Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Student drowns on class trip

As a teacher and parent, this is one of my worst nightmares:
http://www.wnem.com/hotlinks/19642156/detail.html

Most schools in our area go to Mackinac as part of their end of the year class trip somewhere between 4-6th grade. I've stayed at this Holiday Inn before, too. Report is saying that there were plenty of chaperones there, but somehow the child still drowned. No lifeguard, typical of most hotels. I come from a family of teachers, and, when we stay at a hotel together, we're the "worst" moms possible, yelling at our own kids and other people's kids in the pool, because it's so hard to keep track of them every single second, and some people just let them run loose. Uurgh. I can't imagine how the other kids that were there are going to feel, too.

Sigh.

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Oh, wow, this is so sad. He is adorable.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Stacerita
AKA the Lexus TinklerMy bad-its Miss Understood. Sorry. Got my drag queens mixed
I guess I did look more like a Hooter's girl than I wanted to

How horrible for the family.

Inappropriate graphics will be deleted from signatures.
Please remember this is a family-friendly site
Stacerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
SCHBR'smom
My mind is as clear and focused as.... oh, look

You can ignore my chores, too

What a nightmare for everyone! I heard on the news before that drownings such as this are not from a lack of supervision, but a lax in supervision. It's one of my biggest fears when my kids go anywhere in such a large group.

You may now call me SCHBRVM'smom.
SCHBR'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
ajk912
Dum..dum...dum...we are in the Twilight Zone
Yup, I generally don't sweat the gas
Frenzied free for all!!

That's so sad!!

That type of thing TERRIFIES me. My cousin drowned when we were all teens (he was a year younger than me, he was my brother's age) it was so sad. I am so terrified it would happen again. My 9 year old son is going on a mission trip with the church in July (I am unable to go, I have no one to watch the other kids) and I will have to stress to him DO NOT GO DEEPER than you can stand!!! He is used to OUR pool, but not any other people..and like others say..it's not lack of supervision, but lax supervision. With all the kids everywhere, it's hard to see who is goofing off and who is drowning (unless you know your kid and know how they act!!)

BTW, my kids do take swim lessons..and my son can swim about half the length of the pool no problem. But then he starts freaking out and doesn't breathe right, and ends up gasping for breath and needs to stand up. They are all still in swim lessons. But still, because I know someone personally who drowned I am super paranoid about it. I hate to tell him he can't go..because of my paranoia..but I don't know. The whole situation is sad.
ajk912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

That's very sad.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

So sad.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
happygirl
DIS Veteran

How sad!! Prayer go out to his family
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The students on the trip are expected to be returning home Wednesday.
What!?!?!? How can any of them continue on with this field trip? That's another week. (Unless the article meant the were returning the day the article was written.)

Such as sad story. DD is going to Dorney Park with her class tomorrow. I'm going to be a mess. Amusement parks and rides make me nervous.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
TerriP
"Slow 100 Post" Winner
Part of the DISney "Magic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
What!?!?!? How can any of them continue on with this field trip? That's another week. (Unless the article meant the were returning the day the article was written.)
This student was in my girlfriend's daughter's class. The students returned home yesterday. If you're so inclined, please pray for the family of this young boy as well as for his classmates...as you can imagine, this is an extremely difficult time for so many.

DL -
12/98
WDW -
09/99 ASMo
12/01 PO - Riverside
09/02 AKL
09/03 AKL
10/04 AKL (I see a pattern here!)
11/06 CSR
TerriP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
LuvOrlando
DIS Veteran

-
1993 WDL & WDW PORR for Honeymoon,94 PORR,95 OKW,96 PORR,98 Hilton, 2000 PORR,03Poly&Univ Porto, 04 WL & 04 Cont & Univ Porto,05 AKL&Univ Porto & Poly,06PORR&UnivRP, 07AKL&UnivPorto&Poly,10Hilton&PORFQ,11Hilton&Poly, 12Poly,13CB&Univ Porto (I think I'm missing a few trips in there LOL)

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 10-23-2011 at 02:44 PM.
LuvOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
agnes!
*sigh*
He had a yowl that could peel paper
I would never joke around about making money
My AI Loser Tag

My sympathies to the family & friends of the little boy. Here's his picture:

Kind of scary that there were 20-25 students in the pool area AND 12 chaperones AND 2 teachers...that's more than a 2-1 ratio of adults/children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
... I would, however, recommend a buddy system with the restrooms because there are many many teens roaming around who take day bus trips without adults.... JMO
My rule when chaperoning on school trips and in Girl Scouts was "3(or however many were in the small-group) go in? Then 3 *better* come out."

We had always emphasized this but all it took, on an overnight camping-trip, was for one little Brownie to get left behind at the bathroom by some careless friends (what made it really scary for her is that it was after dark)...
NEVER *ever* happened again in any group I had responsibility for.

agnes!

*this* spot still sacred to
Those no longer here - you are not forgotten...........
(also remembering all the pets who have owned me, including "James", "Sugar", "Gabriel" & "Nancy")
Thanks to Grumpy Pirate I sometimes do have a seasonal smilie. I also remember when American Idol was GOOD.
Do not read beauty magazines...they will only make you feel UGLY.
agnes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
Jynohn
DIS Veteran

This thread makes me so sad. My son's teammate drowned while they were at football camp in Maine two years ago. I'll never forget getting the phone call, my husband and I were at Disney at the time.

Prayers for this poor boy's family and all of his classmates.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes! View Post
Kind of scary that there were 20-25 students in the pool area AND 12 chaperones AND 2 teachers...that's more than a 2-1 ratio of adults/children.
We had a student drown here a couple three years ago at the end-of-the-year pool party at one of our middle school pools. There were two classes of 5th graders, IIRC, swimming at the pool while teachers, some parent chaperons AND certified lifeguards supervised the party. Unfortunately, one boy slipped underwater unnoticed and laid there for several minutes before he was spotted. Police investigation determined that the supervision was in place at the time, there was not excessive "horseplay" involved, the pool was under its swimmer capacity, and proper procedures were being followed. It was a terrible accident.

In addition to the family of the child, keep the teachers and parents in mind too. The lifeguards in the above case were high-schoolers and my wife knows the family of one of them. Their child had to deal with a lot of emotional problems due to the fact that they internalized a lot of "guilt" that the boy's death was "their fault" even though they had been cleared by the investigation.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."

Last edited by Geoff_M; 06-04-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
hentob
Sanita clogs are fabulous
It was the best surprise
He knows to turn his ringer off

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I've been to Dorney Park many, many times and can tell you the lifeguards watching over the water areas are extremely vigilant. They stand over the pool area and do not hesitate to intervene if rough housing of any kind goes on in the water.
With that being said, there has been a drowning death at Dorney in the past

I worked there years ago and these lifeguards are just kids themselves...getting paid a low wage.

Dorney's Wild Water Kingdom is PACKED with children that are bussed in day after day. Many of these kids are not able to swim, yet there parents let them come and do the water park

I would NOT rely on any lifeguard. I would make sure my child was a VERY strong swimmer before I sent him/her on a swim trip without me. Even then, I would not be sure I would allow them to go

Those poor parents
hentob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: