The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Selling DVC any sellers remorse? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3257899)

dlm1017 04-01-2014 02:03 PM

Selling DVC any sellers remorse?

Hi,
I listed my DVC through the Timeshare Store. Put it out there at a price that I thought I was willing to let it go for. I received an offer today for less but not a bad price. I am just having trouble letting go. I still have another contract for 175 pts so its not like I am going to be without ANY points but still..... :worried:

I know in the practical side of my brain I should sell but my emotional side is having trouble :sad2:

Has anyone been through this? any trouble "letting go"?:confused3

Lorilais_mommie 04-01-2014 02:52 PM

I don't know the feeling, but I thought I'd offer what I've read lately.. I think this happens a lot.. Just the other day on the ROFR.. Clearly a seller backed out of the deal.. I had a seller pull a listing, before even giving me an answer on my offer... I know people on here say leave emotion at the door when buying or selling DVC.. But I couldn't when I was buying, so I wouldn't expect a seller to.. I think it's hard b/c it means less Disney time.... I bet you've had wonderful times at the resorts in which you used those points.. In away you are saying I'm done with that part and moving on...

CMOORE185 04-01-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlm1017 (Post 51096258)
Hi,
I listed my DVC through the Timeshare Store. Put it out there at a price that I thought I was willing to let it go for. I received an offer today for less but not a bad price. I am just having trouble letting go. I still have another contract for 175 pts so its not like I am going to be without ANY points but still..... :worried:

I know in the practical side of my brain I should sell but my emotional side is having trouble :sad2:

If you are having doubts stick to your original price, you will then feel a little better if it sells.

ELMC 04-01-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlm1017 (Post 51096258)
Hi,

If you put your contract up for sale, it was probably for a good reason. It's ok to feel a bit sad, but you shouldn't let that stand in the way of doing what is probably best for you. You still have 175 points and you never know, maybe you'll buy again in the future and prices will be lower. :) Good luck with the sale.

DVC Doctor 04-01-2014 10:35 PM

The only contract I ever sold was to change resorts. So when I sold I just bought at a new resort.

DougEMG 04-02-2014 01:27 AM

I would look at why are you selling and are those still valid reasons for you to sell.

I sold one of my contracts in order to make what I considered to be a nice profit. Did I have second doubts about it, sure, but my original reasons still made the most since.

Good luck with you decision and don't try and second guess yourself.

bakerworld 04-06-2014 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMOORE185 (Post 51097354)
If you are having doubts stick to your original price, you will then feel a little better if it sells.

:thumbsup2

disneynutz 04-06-2014 08:29 AM

People by nature have a hard time getting rid of things. That's why some sellers take forever to complete the sale.

We have met several owners who just let their points expire because someday they intend to vacation again at WDW.

:earsboy: Bill

ClarabelleCow 04-06-2014 08:38 AM

If your happy with the price go for it. But, stick to your guns, I just sold one and feel I let it go to low. We didnt need the money (well we need it, just not in need right now), and my only regret is we didnt counter for a few more dollars.

CarolynMink 04-06-2014 03:05 PM

I do know how you feel. I have talked about selling one of my small contracts and I keep talking myself out of it. Everyone sells for different reasons, and if you put it up you are probably ready to let go. Good Luck.

dbs1228 04-06-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 51132265)
People by nature have a hard time getting rid of things. That's why some sellers take forever to complete the sale.

We have met several owners who just let their points expire because someday they intend to vacation again at WDW.

:earsboy: Bill

:scared1:

judydvc 04-21-2014 01:08 PM

I know how you feel. Last week I listed my big contract (150 points @ BWV) and when I got the email from TTS that someone wanted to buy my contract I felt a little sad. I still have 2 small contracts which I use more. But then I thought how nice some other family will get to enjoy Disney vacations!

ClarabelleCow 06-28-2014 10:15 PM

Just to add, closed in May and just this week my family decided they wanted to go!! So paying cash for the CR. Ouch!! But in reality we probably won't go for another 2-3 years, so while this 5 night trip is costing me 2 years worth of what I would have paid in maintenance. It's kind of a wash. Plus I even tried renting points and NOTHING available. Not even studios. Which was my biggest issue. I can no longer plan 11 months out. This trip is 5 months out and no room on points.

BWVPam 07-01-2014 11:50 AM

In 2006 we decided to sell our 70 point contract at the Beach Club. We did it because we needed to buy our oldest a car and then add him to the insurance, etc. and felt that financially it was better for us not to have that contract. We kept our 150 point contract at the Boardwalk. We made a huge profit on the points because it was a smaller contract and it sold the first day we listed it ($30 above what we paid for it). we were able to pay off the balance of the Boardwalk contract and lower our monthly payments by not paying on two DVC loans. Anyway, we have always regreted losing those points. Now, we are in a better place financially and have just decided to add on a contract at Old Key West (150 points) through a resale. Still getting those points for less than what we paid on either of our first two contracts.

I guess the point is that if you need to sell now for financial reasons, then let it go. You can always buy more later if you decide your don't have enough points.

JimMIA 07-01-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougEMG (Post 51100264)
I would look at why are you selling and are those still valid reasons for you to sell.

:thumbsup2

Everyone's reasons for selling are different and personal, but they are either valid or not. Most likely, your rational side is acting in your best interests and your emotional side is just doing what it is supposed to do.

Follow Doug's suggestion and look back at your reasons for listing for sale in the first place. Those reasons are probably still valid. Your emotional attachment to something you invested big bucks in and enjoyed is to be expected...but maybe not followed.

If selling that contract is in your family's best interests, sell and move on.