The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Which resorts resale the fastest?? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3298140)

StitchBuddy 07-02-2014 09:09 PM

Which resorts resale the fastest??
 
I am so excited! :banana: My husband has finally agreed to buy into DVC. :cool1: That being said, he wants to know the resort that resales well, just incase he doesn't like it.:confused3

DVCMomBLT 07-02-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StitchBuddy (Post 51777355)
I am so excited! :banana: My husband has finally agreed to buy into DVC. :cool1: That being said, he wants to know the resort that resales well, just incase he doesn't like it.:confused3

All of them. Just at different prices.

cedricandsophie 07-03-2014 05:45 AM

Don't use DVC points as an investment
 
Hi. Just a comment about buying and selling points. If you find that you don't like DVC, you can certainly resell. But as my financial consultant has said many times, don't ever consider this an investment. Buy DVC points because you enjoy the resorts and coming to Disney. We rarely go the parks anymore because we love the resorts so much. Try out a bunch of different resorts to see which ones you like. Then you can determine whether to buy new points from Disney or on the resale market. We have done both. Purchased AK, Aulani, Bay Lake, Boardwalk and Old Key west direct; purchased more AK, Vero Beach, Wilderness Lodge on the resale market. I wish we had more Old Key West so we could book a full week out 11 months ahead, but we have to wait until 7 months out for that one. We have talked about buying more OKW on the resale market to get the 11 month advantage, but I think 1400 points is more than enough!

Depending on whether you buy points from Disney or on the resale market, it's not likely you will get all your money back. We would never consider selling. But we use our points and we can afford the maintenance fees.

When we're gone, our kids will use them. I know a lot of people rent out points and can get most of their maintenance fees back each year that way. I have never rented out our points either...we use them all or give them away so never have to. Just go into this with your eyes wide open so everyone is happy at the end of the day.

Minniesgal 07-03-2014 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StitchBuddy (Post 51777355)
I am so excited! :banana: My husband has finally agreed to buy into DVC. :cool1: That being said, he wants to know the resort that resales well, just incase he doesn't like it.:confused3

Can't you rent points and stay DVC before buying to make sure he likes it as if you sell you will lose money it's just a question of how much. We bought our points because we both love to stay DVC and I would think twice about buying if I didn't know that.

disneynutz 07-03-2014 06:44 AM

If you don't know what you want, I would buy SSR, use the points for a few years to experience all of the resorts, then buy where you love to guarantee availability. You can either sell SSR or keep it for 7 month booking at other resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

DenLo 07-03-2014 06:55 AM

The Villas at Grand Californian resale the fastest and are the most expensive to buy resale. But if you want to stay at WDW all the time it would not be one I should buy as you cannot book a room at the 11 month mark in Florida with VGC points.

If your DH is not sure he even will like DVC, I think renting is the way to go to try staying in different DVC resorts a few times. That way you can see how you feel about the rooms and not having daily housekeeping.

Dean 07-03-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StitchBuddy (Post 51777355)
I am so excited! :banana: My husband has finally agreed to buy into DVC. :cool1: That being said, he wants to know the resort that resales well, just incase he doesn't like it.:confused3

As noted, they should all be roughly the same at the right price, assuming it's not HH or VB and assuming one got a good deal up front. Regardless there will be a loss of at least 10% plus the points used, possibly a little more. I'd recommend against buying unless one is more certain, I'd agree with a rental or 2 which should give you more info to make an informed decision. Assuming DVC makes sense otherwise (can plan at least 7 months out, pay cash, value staying on property, OK with the timeshare compromises and the like), that should help him feel more comfortable or avoid a bad decision depending on the outcome. Either way it should help avoid buying then having to sell again. One of the problems with buying thinking about resale is it's likely to lead to buying a higher demand resort at a higher price. If you decide to buy, I would recommend against buying a higher demand resort than needed (like BLT, VGF or BCV) thinking about resale. Rather I'd put my effort into deciding what's the best resort for you then getting the right price IF you decide to buy. Good luck.

ncurley 07-03-2014 08:07 AM

Based on what I have seen most of the brokers charge a big commission (about 10% of the sales price) so something to keep in mind if you think you want to resell eventually.

StitchBuddy 07-03-2014 11:28 AM

Thanks for answering my question! :thumbsup2 I am thinking we will buy at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Boardwalk. We haven't stayed at either one, but I like what they have offer. us it seems difficult to get them at the 7 month mark. We have stayed at Old Key West and we are staying at Saratoga Springs this August. We will buy resale, because we only intend to use it at Disney resorts. We should have done this a long time ago! We have been to WDW 10 times, my DD is 17, but we still enjoy it and hope to take grandchildren some day. In the mean time we can just go and enjoy all the different experiences Disney has to offer.

Andrew015 07-03-2014 12:09 PM

I don't have any firm data to back this up, but if I had to hazard an educated guess, I would think that the smaller resorts - BCV, VWL, DGC - are some of the "faster sellers" in the resale market. The number of resale contracts available for these resorts pale in comparison to some of the larger resorts - say AKL or SSR. Pretty simple laws of supply & demand kick in at this point, and these contracts usually don't last very long once put up for sale. Naturally, any contract that is priced "right" has a better chance of moving along more quickly.

I also agree that renting points as a trial would be your best bet prior to buying in. I do not recommend buying in to "see if you like it". While you can always resell a contract, you will be hard-pressed to recoup your initial investment, especially when factoring in things like closing costs and annual dues.
  • Pick the resorts that you think you and hubby will like best
  • Rent points at your top 2 resorts - perhaps even for a split-stay
  • If Hubby approves, start looking at resale listings and try to snatch the right contract at your favorite resort.
  • Enjoy

Deb & Bill 07-03-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minniesgal (Post 51778813)
Can't you rent points and stay DVC before buying to make sure he likes it as if you sell you will lose money it's just a question of how much. We bought our points because we both love to stay DVC and I would think twice about buying if I didn't know that.

I agree. Rent points or book directly from Disney first to see if you like it. Then buy if you do. But don't buy and then sell because he doesn't like it.

Andrew015 07-03-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 51778832)
If you don't know what you want, I would buy SSR, use the points for a few years to experience all of the resorts, then buy where you love to guarantee availability. You can either sell SSR or keep it for 7 month booking at other resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

Bill,

Normally I always agree with your posts and find your advice to new potential DVC buyers to be spot-on. But I disagree with this advice. Generally speaking, SSR is a "safe buy", for a few reasons. First and foremost, SSR is a newer resort with an extended expiration date as compared to some of the older resorts, and it is reasonably priced as compared to others. For those that "don't care where they stay" or simply love SSR, it is probably the best resort to own at. However, the OP hasn't indicated either of the above, and as a result, I would not give such advice. If the OP buys SSR and decides that she and/or her hubby does not like the resort after all, then they are "stuck" without an 11-month booking window at a resort that they would much prefer to stay at. SSR typically always has availability well within the 7-month window, so unless you love SSR or simply don't care where you stay, then there's not much sense in making that your home resort.

Again, I feel the most prudent approach for the OP is to try and norrow down the resorts that they like the most, or at least "think" they will like the most, then book 1-2 trips via renting from a reputable re-seller. This approach will help to reaffirm that DVC is the right fit, and more importantly, to see if they like the resorts that they have chosen. If all systems are a "go", then start the search process for the right contract.

supersnoop 07-03-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew015 (Post 51781125)
Bill,

Normally I always agree with your posts and find your advice to new potential DVC buyers to be spot-on. But I disagree with this advice. Generally speaking, SSR is a "safe buy", for a few reasons. First and foremost, SSR is a newer resort with an extended expiration date as compared to some of the older resorts, and it is reasonably priced as compared to others. For those that "don't care where they stay" or simply love SSR, it is probably the best resort to own at. However, the OP hasn't indicated either of the above, and as a result, I would not give such advice. If the OP buys SSR and decides that she and/or her hubby does not like the resort after all, then they are "stuck" without an 11-month booking window at a resort that they would much prefer to stay at. SSR typically always has availability well within the 7-month window, so unless you love SSR or simply don't care where you stay, then there's not much sense in making that your home resort.

Again, I feel the most prudent approach for the OP is to try and norrow down the resorts that they like the most, or at least "think" they will like the most, then book 1-2 trips via renting from a reputable re-seller. This approach will help to reaffirm that DVC is the right fit, and more importantly, to see if they like the resorts that they have chosen. If all systems are a "go", then start the search process for the right contract.

The idea behind Bill's advice is that the transaction costs of purchasing and selling SSR are roughly equivalent to renting points for a normal reservation.

For a 160 point contract, you're looking at $400 in closing costs, $800 in carrying costs (maintenance fees), and, if you decide to sell, $1,100 in commissions. That's $2,300 to purchase and sell the contract. Renting 160 points would cost you $2,240 at $14 per point.

So, worst case, if you hate DVC or decide you want to purchase a different resort, you're out roughly $60 and the opportunity cost from having ~$11,000 tied up for a year. Best case, you love SSR, or you're happy with seven-month availability, and you saved the expense of renting.

Since I assume anyone interested in purchasing is going to have the cash available, I think Bill's advice is great.

DVCMomBLT 07-03-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supersnoop (Post 51781755)
The idea behind Bill's advice is that the transaction costs of purchasing and selling SSR are roughly equivalent to renting points for a normal reservation.

For a 160 point contract, you're looking at $400 in closing costs, $800 in carrying costs (maintenance fees), and, if you decide to sell, $1,100 in commissions. That's $2,300 to purchase and sell the contract. Renting 160 points would cost you $2,240 at $14 per point.

So, worst case, if you hate DVC or decide you want to purchase a different resort, you're out roughly $60 and the opportunity cost from having ~$11,000 tied up for a year. Best case, you love SSR, or you're happy with seven-month availability, and you saved the expense of renting.

Since I assume anyone interested in purchasing is going to have the cash available, I think Bill's advice is great.

Agreed. Combined with discounted AP and DVC 10% discount it will probably end up cheaper.

3pletprincesses 07-03-2014 02:10 PM

I would rent before buying and I'm saying this because I'm also looking into buying and have been for the past year and educating myself first. Please don't think that I'm saying you are not educating yourself because that's not what I mean in any way but sometimes written words can be taken the wrong way

AKL is a very very pretty resort and I LOVE it BUT AKL is big, very big with lots of walking to get from point A to point B. I stayed there in Feb and it would take me as an adult who walks fast 20 minutes from the front entrance to my room. If I was doing it with kids who are not wasting time strolling, it would me more like 20-25 minutes. Parking, well Kidani is not so bad but Jambo, if you arrive late, you are looking at another long walk before you get to the building. Now that I am young and more then capable of walking I see no problem with all the walking but when I'm older, I'm not sure. that said, I will most likely buy there as I can't get a better view any where else and to me it's worth it. I like waking up in the morning and get myself a drink and go out in the balcony to see animals walk by. To me that worth all the walking but for other who don't necessarily care for the view, or spend little time at the resort, all the walking is not worth it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.