The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Your best Disney fact or insider story... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3088430)

bcrook 03-30-2013 03:05 PM

Your best Disney fact or insider story...

I am going to WDW with my father again in June. This will be almost exactly 40 years after he took me as a child in 1973. Even though we have both been back many times on our own, this will be the first time we are returning together. He is kind of a Walt Disney Historian (amateur of course :)).

I need some new material to dazzle him on this trip. What are those tidbits of knowledge that you save for the hardest to impress? What are your favorite things to show people? It can be about Walt or anything at WDW. I need your help.

Itinkso 03-30-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrook
I am going to WDW with my father again in June. This will be almost exactly 40 years after he took me as a child in 1973. Even though we have both been back many times on our own, this will be the first time we are returning together. He is kind of a Walt Disney Historian (amateur of course :)).

I need some new material to dazzle him on this trip. What are those tidbits of knowledge that you save for the hardest to impress? What are your favorite things to show people? It can be about Walt or anything at WDW. I need your help.

Has he taken the KTTK tour? The tour is filled with insider tidbits as well as many looks backstage. My daughters and I found it fascinating!

jackieinJuneau 03-30-2013 03:30 PM

I would recommend the podcast The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill. After the Dis unplugged it's my favorite! It's not travel tips but an ongoing conversation between Len Testa, who runs the Touring Plans website and is one of the Unofficial Guide authors and Jim Hill Disney historian and author. It's funny and I have learned so much Disney parks trivia! I didn't know there was a wave machine in the 7 Seas lagoon when the Polynesian opened. It worked too well and washed all the sand off the beach!

bcrook 03-30-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackieinJuneau (Post 47957058)
I would recommend the podcast The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill. After the Dis unplugged it's my favorite! It's not travel tips but an ongoing conversation between Len Testa, who runs the Touring Plans website and is one of the Unofficial Guide authors and Jim Hill Disney historian and author. It's funny and I have learned so much Disney parks trivia! I didn't know there was a wave machine in the 7 Seas lagoon when the Polynesian opened. It worked too well and washed all the sand off the beach!

That is a good one! That would be a good one to tell on the monorail or boat ride from TTC! :thumbsup2

micmac727 03-30-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrook (Post 47956897)

I recommend getting a hidden secrets of Disney world book, to find some cool hidden secrets revealed.

bcrook 03-30-2013 03:55 PM

We are both Disney veterans. We are familiar with the books. Hoping to hear the favorites of the veterans on here. Compare notes. It's a Father's Day trip, the best thing I give him is good stories.

surferdude 03-30-2013 04:33 PM

My favorite thing is that if you look at the roof of HM, you will notice that the pillars (I guess that is what they could be called?) are shaped like chess pieces (I believe knights and rooks). The designer loved chess and liked to incorporate it into his rides (the reason that POTC has the 2 skeletons playing chess). Its something people tend to overlook (after all how many people look at the top of HM).

lucas 03-30-2013 05:12 PM

Has he been down in the tunnels of the MK?

Definitely do the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We just did it a couple of weeks ago and it was well worth the time and money. :thumbsup2

AuroraMeansDawn 03-30-2013 05:20 PM

Our ferry driver mentioned to us as we were waiting to go from the MK to the GF that one of the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon has a waterfall on it because the Imagineers had some leftover concrete. That one goes to the island but it's just there. Not sure about the validity but it was interesting. Sadly I've forgotten the names of the two islands that he pointed out.

Also I heard that Roy Disney insisted that the castle be the first thing finished in the construction of the MK to inspire the workers as they came to work each day.

bcrook 03-30-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surferdude (Post 47957476)
My favorite thing is that if you look at the roof of HM, you will notice that the pillars (I guess that is what they could be called?) are shaped like chess pieces (I believe knights and rooks). The designer loved chess and liked to incorporate it into his rides (the reason that POTC has the 2 skeletons playing chess). Its something people tend to overlook (after all how many people look at the top of HM).

Great stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucas (Post 47957762)
Has he been down in the tunnels of the MK?

Definitely do the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We just did it a couple of weeks ago and it was well worth the time and money. :thumbsup2

I will recommend it to him. :thumbsup2

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraMeansDawn (Post 47957813)
Our ferry driver mentioned to us as we were waiting to go from the MK to the GF that one of the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon has a waterfall on it because the Imagineers had some leftover concrete. That one goes to the island but it's just there. Not sure about the validity but it was interesting. Sadly I've forgotten the names of the two islands that he pointed out.

Also I heard that Roy Disney insisted that the castle be the first thing finished in the construction of the MK to inspire the workers as they came to work each day.

I will see what I can verify. Fun story!

mesaboy2 03-30-2013 06:13 PM

The odd pink color of Tower of Terror is supposedly to make it blend with Morocco when viewed across WS lagoon from near Mexico.

Plaid Princess 03-30-2013 06:14 PM

I haven't read any of the books but here's a few I've picked up along the way:
  • The off color brown pavement in Liberty Square represents the sewage that would have run through a colonial town.
  • With the exception of the flag pole in town square, all the flags on main street are not true American flags so that they can be left out overnight.
  • The castle is 199 feet tall, to avoid having to put a red light on top for aviation safety.
  • The color that construction walls are often painted is called "Go Away Green", it was chosen specifically because guests are less likely to notice it.
  • When the park first opened, many different colored flags were placed along the roadways coming into the MK. Guests were polled as to which color they noticed. Purple was the most commonly spotted color, which is why the directional signs on Disney property are purple.

bcrook 03-30-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaboy2 (Post 47958205)
The odd pink color of Tower of Terror is supposedly to make it blend with Morocco when viewed across WS lagoon from near Mexico.

No way! That is good story whether it is true or not!

bcrook 03-30-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaid Princess (Post 47958211)
I haven't read any of the books but here's a few I've picked up along the way:
  • The off color brown pavement in Liberty Square represents the sewage that would have run through a colonial town.
  • With the exception of the flag pole in town square, all the flags on main street are not true American flags so that they can be left out overnight.
  • The castle is 199 feet tall, to avoid having to put a red light on top for aviation safety.
  • The color that construction walls are often painted is called "Go Away Green", it was chosen specifically because guests are less likely to notice it.
  • When the park first opened, many different colored flags were placed along the roadways coming into the MK. Guests were polled as to which color they noticed. Purple was the most commonly spotted color, which is why the directional signs on Disney property are purple.

All about color. This is going to be a fun list. Thanks. :goodvibes

soccer_mickey 03-30-2013 07:54 PM

To find out how far apart to put trashcans, guests were given a candy at the gates to see how long they would hold onto the wrapper. Walt counted their steps, figuring it was 30, so trashcans are no more than 30 steps from each other.

Mickey has 290 different costumes and Minnie has 200.

A Liberty Bell replica was given to every state. Since Pennsylvania has the real one, they gave their replica to Disney, making Florida the only state to have two.

It took less than 30 minutes to evacuate all the guests on 9/11.

Each species of animal in AK have their own sound that they are trained to come back to be fed when they hear it played over the loudspeakers.