Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
King Charming
Mouseketeer

KC & the double dipping band. Nov 14-21

It was GREAT! We had the time of our lives, again. In addition to the regular this is what we did, where we went, what we fought about type TR, we will include stories, observations, opinions, and other random babblings.

To those of you who read the PTR, I am sorry, and will try to do better. Those of you who missed it also missed out on learning about Mickey's favorite machine, DisneyRebates, my campaign, how to get an upgrade, and a host of other related topics. Go waste some time over there. But not now, please stay and waste your time here first, THEN go read the other.

Our group consists of my dear DW (aka Hypermommy), and our two eating machines (aka DS16 & DS14). and me. I share them with Mickey whenever possible.

Anyway, the cruise bug bit me hard when we won a 7 day DCL cruise and went on a western in April 08. We treated it as the trip of a lifetime and went all out. I answered the mysterious question 'How much does a 'free' cruise cost? Answer- $4.5K, but wanted to do it again anyway. There was alot we could cut out this time, especially doing the same route, so we booked 14 months out. Plenty of time to plan, save, and enjoy having something to look forward to. Or so I thought.

And this is something else we need to get clear right from the start. While I promise to post often, and actually finish in a timely manner, this is gonna be a long one. I found I enjoy writing these, and since this will be the last one for a very long time, I intend to make the most of it. You'll also have to put up with DW's input from time to time, as this will be a tag team effort, and the photos she will post. You'd think w/ over 1200 pics taken, at least a few would be viewable. You decide.

Remember, y'all are requested to add your own opinions/lies/corrections often. There's no sense in me having all the fun....
King Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
kris-co
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear about it!
kris-co is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to it!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

praisehisname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

signing in for this one and looking forward to it .... I so enjoyed your last trip report !!!!!
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Desi
Seek color and ye shall receive...
There are many Tag Fairies.... no-one said they're all girls though!

realization

While on our cruise (with you)
While sitting, just observing others and their fun and knowing our fun and what we were doing. I come to the realization that EVERY single family was having a different vacation experience. Even tho we were all on the same boat, the experience was so different for everyone. I think that is what made me fall in love with Disney cruising.
We absolutly loved our DIS group. Which added to our experience greatly.
Look forward to comparing notes with your TR.
Cruise #1 Disney Magic Nov.14-21-2009 Double Dip
Cruise #2 Disney Dream Nov.13-18 2011
Cruise #3 Disney Fantasy Nov. 23-30 2013
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Tinkerkell123
DIS Veteran

Yay! I was looking for a TR from y'all yesterday! Subbing now... Can't wait!

The DaSilva's are:
Bert(DH), Kelli (DW),Alex (DD13) and Kevin(DS10)
* !!Theme Park Commandos!! WDW Commando Member # 223
My 1st cruise TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post35341965
Tinkerkell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
CastawayTink
CastawayTink

Smile January 2005 WDW and Eastern Cruise

We are planning a Disney Cruise in April of 2011 on the Wonder to the Mexican Riviera and that has me thinking of my last trip. It was our first cruise and just had to be Disney!
We went on the Eastern Caribbean Cruise in January 2005 and LOVED it!!! We had planned to spend 7 nights at WDW and 7 nights on the Disney Cruise. It was a big trip for us for several reasons. We were going to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, it’s now 30 years and still counting. We fell in love at Disneyland and felt it the best way to celebrate! Also we had never taken a trip this big nor had I ever been out of the country. The trip was full of firsts!
When my parents heard about the trip they decided to join us. They quickly decided that the entire family should come and they paid for everyone to go! 15 people in all with 12 family members and 3 tag along friends.
We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter at WDW and had a wonderful time. Lots of good memories were made there. The staff at the hotel was wonderful taking care of a missing power cord for my husband’s C-PAP machine. The power cord got left at home and my husband needed it badly. The head of maintenance tried to find a power cord that would work and when he could not he took my husband all over Orlando looking for a cord. It was amazing the way they made sure he had what he needed!
My parents are handicapped and needed lots of extra attention. The Cast members at the hotel and in the parks made sure they were taken care of. They felt so special there.
On the cruise they were quick to get an extension cord so my husband could plug in his C-PAP when he slept. Our daughter, who was 10 at the time, was made to feel safe on the ship. She felt like she could wonder the ship and if she needed us she could page us. Anything my parents needed was quickly attended too.
All the shows were wonderful and we wished we could have seen them all several times! Next time we will go to manatee show and then go again in the evening! The food was wonderful and our server, Raman, was great and made us all feel special. The rotational dining was fun and kept things very exciting and interesting. We enjoyed just walking around the ship. It is beautiful and romantic.
St. Martian was drab. We wished we had stayed on the ship! We took the 2 flags tour and the Dutch side of the island was poor but clean. The French side was dirty. They took us to the “Big Mall” on the French side. It was nothing more than a flea mart! Not much fun and I don’t suggest it. Maybe another excursion would have been better.
St Thomas was beautiful! We did not stay there long enough! We had a short time to walk around a few blocks away from the port but loved the feel of the island.
Castaway Cay was the best part of the trip!!! We thought we would snorkel for an hour or so and then explore rest of the island. We had so much fun snorkeling in the family area we hardly got out of the water the entire day!! When we first started snorkeling our daughter was scared to death of the fish! She had a panic attack and climbed onto her dad’s back! That did not last too long as she found too many fun things to look at and realized the fish were not going to hurt her. About the only time we were out of the water was to go to the BBQ for lunch. Even my parents had fun exploring the island on their electric scooters.
We were sad when the trip finally ended and wished we could steal some Pixie Dust from Tinker Bell so we could stay on the ship forever!
CastawayTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
King Charming
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting Castaway Tink. Yet another happy tale of satisified cruisers who got bit by the 'Gotta go again' bug. Everybody has a good time on Mickey's boat, and I think that's half the reason folks read these TR's. There is reassurance you made a good vacation choice, or recalling YOUR cruise and it's special moments when you read or see a photo of something similar. I think the other half are here to research their options for what to do after they board. Even veteran cruisers haven't done it all, and reading unsolicited reports on shows, meals, excursions, daily routines, or even who else will be at sea with you can help you decide how the next trip could be better.

Now y'all should know by now that the Mickster and I are pretty tight. Why just this morning we stood together to watch the shuttle launch. It was a clear night here in O town, and you could see it for a long time. Due to the angle of the sun we could even see a booster rocket drift away as an orange sliver. Anyway, I asked Mickey why so many folks are reading, buy don't stay long enough to say hi. After a crack about my deodorant, he said most people were waiting on the post covering the Most Popular Passenger Ceremony in the big theater. The MPP and other awards are typically announced on the 2nd sea day and I haven't gotten that far yet. Let's just say for now it was an intense (and loud) competition.

For those of you who are interested in collecting your own MPP hardware during future cruises, I would highly recommend my campaign manager. Never leave these matters to the whim of the voters; we all know they are idiots. With her reasonable rates, you too can have billboards stretching up and down I-95 with your slogan splashed all over the place. I'm sure you, or someone you know, saw mine in early Nov. She'll be in town this weekend, and if you want, I'll put in a good word for you.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Cool you saw the launch!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #10
MassDisLovers
A dream is a wish your heart makes....

Awww, KC... you flatter me. However, working with an outstanding candidate like you is always a pleasure. Glad to hear that you and The Big Guy have been able to patch things up. I guess he has gotten over his shock at learning that you were potentially more popular than him. Good thing you finally got him to read the fine print so he understood that the contest was for Most Popular PASSENGER and would in no way affect him! You had a great way with him...... those celebs can be hard to handle! I'm hoping it won't be awkward when I board his ship on Saturday, but if he gives me the cold shoulder, so be it. It is what it is and even a Big Cheese like him has to be honest with himself. He's had 3 months to get over it, should be enough!

SO excited to becoming to your fair city this weekend, but MOST EXCITED about visiting with your lovely wife. Another great thing about these boards.....
Carnival Fantasy 8/1992- the "Hurricane Andrew cruise"! ** Disney Magic 2/2002- Eastern ** Disney Magic 4/2004 - Western ** RCI Mariner of the Seas 4/2005 ** Carnival Celebration 8/2005 ** Carnival Liberty 4/2006 * Disney Magic 12/2006 - special Christmas cruise ** RCI Adventure of the Seas 4/2007 ** Disney Magic 4/2008 - Western ** Disney Magic 2/2010 - Eastern **RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/2011 ** Disney Wonder 8/9/11 - Alaska ** RCI Freedom of the Seas 3/2013 ** Disney Wonder 5/2014- California Coast **Disney's Magic Music Days 1999, 2003, & 2007 **Disneyland 1993, 2006, 2007 & 2010 *** Walt Disney World - too many trips to count !***
DVC members since 1992~ OKW & BDWK
MassDisLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Hey y'all!!

Look at me Hypermommy, gettin all southern on ya!! Ok, so I'm all caught up and I only have one thing to say...well I have a lot to say most times, but right now the one thing I have to say is ....I WANT TO GO ON A DISNEY CRUISE!!!

Your pictures are beautiful....I wasn't lovin the one where your snuggling a little to closely to my boyfriend Jack, but because your my friend, I'm gonna let it slide....this time

Can't wait to read more and see more pics
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
King Charming
Mouseketeer

So after cigars Tues evening, DW claimed me. We walked through the clubs, then collected the cooler and headed in. Back in the room around 11:30, then played the 'How late will the boys be tonight?' game AGAIN! I was pretty sure by now that I'd be officially notified if I was really needed, and therefore wasn't a very good player..... I went to sleep.

I was up at 6, and with a renewed supply of Pepsi, became a V veg. It was around 7 when I first noticed the little white islands begin to appear on the horizon. Strange, I don't remember that many islands off the coast of Mexico. Yeah, bit of a geography nut. Anyway, within 15 minutes it became clear what I was seeing. The multi-story Cancun resorts! About that time we began our turn around the top of Cozumel and are now sailing down it's west coast. We had Bfast as a family, then hit GS and split up there. Today was our excursion day. Each boy picked out their favorite (and paid for themselves), and we tagged along as chaperons. I had been trying to weasel out of paying full fare to accompany DS16, but Guest Services set me straight. If the kids are minors you pay full fare because transportation and other stuff is included/available, regardless of whether I use it. OK, kinda figured that.

So Eating Machine #1 and I show up at the Rockin D Bar at 9:45 for assembly to go on the ship's sponsored zip line/adventure park deal. We had a rookie lead us through the paperwork, given stickers, and led off the ship after 10. We went to the base of the pier, then off to the right side where there were two dozen benches. We met our tour guides, turned in our waivers, and within 15 minutes loaded onto 8 passenger taxi vans. We re-assembled about a mile from the northern tip, still on the same coast/side. Ushered into a 50 seat room, our group of 25 or so got the safety lecture/instructions/how to speech. Harness and hard hat properly adjusted, we go out and watch them secure anchor lines and test EVERYTHING!

I was disappointed by the size of the place. All the towers/rock walls fit within a 30 X 30 foot area. I somehow got the impression of zipping thru the trees/leaves, on long runs. Not gonna happen here. But what they did have was a nicely shaded table I could leave my Pepsi on. While I sat in my nicely shaded chair next to it. I don't zip. Long time ago, yes, eagerly. Rock climbing sounds too much like work, so that's out. I miss the repelling, but prefer to stay firmly planted these days. So me and the granny with a big group sat and watched. Every person climbed each rock face (then were lowered down), then walked the rope bridges, then zipped between the towers (30 ft tall), then repelled down. One tower started doing only repelling, 4 ropes going, for those who couldn't get enough. DS said it was easy (but he's done this junk before), but it looked stressful to the few over 40's in the group.

A special shout out to Kevin. I was right up there with you buddy (in spirit), as you went through ALL the stations. And how he thrilled us all with his amazing 'Look ma, no hands' repelling. Having DIS'ers around make everything more fun. Since Irish skin and tropical sun should never meet, we didn't stay long afterwards.

DS pronounced it a hit and said he got his money's worth even though we didn't stay to snorkle (also inc). What we did stick around for was the free drink that was included. There were beach areas and a swimming pool we could have used, and the bar and grill had reasonable prices. We told one of the folks we were ready to leave, and a few minutes later we're told a cab is waiting for us. They needed 2 more folks for a full load and were glad to see us. "Everyone going to the pier?" Well, yeah. We were told the ride back was also free, so we sit back and watch the guy drive by our pier and finally stops down by the other pier further south. There were 7 ships in Coz today, and everybody piles out but us. So on his way back he drops us at the escalator at our pier, and we are back on the ship by 1pm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: