Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

CHRISTMAS VACATION (The Trip, Not the Movie): 12/19 - We're back, TR link on p. 25

Welcome to a compulsive planner's first foray in the world of the trippie! I'm going to (try) to keep the installments of my PTR easily accessible and very well organized, but please forgive me in advance if I'm not able to

So, without further delay...let's get this baby started!!!

INDEX

How Our Trip Came To Be: The Story

The Basics of Our Trip: Details, Flights Booked!, To Eat/To Drink Lists, Park Tickets Arrive, Day 1 Food in DTD, Day 2 Food in DHS, Day 3 Food in MK, Day 5 Food in Epcot, Final(ish) Plan for ADRs, ADRs Booked!!, Behind the Seeds Booked!, Wishes Dessert Party Booked!, Updated Itinerary to include MVMCP

Twists, Turns and Surprises: Changes Already?, Cirque du Soleil-La Nouba, Keys to the Kingdom Tour, Behind the Seeds-Anything's a Possibility, October Anniversary Trip in the Works, Cirque Tickets a Whole 8 Days Early!, Could it be---Deluxe Dining?!, Did Someone Say Cake?, KTTK & MVMCP No More, The Final Surprise: An Upgraded Resort, In The Words of Britney Spears---Oops I Did It Again, Another Resort Change

Fun Stuff: Pin Collecting, My First Disney Pins, The Neverending Quest for a Decent Looking Comfortable Shoe, New Camera Bag, Pre-Trip Shopping!, More Shopping - Disney Shirts For All!!, Got My Disney Shirts, Do I Like Them??, The Shirt Saga Continues, BWV Christmas Tree Swap, Special Souvenier from Lurkyloo, Mickey Mail, Trip Shopping & 30 Days Til The Trip!

Random Thoughts & Incoherent Ramblings: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Last edited by annnewjerz; 12-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
annnewjerz

So, why are we going?

Like most of you on these boards, I am quite the Disney fanatic. No, I don't have a room in my house dedicated to Disney doo-dads and Pez dispensers and I'm not covered in Disney tattoos (although I am considering my first), but that doesn't make me any less of an enthusiast, does it?? (More on me later though)

Our last trip to The World was in September 2007 during Free Dining. We stayed at All-Star Sports and it was DH's first trip ever to WDW. Unfortunately, this was my first trip to WDW as an adult and I had no idea what planning was involved---so we winged it. One week later, after many attempts at walk-up meals, full days at the park and our fair share of arguments with the rest of our group we returned to New Jersey exhausted. DH didn't experience the "magic" and I had thought for sure that would be our last trip to The World as a married couple.

Luckily, in 2008 I happened to meet another amazing DISer over on the Photo Board and was offered the opportunity to rent DVC points at the Boardwalk this year. If only I could convince DH. This was my chance for redemption, my chance to show DH how fantastic WDW could truly be, my chance to sell him on the magic and my chance to see The World at Christmas!!!

.......and so the quest began.

After crunching the numbers, figuring out when we could take vacation and selling DH on all of the pros that BWV had to offer over All-Star Sports, he decided that if we could get a Standard View Studio, we could go at Christmas time this year!

I was overwhelmed with excitement. I knew that the Standard View Studios were hard to come by and that to do this trip "right" a lot more planning would be involved. On January 13, 2009 I got the glorious call that we had secured the Standard View Studio at BWV for $95 per night!!! What a steal, this would most certainly get DH looking forward to the trip, right?

The trip is now officially booked and so the rest of the planning continues.
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
annnewjerz

Details.

So, here are the basic details for the trip.

The Details:

Dates: December 12-18, 2009

The Hotel(s): 1 night @ POP, 5 nights @ BWV

Special Events Planned:
  • Candlelight Processional
  • Tour Deluxe Resorts to See Christmas Decorations
  • Osborne Lights

The "Cast Members":

Me (Ann) - 25. A little weird, loud and just a bit obnoxious, but all around good person (or so I have been told). Married to DH for 4 years. New Jersey native who was transplanted to a sub-base in CT for a year after getting married and is VERY happy to be back in good ol' New Jersey!

Taken on the Boardwalk while waiting to be seated at ESPN Club to watch the Phillies game.

DH (Erik) - 26. Also a little weird, but in a much less obnoxious way. My high-school sweetheart who was taken away for a period of time (actually 6 years, but "period of time" sounded better) while serving in the US Navy as a submariner. After marrying in 05 and getting off of active duty in 06, he moved back to NJ with me where we purchased a house and filled it with 6 cats and2 big dumb dogs.

Taken in the America Pavillion in Epcot in 07.

and a last minute player..........

DM (Lois) - I would never be so cruel as to list her age in a public forum. My Mom hasn't been on a vacation in about 12 years and has had a rough couple of years (my Dad passed away a few years ago), so we decided to invite her along for the trip!!

Last edited by annnewjerz; 04-29-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
awaldo
Mouseketeer

I'm intrigued. Can't wait to hear about your planning!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaldo View Post
I'm intrigued. Can't wait to hear about your planning!

My first interested party!! Unfortunately, I'm still about 8 months out, so this is going to be a long wait (which is part of the reason I started the PTR---I need something to keep my mind off of how far away the trip is!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
ohhhh! I bet this time you'll love Disney!!! I'm going to be there the same time as you, except the 14-18. A shorter trip, but well worth it! I'll be at the Beach Club (hopefully), so right next door! Can't wait ot hear your plans.
I'm really hoping he loves Disney more than before, we have some agreed upon terms (we have to take a break at some point during the day and enjoy the pool at least a few times), so hopefully that'll make things better than in 07. New London was my home for a short while (DH was stationed on a sub in Groton), I'm definitely missing me some Tim Hortons!

Enjoy your trip!!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
awaldo
Mouseketeer

We just decided to take my mother with us, so we share that commonality!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
annnewjerz

Changing it up a bit.

After booking BWV for December 12-18, 2009, logically the next step would be to look for airfare, wait for park hours, etc.

For me, this wasn't the case. The next logical step was to add an extra night at POP Century. I mean...why not, right? We are now arriving on Saturday instead of Sunday (more on why later) and will have a whole extra day in WDW. Booking POP for that extra night helped reinforce to me (and to DH more importantly) how much of a steal the room at BWV is.

1 night @ POP with AAA discount = $90 per night
1 night @ BWV on points = $95 per night

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

The next "twist" in the plan was to add a third member to our party. Originally, the trip was planned for myself and DH. We typically go on one trip per year and really enjoy going on them alone, it gives us a chance to relax and reconnect. This year was a little different though. About 3 years ago, my Father passed away. My DM doesn't have a travel companion and really hasn't been on a trip in about 12 years anyway, so being that she loved WDW when she went when we were kids, we extended the invite and she has accepted!

This is going to complicate the trip a little more, because adding people always makes it hard to please everyone, doesn't it? She has already informed me that she is happy to leave the planning to me and that she will do whatever we'd like to do with the exception of a few requests (a certain attraction, show, restaurant, etc.) It will also make our Standard View Studio a little cramped and maybe a little awkward, but she is more than willing to stay on the sleeper sofa and since money is tight it seems like the perfect solution.

I'm nervous and excited about having her come with us all at the same time. We have our moments where we butt heads like no others, but hopefully the fantasticness that is Disney will keep us both calm, cool and collected. If not, nothing can be worse than the blow-out we had with my DB and DSIL in 07

Last edited by annnewjerz; 04-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

ohhhh! I bet this time you'll love Disney!!! I'm going to be there the same time as you, except the 14-18. A shorter trip, but well worth it! I'll be at the Beach Club (hopefully), so right next door! Can't wait ot hear your plans.
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Villainess
Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Joining in this PTR too! I'm sure you'll have fun with your DM there - I'm going at the end of Aug with my kids AND exDH - that should be interesting!

I would do MVMCP - I've never done it but it just seems so magical and Christmasy!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post
Joining in this PTR too! I'm sure you'll have fun with your DM there - I'm going at the end of Aug with my kids AND exDH - that should be interesting!

I would do MVMCP - I've never done it but it just seems so magical and Christmasy!
Thanks for stopping by here as well---a fellow NJian is always welcome

I hope you do a photo TR of some sort when you get back from your trip. I really enjoy seeing everyone's stuff over on the photo board, but I'm starting to get to the point where I want to see as many WDW pics as possible to get me pumped for our trip.

Good luck with the kids and exDH, I'm sure you'll at least come back with some interesting stories
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
Villainess
Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

I will definitely do a TR for the upcoming trip - I'm currently writing the one from our last trip.

And yes, I agree, I should have lots of interesting stories - we will be at OKW and BWV

Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post
I will definitely do a TR for the upcoming trip - I'm currently writing the one from our last trip.

And yes, I agree, I should have lots of interesting stories - we will be at OKW and BWV

Oooooh BWV. Have you ever been before? We're staying there for the first time during our December trip and I cannot wait!

I just noticed you have a PTR, I'm going to pop over now and get caught up.

Edited to add: NEVERMIND! I see that your PTR is for your trip earlier in 2009. Oh well.

Last edited by annnewjerz; 07-15-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
raider97
DIS Veteran

Anymore thoughts on MVMCP? I think it would be fun. You guys could compromise on it.... do some rides for your mom and then maybe see the Christmas parade. Just an idea. I loved it when I went in 1998.

I think your hitchhiking ghosts are just adorable. Did you buy them as a set? I just bought a set of the pirate cuties. I think they are adorable have you seen them?

Stephanie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: