The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney for Families (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Disney World with a 1 year old? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3091310)

KilroyWasHere 04-04-2013 06:31 PM

Disney World with a 1 year old?

I have been to Disney many times and have always had a plan in place months ahead of time. As of now, my wife and I are taking our 1 year old in 6 weeks and we are having trouble planning. Does anyone have any tips, ideas, strategies for doing Disney with a one year old?

I am also new to the boards so please let me know if I am in the wrong forum!

Metro West 04-04-2013 07:03 PM

Welcome!

Joan S. 04-04-2013 08:25 PM

Hi, Welcome to the DIS!! It has been a while since I took a 1year old to Disney but I do remember that being a GREAT age!! They are just entertained by everything. Bring a comfy stroller and anything else you consider essential for the day and just go and ENJOY!! That age can do lots of rides (on your lap of course :)) You and your wife can do Baby swap if you want to ride a BIG ride. My one year olds had no fear of characters so that made for some great photos. If you feel you need a break midday go back to your hotel and rest or let the baby nap in the stroller. There are Baby Care buildings in the parks,check these out if baby needs some quiet time. One thing to be careful of is the Florida sun on a baby's skin. Sun hat,sunscreen and light color/weight cover ups when walking around.Also extra liquids and seek out air conditioning to keep baby happy. Since you are familiar with WDW, I am sure that will make it much easier to enjoy your vacation!! Joan

KilroyWasHere 04-05-2013 09:35 AM

Thanks Joan!

We'll have to look into the Baby Swap and Baby Care buildings...

aimeeinohio 04-05-2013 12:35 PM

My bestie went in February with her 15 month old and they had a wonderful time. Baby was pretty cool with the characters, even liked the fireworks.

I think the key with a little one is not to plan too much, and take lots of photos! :)

KilroyWasHere 04-08-2013 11:52 AM

I think that is the route we will take - minimal planning and just enjoy it. I'm wondering if the Hoop-Dee-Doo will be too much for him......

How do you get the calendar countdown shown on your reply?

DisneyBride03 04-10-2013 08:18 AM

We are also taking our DD in October, when she will be 1. We are experienced Disney-ites as well, so we are looking forward to experiencing it with her for the first time. I hope you have a great time and it's a magical trip!

mrsap 04-10-2013 08:43 AM

We took our 15 mo. old in November and he LOVED it!!! Make sure you bring a stroller (one that reclines so they can nap if needed), take breaks (at the parks as well as leaving for a couple hours so they can relax and recharge), bring water and extra pacifiers if they use them and lots of snacks! I recommend Chef Mickeys, he Loved the characters!!! ... And lots of fireworks!!!!! You will have a great time! Enjoy!

KilroyWasHere 04-10-2013 09:21 AM

We are scheduled for 3 Character meals: 'Ohana, Tusker House, and Garden Grill. I have been thinking about changing one of them to Chef Mickey's as that is where I had my first character meal when I was a kid. Chef Mickey's was in the Marketplace back then...

We are always excited for our Disney trip but taking kids doubles it. It is very encouraging to here stories of 1 year olds with great experiences!

123LuckyMom 04-10-2013 09:23 AM

We just took our 11 month old in early March. She LOVED it! We did take a midday break for a quiet hotel nap most days, though not all. DD did fall asleep in the stroller just fine. We brought food for her with us, and I nursed discreetly on various benches. Most of the men's rooms did have changing tables so DH and I took turns changing diapers. It was great!

KilroyWasHere 04-10-2013 09:28 AM

We are going to try and let him rest a couple days for longer periods of time so he can watch Fantasmic, The Main Street Electrical Parade, and Fireworks.

I'm hoping 3 - 4 character meals isn't too much?

mrsap 04-10-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KilroyWasHere (Post 48064243)
We are going to try and let him rest a couple days for longer periods of time so he can watch Fantasmic, The Main Street Electrical Parade, and Fireworks.

I'm hoping 3 - 4 character meals isn't too much?

Good plan! I do not think so. We did two (Chef Mickeys & CRT) and wished we did more! We loved them! Planning on two or three again this November! Enjoy!!!!

KilroyWasHere 04-10-2013 09:59 AM

This is totally off topic, but how do I get my ticker to be attached to all my threads/replies?

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...bsefhwyr6w.png

mrsap 04-10-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KilroyWasHere (Post 48064571)
This is totally off topic, but how do I get my ticker to be attached to all my threads/replies?

There is a place in your profile for it. Open up your profile to edit it and scroll down, you will see a box where you paste your code. Good luck with everything!

KilroyWasHere 04-10-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsap (Post 48065063)
There is a place in your profile for it. Open up your profile to edit it and scroll down, you will see a box where you paste your code. Good luck with everything!

Thank you! I'm not sure if I found it but I will keep looking.