Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Guy Fieri's Disneyland Resort Holiday Special - AIRING ON FOOD NETWORK THIS MONTH!

I suppose I should be a proper mod and move my own thread over to the Community Board, BUT I thought that seeing this upcoming Guy Fieri DLR Holiday special may help some folks with their DLR holiday trip planning, so I put it here for now.

Anyway, last year Guy was at DLR the weekend before Christmas, filming this special one-hour version of his popular Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives for the Food Network, set to air on Saturday, December 5. I was there at DLR during that time and I never saw him! Nancy - YellowMickeyPonchos - met him while he was making fresh candy canes. I like that it is one full hour. Usually the one-hour shows go to WDW stuff, but this whole hour is devoted to holidays at DLR only! I am setting my DVR so I can watch this during the year, whenever I need a little taste of DLR at Christmastime!!!

Here is the link with more info: http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-dr...day/index.html

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 12-06-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
BillyFan
My white-trashiest chefy moment ever
I, for one have had a Billy Hill Buzz more once
And thanks so much for warming up the boyfriend for us

Yay! I remember hearing that Guy was there last year, but never heard anything about the show. I'll definitely record it to my DVR, too!

BillyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
l’amore bella
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to watch the special!
l’amore bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

We'll be coming home from DL that day, so I'm going to set my DVR!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

Hurray! I'm setting my Tivo now! Not only will the special be on three days before we leave (talk about helping to set the mood!), but my DH and I really get a kick out of Guy Fieri. We enjoy his Sacramento restuarant, Tex Wasabi, and somehow always manage to eat there when he's in town. He's quite a hoot and just seems to be a genuinely nice person. He's always really interested in what you think about the food, but the conversation always veers onto some funny tangents. Can't wait to watch the Christmas special and see what he has to say and show!

Sherry, thank you so much for posting the information!!!
Completed: DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970
3TinksAndAnEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

You are most welcome! I had to share this with my DIS-friends! Ever since I heard of Guy being at DLR last year on my weekend (even though I never saw him anywhere but I did see film crews walking around), and Nancy explaining that the reason he was there was to film a DLR holiday special for the Food Network, I have been eagerly awaiting this darn show to come on! If I recall from what Nancy or another DIS-er said after meeting Guy in 2009, the initial plan was to air it in November of this year, so I began checking my menu listings on the cable guide, as they usually show what is going to air up to two weeks in advance, and I didn't see any Guy Fieri DLR Holiday special on for the next two weeks. So that prompted me to go hunting online to see when and IF it was going to air, and I found the info that I posted the link for above. I am so excited it is finally coming on! Not that I don't enjoy all the specials about WDW (I try to record those too, and I love the Samantha Brown Disney Holiday special that Travel Channel runs each year), but we don't get TOO many shows that are just about DLR - DLR at holiday time, no less - so this one is a real treat for all of us diehard DLR lovers and DLR holiday fanatics!

Up until last year, Food Network used to air a one-hour special every year about the various 'edible' holiday decorations all around WDW, featuring Raven Symone (did I spell her name correctly? LOL!), and I really enjoyed that too, as it showed all the elaborate displays made out of 'food' at the different WDW hotels. But they did not air it at all in 2008, and now that Guy Fieri's show is coming on, they may not air Raven's WDW Holiday special again!! Travel Channel doesn't mind airing Disney specials all day long if they have to (a marathon), but Food Network is a little more frugal with their Disney programming!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Very cool! I actually did see him last December and I saw all the cameras and everything. But that was in the morning and I was hustling to get to the Space FP machines. Maybe I'll see myself on TV.
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Leofoenget
DIS Veteran

Anyone want to bet there will be a "Princess and the Frog" food network Challenge episode too? They seem to do all their food network stuff all at once. I bet they will!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Everybody remember to set those DVRs, VCRs, etc.! Guy's DLR Holiday special is finally on tomorrow night on the Food Network!! I can't wait to see it because I am itching to get back to my favorite place for the holidays!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I should also give a shout out to that HGTV special "Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays" that DisneySuiteFreak was nice enough to tell us about last week. I watched it and the Samantha Brown Disney Holiday show within a few days of each other to make a decent comparison, and while Samantha's show was fun and featured tiny little segments on DLR during the holidays sandwiched in between all the WDW stuff, I actually think the HGTV show was more of a comprehensive overview of holidays at WDW and how it all comes together. It was really detailed and informative and totally covered all things Disney holiday in the show, whereas Samantha's show tended to veer off a bit into some non-holiday territory at times. Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays had very good segments on the 'edible' ornaments at the hotels, on the plants, Christmas trees, topiaries and poinsettias, on the lights, garland, with facts and figures, etc. It was sort of an all-encompassing look at the holidays, Disney style. Very educational.

There was no mention of DLR at Christmastime in this HGTV special, but that was okay with me. Except for the fact that WDW is so enormous in comparison to DLR, many of the same preparations and arrangements WDW employs to prepare for its holiday season are also used at DLR, just on a smaller scale. I think anyone who loves Disney and especially loves Disney during the holidays will appreciate this HGTV special even if they are partial to DLR. So I definitely recommend it.

It is interesting that part of Guy Fieri's show tomorrow night is supposed to cover making gingerbread houses at DLR. Hasn't it been established that there are no gingerbread houses sold at DLR? Last I recall reading here on the DIS, people were saying they didn't see any sold anywhere in DLR and I didn't see them last year, either. So unless Guy is doing a segment on the Jazz Kitchen and their gingerbread house-making workshop, I can't figure out where these houses are that he is doing a segment on!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Bump (the show is on tonight, so don't want to let this slip too far down the page)!!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Got my DVR recording it!
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
mama2twoluvbugs
Earning My Ears

Wooohooo we leave on christmas eve...so I have def. set my DVR to help us set the mood...
mama2twoluvbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
DisCookie
Mouseketeer

It's on now, here anyways
Old 12-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Brancaneve
DIS Veteran

Where do you get the crepes? Those looked so yummy!
Next time we go, I really need to get off the rides and search out the food. I really regretted not wandering into more food establishments in the park when I was there last weekend!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: