The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Benefits of Purchasing From Disney Directly (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3218688)

kimmharris 01-08-2014 06:39 AM

Benefits of Purchasing From Disney Directly
 
Are there any benefits to purchasing from Disney as opposed to a reseller?

rpk1951 01-08-2014 07:37 AM

May be easier to get the use year you want.
Potential for fully loaded contract and accaiaionally points from current and future year.
My opinion only, but an unrestricted use of points for other things like cruise.

There are others here that are experts. I have bought both ways. Initial large contract resale and a few add ons direct to match use year at home resort.

magicaldisney 01-08-2014 07:47 AM

Closing will not take as long as resale. Points will be in your account much faster than resale.

For a one time only deal, if you buy direct, sometimes the sales rep can help you get a very hard to get reservation.

We have both direct and resale points and though I don't regret my direct points, we would only go resale from this point out. We only plan on using our points at WDW DVC resorts so the restrictions on resale don't bother us and we are not in a hurry to have points put into our account.

chalee94 01-08-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmharris (Post 50424408)
Are there any benefits to purchasing from Disney as opposed to a reseller?

the main advantage is that you get points (and into the system) faster.

also, if you wanted to buy VGF, direct is the only real option at this point.

you can typically get exactly the number of pts and the exact UY month you want more easily by purchasing direct. if you want exactly 57 pts, that's not a realistic option when purchasing resale.

(sometimes there is a waitlist for certain UYs at certain resorts when buying direct so it's not impossible to find what you want resale more quickly on rare occasions.)

direct buyers do have the option of trading out of the DVC system for certain options like disney cruises, disney hotels (like YC, the poly, POFQ), Adventures by Disney trips and certain fancy resorts like the hotel del coronado in san diego. the point cost for such trades is too high to really call it a "benefit" but if you like having the option more than you care what it costs financially, then that might be your thing.

just remember that if you need to sell your DVC contract at some point, you will be dealing with a reseller and selling at resale prices. disney won't offer you money to take back your contract. if you paid the higher direct prices and family circumstances force you to sell earlier than expected, you will lose a lot more than if you bought resale.

disneynutz 01-08-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpk1951 (Post 50424693)
May be easier to get the use year you want.
Potential for fully loaded contract and accaiaionally points from current and future year.
My opinion only, but an unrestricted use of points for other things like cruise.

There are others here that are experts. I have bought both ways. Initial large contract resale and a few add ons direct to match use year at home resort.

A couple of years ago, Disney blacked out DVC point cruises and if I remember correctly, the blackout lasted almost a year. Also not all cruises/cabins are available for booking with points, Disney controls the inventory and decides what cabins they sell for cash and what cabins they allow DVC to book.

:earsboy: Bill

disneydenisel 01-08-2014 03:17 PM

Benefits of buying direct:

Points are in your account in a day or two
You can use a credit card for reward points
Closing costs are lower than resale
You get the current UY points
No ROFR worry

When we bought VGC direct, the direct price was about the same as resale, and the few resale contracts we offered on got ROFR'd, so it was really our best option. Calculating in the current UY's points with little or no MFs to pay, it was probably a better deal for that resort. Plus no headache!

If the price different had been significant and inventory had been plentiful, I might have waited for a resale contract, but I'd still be waiting now...

IandGsmom 01-08-2014 08:57 PM

We bought both ways. Buying direct was far easier and more convenient. I did our Aulani add on over the phone and presto point available. That being said if I knew then what I know now, I would do resale for sure.

mickgirth 01-09-2014 03:32 PM

Just read your post...didn't realize that if I bought a large contract via resale market (I did), that I could then purchase smaller add-on contract(s) with same use year direct. Is that what you did? Thought only VGF, Aulani, and AK were for sale direct.

sssteph 01-09-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneydenisel (Post 50428424)
Benefits of buying direct:

Points are in your account in a day or two
You can use a credit card for reward points
Closing costs are lower than resale
You get the current UY points
No ROFR worry

Also if you have Disney Visa Card, you get 0% financing for 6 months, plus the rewards points.
:cool1:

disneynutz 01-09-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickgirth (Post 50436043)
Just read your post...didn't realize that if I bought a large contract via resale market (I did), that I could then purchase smaller add-on contract(s) with same use year direct. Is that what you did? Thought only VGF, Aulani, and AK were for sale direct.

All resorts are available direct but Disney makes more money selling their new projects and they also have accounting reasons. That's why they don't really advertise the fact.

Recently they have created a shortage of direct non-active resorts probably to get buyers to stick with the active resorts, they are taking wait list requests for the non active resorts. Disney can break the contracts and put them in a pot to sell by resort and UY. There has also been speculation that larger contracts may get filled first depending on point availability.

:earsboy: Bill

Dean 01-09-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmharris (Post 50424408)
Are there any benefits to purchasing from Disney as opposed to a reseller?

For resorts easily available resale the answer is truly no. As noted, you may (or may not) have more choices of availability and UY, you might get in a little sooner but overall these are minor issues compared to paying roughly half and giving up NOTHING of long term value based on current and likely long term issues. Put another way, the Disney Collection, DCL, Concierge Collection and ABD are not reasonable values to use DVC points for if you have the choice to plan to buy only the points you need otherwise. These options never return enough value to justify buying for that purpose and NONE of them are guaranteed or contractual.

alagille 06-03-2014 09:05 PM

I just tonight was offered (and accepted) 50 direct BCV points. I waitlisted for these MAYBE 2 weeks ago. When I originally talked with the rep, she said I may have to wait for up to 8 months and I wasn't in a hurry, so no big deal. Quite surprised how quick it was though.

disneydenisel 06-03-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alagille (Post 51576738)
I just tonight was offered (and accepted) 50 direct BCV points. I waitlisted for these MAYBE 2 weeks ago. When I originally talked with the rep, she said I may have to wait for up to 8 months and I wasn't in a hurry, so no big deal. Quite surprised how quick it was though.

Wow, that was quick! Congratulations :cool1:! What UY were you waitlisting?

alagille 06-03-2014 09:10 PM

Several primary reasons I bought: I love BCV #1, will stay every few years and I don't need a ton. Second, I want the perk of being able to book ABD at original opening day prices. Some of the trips can rise as much as $1000pp, so minimal investment in only 50 pts, IMO, big return. I won't get an AP anytime soon again and I like the discounts, options of DVC member only trips. Plus, I LOVE BCV...

alagille 06-03-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneydenisel (Post 51576770)
Wow, that was quick! Congratulations :cool1:! What UY were you waitlisting?

I didn't pick a UY as this was my first contract. I got March. Don't know how difficult it is to get specific ones though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.