The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   disABILITIES! (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Changes in DAS? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3242145)

ltmoko 02-28-2014 11:41 AM

Changes in DAS?
 
Wondering if there has been any changed in DAS since they changed it in Oct? We went in Nov and could not get one for my wife who has D.J.D in both knees. She has a tough time with stairs, ramps and long waits standing up. They said she did not fit the criteria for a DAS card! Mobility is not an issue in WDW to get a card. Well I gotta tell you it is, but they said no and we had a tough time! Hoping that things have changed some by our next trip this oct!!! Thanks!

aaarcher86 02-28-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltmoko (Post 50828247)
Wondering if there has been any changed in DAS since they changed it in Oct? We went in Nov and could not get one for my wife who has D.J.D in both knees. She has a tough time with stairs, ramps and long waits standing up. They said she did not fit the criteria for a DAS card! Mobility is not an issue in WDW to get a card. Well I gotta tell you it is, but they said no and we had a tough time! Hoping that things have changed some by our next trip this oct!!! Thanks!

There has been no change in regards to mobility and the DAS. Someone with mobility issues is given the recommendation of renting a mobility aid such as a wheelchair or EVC.

Hannathy 02-28-2014 12:16 PM

Wouldn't a wheelchair or ECV solve the problem? How is she able to handle the distances from ride to ride all day if the length of the line is to long? Even with a DAS card you still have to go thru the line.

SueM in MN 02-28-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannathy (Post 50828568)
Wouldn't a wheelchair or ECV solve the problem? How is she able to handle the distances from ride to ride all day if the length of the line is to long? Even with a DAS card you still have to go thru the line.

With no place to sit.
And, during a DAS for many people means more walking because you have to go to the attraction to get a Return Time and then go back to ride.

The average guest walks at 3-6 miles a day in a Disney park, much of it outside of lines. We kept track on our last trip and actually walked at least 6 miles per day (and were not doing a lot of backtracking or anything that made the distance longer).
Most guests with mobility related needs would have them met with using a mobility device (wheelchair, ECV, walker/rollator) in lines/attractions. Mobility devices can be used in attractions without DAS.

Mrsjvb 02-28-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltmoko (Post 50828247)
Wondering if there has been any changed in DAS since they changed it in Oct? We went in Nov and could not get one for my wife who has D.J.D in both knees. She has a tough time with stairs, ramps and long waits standing up. They said she did not fit the criteria for a DAS card! Mobility is not an issue in WDW to get a card. Well I gotta tell you it is, but they said no and we had a tough time! Hoping that things have changed some by our next trip this oct!!! Thanks!

the DAS is ONLY for people who physically cannot WAIT IN LINES.

her issues can be met with an ECV or wheelchair which has ALWAYS been the standard response by Disney. ECVs and WC may enter 98% of all lines.


as such she does not qualify for a DAS.

Schmeck 02-28-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrsjvb (Post 50829000)
the DAS is ONLY for people who physically cannot WAIT IN LINES.

her issues can be met with an ECV or wheelchair which has ALWAYS been the standard response by Disney. ECVs and WC may enter 98% of all lines.


as such she does not qualify for a DAS.

Not really - some people can physically wait in line (as in, they have no physical issues with it) but other issues cause it to be impossible. For people who cannot physically wait in line, the suggestion is to use an ECV or wheelchair.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.