The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   UK Trip Reports Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   The Williams tour of Florida restrooms - Sponsored by VISA Day Two Are We There Yet (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=432123)

mkingdon 09-03-2003 04:43 AM

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms - Sponsored by VISA Day Two Are We There Yet

Cast

Me - Craig, only just 33. Rucksack carrier and stroller pusher.
Louise - Wife, 34, slowly becoming addicted to WDW.
Emily - Aged 8. Moody, full of attitude and daddy’s girl.
Rebecca - Aged 6. Comedian, Olympic eater and worrier.

The Williams tour of Florida restrooms, sponsored by VISA.

Day Two – Friday 15th August – Are we there yet?

Up at 5.30. Not too hard to rouse the kids. All showered and dressed and down in the lobby by 6.00 for the “courtesy” bus. Now, to me the word courtesy implies that it is provided as a courtesy…..meaning FREE. But no, adults must pay £2 each!! This country knows how to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

So there we are, in the hotel car park, waiting for the “courtesy” bus, along with everybody else in the hotel. So three buses later (and half an hour) we finally get on one. We arrive at terminal one about 2 minutes later (I told you we should have walked). Went to look at the screens to see where to check in. We are not listed. Well, we are quite early, so we wait. We notice an increasing gathering of luggage around us with TCD tickets on. Of course, no one talks to each other as we are British. I wander off to try and find someone to ask. I don’t, but I do see that we should be at some check in desks further into the airport. As I walk back to the family, everyone else has realised this, and I’m caught in a stampede of track suits and trolleys as they dash to the check in.

We join the stampede, and by clipping as many peoples heels as possible with the trolley, and therefore making them stop, we are about fourth in the queue. Nice one.

Thirty minutes later we get to a check in desk. I don’t know about you, but my pet hate is when you are being served (in a shop or wherever) and the server and a colleague are having a conversation between themselves. This really annoys me, and Tracy and Sharon (probably not their real names) were having a right old chin wag about the lady who was patrolling the queue. “Who does she think she is”…..”talk about attitude”…. This set a really nice impression for us the customers.

Anyway, we said “We’re not bothered where we site as long as we are together”. Tracy says “Sorry, we don’t have 4 seats together”. We say “But we are the fourth family to check in”. Tracy says “Sorry, we don’t have 4 seats together”.

Defeated by her superior intellect, we settle for what we have been given.

We had a brief look around the shops before having breakfast in the posh restaurant (posh in comparison to the motorway services equivalent food court). £25 for 2 full English and some bits for the girls…nice.

After breakfast we go through to the departure lounge. Bit of a queue to get past the passport check bit, and Louise gets searched. Must have been her beard that made her look like a terrorist.

First stop Dixons. In July we had bought Emily a Gameboy for her birthday. It had the desired effect, in that she is quiet for hours, and has stopped speaking to us. So I thought, with a nine hour flight to come, I’d get Rebecca one as well.

However, Dixons, the largest high street electrical retailer in the UK didn’t have any. Typical. Then I spotted one on display. Could I have that one I asked? No, they said. Why I asked. *** that one is on display. Obviously I couldn’t contend with this form of higher intelligence today so I left in a sulk.

Browsed duty free for a while and avoiding buying anything (result). Went to the gate and waited some more there. Eventually boarded, and took our seats two rows apart. Luckily, a family had also been split up in the row in between us so I used my superior negotiating skills to broker a deal so we could at least have two sets of two directly in front (or behind) each other. I sat with Emily (remember the Game Boy, I’m not stupid you know).

We left 20 minutes late (and was offered no refund, can you believe it). The flight was good. First time flying with TCD. The plane looked old, but had decent leg room. No seat back tellys which was a bit painful as the kids had no chance of seeing the one screen at the front of our section.

The kids were really well behaved (you won’t hear that again in this report).

We landed slightly ahead of schedule, something about wind apparently. It was raining. So that’s it, holiday ruined before we get off the plane.

I had spent most of the flight filling in the Visa waiver forms so I was confident they were right. That is until I was stood in the line to see the man with the uniform. However, he was really nice and actually chatted with us. We were through immigration in about ten minutes.

Cases came off relatively quickly. I used the same trolley tactic on the heels to gain valuable inches in the queue to go through the x ray stuff. Delcared that I didn’t have a cow in my case and made our way to TCD to sort the villa.

Ten minute queue and I was up. Yes Sir, here is a map to your villa. I had planned this trip so much that I could have found Clear Creek in the dark, in a sand storm, driving backwards whilst asleep, so I wasn’t listening.

Hang on, where’s he drawing that line. South on the 27, no that’s not right, hang on, if he goes any further south we’ll be in Miami!!!! Southern Dunes, the one location (of the four possible) I did not want. I had requested Clear Creek, 13 months ago.

Sorry Sir, you are allocated on arrival and we can’t guarantee location requests. After a few more minutes of friendly discussion, once again I was defeated. Not going too well on the old argument front is it?

So across to Dollar expecting to pick a Sinclair C5. No queue!!! Wandered to the counter to see Gene. A very friendly chap, who had an unbelievable deal for me. Oh yes, was it a game boy located in a villa at Clear Creek????

I declined all upgrades on the grounds that I was now sulking. Then he played his trump card. For just £60 I could have a wonderful 4x4 Jeep. Rebecca, who was with me, showed signs of weakness as Gene showed us the lovely picture of the Jeep being enjoyed by the perfect family. You know the type, two model parents and kids that never give you any lip.

Her eyes widened and Gene knew he had me. Go on then, if I can’t have a Game Boy or the right villa I’ll have a nice car. And it was. It took the girls about a week to climb into it as it was about four feet of the ground, but at least if I hit anything it wouldn’t hurt!!

Felt strangely nervous driving. I’d loved driving last time so couldn’t understand it. Took the 417 down to the I4, and then on to the US27.

Took about an hour, but felt like a week. No mistakes, until I had to turn left across the 27 into Southern Dunes. Ok, so I turned into the left lane of Southern Dunes. A quick detour to the right side of the road and we were there.

The villa was lovely on first impressions. Very big, and looked very nice. We had a larger pool than I imagined, and a hot tub, which was cold. Figure that out.

Kids went in the pool and played whilst Louise unpacked. There was then a certain amount of unpleasantness which resulted in a blocked toilet. However, the plunger was located and all was well. We blocked the loo on the last trip..is it only us??

I did the trip to Wal-Mart, which was literally on our doorstep. After wandering around lost for an hour, I found some food, and after paying $72 I made my way back to the villa. Louise was about to despatch a search party for me, but they would never have found me in Wal-Mart anyway.

Unpacked the shopping. Had our Pizza for tea and watched some telly.

After a long eventful day we collapsed in bed at 9. At 9.01 we are up again. Louise (Princess and the Pea) Williams felt that the sheets were damp. So we had to change all the bedding.

That done we finally got to bed at 9.10. Took me seconds to drop off.

Tomorrow – Magic Kingdom

Claire L 09-03-2003 07:40 AM

In Floida at last. Sounds like a good journey. Can't wait for the rest of the holiday reports.
Claire :D

KayleeUK 09-03-2003 12:30 PM

Brilliant style of writing :) Loving these reports...

Tartan Tigger 09-03-2003 02:56 PM

Love your trolley tactic :teeth:, thats the kind of tactic I use.;)

Can't believe Dixons wouldn't sell you the Gameboy that was on display, what gets me about Dixons at the airport(well Glasgow airport anyway) is that they sell TV's:confused: can you imagine trying to get a widescreen in the overhead compartment.:rolleyes:

Loving your reports, onto day 3.

squitty 09-03-2003 10:55 PM

Excellent report:D

Off to read some more.

Mrs Dazzle 09-04-2003 06:04 AM

Have you noticed something on the trip reports boards . . . it's always the people who write the trip reports that also fill in those blasted visa waiver forms (me included).

We must be such good organisers:p

You're there, yippee:Pinkbounc

Minniespal 09-05-2003 03:02 AM

Wonderful reviews ~ Thanx for sharing!!!!

AlisonB 09-08-2003 12:33 PM

LOL! You didn't have much luck with your arguing did you!

Astrid 09-25-2003 06:18 AM

Hmmm, a cold hot tub??! Hopefully that got sorted!

Know what you mean about Walmart, once you're in there you can hide for days amongst the fishing implements, doughnuts and guns!

Astrid :)