Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

>>FAQ's**FAQ'S** FAQ's<< incl. POSTING PHOTOS and FINDING YOUR POSTS

to the DISboards! We are so happy you decided to join us by reading and hopefully joining in with our vibrant Disney community. This Welcome Board is the Reception Desk for the DISboards-- a place to post and say hello and ask questions.

As moderators we may move your question to another forum here where you are more likely to get the answers you are looking for.

You do not need to register on the DIS in order to post your questions on this board. In order to start a thread or post a reply just click on the appropriate button. You must enter a username, if you choose one that is already in use on the DIS you will recieve a message stating it is in use and must select another. If you choose not to register you will only be able to post on the Welcome Board. We encourage you to sign up, it is fast, free and fun!

We hope that these Common Frequently Asked Questions will help you to get aquainted with our boards and get you started enjoying the boards. Many questions are Technical in nature as far as how these boards work. If you have further questions on a Technical topic or a question that is not answered here please post it on our Technical Support Board: http://www.disboards.com/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=43

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS

Last edited by lovetoscrap; 06-26-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

If you can not post on any other boards:
Quote:
Please take a look at this thread and follow the instructions in the first post. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1691328
Board Guidelines:
Quote:
Please take a few minutes to read our board guidelines. http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

Subscribing to threads/finding your posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterKathy View Post
You have the ability to subscribe to threads you're interested in. When you subscribe, you can choose whether to be notified by email when a new post is made to that thread, and whether you'll get an email immediately or weekly, or whether you'd rather just check your subscription list here on the board to see which threads have new posts.

When you register, you're initially set up to subscribe any time you post to a thread, and to receive an email each time a new post is made. Here's some information to help you customize this behavior.

First, go to your User Control Panels(user cp), then click on Edit Options. Look for the section titled Messaging and Notification,

The Default Thread Subscription Mode has a drop-down box that will allow you to select whether and how you want to subscribe and be notified. The choices are:

Do Not Subscribe - no automatic subscriptions
No email notification - you'll be subscribed to a thread when you post to it, but you won't get an email
Instant email notification - you'll be subscribed to a thread when you post to it, and you'll get an email each time a new post is made to that thread
Daily email notification - you'll be subscribed to a thread when you post to it, and you'll get an email each day with a list of all of subscribed threads with new posts
Weekly email notification - you'll be subscribed to a thread when you post to it, and you'll get an email each week with a list of all of subscribed threads with new posts

**Note** changing these settings will affect any future default subscriptions, but you will need to follow the below instructions for removing or changing your current subscriptions.

To Subscribe to or Unsubscribe from an individual thread:
When you are reading a thread, look for the Thread Tools button in the toolbar above the first post. Clicking this will produce a menu, where you can click on Subscribe to add that thread to your list of subscribed threads. You can do this on any thread, there's no requirement that you have a post in that thread.

If you are already subscribed to a thread, the Thread Tools menu will allow you to unsubscribe.

You may find it easiest to use the "No email notification" option and to subscribe only to threads you care about following rather than automatically subscribing to any thread you post to. Then you can check the list of subscribed threads for new activity by just clicking on User CP.
To find posts that you already made
Quote:
Click on your username in a post and select "Find All Posts by. . ." and posts you have already made will come up, but it may take a few days for them to be archived in our search system.
Signature Guidelines:
OR
Why isn't my ticker/photo/list showing up?
Quote:
It is most likely because you have too much in your signature. The software automatically cuts off your signature at our required length. You can see the entire thing when you preview, but when what is actually posted is much shorter. You can see the signature length guideline on our Tech Support page. Use that to make your sig smaller-- like put all your past trips or family members in one line separated by a * or / and get rid of spaces. That will pull it up and then your ticker can fit. Test this by posting on our TEST BOARD (found on our Tech Support board) and see how your sig actually shows up.

Adding a signature

Quote:
Adding a signature is just like making a post. Go to USER CP, and select EDIT SIGNATURE and put in what you want. Make sure you look at our Signature Guidelines. Thanks to Webmaster Will we have a great VIDEO TUTORIAL on how to make a signature that you can find here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1947588
How Do I Post a Link to my Trip Report and/or Chapter Links

Quote:
Get the url address for your trip report and copy it.
For Chapter links click on the post # in the right hand corner it opens up a new screen and you can copy that URL.

Go to edit your signature, or edit on your first post, and then type out the name of your Trip Report or Chapter and highlight it.

Click on the link icon . Paste your url address there, then click okay.

How to post a Photo
Quote:
Thanks to Webmaster Will we have a great VIDEO TUTORIAL on how to post photos that you can find here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1947588 . This is going to be the best resource to earn how to do this. This thread is also a great place to get started and ask questions if need help. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1359157
Adding or changing you avatar:
Quote:
The picture under you name is called an avatar. To add one, go to your User CP at the top of the page, then click on EDIT OPTIONS (note this is NOT Edit Profile). Go all of the way to the bottom of the page. Click on the change avatar button and follow the directions. Thanks to Webmaster Will we have a great VIDEO TUTORIAL on how to work with photos and avatars that you can find here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1947588
Countdown Timers/Tickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_mommy
1. Go to a ticker website (http://www.distickers.com/ticker/main.php) and create your ticker. You will be given several options to post the ticker, including bbCode, UBBCode, HTML and ezCode. Do not select HTML code as that is not used on the DIS.
2. Put your cursor at the beginning of the code in the bbCode box, click the left mouse button and hold down to highlight, go to the end of the code in the box and let go of the button.
3. Now right click in the box and select copy.
4. Open another internet window and go to the DISboards and log in.
5. From the DIS front page, click Quick Links from the dark blue bar near the top of the page.
6. From the drop-down menu, click Edit Signature.
7. Underneath your current signature is a box to type in. Find where you want to place your ticker and click there once with your mouse.
8. Now right click and select paste.
9. Scroll down and select the button to Preview Signature. If it looks good, select the Save Signature button.
Thanks so much disney-mommy for taking the time to help me out with this one.

Testing
Quote:
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Do NOT post a "TEST" just to see if your ticker/signature/photo/avatar etc are working on the Welcome Board or any other board except for our TEST board found here: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88 You may post as many test threads/posts as you want over there but it really clutters our other threads/boards when they are put anywhere else. Be courteous to your fellow posters and moderators and follow this rule or you will find your posts deleted or moved without further notice.

Abbreviations:
Quote:
A list of most all the abbreviations you will find on these Forums can be found here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1660743 If you run across one that is not there please send me a PM and we will add it.

Why can't I send a PM:
Quote:
If you are receiving an "error_post_count _too_low" message when trying to post a link or send a private message, it simply means that you have not made enough posts on our forums to be able to use these functions.

Once you have 10 posts, both of these functions will be enabled for you. You may, however PM a moderator or Webmaster no matter what your post count.

This is an anti-spam measure, preventing spammers from immediately posting links, inappropriate photos, and sending unsolicited messages to our posters.
Chat:
Quote:
There is a chat schedule posted at the top of the board. Chat is done nightly, and topics are posted on many of the boards on the DIS. Each night they discuss something Disney, and Saturday night is our let down your hair night and Please stop by and give it a try. If you need help with how to log in or anything about Chat please ask on the Tech Support Board.

wdwinfo.com
Quote:
These forums are an amazing resources to find out so much about your chosen Disney Destination (and beyond), but there is actually a better place to start-- our Information site, WDWINFO- www.wdwinfo.com . We have an amazing team of people that are in the parks nearly every day and keep this information updated. At your fingertips you will find details and photos for the resorts, parks, restaurants, and a complete rundown of ticket options, pricing, current discounts and so much more. Often when I am answering a question I have looked the answer up there. I really recommend that you spend time to browse around there and get a really good overview of everything and then come back here for the Q & A.

My favorite part of the site is the complete and current menus WITH PRICES for EVERY restaurant on Disney property. This is the best way to figure out what your food budget should be, and if the Dining Plan might be best for you. Look at the menus, think about what your family will eat and add up the costs.

Lime Green:

Quote:
A few years ago some DISers were trying to figure out a way to identify other random DIS board members at the parks. It was decided that Lime Green would be a great color because at that time it was very rare to see. People would tie lime green ribbons to their bags or make tags or wear a lime green t-shirt in hopes of seeing other DISers in the parks and saying Hi.

Then Home Depot began carrying the Disney paint and the swatches were in the shape of Mickey heads. The color Alien Green is the "unofficial" color for the DISboards and people began using those as an easy way to make tags for their fanny packs, backpacks, lanyards, shirt pins, window decorations and just about anything you can imagine. Usually we write our username on it or other sayings--my kids wear ones that say "future DISer" on them. And of course, these days lime green is a hot color so you can't just assume that anyone with a lg t-shirt or hat or bag is a DIS member. So the LGMH sets us apart.

When you see someone with that on their bag or stroller or person then you know they are a DISer and want to meet others so conversations ensue. Sometimes just a "Hi" sometimes a short conversation or more. One of the first DISers I met this way, in the food court at All Star Movies, I am still friends with and in fact she came all the way out by me on a family vacation with a priority of us going out for dinner.

Now I can' promise you that your HD won't object to you taking them. I don't ask and I don't take ALL of them. I generally just walk by and take a few anytime I am in. I have other colors also that I have used. But I also have repainted and needed the paint swatches so I don't feel to bad about it! Generally we don't ask, we just take a few (you want extras for your bags in case you lose them or mess one up). If you don't want to use those you can also just cut out Mickey heads in lime green from craft foam ( much more durable), or construction/scrapbook paper, or any other material. There are some patterns floating around here on the DIS. You might check in the Creative DISigns board found near the bottom of the main forums list.

Tag Fairies
Surely you're not going to try to explain us, are you?

Quote:
I was going to try, but maybe you should explain yourself???? Here is my best attempt:

Tag Fairies are magical beings who visit the boards, and grace people with colored tags under their usernames. You never know when they are going to strike, or where....you just have to believe (and don't beg!).

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS

Last edited by lovetoscrap; 08-13-2011 at 12:20 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

This is under construction. There will be written instructions added but for now I am just linking to posts elsewhere that should be able to help answer your questions.

Last edited by lovetoscrap; 03-20-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Here are some additional links that may help you maneuver around the DIS, and help you to plan your trip.

Advanced Dining Reservations Calculator Enter in the date you want to make your priority seating resevations(PS) at Walt Disney and press the CALC button and see when you must call to get the best times...a big help.

DIScussion Boards main home page The jump off point to all the discussion boards on this site.

Discussion board Abbreviations here you will find a very helpful list of all the abbreviations you may encounter while reading and posting

Board Guidelines Please read before posting. These are the basic guidelines that everyone should follow.

Frequently asked questions about the boards Problems with the boards? Read these FAQ's for answers.

Countdown Central A place to enter your vacation dates, and see the countdown to your trip.

Countdown list See everyone on the list and who is going when

If you have any questions about clipart, timers, avatars the best place to go is the Tech board, and the folks there will be most happy to help you.

Chat is done nightly, and topics are posted on many of the boards on the DIS. Each night they discuss something Disney, and Saturday night is our let down your hair night and party Please stop by and give it a try.

As a registered member of the DIS you have some space to store your pictures. You can also browse others galleries and rate and leave messages for the photographers.DIS Photo Gallery

Hope this helps

PS. Why do people wear lime green ribbons or buttons? Lime green has become the "official" color of the DIS. Many times DISers wear lime green ribbons so that other DISers can recognize them. The DISers who originated the idea, did so to make sure it was an unusal color that would stand out. It's a way to get to meet other DISers.

Last edited by lovetoscrap; 01-30-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Closed Thread