The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What name/s to put on title? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081611)

sndral 03-17-2013 01:09 PM

What name/s to put on title?
 
If I bite the bullet and start this buying DVC business does anyone have any thoughts about who's names should be on the deed? In my case I have 1 adult child, any reason to put him on the title, any reason not to?

montrealdisneylovers 03-17-2013 01:39 PM

Anyone whose name is on the title as an owner will get a blue member card which can be used for various discounts. If your adult child will use your membership and travel without you, it would be beneficial to have their own member card.

Others have warned against this as your contracts could be subject to seizure in case of adult childs bankrupcy or divorce.

Dean 03-17-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sndral (Post 47825460)
If I bite the bullet and start this buying DVC business does anyone have any thoughts about who's names should be on the deed? In my case I have 1 adult child, any reason to put him on the title, any reason not to?

they would legally own it and it could be at risk for divorce, financials, etc. The perks, exchanges would be the main reasons.

chitwnnole 03-18-2013 10:10 PM

If I just put my name on the deed would my immediate household people (family) be able to get annual pass discounts, food discounts and merchandise discounts when at Disney ?

There is myself, my wife and three children ages 5,11,14. Do they get the discounts if they are not on the deed ?

Lynne M 03-18-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitwnnole (Post 47841071)
If I just put my name on the deed would my immediate household people (family) be able to get annual pass discounts, food discounts and merchandise discounts when at Disney ?

There is myself, my wife and three children ages 5,11,14. Do they get the discounts if they are not on the deed ?

Well, your children couldn't be on the deed, as minors can't own real estate. But yes, immediate family living at your address can get the AP discount.

I believe the food and merchandise discounts may require the DVC member card, so you would have to be present in order to use the discount if you were the only one on the deed.

montrealdisneylovers 03-19-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne M (Post 47841315)
Well, your children couldn't be on the deed, as minors can't own real estate. But yes, immediate family living at your address can get the AP discount.

I believe the food and merchandise discounts may require the DVC member card, so you would have to be present in order to use the discount if you were the only one on the deed.



This is correct as it happened to us this December. My daughter was purchasing some merchandise and I had to present my DVC member card to get the discount. She could not get the discount without my presence.

sndral 03-19-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne M (Post 47841315)
I believe the food and merchandise discounts may require the DVC member card, so you would have to be present in order to use the discount if you were the only one on the deed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers (Post 47842339)
[/B]

This is correct as it happened to us this December. My daughter was purchasing some merchandise and I had to present my DVC member card to get the discount. She could not get the discount without my presence.

Mmm, this is news to me. He lives in his own household (and has a different last name) and at some pt. he'll hopefully marry and have children, so it might be better to have him on the deed so that he and his theoretical future immediate family would have access to any discounts available.

montrealdisneylovers 03-19-2013 01:06 PM

I plan to add my daughters to our contracts when the youngest turns 18. I understand the risks involved but they are good kids with good heads on their shoulders.

The other option would be to buy another small contract which would be under a different membership number and put all four of our names on it. I still have 2 years to decide. However, I do know that they will use our membership at some point without us, and I want them to have all the benefits.

babesboo99 03-19-2013 02:24 PM

I will be new to the DVC once everything goes through. My question is, what type of discounts do members get? are they good enough for me to put my eldest daughter on the deed

montrealdisneylovers 03-19-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babesboo99 (Post 47847279)
I will be new to the DVC once everything goes through. My question is, what type of discounts do members get? are they good enough for me to put my eldest daughter on the deed

The discounts and perks come and go. I know this past year there was an excellent discount on premium annual passes which many members purchased (do not know the details as it did not work with our travel plans).

As a member you can purchase a TIW (Tables in Wonderland) card at a discount and get 20% off many meals. If you do not purchase the card, you can still get 10% off at many places just by showing your blue member card. You get 10 - 15 % off merchandise sold in parks and resorts. I believe there are currently discounts for golf and cirque du soleil.

A perk currently offered to members is the availability to use TOWL (Top of the World Lounge) when staying on site. Also members have the privilege of pool hopping to many resorts.

This is only some I can think of right off the top of my head. I am sure other members can add their favorites. Like I said, these can change but it is nice to get some discounts when you can.

Dean 03-19-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sndral (Post 47846298)
Mmm, this is news to me. He lives in his own household (and has a different last name) and at some pt. he'll hopefully marry and have children, so it might be better to have him on the deed so that he and his theoretical future immediate family would have access to any discounts available.

Technically he would not qualify for the pass discounts even now. Adding him would change that and make his family (as defined by DVC) qualify as well.

tlh 03-20-2013 11:48 AM

How many can be on a deed? I know it was mentioned immediate family, but do they have to live in the same house with the same address? For instance could my mom receive the annual pass discount even though we don't live at the same address?

chasshan 03-20-2013 12:43 PM

Hi, I'm new to all this too; just at the very end of my first DVC contract process.
For the OP, are you sure you don't want to have your wife as the second deed owner?

Could it be inconvenient for her to not be on it? Will she be able to call and make or cancel reservations....be able to check in if you are busy with the kids etc. ?

My husband passed away unexpectedly last year at the age of 49. We have a long-time Worldmark the Club, by Wyndham timeshare ownership and I was not on the deed. (long story) Several months later, and I'm still not on the deed. It has been a pain. It had to be run through probate process, I have to pay a large fee for "change of ownership", use an attorney to file paper work etc. In the mean time my kids and I haven't been able to use any points or take our usual vacations or getaways.
At least make sure it would be an easy process for her to become the owner, if something were to happen to you. I know it's not what anyone wants to think about, but unfortunately bad things happen sometimes, and depending on what state you live in and their laws/rules; it could be challenging, costly and just more paperwork for your wife if, God forbid, something were to happen to you.

Then again, maybe with DVC the policies for spouses are different for booking, canceling, check-in etc. Can any DVC owner shed some light on this?
Shanna

sndral 03-20-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasshan (Post 47856916)
For the OP, are you sure you don't want to have your wife as the second deed owner?

Could it be inconvenient for her to not be on it? Will she be able to call and make or cancel reservations....be able to check in if you are busy with the kids etc. ?

My husband passed away unexpectedly last year at the age of 49. We have a long-time Worldmark the Club, by Wyndham timeshare ownership and I was not on the deed. (long story) Several months later, and I'm still not on the deed. It has been a pain. It had to be run through probate process, I have to pay a large fee for "change of ownership", use an attorney to file paper work etc. In the mean time my kids and I haven't been able to use any points or take our usual vacations or getaways.
At least make sure it would be an easy process for her to become the owner, if something were to happen to you. I know it's not what anyone wants to think about, but unfortunately bad things happen sometimes, and depending on what state you live in and their laws/rules; it could be challenging, costly and just more paperwork for your wife if, God forbid, something were to happen to you.

Then again, maybe with DVC the policies for spouses are different for booking, canceling, check-in etc. Can any DVC owner shed some light on this?
Shanna

I am the OP, and I don't have a wife (I've been a wife, in the past) but the points you raise are helpful in my decision making as I only have the one adult child who will inherit everything when I am no longer around, so ease of transfer and his ability to use the points w/out a legal hassle might be yet another reason to put him on the deed once I've located that elusive perfect first resale contract.

chasshan 03-20-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitwnnole (Post 47841071)
If I just put my name on the deed would my immediate household people (family) be able to get annual pass discounts, food discounts and merchandise discounts when at Disney ?

There is myself, my wife and three children ages 5,11,14. Do they get the discounts if they are not on the deed ?


My apologies OP. I thought the above post was from you....as a second question. I thought I checked to make sure it was a second post and question from you (OP), but obviously I got confused.

Sounds like it would be the right thing for you, to put your son's name on the deed. That's what I did for my recent purchase. My oldest is 24 so he is on the deed with me. If I add another contract in future years, I'll likely put another child on that second deed with me.

Good luck! I know it's a big decision.
Shanna


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.