DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
xmas16
Mouseketeer

If you knew then what you know now?

As I contemplate a DVC membership I'm also wondering if any of you current DVC owners would change anything about your purchase experience ? Any tips that you can offer a prospective buyer that you didn't get when you went through the process?

Steve
xmas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I wish I would have split my 250 points into 2 contracts of 150 and 100 (150 was the min at the tim). I would like to buy at GCV but I really don't need more points. If I would have split it, I could sell the 100 and buy 100 at GCV.
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas16 View Post
As I contemplate a DVC membership I'm also wondering if any of you current DVC owners would change anything about your purchase experience ? Any tips that you can offer a prospective buyer that you didn't get when you went through the process?

Steve
I would have purchased more points from the get go at my initial home resort, instead of not and then adding on later at the same resort. Adding-on at another resort is okay, but I should have just gotten what we wanted at one time.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

I would have bought in YEARS earlier.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan View Post
I would have bought in YEARS earlier.
yeah, that too...

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
wdwnut
DIS Veteran

Me too! I would have bought OKW in 93 (instead of waiting for BWV) and had 7 years of free passes. Then I would have just done an add-on or two at BWV.
wdwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

I would have liked to have bought a few years earlier and more points the first time (and split them - which I know I would not have known even then).

We have added on once at our first home resort, then we bought at BCV and then added on again at BCV.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
thesupersmartguy
DIS Veteran

I regret not buying in earlier.

Happily living in Celebration, FL

Recent Trips To Disney:

8/08 YC Club Level Turret Suite and CBR Check Out My Trip Report UPDATED 1/28 with Turret Suite Pics!: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1922686

12/08 DTD Hilton CL and GF RPC Details Here:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2029616
thesupersmartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
rigsby25
DIS Veteran

Random thoughts. It's not that we regret buying, but we are getting kind of tired of WDW. Like one year, we went 4 times. How many times can you go on a ride? At first it was nice that they put in a new ride Soarin' and at Animal Kingdom - Expedition Everest, but there hasn't been anything else really new and exciting. No problem. We have been spending our points at Vero Beach and loving the ocean instead of a park. We bought 210 points resale and then added 100 AKV through DVC. We are going in October to see the new Kidani village. I hope it is really nice, because I stayed at Jamba house and was disappointed at the accommodations. Also, we are just now looking at other places to stay and wondering if it might be worthwhile to sell and stay offsite. There is nothing wrong with DVC - don't get me wrong, but I have seen enough off site resorts to know we could probably be better off booking there when we wanted to go. One thing for sure, with DVC we do plan more vacations than we ever had. My daughter married at the Swan and Dolphin, and we were able to book 2 2BR rooms at OKW for the wedding party. And one time, we rented a Grand Villa and had a family reunion. You somehow don't think of the cost when you have points. The guests we bring always, always are impressed!

Last edited by rigsby25; 02-14-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Add an idea
rigsby25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
Reginak
Mouseketeer

We love DVC!!! However, it is for completely different reasons than I first expected. For instance, no worries about the huge hotel bill and no hotel hijacking my credit card (placing huge holds) for things that we don't even use. Vacations are prepaid for app. 50 yrs. - you may not be saving as much as you expected with the current deals, but what do you think room rates might be in 30 yrs? I expect to save a lot and have already saved a lot.
The reassurance that we will be going back to a really neat place. Staff that go the extra mile to help you so often that people take the service for granted and actually get mad when they don't receive special treatment.

We would have bought more points many years earlier.

Regina
Reginak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
nordkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
I would have purchased more points from the get go at my initial home resort, instead of not and then adding on later at the same resort. Adding-on at another resort is okay, but I should have just gotten what we wanted at one time.
I agree with you. We have added on twice and wish we had just bought enough points the first time.
nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
december14disney
December Magic

I wish we bought so much earlier. Sigh.
08/10 Trip with 30 friends!
10/10 at Beach Club or Boardwalk Villas!

Proud member of the Kidani Club and proud DVC owner!

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/kidanikatie
december14disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
jodifla

DIS Veteran

We are REALLY happy with our purchase back in '96. We just missed the park passes....I would have liked to bought in in '93, but we weren't quite ready.

I'm glad we didn't buy TOO MANY points....We bought in at 150, then added 56 at BCV and have always felt like we had enough points to enjoy ourselves without being overly tied to just DVC vacations.

The rules do change...you can't get too locked in to your perceptions of how things should be. Some have changed for the better (free Internet) others for the worse (Stupid 4 month booking rule!) but we still love our DVC.

Good luck to you!
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Strackfam
Disney on my mind

What is the 4 month booking rule?
Strackfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strackfam View Post
What is the 4 month booking rule?
Well, the booking rule really hasn't changed, I think the poster was probably referrig to the new-ish 4 month banking window, meaning you can not bank any points during the last 4 months of your use year.

Also you can not initiate a trade outside of DVC, including the Disney Collection, during the last 4 months of your use year. A fairly recent change is that now the Disney collection requires a $95 processing fee per reservation, DisneyLAND is currently exempt, but most folks expect that exemption to evaporate after the VGC come online.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: