The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Credit card classification for DVC charge? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3127646)

cseca 06-16-2013 02:53 PM

Credit card classification for DVC charge?
 
Does anybody know what is DVC charge classified as on your credit card?

Thanks!

MoreTravels 06-16-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cseca (Post 48697908)
Does anybody know what is DVC charge classified as on your credit card?

Thanks!

For me, it's all "Travel"... so everything you buy from gift shop or Disney property, charged on room key, will be sent to your credit card as travel related stuff, just like an airlines ticket.

disneynutz 06-16-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cseca (Post 48697908)
Does anybody know what is DVC charge classified as on your credit card?

Thanks!

Buying a DVC contract with a charge card is a 1% transaction.

edit: a Disney Chase CC you can defer the interest on a $10,000 charge for 6 months.

:earsboy: Bill

Dean 06-16-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48697955)
Buying a DVC contract with a charge card is a 1% transaction.

edit: a Disney Chase CC you can defer the interest on a $10,000 charge for 6 months.

:earsboy: Bill

Is it treated as a cash advance?

disneynutz 06-16-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 48698243)
Is it treated as a cash advance?

No it's a charge with zero interest for 6 months.

http://disneyrewards.com/perks/card-perks

:earsboy: Bill

cseca 06-16-2013 04:21 PM

Is it classified as travel? Real estate mortgage?

I'm curious because one of our cc has a special for 5% coming up soon :)

disneynutz 06-16-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cseca (Post 48698535)
Is it classified as travel? Real estate mortgage?

I'm curious because one of our cc has a special for 5% coming up soon :)

Not travel, maybe mortgage if you use it to pay for the loan.

Good luck trying to find out for sure, I just spread my VGF purchase across my cards to find out how the charge is classified but each merchant account used at DVD applied a different description and the points won't appear on my statements for another billing cycle.

:earsboy: Bill

cseca 06-16-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48698587)
Not travel, maybe mortgage if you use it to pay for the loan.

Good luck trying to find out for sure, I just spread my VGF purchase across my cards to find out how the charge is classified but each merchant account used at DVD applied a different description and the points won't appear on my statements for another billing cycle.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks!
That's what I thought.
I was hoping... the extra 4% is sweet :)

Dean 06-16-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48698472)
No it's a charge with zero interest for 6 months.

http://disneyrewards.com/perks/card-perks

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks, I thought you were saying it was a 1% cost and I was trying to figure out why. I guess you were referring to the rewards instead.

disneynutz 06-16-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 48700135)
Thanks, I thought you were saying it was a 1% cost and I was trying to figure out why. I guess you were referring to the rewards instead.

Sorry, you are correct, the reward is 1%.

:earsboy: Bill

jillmc40 06-17-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48700722)
Sorry, you are correct, the reward is 1%.

:earsboy: Bill

On the Disney Premier it is 2%, correct? I have a question about the 6 months no interest...I had this once before on my discover (not for Disney but something else) and I realized that if I used my Discover card while I had another balance on there, they charged me interest for the other amount, even though I paid it off in full. So if I put 7500.00 on my card this month for half of my points, and I shop during the month and spend 2,000.00. When the billing cycle rolls around and I pay 2,000.00 will I be charged interest? Discover explained it to me that lower interest charges get paid off before higher interest so in essence if I paid 2,000.00 at the billing cycle, I would be putting 2,000 towards the 7500, not towards the 2000. I'm sure this makes sense to some people, but to me that is totally ridiculous. I don't want to freeze my Disney card because I have a balance of an amount that was supposed to be "interest free".

I realize I am comparing Discover to Visa, etc. but Discover acted like this was how all cc's do business and I was curious if anyone knew if Disney Chase worked this way. I have tried to read the fine print but I always get lost in fine print :confused3

RSWA2 06-17-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cseca (Post 48698535)
Is it classified as travel? Real estate mortgage?

I'm curious because one of our cc has a special for 5% coming up soon :)

Is this for the Chase Freedom card? I emailed them last month asking them what is included under Travel for Q3, they said they didn't know yet, but to ask again as Q2 ends, so I would email them.

disneynutz 06-17-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillmc40 (Post 48706336)
On the Disney Premier it is 2%, correct? I have a question about the 6 months no interest...I had this once before on my discover (not for Disney but something else) and I realized that if I used my Discover card while I had another balance on there, they charged me interest for the other amount, even though I paid it off in full. So if I put 7500.00 on my card this month for half of my points, and I shop during the month and spend 2,000.00. When the billing cycle rolls around and I pay 2,000.00 will I be charged interest? Discover explained it to me that lower interest charges get paid off before higher interest so in essence if I paid 2,000.00 at the billing cycle, I would be putting 2,000 towards the 7500, not towards the 2000. I'm sure this makes sense to some people, but to me that is totally ridiculous. I don't want to freeze my Disney card because I have a balance of an amount that was supposed to be "interest free".

I realize I am comparing Discover to Visa, etc. but Discover acted like this was how all cc's do business and I was curious if anyone knew if Disney Chase worked this way. I have tried to read the fine print but I always get lost in fine print :confused3

You are correct, 2% on the paid Premier card. If I remember correctly Disney Chase also applies the payments to the lower interest transactions first.

I only use Disney Chase for special Disney purchases and I don't charge anything to the card if I have a zero interest program running.

:earsboy: Bill

jillmc40 06-17-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48706587)
You are correct, 2% on the paid Premier card. If I remember correctly Disney Chase also applies the payments to the lower interest transactions first.

I only use Disney Chase for special Disney purchases and I don't charge anything to the card if I have a zero interest program running.

:earsboy: Bill

I was pretty much planning on that happening, so I will just pay it off. I use it for anything I can get 2% on (gas, grocery, Disney), otherwise I use Discover. I can't trust my DH to not use it for 6 months, he has a hard time following all of my cc rules :rotfl2:

elfbo 06-17-2013 04:21 PM

Okay, i just double checked my statement for my chase disney card. We used the card for our downpayment in early may, with the 6 months no interest. We do enough charges to be more than the minimum monthly due. We made payments equal to or more than the new charges on the card. No interest on the downpayment, and the new charges were paid off first and we were not charged interest on those either (since we paid before end of the billing cycle).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.