Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

Off site resort - Nickhotel - help!

I came back from a trip in Feb and stayed at the All Star Music, Im already itching to go back, but now wonder is there a big difference staying off site vs. on? First top choice would be the Nickelodeon Hotel.

Any input on hotel. How can I get from airport to hotel since I cant use DME and not renting car.

Please help ...thanx in advance
Ivette1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

I have been to WDW 3 times. First trip was offsite, second was POP, third was ASM. I will never stay offsite again.
We always book a package and apply a code if applicable and dont compare any other prices.
I prefer the Disney transportation we dont have to rent a car or drive anywhere as we stay grounded to WDW.
Plus they pick up our luggage and deliver it magically to our room.
We can purchase anything charge it to our room pay all at once at checkout and send any packages bought at DTD or the parks back to out hotel for easy pick-up.
We also love that its always Disney themed never a break from Disneymania at the hotel.
Plus we get to have the EMH, no need to park at the parks, walk to the parked cars or pay for parking.
Im sure there are other good points I enjoy but those are the firsts that come to mind.

ANd unless your hotel offers airport pickup you would probably be stuck with a taxi ride to the hotel.
Malibustyle23 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Moving this to the our Orlando Hotels Board.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
BubblesNH
Mouseketeer

I think the best advantage to being on-site is the ability to come back to the room in the early afternoon, have a rest and hit the pool and then to return to the parks in late afternoon early evening. If you have small kids this is a must! If you are staying off-site its just too much of a hassle and you stay all day until everyone is dragging.

Michelle DH DD DS

BubblesNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
leagirl12
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't stay anywhere but on site.....it is just too dang convenient.
2009 - 1st Cruise on the Wonder
2012 - 7 night Cruise on the Fantasy
leagirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #6
lastminutemom
DIS Veteran

In my opinion, a car is necessary at Nick Hotel. There is nothing in the general area to walk to and the hotel food options are overpriced and not particularly good. They do run a shuttle to the parks (but I am not sure it is free) and you have to go on their schedule.

I wouldn't say offsite without a car.
lastminutemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
dhdozier
Happily Sharing Memories with my Family

How about this?

I love both the Nick and Disney hotels. Are you staying long enough to break it up to stay at a Disney Value and then a night or two at Nick? And you def. need to rent a car if you are considering staying off site - I know there are folks on this board who can help you find some great rental deals!
dhdozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Nick Hotel looks amazing! However I have heard some complaints from parents who couldn't get their kids to leave to go to the parks We are considering doing 2 or 3 nights there next year, but those will not be park days. If you still want to do WDW, I agree with the PP that a split stay is the way to go.

You will have to rent a car to stay there, but if you rent from Alamo you could do some nights at Nick Hotel and then drop your car off at CCC -- they will shuttle you to your WDW resort. Or do Nick Hotel at the end and pick up from CCC.

You didn't say how old your kids are -- if they're older (10 and up) they might really like US. Hard Rock Hotel is supposed to be great for kids and if you stay there you get free FOTL passes (US has an amazing deal on tickets right now, too)

We love WDW, but we realize it's not the only game in town.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

So do u think it would be possible to split bet. on and off site. Staying at the Nick hotel first, then switching to a Disney hotel. Not rent a car at all but stay at the hotel for the first couple of days so that kids can enjoy their characters and then cab it to the other hotel and enjoy the disney transportation?

My last vacation in Feb for 7 days we did not rent and bused everywhere we went and took advantage of the DME. I know the Nick has the shuttle to and from airport so that cool. I just love the fact that they would be able to enjoy the best of both the Nick & Disney world.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
jjjmranch
Mouseketeer

My friends just came back from the Nick hotel and loved it. They hated the shuttle service. They used their rental car to go to the parks after the first day.

jjjmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

My opinion is on-site is a Disney vacation and the only way to go if you are spending all your time at Disney.

Off-site to me is a Florida vacation with some Disney. We had a wonderful trip this past December off-site. We visited Coco Beach/Daytona beach and they were heavenly plus their is a huge savings as neither requires tickets. We visite Lake Eola which was also beautiful. Ate at some very nice off-site resturants. Visited the Gaylord. Had a much larger room then we would at Disney, had a suite/ free internet/ free breakfast/free dinner/ a kitchen/ full fridge/microwave/diswasher that the maid ran daily all this much much cheaper than WDW. Shoped at the outlets and got great deals on Disney merchandise. And of course visited the MK and downtown Disney.

So it depends what you want. We actually had such a great time off-site that I am leaving in 3 days for a week at Daytona Beach and no Disney. Yikes, never thought I would do that! I'll make up for it in June though with 8 nights at the Contemporary.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
toverly
Mouseketeer

Splitting would be the best of both worlds. But I would do Disney first and Nick second. The reason is that Nick is so relaxing for parents. Your kids will play and play at the pool and you will get a chance to sit back and relax in the sun. They are so close, even a cab ride would not be much.
toverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
CTmommyx3
DIS Veteran

We just got back from our 3rd stay at Nick Hotle a few weeks ago. I LOVE it. We did have a car. If you have a car then it is super close to the parks. We left Epcot to come back swim and eat and really did not find it too much trouble at all. My kids are 7 1/2 6 and 2. YES last year they did want to leave MK to go back to the hotel!! But if you have a plan to not be at a park everyday then it is so much fun! The kids all loved the pools, the characters, the show and all. For us our next trip will also be Nick hotel.
They have food in the mall area, yes overpriced but really so is any Disney food I have had! But we had the 50 dollar a day food credit so we had some meals there for free anyway.
I have this slide show of some of our pictures from the hotel.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
Ivette1980
Mouseketeer

It looks like so much fun. Do you think it would be simple to get a taxi from Nick hotel to one of the DW resorts. I am planning 10 days trip next yr. A couple of days at Nick hotel, then the rest at AKV. I do plan on staying in just the Nick hotel relaxing and enjoying the pools and sun. One thing we did not get to do when we stood at ASM, of course pools there were'nt so thrilling but we were always on the go. This time I want to enjoy more than a good nights rest.

Once we get over to AKV, like our past trip, we did not have a car and bused everywhere. it was easy, didn't miss a thing. What do ya'll think?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
kellydizfan
DIS Veteran

We are doing 8 days, 7 nights at POR than transferring for 2 nights at the Nick Hotel July/August of this year. Have never stayed there and looking forward to it. We have a Spongebob room reserved for the 2 nights. We will have our car as we are driving. We usually stay our full vacation at Disney. We have never been to Universal as a family. My DD's have with my Mom & Aunt back in 2004 but we are just going to Nick to relax before heading home - yes the kids will be busy but we can sit and enjoy the sun, etc. Figured we don't need to hit the water parks at Disney - save the days for the other parks - 2 days in each park.
OKW 8/11-8/16/13, CSR 12/8-12/13/13, POP 8/24/11-8/31/11, Nick Hotel 8/4/09-8/6/09, POR 7/28/09-8/4/09-DS B-day, Eastern DCL 4/08, Europe 3/08, Hawaii Cruise 07, OKW 3/07, AKL 8/06, Europe 4/06, BCV & SSR 10/04, BCV 2/03 & DVC Cruise, POR 5/02, CBR 5/96, CBR 5/91, DL 8/87, Offsite 83 & 75
kellydizfan is offline   Reply With Quote