castle. Our waitress kept arriving with lots of dishes, first up was pineapple & coconut bread and a large bowl of mixed greens with honey-lime dressing. Also seen in the salad photo is three sauces - Peanut, Spicy Mustard, and Sweet n Sour.

Followed by honey chicken wings, pork dumplings with sweet & sour sauce:

Next was a bowl of noodles & some broccoli:

I also had another cocktail – Very berry something, I can’t remember what it was but it was nice. They had changed some of the drinks menu whilst we were on our cruise and this was one of the new ones.

They then came around with different skewers, turkey, pork , steak & shrimp.

Finally was dessert, Bread pudding served a la mode with Bananas and Caramel Sauce:

The open kitchen area:

After dinner we paid the bill $78 & tip, but we later realised they had only charged us for one drink each not two. We went for a walk around the resort and sat on the beach looking across the lagoon for a while before heading back to the room. Lee popped back down to Captain Cooks for a hot chocolate refill and by the time he got back I was asleep, not that he complained as it meant two hot chocolates for him!

Coming up – Day 18 = Kona Café, DHS, Epcot, Mini Golf & MNSSHP!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

fab day there
The Poly looks lovely, im sure we'll stay there one time.
I love O'Hanas esp the shrimp
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

What a lovely day Claire. I love the Polynesian, it's such a pretty resort The food at O'Hanas looks delish, we've only ever had breakfast there, but I think we may have to try dinner next time

Fab photos once again

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

ooh great day, i love ohana !

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

The poly looks amazing.
wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Lovely pics Claire-i love the one of you+Lee.
The rooms at Poly look lovely-when we went for Brekkie with Stitch we had a look around the grounds and it looks lovely-maybe one day(in my dreams)we will stay at such a beautiful resort .
The food looks great but unfortunatley not something that Emily would enjoy(fussy mare ).
Whoa nightmare driver .Really enjoying your trippie Claire .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

What a fab day Claire x
I love the look of dinner at ohanas - mmmmmmmmmmmm x

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Really lovely pics Claire.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
jamjar84
DIS Veteran

Lovely day, the Poly pics are gorgeous. Lovely pic of the two of you, you picked up a gorgeous tan.
jamjar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

The Poly looks lovely, and them noodles are making me hungry
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

fabulous I love the poly and really want to stay there for a couple of nights. shame your heat rash was troubling you.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

loving your pictures of the poly... number one disney hotel I want to try!!!

looking forward to reading more!
irishdancer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #15
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

The Poly looks amazing. Fab photos

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: